S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old July 24th, 2015, 02:33 PM   #1
Bradleyyates88

Default Review and opinions,red hub outdoor game changers

I have been in the market for new outdoor wheels for our less than perfect indoor floor and have had a hard time finding reviews and feedback. I am getting more involved in skating and needing new and better equipment. I am not going to put anyone on blast for bad advise or guidance. That's just not me.

Here's the deal, my training partner just purchased the blue hub outdoor game changers and he likes them a lot. Feels very confident on them, great grip, roll, and can get on the edge very easy. I called around checking on things and after a few places still haven't returned my calls a week later (trying to figure out the actual hardness XXa of the different makes wanting something around an 84a). The last person I tried to contact called me back and we talked and he informed me the red hub outdoor game changers would be the way to go. Me being a sprinter with fast feet and loving to get over in the turns I still have my doubts with the larger hub but I ordered them givin his reputation.

They should be in today or tomorrow and I will hopefully get to give them a good beat down this weekend to see if they are what I am hoping for. As soon as I do I will get back on here with my thoughts
Bradleyyates88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #2
WJCIV

Do you happen to know if your floor is coated with an oil or water based coating? Different wheels work better on different coatings. If I recall correctly WRW/TLTF works well on a water base.

I don't know that an actual hardness would help you. The compounds and profile vary between companies, and the bands add another layer of complexity, so directly comparing A values isn't so useful as you might think. The red hub will be stiffer than the blue, which won't grip quite as well. Actually I have a teammate that instead of shifting to the next hardness down for grippers goes with the blue hub. In the end there is a lot of personal preference, so you won't know until you get them. They are a good wheel.

If these are a training wheel I would have gone with the Truths. They have the same profile, so the edges will be the same. The may not roll quite as well, but you save a few bucks per wheel.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #3
stealthsports
#stealthsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyyates88 View Post
I have been in the market for new outdoor wheels for our less than perfect indoor floor and have had a hard time finding reviews and feedback. I am getting more involved in skating and needing new and better equipment. I am not going to put anyone on blast for bad advise or guidance. That's just not me.

Here's the deal, my training partner just purchased the blue hub outdoor game changers and he likes them a lot. Feels very confident on them, great grip, roll, and can get on the edge very easy. I called around checking on things and after a few places still haven't returned my calls a week later (trying to figure out the actual hardness XXa of the different makes wanting something around an 84a). The last person I tried to contact called me back and we talked and he informed me the red hub outdoor game changers would be the way to go. Me being a sprinter with fast feet and loving to get over in the turns I still have my doubts with the larger hub but I ordered them givin his reputation.

They should be in today or tomorrow and I will hopefully get to give them a good beat down this weekend to see if they are what I am hoping for. As soon as I do I will get back on here with my thoughts
Don't even get me started on difficulties ordering TLTF wheels. Unless you're ordering 500+ wheels, they don't want much to do with you.

I actually found the Matter Mi3 wheels pretty good on crappy floors. I've seen several skaters using Max G's as well.
2005 - 2010 MPC Black Tracks are still regarded as the best outdoor wheel for indoor use, if you can ever find them.
stealthsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 06:39 PM   #4
spdkls

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthsports View Post
Don't even get me started on difficulties ordering TLTF wheels. Unless you're ordering 500+ wheels, they don't want much to do with you.
Talk to Jimmie Blair(Pinnacle) he get them to you if they are available.

Have you thought about the new Atom spyders? Supposedly they are really good for slick floors.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 12:38 AM   #5
Bradleyyates88

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
Do you happen to know if your floor is coated with an oil or water based coating? Different wheels work better on different coatings. If I recall correctly WRW/TLTF works well on a water base.

I don't know that an actual hardness would help you. The compounds and profile vary between companies, and the bands add another layer of complexity, so directly comparing A values isn't so useful as you might think. The red hub will be stiffer than the blue, which won't grip quite as well. Actually I have a teammate that instead of shifting to the next hardness down for grippers goes with the blue hub. In the end there is a lot of personal preference, so you won't know until you get them. They are a good wheel.

If these are a training wheel I would have gone with the Truths. They have the same profile, so the edges will be the same. The may not roll quite as well, but you save a few bucks per wheel.
I want to say the rink manager said it was a water based coating.

I hadn't been into skating since bank robbers were dying out and 84s so it did not even cross my mind that the banded wheels would take hardness different and there may not be a set way to measure. It just gets expensive with trial and error.

I wondered about the truth wheels but at the same time I run a fairly decent lap and did want to go ahead and get a good wheel I know that I can trust while training at my max that will hopefully last. I did talk to a few people that are diehard matter fans and they Hate the truths but did say the game changers are a great wheel
Old July 26th, 2015, 12:50 AM   #6
Bradleyyates88

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthsports View Post

I actually found the Matter Mi3 wheels pretty good on crappy floors. I've seen several skaters using Max G's as well.
2005 - 2010 MPC Black Tracks are still regarded as the best outdoor wheel for indoor use, if you can ever find them.
I would not mind trying matters but at 20+ buck a wheel I had to try something just a little cheaper. Especially if the alternative is just as good but if all else fails I may have to get a set
Old July 26th, 2015, 02:06 AM   #7
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyyates88 View Post
I would not mind trying matters but at 20+ buck a wheel I had to try something just a little cheaper. Especially if the alternative is just as good but if all else fails I may have to get a set
I'm currently running a set of Spyder Traction wheels. I paid $13.7 for the 110mm and $12.50 for the 100mm wheels. They're doing quite well after a month or so of practice.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 02:21 AM   #8
WJCIV

The Gamechangers are marginally better than the Truths. That's important when facing a certain level of competition, but not so much at a local rink. If you like the way the wheel feels you can probably switch to Truths for your next set. You'll lose a small percentage on performance, but it won't even feel noticeable unless you are just barely hanging on to the pack already.

Matter and WRW have different profiles. Matter has a shape that works really well for a lot of people intuitively, so they might have a hard time switching to something else. I've never tried their 110s, so I won't speak to it personally. The WRW wheels (Truths) worked very well for me on larger floors. On a slightly narrower and slicker floor I had a bit of barking entering the corner, but I could skate through it. I think that floor used an oil based coating, though. IDN uses an oil base, so the WRW have occasional barking problems on the biggest stage. If they work for you go ahead and stick with them.

I personally found that the WRW wore out for me indoors in a little over 2 months, while Atoms took just under 3 to get the same dead feeling. Part of that difference was the additional barking on my home floor. Since WRW wheels are cheaper I could still come out ahead, though. I don't know how Gamechanger wear compares to Truths.

Actually the Truths do have hardness markings if you check out Pinnacle's site. It's the hardness of the outer urethane. It just isn't a very useful number because with the band they act differently than a wheel that used just that hardness, with the stiff hub they act differently than a traditional hub using the same hardness, and the profile makes a big difference too. The only thing it's really useful for is comparing wheels within the same line, and "Firm, XFirm, XXFirm" or whatever the going vocabulary is does just as good a job at that.

Old July 26th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #9
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
I'm currently running a set of Spyder Traction wheels. I paid $13.7 for the 110mm and $12.50 for the 100mm wheels. They're doing quite well after a month or so of practice.
I've heard really mixed reviews. There was a group in Chicago who got them. They absolutely loved them - for a little less than a month. Then the wheels started degrading pretty rapidly. These were sophomore guys running in the very low 9s on a good day, though. A few people running in the high 10s had no such problems after such a short period.

Old July 27th, 2015, 01:51 PM   #10
Bradleyyates88

I got them in Friday. Personal thoughts later on
Old July 27th, 2015, 03:18 PM   #11
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
I've heard really mixed reviews. There was a group in Chicago who got them. They absolutely loved them - for a little less than a month. Then the wheels started degrading pretty rapidly. These were sophomore guys running in the very low 9s on a good day, though. A few people running in the high 10s had no such problems after such a short period.
Since I run 10's on a very good day, this is probably why I've been able to keep running on them longer.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game changers, indoor, outdoor, red hub, wheels