S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old September 3rd, 2014, 10:41 AM   #1
Susan_Green

Default How to cope with autumn/winter weather?

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and new to inline skating for fitness purposes.

As a kid (now 25) I used to skate sometimes, just for fun, but recently I've found my old inline skates again and started skating for fitness purposes. I really like skating again and I am amazed how it seems to qualifies as a great cardio workout (average HR of 166-177), but doesn't feel like one (no muscle aches).

I currently use my 'old' fitness skates of Nijdam (Dutch) skates with the original 70mm 82A wheels and skate on good to acceptable asfalt for 40 min around 4 times a week.

However, with summer behind us, my first concerns are how to survive the weather conditions of autumn and winter? I want to make skating a habit for good fitness, but don't know how to maintain my skates (especially the wheels) after skating on damp or wet pavement.

Are there options to maintain my current wheels to survive wet conditions, or do I need special wheels (and thereby new skates)?

Any advice on skate maintenance in different weather conditions is welcome!
Susan_Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:36 PM   #2
WJCIV

Boots - I don't know what type you have. Especially if they have a padded liner, you want to air them out between workouts so they can dry. If the liner comes out doing that increases the air flow and dries them out faster. This is true for regular workouts too, since sweat counts as moisture. However, it is more important after puddles and rain.

Frame - If you have aluminum, there is no worry. If you have plastic, there is no worry. If you have something else, I am curious what it is and where you got it.

Wheels - Water doesn't really bother wheels. However, realize that wheels tend to slide more in the rain, especially on tar. So if the cracks in the road have been "repaired" by painting tar over them (we call them tar snakes) be very careful going over them. 82A should be plenty soft enough to give you some grip in the rain, but I wouldn't go to 88A in wet conditions. I would in dry conditions. Wheels also get harder as they age, so you might want to look into new wheels if these ones are several years old. They also break down and wear out, so you do have to replace them periodically depending on usage/weight/terrain/etc.

Bearings - This is the big thing you have to worry about. Cheap bearings are made of cheap steel, and they will rust. There are bearings made of higher grade stainless steel that will rust more slowly, and ceramic ones that will not rust at all. So when you look at the price of bearings, take into account how often you will have replace them to determine how cheap they really are.

You can slow down the rusting of the inside of the bearings and the balls by packing them with grease instead of lubing with oil and making sure to use bearings with seals on both sides instead of leaving one or both sides open. Note I said shield, which is like a washer. That is not the retainer, which just keeps the balls evenly spaced. If non- or under-greased bearings get any appreciable water on them you should clean them out as soon as you stop rolling. Take the wheels off your skates and pop out the bearings. Then either clean them properly or spray them down with WD-40 to get the water out, then clean them at your convenience later.

Clothes - You didn't ask, so I won't go too much into detail, but realize that cotton retains moisture and feels cold, and a lot of common garments are made out of cotton. You may want to look into synthetic materials.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #3
Susan_Green

Thanks for all the information!
I will check all the things you mentioned on my skates, such as what frame I have, which bearing etc. I really don't know, that's how old my skates are (I think between 8 - 10 years old...)
Susan_Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damp, maintenance, rain, wheels