S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old March 26th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #1
Kirif1

Default Wheel confusion!

As a total newbie, I am completely clueless about wheels and I am sure this info is bouncing around already somewhere so I apologize! Can any one tell me the basics on wheels? I have Radar Cayman wheels which I think are 95A which I think are hard but I also think they are outdoor wheels (well cos thats what google told me)

I'm on my third week of fresh meat and my wheels do make me stumble but I'm not sure if it's me or dodgy wheels or whether I should even be worrying about them! I have these: http://kickflipboards.com/quad-skate...tes-black.html

Are they 'sticky' wheels? sorry I know it's probably a stupid question!

Any help would be great thank you!
Kirif1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Pikaia

It would help to know your weight, level of confidence on skates (hugging wall? working on crossovers?), and the kind of surface you're skating on.

Cayman's aren't outdoor wheels, though some like them for that. Definitely not sticky. They're just really low quality wheels. I found them unskateable indoors, but never tried them outdoors.
Pikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Kirif1

I'm at about 60kgs/132 lbs :/

I'm currently attempting cross overs, we did the 27 in 5 the other day and I only managed 19 - with no cross overs.

I've seen alot of bad things about the cayman wheels whilst browsing the net for info - should I look at changing them?
Old March 26th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #4
Kirif1

Also sorry as for a surface - it's indoors and kind of wood paneled.
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Mirrim

Ask some of the more experienced skaters in your league about what wheels to use on your surface. Most will be more than happy to give you suggestions You may even be able to borrow wheels to try them out before you buy them.
Mirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #6
Kirif1

Thanks for the advice - will do"
Old March 26th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #7
Pikaia

Yes, definitely ask leaguemates for their suggestions. However, I found that my leaguemates weren't well informed. Many of them are skating wheels not appropriate for their needs.

You're lightweight, so there's no need to jump to $$ metal hubbed wheels, unless you strongly prefer the way they feel. I skate both. Plastic and metal hubs feel different, but I don't always prefer metal hubs.

In your shoes/skates, I'd go for a fairly soft wheel first. It'll help you work on crossovers without fear of slipping out as you push under with your left leg. Even after you move on to harder wheels you'll want to hang on to one set of soft ones, because you'll eventually end up skating on venues with slick floors. 84A Atom Poison are probably the most popular for these purposes (beginners and slick floors). They're fine, and I started on them myself, but I like Day of the Dead 86A wheels better. They felt less marshmallow-y to me and they gripped better than Poisons when the rink floor was super cold. Radar Villain and Sure Grip Sugar (and its variations) are other options. Firm Atom Boom wheels are a new possibility, and they're getting great reviews, but I haven't skated them myself.

After you get more comfortable, you'll probably want to move up to a 92A or so wheel (edited to add) to help you build up speed and nail your 27 in 5. You'll probably eventually be strong enough to skate 27 in 5 on 84-86A wheels, but why torture yourself? Just get some slightly harder wheels and you'll pick up a couple more laps without effort. I skated 93A Fugitive Mids as my second wheels, and loved them. If I was doing it again I might go with 92A Day of the Dead wheels instead. Right now those are my favorite all purpose wheel. (Then again, I regret selling my 93A Fugitive Mids and I'm contemplating buying another set since I heard they're being discontinued. )

The other thing you might want to consider doing very soon is upgrading your cushions to Sure-Grip Supers. That'll improve the action of your plate a lot. They're cheap - a full set of 8 should be under $15. Search the archives here for more info. I started on a purple/yellow combo, then moved to all yellows, and then to yellow/blue. It made the plate on my R3s a lot more agile and fun.

Last edited by Pikaia; March 26th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old March 26th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Theres no need to invest money in anything but some bushings. Sure grip super yellows should do you well. If your on a budget just buy the bushings.

A wheel wont change the feel of a skate nearly as much bushings. The bushings will allow a skate that skates with you, not so much against you. I weigh 180 lbs or about 81 kg and skate Sure Grip super yellows.

Aside from that you should invest in yourself. What I mean by that is get some skate time in. Playing derby isnt working on your skating(it is but hear me out). At some point you need to focus on JUST your skating skills. Far too often people will tell you that your gear is holding you back. The only thing hat holds you back is yourself. Don't get me wrong though, good gear does matter, but think of it this way, if someone gave me a badass paintbal gun to go play with I would still suck!

Your asking yourself to learn to skate and play derby at the same time. Go to some sessions or skate outdoors in a nice smooth location like tennis courts. The tennis court paint grinds off mold release pretty well too
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #9
Pikaia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Theres no need to invest money in anything but some bushings.

(snip)

A wheel wont change the feel of a skate nearly as much bushings.
Ahem. I beg to differ. Mort, have you ever rolled Caymans as a 132 lb newbie skater?

Edited to add: I would only advise someone to stay on Caymans if I secretly wanted them to quit skating.
Old March 26th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #10
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikaia View Post
Ahem. I beg to differ. Mort, have you ever rolled Caymans as a 132 lb newbie skater?
Lol im not that light. But ive use the wheels, and they grip like crap until they are worn some. It also depends on the floor, and how clean it is.

I cant comment on the OP's form, floor, the wheels mold release thats left, or how clean that floor is kept. So hopefully someone very seasoned there has some wheel feedback from skating different locations and different wheels to let them know what would be a good bet there. Also hope there are skaters happy to let the OP try a few sets out.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #11
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirif1 View Post
As a total newbie, I am completely clueless about wheels and I am sure this info is bouncing around already somewhere so I apologize! Can any one tell me the basics on wheels? I have Radar Cayman wheels which I think are 95A which I think are hard but I also think they are outdoor wheels (well cos thats what google told me)

I'm on my third week of fresh meat and my wheels do make me stumble but I'm not sure if it's me or dodgy wheels or whether I should even be worrying about them! I have these: http://kickflipboards.com/quad-skate...tes-black.html

Are they 'sticky' wheels? sorry I know it's probably a stupid question!

Any help would be great thank you!
You're not confused, just misled, the caymens with a very soft hub and plastic sans urethane is a terrible wheel, at 95A it's an indoor wheel but 9.95$ for a set of 8 is a good way to know you don't want them, lot's of good choices out there, try anything else (but radar)
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, newby, radar, riedell, wheels