S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old February 27th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #1
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Default 63mm or 64mm wheels for shuffle skating

I donned my 11 year old 911/Mistral skates for the first time in years last night and headed to one of the adult night skates that I used to attend. These feature rhythm and shuffle skating.

I realized right away that my (I think) 10 year old original green Hyper Shamans weren't cutting the mustard. They slid all over the place and the roll was iffy. These used to roll awesome. Yes, the bearings are in great condition.

I haven't shopped for quad equipment in a decade, so I'm wondering if there is a 63mm or 64mm wheel out there suited to shuffle skating. I prefer aluminum hubbed wheels, but I haven't been able to find any in this size.

Of interest are the Roll-Line Grease, but they're plastic hubbed. I'm 210 pounds, so I need a good rolling wheel.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #2
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

Most of the speed/jam wheels are 62x40. You could have your wheels Regrooved. There are guys on here that do it. Beaver they claim is awesome.
They still make the hyper shaman's. I have a set older white one on the way. They are 62mm. A new set of shamans on eBay are 145.00, so they aren't cheap. Lol you can also get a set of faster wheels for the same price. They Are making a copy of the old fan jets. I have a set, there do purdy good. The white shamans are still very desirable. Some say the older ones wear better.. Plenty of threads on here you can do a search, see what guys like the best...
Old February 27th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #3
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I was looking for larger wheels, because a mm or two can make a difference in speed. Most inline speed skaters, who have moved from 100mm to 110mm wheels will tell you that. But you sacrifice a little to get up to speed.

If I had the wheels re-grooved, they'd get smaller, which is not what I want. I think that 64mm might be the largest I'd go, without the wheels hitting my plate mounting bolts.

Too bad no one makes a 63x40 or 64x40 wheel.
Old February 27th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #4
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

I'm new to skating (also from MA *waves*) but from the research I've been doing I've only seen larger than 62mm in outdoor wheels. I'm a noob though so maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. Where do you go that does shuffle skating? I would love to check that out if it's not too far away from me. I'm in southeastern MA. Maybe a "field trip"?
HoneyBeeoftheValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #5
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I'm definitely not new to skating, just haven't quad skated in a while.

Where do you skate in SE MA? Fairhaven?

The place I went to the other day is Skateland in Bradford, MA, which may be a haul for you.

I was also considering the Rollerbones Turbo speed wheels. They're 62mm x 38mm. The question is, what durometer? I'm thinking 97A. While the 94A wold be better for grip, since I'm over 200 pounds, I might sacrifice speed.

I really have heard good things about the Roll Line Grease though. However, I don't know if 34mm wide would be too much of an adjustment.
Old February 27th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #6
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

I have been to the Fairhaven rink, but my regular one is Taunton. There's also one in Rumford, RI that's the same distance from me as the Taunton one that I've been meaning to try, but their admission is higher. Haven't been much lately thanks to the snow. Hoping that's changing soon. Wednesday looks like it's supposed to be 50 degrees!!!

I plan on trying to do more outdoor skating come the good weather so I'm saving up for some outdoor wheels and just skating on my stock wheels indoors right now, even though they need an upgrade too. Gotta upgrade gradually $$$
Old February 27th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #7
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Ouch! That rink is 1.5 hours from me. I guess I'm spoiled having 2 rinks within a half hour and a third 45 min away.
Old February 27th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #8
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Taunton is a nice rink, huge floor. I was a regular there probably about 8 years ago. I've skated a few inline short track practices there, but that was probably close to a decade ago.

Rumford is an odd rink. It's actually a track with the entertainment stuff (arcade, rock climbing, concession, etc...) inside the middle of it. It used to be part of the United Skates of America chain, but I don't see the rink listed in the USA site. It still carries the USA name though.

I used to skate for the inline short track team that used to skate out of Fairhaven, but that was 8 years ago.

I'm also close to 90 minutes from Skateland in Bradford, but their adult night is pretty good and worth the ride. It's an easy ride up interstate 495. It's mostly rhythm music. They have a decent wood floor (although it could use a new coating of plastic) and a nice sound and light system.
Old February 27th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #9
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Well, I'm a beginner so it'll be a long time before I can do any of that stuff, but I saw some of it on youtube and was amazed! That's what got me back into skating, so I'm hoping to do a LOT of practicing now so I can begin to learn stuff like rhythm, shuffle, jam skating. Never seen anything like that in real life. No one seems to do that here.
Old February 27th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #10
jbgerman

I'm from Germany, but working for a Boston company. I've been both in Skateland and Taunton. I really like also Chez Vous. There you can see Rhythm/Style Skating.

In mid of April I will be in Boston next time.
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #11
ursle
Street Skater

62mm is the norm, aussiescott might make you a custom set of something or other$$$
The roll line hub is fantastic, it's zytel and using a bearing press is almost necessary, they are very true.
Not a bad price point to try, but if you insist on metal, yes the roller bones turbos will do the job nicely, $$
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #12
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I totally missed the comment about Faster Wheels. I was a huge fan of the original Fanjet Huggers in the 80's. I wish Faster made a Jumbo version, the way Vanguard did. I think they were 64mm high.

In any event, these are now in the running. How to the Regular 62mm/42mm compare with the "skinny" 38mm in terms of speed? Is there THAT much of a difference?
Old March 4th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #13
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default I thought that was you last week

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
I totally missed the comment about Faster Wheels. I was a huge fan of the original Fanjet Huggers in the 80's. I wish Faster made a Jumbo version, the way Vanguard did. I think they were 64mm high.

In any event, these are now in the running. How to the Regular 62mm/42mm compare with the "skinny" 38mm in terms of speed? Is there THAT much of a difference?
Good session @ skateland for sure, My name is Matt, not sure we have formally met, but but you looked familiar and I saw you skating in the pack.

I too am beefey and like wheels with good roll/grip, right now I am 230ish, so we are in same demographic.

I skated the grease 97a for a year, and the roll is effortless, but they are a bit narrow, have no lip so the end of the push feels WAY different then a speed wheeel, and for me they wore VERY fast.

Right now I am one my second set of Rollerbone turbos, and I LOVE them. I skate the 101's and I think they grip perfectly at Skateland and roll for days. I have never had a grip issue on that floor with those wheels. There is a girl there Mindy and she is actually on the 101's as well and loves them. I now a lot of people on the 97s and they all love them too. They have a very big hub, bigger than the shamans, so the thin urethane and big hub gets very good roll. If you shop around they can be found at a decent price online, I think I paid about $115 shipped for last set, so keep eye out for sales.

As far as the 38mm, the turbos are offset to the outside of the wheel, unlike many 40-44mm speed wheels that are either no offset or inside offset. so total width of the skate track from outside of left wheel to outside of right wheel is about the same as it is for conventional spped wheels, to my the transition was seemlees to 38mm, the roll-lines however are way narrower and you can certainly feel it when you push and crossover
Old March 4th, 2015, 09:43 PM   #14
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Thanks for the info, Matt. The session was a good time. I haven't done that in quite a while. It took me close to an hour to get any rhythm back.

So, I'm torn between the Rollerbones and the Lasting wheels. I was planning on taking a trip to Nashua, NH to the derby store up there. I heard it's pretty well stocked. I'm also toying with getting a newer pair of boots. My 911's are over a decade old.
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:11 PM   #15
CHSC FLOOR GUARD
"East of the MISSISSIPPI"

Default Bones are good.

Chuck welcome back to the quad scene....In our area...we have tons of rinks,tons of sessions, and tons of shufflers. The Roller Bones turbos is what a good percentage of the skaters are on. They are great for foot work and shuffling. However I do miss the extended lip found on majority of the speed wheels. Cornering def. feels different than on a normal speed wheel. I have also noticed of you are fooling around and the sidewall hits the floor....its like stepping on a banana peel. Great wheel though and have decent grip at any of the duros...

The other wheel if you can find them is Labeda Stilletos...very similar to the original Labeda Interceptor.

If you don't mind waiting Im sure Aussie Scott would be able to pour you a 63mm wheel. Good luck man.
Old March 5th, 2015, 05:27 PM   #16
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSC FLOOR GUARD View Post
I have also noticed of you are fooling around and the sidewall hits the floor....its like stepping on a banana peel.
This may be a game ender for me, since I'm always riding the edges of my wheels. You can tell by the roundness of the edges on my Shamans.
Old March 6th, 2015, 03:50 AM   #17
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

I rolled some hyper shamans white last night. They are older, but they don't look like they were ever used. I was highly impressed with them.. Smooth roll, and plenty of grip. I'm 6'2" 195 lbs. Skate on coated wood floors. They roll as good if not better than my natural faster wheels. The faster wheels 97 duro, are really softer, and more grip than The 97 shamans even though advertised as the same duro.
Old March 9th, 2015, 06:00 AM   #18
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Roller Bones 1st Choice

Hi Chuck,

Geez Back to skating. I skated Skateland on 5March so I missed you.
Too much Snow work this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Thanks for the info, Matt. The session was a good time. I haven't done that in quite a while. It took me close to an hour to get any rhythm back.

So, I'm torn between the Rollerbones and the Lasting wheels. I was planning on taking a trip to Nashua, NH to the derby store up there. I heard it's pretty well stocked. I'm also toying with getting a newer pair of boots. My 911's are over a decade old.
Yes that Shop up in NH, that I have been to is well stocked. Yet call first on the Bones stuff. BTW it is easy to miss the place so really look on a map. It is tucked, with a behind entrance, and they no longer have their sign on the side of the building due to some NH regulation. The reason I say call is that Derby leans towards softer wheels. Now I did buy some Bones there, yet just call to be sure they are in stock.

Fast Back Across forwards. Now Chuck what I really want you to do at Skateland IF and When I see you is that fast Back Across you used to do on fast outboard skates. Matt needs something new and fancy to learn, and we only have the one gal that used to do that darn well. SO I know it will take you some time to get back, yet GET back. Yes I do it yet am slow compared to what you could do at prime.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Edit-01: After you Chuck, get back your Great Back across at speed, and maybe Matt copies you. Matt has a very interesting Guys couple move you might enjoy. He does this with Marc from NewH which I am sure you remember.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; March 15th, 2015 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Back Across/Guys Couple Skate
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 06:01 AM   #19
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default A Roller Bones 97A experience

Hi Again Chuck

First Off: If you ever want to sell that SLF tee shirt I will buy.

Here is one tread about me finally, did I say finally, putting on these wheels. The experience has been positive to say the least. Now I might lose some skate slow stuff yet right now it is Great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi o - o Too much to do so I won't be reading many other notes till next week or later. o - o For me, I am now convinced I should have put on my Bones Turbo Aluminum Wheel 97A much much sooner. I think I told Chuck Boucher that I bought these up at Bruised Boutique in Nashua, NH. I have some pretty fast under 18 yr old males on Recreational Blades and I wasn't doing too darn shabby (i.e. I was doing OK) when chasing them. Now they are still faster, and I had to cut the insider corner, yet they kind of noticed. With clean Bones Swiss bearings it is a nice ride. o-o-o And I find that the effort extended is less than my old wheels. o -o
Now Chuck I am 66 and have a meniscus tear in my left knee that became noticeable about 2-3 yrs ago, both of these slow me down. Yet these wheels make a difference. I also wrote more about these wheels under The Session Blog if you want to read more. If you buy them You are going to enjoy these wheels.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S. Just So everyone knows. Chuck with his SLForum T Shirt got me started on SkateLog. Back then he skated with us in Private rink parties in Beverly, MA and sometimes at Skateland. We did those private stuff for a few years. He had a great BackAcross.
Old April 17th, 2015, 03:01 PM   #20
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default Bones Turbo 101/97

In short: they are great wheels. I ran the 101a/97a for over a year. The 101s require you to keep weight on them or they will slip. I used the 101s during the spring, summer, fall, and the 97s during the winter(less grip on the floor during winter). I also used Radar Devil Ray wheels at another rink for more grip.

I only switched after acquiring Faster 97 wheels, which I skate year round and at all the rinks I attend. Same roll - better grip.

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote