S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old May 14th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #21
scottishrob
Church of SK8IN'

Default The Name Has Evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcaptain View Post
Here's something I found in a search

http://www.doubletongued.org/index.p...ionary/rexing/
This is a great definition of rexing. The main thing I have noticed is the meaning seems to change depending on what region of the U.S. you are in and also what country you're in as well. It's like a cocktail, same drink different name everywhere you go. It seems that the majority of places now refer to an individual skating around the rink while dancing/criss-crossing/spinning as rexing. The same thing being done as a small group (2-8 people) is known as shuffling. When there are a lot of people (10+) it's called a roll line. Jamming is essentially the same thing done while staying in relatively small area or staying in the same spot. This seems to have replaced spot rexing. Although jamming has evolved into a lot more. This is just what I have noticed in my short time being serious about skating and is no way the absolute on this topic.
scottishrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 11:18 PM   #22
SkaterMari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deechie Dan View Post
I took it all in Backofthepack. Initially, the majority of what I saw was backwards and then I saw this young man's vid calling his moves rexing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwHZT6jDrj8

Is that a fair representation (180, forward shuffle, grapevine, backwards, etc.?)

OR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja_7OoKIaik

OR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdxNFrkLG9I

Everybody's got their style of rexing i suppose. I think that's what led to my question in the first place (not taking geography into consideration). It makes sense considering we probably shuffle differently here in Cleveland

Deech
I used to do the style shown in the third video. But I didn't do it for competition. I was a very avid skater in the late 70's, early 80's. Would go sometimes 3 or 4 times a week, especially Sunday adult night. I loved when I had a partner to Rex with for the backward skate.

I admit that the advanced backward skate at our rink was one of those that you had to know what you were doing or you would get run over. The same was true for the men's only skate. It was pure speed.

Eric Groves, do you still skate? I was wondering if the original California Skate was still there in La Sierra. I found one listed, but the location looked like a rink that went in later, closer to Riverside than La Sierra/Corona area. That was the best rink in the area at the time. Can't find a rink with that type of floor here in Panama City, FL. Plus they are half the floor size.
SkaterMari is offline   Reply With Quote