S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old January 9th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #1
JoannaGraham2017

Exclamation Jam Skaters Teach Me Your Moves!!!

Hey yall! Im a jam/speed skater from texas and im looking to learn some new tricks/moves, if you know any websites or videos that have tutorials on how to do the tricks, or i you just know the names of tricks it would be greatly appreciated!!! 😄
JoannaGraham2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 11:45 AM   #2
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

Get on you tube, and look up rollerdanceman. Old school dr skate. He breaks down a lot of moves, and dances. There are a lot of others on there too.
oldspeedskater67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

YouTube or google up Jamskateaddiction.
Old January 13th, 2015, 06:08 AM   #4
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Find on Facebook, YouTube, JamSkate Web places

As Mort wrote,
Courtney has some good videos. I love her dog in this one, and told her so when she was a regular on SLF. The dog is a Show Hound who wants to be the center of attention per C. She has had some rough life spells the last I heard about her, yet some of her videos are just great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1SFddGj0UQ

If you really want to Jam Skate, you will have to search for Chuck Best and his Jam Skating stuff. He even tried an internet TV channel for awhile. Lost touch of where he is now.

Also check out Vanilla since they sponsor some of the best. Also SouthEast Skate catalog to see some of the names.

A previous poster listed RollerDanceMan Richard. Richard is not a Jam Skater even though he has an excellent skating style. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJpXvztZWMw OK, yet he has better

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old January 27th, 2015, 04:54 AM   #5
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

Check out some of these moves. Pick some out that you can do, then start putting them together. Add your own little twist to them. It won't take long to look cool on the floor.....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k3JO0SlEUWY
Old January 27th, 2015, 07:51 AM   #6
jbgerman

Here, some really creative and new:

http://vimeo.com/74330278

http://vimeo.com/97904270
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 06:29 AM   #7
2tence

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspeedskater67 View Post
Check out some of these moves. Pick some out that you can do, then start putting them together. Add your own little twist to them. It won't take long to look cool on the floor.....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k3JO0SlEUWY
The images in that video are really cool, skating's no so bad either!

Thanks for posting it.
2tence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 02:20 AM   #8
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

I'm always looking for some cool moves. Some of those are very difficult. It take practice. Pick out 2 moves and get them down, then Transition them together. Then Do the same moves in opposite order. After you learn a few different combos, then start mixing them together. That is what I do. I have bad knees, so I'm limited, but still can do some cool moves.
Good luck and have fun!!!!!!

Roy
Old March 15th, 2015, 12:01 AM   #9
DarrenVS

The notorious skating couple are soooooo cool, but the moves are hard to break down as they are only on screen for a few seconds
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 03:04 AM   #10
2tence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenVS View Post
The notorious skating couple are soooooo cool, but the moves are hard to break down as they are only on screen for a few seconds
If they break up... how do you think they'd split who gets to keep which move?

2tence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 10:10 PM   #11
dmacalak
8x16 Helps me get around

Nice videos, now can you expedite my recovery times from trying some of these?

More Bounce to The Ounce!
dmacalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #12
purlingwood

I second Jam skate addiction.

Really what wakes up my skate style, is visiting other skate rinks. Call them up before you go, find out what the good night is for skating. Some have adult nights during the week that are really spicy. Many places vary when the "gang" shows up, Friday or Saturday, one place Thursday night is the best day to go. Many people copy or pick up other peoples tricks, so they have a "tribal" style of sorts.

I got a shuffle place I go, a general dance place, and another place who likes traditional figure stuff a lot. Mix them up and learn.

Find someone and do some monkey see monkey do. nothing beats seeing it live. Don't be afraid to ask them how too, or how they got there. They did this move which built up to that move. Jamskateaddicition explains these things well. A guy called enthol shows the traditional basic moves. If you can't do all the basics on both sides of your body, your skating on crutches. Spread eagles, t-stops, mohawks, front and rear crossovers, waltz jump, and doing the circles with both inside and outside edges. If there's something you learn, work on both sides.

Taking skates on vacation or business trips can be a great idea too.
purlingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 06:37 PM   #13
dmacalak
8x16 Helps me get around

I agree with you I know I have hindered myself for years doing spins only in one direction. I have a slight problem with my right knee so I am not confident on my front trucks at all on that foot. When I have it back it's ok, but forwards just not comfortable. I have been trying to strengthen it but still it's very shaky for me. Unfortunately decent skaters rarely visit our rink but it does happen. All though last week a cool dude showed up that had his spins and tricks on lock, but he mentioned that he couldn't stride like me or skate backwards that well, which threw me off cause his skills were tight. Thanks for the great thread guys!
Old September 15th, 2015, 11:27 AM   #14
Derrick

Default yup +1 to all if it

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlingwood View Post
I second Jam skate addiction.

Really what wakes up my skate style, is visiting other skate rinks. Call them up before you go, find out what the good night is for skating. Some have adult nights during the week that are really spicy. Many places vary when the "gang" shows up, Friday or Saturday, one place Thursday night is the best day to go. Many people copy or pick up other peoples tricks, so they have a "tribal" style of sorts.

I got a shuffle place I go, a general dance place, and another place who likes traditional figure stuff a lot. Mix them up and learn.

Find someone and do some monkey see monkey do. nothing beats seeing it live. Don't be afraid to ask them how too, or how they got there. They did this move which built up to that move. Jamskateaddicition explains these things well. A guy called enthol shows the traditional basic moves. If you can't do all the basics on both sides of your body, your skating on crutches. Spread eagles, t-stops, mohawks, front and rear crossovers, waltz jump, and doing the circles with both inside and outside edges. If there's something you learn, work on both sides.

Taking skates on vacation or business trips can be a great idea too.
I go to three rinks and they each have a tribal style. Monkey see monkey do is how I learn. And most people get just abit of an ego boost if you ask them how they do their best move. So it's good for all.

Also, definately do everything on each foot, or oposite rotation. Of course I'm not THE best at, well anything, but I may get the most eclectic award. If you wnat to be best at something you'll probably need more focus than I have.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 05:26 PM   #15
dmacalak
8x16 Helps me get around

I am past the age of being the best, but I still want to be good and learn what I can. My right knee causes me a lot of loss in confidence and now I am having issues with being comfortable in my skates, something I have never experienced, but then again, I have never owned two pair of skates @ the same time either. I tried grapevining last Wednesday and over rotated ended up on the floor with a bruised hip and palm, but whatever, at least I fell on my own for once instead of some bull crap debris on the floor. I tried last night but since my knee feels weak, I just don't have the confidence. Might wear a knee brace tomorrow and see how it feels. Let's skate my friends!!
Old September 19th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #16
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacalak View Post
I am past the age of being the best, but I still want to be good and learn what I can. My right knee causes me a lot of loss in confidence and now I am having issues with being comfortable in my skates, something I have never experienced, but then again, I have never owned two pair of skates @ the same time either. I tried grapevining last Wednesday and over rotated ended up on the floor with a bruised hip and palm, but whatever, at least I fell on my own for once instead of some bull crap debris on the floor. I tried last night but since my knee feels weak, I just don't have the confidence. Might wear a knee brace tomorrow and see how it feels. Let's skate my friends!!
When we get a meet up, I'll make sure you habe the grapevine down before the session is done.
Old September 20th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #17
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Knee/Hip Foot Skate Conditioning

Hi
Just reading new notes and saw you and Mort chatting.

Anyway if you can find some of my old notes read what I do to keep my knee (left in my case) in the game for skating. Now if I did some of this stuff regularly rather than after an injury, I would not have had a meniscus tear in my left knee due to Side Surfing fast. One Reference on these tears. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20029237

I also have had recently a Ham Quad imbalance, and probably a front shin micro bone tear from Fast Long Stride Lawn Mowing. Note: Hey my Hockey star mower now in the league could do it why not me. OK 40 yrs younger and quite strong. The Ham Quad imbalance was a bad one, couldn't even get off the toilet, yet I could skate minUS A FEW MOVES.. Anyway pre conditioning is always the best particularly as you get older.

[QUOTE=dmacalak;709065]I am past the age of being the best, but I still want to be good and learn what I can. My right knee causes me a lot of loss in confidence and now I am having issues with being comfortable in my skates, something I have never experienced, but then again, I have never owned two pair of skates @ the same time either. I tried grapevining last Wednesday and over rotated ended up on the floor with a bruised hip and palm, but whatever, at least I fell on my own for once instead of some bull crap debris on the floor. I tried last night but since my knee feels weak, I just don't have the confidence. Might wear a knee brace tomorrow and see how it feels. Let's skate my friends!![/Q]

Yours in Skating,
P.S. Bones Turbo wheels no longer which doctor

Tags
dance skating, jam skating, quad skating, tricks