S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old May 11th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #1
Derrick

Default TTFN

Doing the anual bike ride this week. 200 miles this year, half of it rails-to-trails. Was sick this weekend, no working, no skating.

So TTFN, catch up next week.
Derrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Derrick

Default I'm back

Well to start the anual ride I was sick. In fact, I knew I had something thursday before last, after I went skating. I thought I had just slept funny and skating would work the kinks out. I think it's a virus or something. One of the main features is a very stiff neck. Then I was super run down and sleeping a lot. By Friday, I had to take a day off.

It was getting down to my lungs and wheezy. On the good side I quit smoking as it didn't seem prudent so I gave it up all together. So far so good no cravings for three weeks.

Anyway, I already had my vacation time, so do I spend it recovering and mopping around the house or go anyway? Well I can hardly change the time to sick time and take another vacation so I pressed on.

I did pedal what turned out to be 150 miles and two nights in a pup tent. Funny, I felt pretty good after 10 miles, and by 20 I didn't feel sick at all.

But now I return and the virus persists. Going skating tonight anyway. I'm not contagious at this point. I here this dumb virus can last up to a month . My wife has it as well.

So at this point neck is occasionally stiff, was last night not today though, lungs seem real good, bit run down though, can't seem to keep warm when sleeping no matter how many blanket I use?
Pressing on, but taking it easy when I can. I'll skate a bit slower, and try to work out the kinks, you know like yoga on wheels.
Old May 25th, 2015, 01:04 PM   #3
Derrick

Default personal log stardate 025052015.2

So I pulled some camels on my sons long board going down the hill in front of our house. Swept my sidewalk with my self created slipper skates on. I'm sure the neighbors see me on my spin trainer in the breezeway. I'm turning 50 this year, I hope my neighbors never get bored. I love wheels without motors.
Old June 6th, 2015, 11:17 PM   #4
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default 100 Mile Biker also a Skater

Hi Derrick,

My bike is still in the shed so I have to move IT each time I do Lawn Work. Dang I got to start using it again. Not the 1.125 wheel since it was for roads with cars.

Anyway one of our Skateland skaters is an avid biker. He is from Rhode Island very close to Newport News, once home of the Super Rich on Vacation.

Anway biking and skating seem to go together.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old June 8th, 2015, 10:09 AM   #5
Derrick

Default i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi Derrick,

My bike is still in the shed so I have to move IT each time I do Lawn Work. Dang I got to start using it again. Not the 1.125 wheel since it was for roads with cars.

Anyway one of our Skateland skaters is an avid biker. He is from Rhode Island very close to Newport News, once home of the Super Rich on Vacation.

Anway biking and skating seem to go together.

Seems I inspired a coulpe of work people too. I'm riding in everyday and back snd forth to lunch. I'ts only 3.5 miles, so about 14 miles a day. It's not much, but it's something.

I don't think the guys at work will really do more than talk about getting their bikes out though.
Old June 10th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Drove 7+ miles each way to WORK

Hi Derrick,

Great, Next comes the Urban RollerBlades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Seems I inspired a coulpe of work people too. I'm riding in everyday and back snd forth to lunch. I'ts only 3.5 miles, so about 14 miles a day. It's not much, but it's something.

I don't think the guys at work will really do more than talk about getting their bikes out though.
I had a child seat mounted in the back. Still do. I used to put all my work stuff in a box in the child bike seat, including my change of clothes. Headed to the bathroom as soon as I got to work and put on my good clothes and tie. Tie's were in my era. I was like less than .001percent of the population who biked, yet it expanded later.

I even got the one town to clean a path under a dangerous bridge on a curve so I would not get hit biking in. Used to have to wait and guess when I could go under it.

It was a great ride both ways. Coming home after smoking a cigar at work, gosh dang I could feel the stuff oozing out of my skin, and it smelled. Helped me stop smoking those great great cigars.

I paid back the bike by biking in just a few months. So it is free...

More stories including those that HATE bikers on the road. The one guy kind of worked for me eventually.

Yours in Skating, Biking to Work{1980s} MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S. Too bad I didn't know about Blading in the 1980s
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #7
Derrick

Quote:
Hi Derrick,

Great, Next comes the Urban RollerBlades

I had a child seat mounted in the back. Still do. I used to put all my work stuff in a box in the child bike seat, including my change of clothes. Headed to the bathroom as soon as I got to work and put on my good clothes and tie. Tie's were in my era. I was like less than .001percent of the population who biked, yet it expanded later.

I even got the one town to clean a path under a dangerous bridge on a curve so I would not get hit biking in. Used to have to wait and guess when I could go under it.

It was a great ride both ways. Coming home after smoking a cigar at work, gosh dang I could feel the stuff oozing out of my skin, and it smelled. Helped me stop smoking those great great cigars.

I paid back the bike by biking in just a few months. So it is free...

More stories including those that HATE bikers on the road. The one guy kind of worked for me eventually.

Yours in Skating, Biking to Work{1980s} MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S. Too bad I didn't know about Blading in the 1980s
I used to ride three kids around the country side, two in the cart one on the seat above the back tire. Converted the trailer to tow my stuff back and forth to work when laptops were much bigger (the tablet just goes in a backpack now).

Converting the trailer again to a solar powedred sound system for skating at the park.

I just quit cigars yep it was cominig out my skin. I haven't had one in a month or so, no cravings.
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:15 PM   #8
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Gizmos and 110-120rpm

Hey Great,

One thing before I forget it. SpeedySkater or SpeedySktr from FLorida friend of Jessica one of our moderators and Queen of the Mile, is also a biker. He has all the gizmos to monitor his HR and his RPM.

In the old days 1980s I used to pedal hard and then due the neck monitor to see how I was doing. I times RPM with a watch. Much better equipment today even watches and finger clip ons to keep you in the Zone.

I learned about higher RPM and managing the gears from a young college age kid from Ohio who was an avid biker and did a summer intern with our company. Changing to higher RPM and managing gears is a FANTAstic Ride. YET it is hard at first to adapt that fast pattern.

Again I think some treads under Jessica's buddy would be probably good to read. Also their is a guy site and a gal site for biking that if you check I listed on SLForum.

My buddy I listed in my first note told me how he plays with RPM to chase his gang and increase the pace on Long Bike Rides in RI. He goes way past 110-120 and can hold it long distances.

Bike like Heck and Enjoy.

Old June 12th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #9
Derrick

Quote:
Hey Great,

One thing before I forget it. SpeedySkater or SpeedySktr from FLorida friend of Jessica one of our moderators and Queen of the Mile, is also a biker. He has all the gizmos to monitor his HR and his RPM.

In the old days 1980s I used to pedal hard and then due the neck monitor to see how I was doing. I times RPM with a watch. Much better equipment today even watches and finger clip ons to keep you in the Zone.

I learned about higher RPM and managing the gears from a young college age kid from Ohio who was an avid biker and did a summer intern with our company. Changing to higher RPM and managing gears is a FANTAstic Ride. YET it is hard at first to adapt that fast pattern.

Again I think some treads under Jessica's buddy would be probably good to read. Also their is a guy site and a gal site for biking that if you check I listed on SLForum.

My buddy I listed in my first note told me how he plays with RPM to chase his gang and increase the pace on Long Bike Rides in RI. He goes way past 110-120 and can hold it long distances.

Bike like Heck and Enjoy.

I just do it for recreation, the long trip is more about the adventure than getting there as fast as possible. When I was 18 I lived in the Colorado Rockies at the top of a hill on 285 called "Crow Hill" 7% grade for two miles. You could obtain 70 mph, pass cars, draft off semi's. I worked at a resterant at the botom or the hill, so I rode it 5 times a week. Geeeeeez looking back, I was a serious idiot.