S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old July 30th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #121
streetsk8r

Creepy Crawly

If you want a good skate park to play and practice - Brian Piccolo Park. It's in Broward on Sheridan Street just west of University Drive (27th Ave in Miami Dade). They have a large set of ramps and rails that are very well maintained. A wide variety of just starting to real experts. Skates and Boards are both allowed. Helmets are required.
streetsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #122
streetsk8r

Creepy Crawly

The web site is

http://www.broward.org/parks/skate.htm
streetsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:03 PM   #123
Creepy Crawly
UNITED WE SKATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadsterGrrl View Post
Ok I've been skating on average once a week for 2 months now, and I can say I pretty much get the hang of it, but how can I skate faster????? I seem to be skating less than 5 mph, and joggers pass me by.

mmm...try pushing harder...ah...
it works with me...
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:08 PM   #124
Creepy Crawly
UNITED WE SKATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsk8r View Post
Creepy Crawly

The web site is

http://www.broward.org/parks/skate.htm

thank you so much for the link. i just gotta find time to get there! it seems like lotsa fun
Old August 11th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #125
WolfsBane

Well... haven't skated for a week. No sweat, right?... Wrong! Man, was I wobbly on the edges today. And my glide foot kept wanting to go off to the side to do it's own thing. That was up to the point when I fell royally on my rear. Pulled a two year old attitude, (in other words, got mad), and skated around the pad several times until I felt some of my balance return.

Man, it's going to take some work to get back into my comfort zone, but I'm going to get it done. Feeling more confident and RELAXED as I skate more and more. Well... I'm going upstairs to put some work in on the elliptical machine, and then I'm going out this afternoon to put some more time on my skates.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:27 PM   #126
3 feet

ive only just started and my impression is that i need to skate every day or most days to start with. i feel if i can do that over a period of time and reach a reasonable level, then probably wont need to skate as much to maintain that particular standard. it is the type of activity though that i want to get out and enjoy every day, unfortuanetly the weather wont permit it.
3 feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #127
RageARC
Not a High School Chick

The first time I went skating, I could barely stand with my friend's aggressive skates and I broke my leg accidentally xD. From that time on, I couldn't stop skating lol I'm buying my first aggressive skates today (till now i've been using fitness ones) and let's see if I can make cool maneuvers
RageARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #128
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

I've been busy lately as my Brother was moving back to stay with us, and I had some home improvement projects to finish. Boy, do you forget a lot in 2 weeks. I was so slow and uncoordinated once I got back out.

Sometimes it's hard to get to the Strand in the daylight (our path in SoCal), so I've been only skating 3 times a week. That's not too bad, if I skate hard then it gives me a couple of days to recover.

When I first started about 4 months ago I was trying to put at least 30 minutes in, even if it was on the streets around our house. I think that does help a lot, you need that reinforcement to 'learn' the moves. Heck, I still do, and I need to get out there!
== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #129
kateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzzz View Post
Thanks, Sheldon.. unfortunately I think I made it about as bad as it can get by skating on it when already blistered. On the first day I could barely walk, never mind skate, and this is my fourth day off skates and it still feels a bit tender. I invested in some of those Compeed blister plasters, but I'm not sure they're any more helpful than if I had just left my foot to air naturally (however, they may be useful for preventing blisters in the first place).

Moral of the story... don't skate on a blistered foot and expect to not make it much worse.

using a pair of bummy rental skates i once developed a blister on the side of my foot about the size of a door nob. it took weeks 2 heal properly and even now (bout 3-4 months after) i hav a scar as a reminder of my sk8ing fun..lol....
kateus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #130
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Ouch!

Mole Skin works well for that stuff. I used to be in the Marine Corps, and when you had to do a long hump ( HIKE with equipment), mole skin would do wonders when you got a blister.

It's not like you can turn around when someone starts shooting at you.

Dr Scholls sells the stuff.
== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #131
3 feet

had a lesson today- first one. he watched me skate and then said to start over my technique from scratch-lol. reckons il need about 4 lessons over a couple of months an the rest comes down to practice. mainly taught me about keeping the weight on the leading foot which although obvious i wasent doing. also the heel braking in a straight line as i tend to turn when i brake.
3 feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #132
fuzzypig

Default A month and the craving has started!

I thought I would share my story....

Well I've been at it nearly a month and the will to want to keep going is now turning into a craving, it's all I damn well think about now, is when I can get out on my wheels again!! At work, on the train to work, in the office!

At the ripe old age of 36 I decided to take up inline skating, my missus got all the gear for my birthday, everything got covered and I look like Rodney from OFAH with all my pads and helmet on! Well on the first day out, I fell flat on my arse three times onto asphalt, but luckily I decided at the last minute to buy "crash-pants" to go with my pads, they accounted for almost a fifth of the cost of my gear. Jeez, I am so glad I did! I cannot recommend them enough for beginners like me. When you're learning, yes you should fall forward, but yeah right, you not going to 'cos you've got no idea how to balance on your wheels yet! Well I fell right on my tail bone three times in 40 minutes, it stung like wotnot for a second or two and then the padding on my arse broke the fall!

I think the scariest thing is that 0.5 secs of sheer panic when you know you've lost it and you're going down, backwards! There is nothing you can do and you know it's gonna hurt and all you can do for what seems like minutes is fall and wait for the pain to start and the slight dizziness when your dozy, thick skull bangs about in the helmet for the fifth time!!!

We have quite a few industrial units in my area with asphalt vistors car parks, perfect as they are secluded away from prying eyes, so I spent about 8-10 hours just learning to move very gingerly up and down, learning to get my balance, crouching, learning to turn and heel brake. I can now move about on my own, turn within 6-7 feet circle and just about use my heel brake correctly.

Now I have the basics down, I am thinking about seeing an instructor to tighten my technique and correct any obvious silly habits I have "taught" myself.

If your thinking about starting or just started, get stuck in, it's hard work and the first few times it's so disheartening, it seems like you getting nowhere, literally, but stick at it, just remember your techniques and keep practising. After about 9 hours, the basics have finally clicked for me, I can feel my balance, I am a lot more sensitive to what my body is telling me about my balance, a little flap with the arms is all usually need now to pull my balance back in, not the made flapping like a demented bird and then the crash I had before!!

It's getting dark earlier now in the UK and I am actually planning on looking for floodlit car parks so I can go practice before sunrise and before I go to work, that's how badly the craving is getting to me now!!!

Gj
fuzzypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #133
Tennou

Default Days

This would be my first week in inline skating, I immedietly got into slalom because I find it pretty fun. I mean the smooth looks is awesome and I like how it feels like your floating...(heh) But I live so far from everyone so I have to teach myself, and it's prettyyyy boring. I'm learning on Soul 7 (I know how infamous it is now.) I should of read more and gotten something else.. I rockered it, but the frame is still pretty long for my US 7 feet, so I'm going to get the Seba High with a 231 frame and see how it goes.
Tennou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #134
susiehm

Question skorpian quad skates

Hi all.
I have just purchased a pair of skorpian quad skates to re learn how to skate again seeing as how the things dont seem to work the way I used to remember. I dont live near a skate park or walkway so these were ideal for my situation. Are there any books out there esp for quad skating? I see there are many for inline or racing, derby etc but I would just like to learn the basics & then take it from there.
By the way having read some of these threads I dont feel quite so clutsie or painful & think maybe theres hope for me yet.
Ps I'm from NZ & live in the country.(dairyfarmer)
susiehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #135
four_spin

Thumbs up Have bad knees benched your jogging? No problem!

...on the wheels, I mean. I've learned so much in only around four hours of skating. I'm 47, in great shape, and expect to get into even better shape with my new inlines. I had to give up walking/running on the very nice nearby track due to suspicious sensations in both my knees and left hip joint. How to continue enjoying this beautiful track and reap the rewards of exercise in the sunshine, while avoiding the degenerative impact sustained on such a hard surface? Eureka! Inline skates!
These are my observations:
1) It seems best to learn with 90mm wheels, on a semi-rough incline. This allows me to bend more forward just a bit, and there is less distance to fall (forward), should this occur.
2) From what I've read on the 'net, these new skates of mine were intended more for an indoor rink...90mm, 84A's, with ABEC 7 bearings. Sure, the larger wheels mean more speed, but SPEED CAN BE YOUR FRIEND, if coupled with confidence, and deciding beforehand where you plan to ditch if there's trouble. Timidity on inlines can be just as dangerous.
3) Tree branches hanging over asphalt = rough surface = chaos. I have learned to watch for areas where tree branches hang over asphalt. Apparently, this allows rainwater to drip down for an extended period after the rain has ended, remaining on the surface beneath the branch. In freezing temperatures, the accumulated water freezes and expands, then melts. This cycle is repeated over and over until the asphalt is worked loose...and to hit these spots when skating can spell disaster. This theory seems supported by the absence of rough spots on inclines, as the rainwater is not allowed to accumulate on the grade.
4) Skates not available in half-sizes? Are ill-fitting boots rubbing your lower legs, ankles, etc. raw? No problem! Those wrap-around Ace bandages saved my day! Truly a miracle in solving many of my skate problems, not to mention the sheer simplicity of the darn things! I wanted 81/2's, but only 9's were available. I thought I could tighten up the boots enough, but the persistently loose fit threatened to topple me. I finally bought the Ace bandages today, and wrapped from my foot to about halfway up my lower leg. Instantly, I was able to get those skates smokin'! The resulting sturdy fit allowed me to push hard, really generating speed, and the dramatically increased support eliminated the feeling of impending doom. In addition, there was no distracting pain, unnecessary fatigue, and lack of balance. I could concentrate on maintaining proper form. It was amazing.
5) Someone said earlier that one can adjust inlines too tightly. How true! Again, the resulting pain and fatigue is distracting.
6) Someone also mentioned earlier to avoid becoming transfixed upon the surface just ahead of your skates. Again, how true. How else to prepare for a hair-pin turn? Look ahead, but develop the habit of taking constant mental pictures of the surface twenty feet or so ahead in good light, assessing the surface before you're actually rolling on it. I'm sure this will become involuntary over time.
7) It seems safer to fall backward when DESCENDING, and safer to fall forward when ASCENDING an incline.
8) After taking on a hill or two, it may be necessary to tighten your skates just a bit. If left to continually loosen, this may cause a crash-and-burn. I do not want to crash-and-burn.
9) I realized I had been tightening my inlines when my ankles were either canted in or out. This did nothing to tighten the boot. I have to keep the foot firmly atop the skate while tightening.
I was really able to put some power into my strokes today, and it was a real workout. My jeans were soaked with sweat, and the back of my neck was damp. The Ace bandages made all the difference in the world, when combined with my ever increasing sense of balance.
Can I take turns at speed? Heck no, but I sense that here again, speed, not to mention inertia, can be your friend. Can I stop with the brake thingy? Fugedaboudit! That's what soft, grassy hillsides are for (choose carefully; no boulders or rusted shards of jagged metal...).
Thanks for this forum...it has been very helpful.

Last edited by four_spin; January 6th, 2008 at 01:47 PM.
four_spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #136
four_spin

Default Ace bandages! Ace bandages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakitiDL View Post
Well, today was a completely horrible off-day for me. I haven't been able to skate all week, so I'm out of tune. I went out to the same city with the parking lot, but instead of going there, I decided to try a bike trail that's close to it. To get to the trail, I had to park in a parking lot, but I didn't realize that the trail didn't start immediately after that. Instead, I first had to travel down the slight ramp into the parking lot, and I fell. (It leads into a busy road, so I was trying to be extra-cautious and failing.) Then there's a short sidewalk, and after the sidewalk, you have to go up a very bumpy private driveway before you get to the actual trail. I fell here too. Somewhere along the line I cut my arm, but I don't know where.

Anyway, once I got to the trail, my right leg was being really painful. I've had this pain before, and I tried adjusting the skate fit, but it didn't really help. Part of it might be because I hadn't skated all week. If that's the case, is there anything I can do on the days I can't skate to help keep my legs in shape so that they don't fall out on me on the days I can skate? Because of this pain, I wasn't able to go out too far onto the trail. It also felt like I had forgotten everything I'd learned since I started skating. Very disappointing. It was slightly easier coming back because it was on a very slight downhill, but I wish I could have stayed longer.

Then, to add insult to injury, I met up with a mother and daughter skating pair when I returned to the beginning of the trail and started taking my skates off. (I wasn't going to try skating those rough areas again. I was just going to walk them this time.) They weren't wearing a helmet or any pads, but then they took off like speed demons as though they've done this a thousand times before.
Nakiti, Ace bandages, the long ones, have dramatically helped my stability, and totally eliminated any blisters, rubbings, etc. on my legs, ankles, and feet.
Control, and therefore speed, shot way up immediately after the addition of the Ace bandages. My left foot is apparently smaller than my right, creating a terribly unstable situation. However, now the ill fit of the left boot has been eliminated, and the right is simply all the more stable.
Go for the Ace bandages!
Old January 6th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #137
four_spin

Default Ace bandages=more stability=more speed=less pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadsterGrrl View Post
Ok I've been skating on average once a week for 2 months now, and I can say I pretty much get the hang of it, but how can I skate faster????? I seem to be skating less than 5 mph, and joggers pass me by.
Roadster, Ace bandages, the long ones, solved my own problem of one foot being bigger than the other, blisters, abrasive pain, instability, etc. I can now go much faster, since I can push harder off the rear skate now. I imagined that this is what an Olympic ice skater must feel like! I was really moving on!
Also, you have to be willing to stretch out into a wider stance as you quest for more speed. I think sprinting up smooth inclines might help with that.
My wheels are 90mm. I read somewhere that bigger wheels mean more speed; just look at the racing skates! Of course this makes sense. Bearings rated highly by ABEC (OMG, yet another acronym...) may also increase your speed. Mine are ABEC 7's. The rating goes up to 9...and there are other rating organizations, I think. I paid only aroung 60.00 for my skates at Academy Sports, and was delighted with how they were outfitted, right out of the box. However, I'm already eyeing some Bonts!
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #138
four_spin

Default Kudos to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakitiDL View Post
Well, today I have found a goldmine in a training area. It's an old abandoned shopping center with a huge parking lot. A bit run-down, but overall very smooth, and I get the entire place to myself. Unfortunately, it's about 20-30 minutes from where I live, so I don't have the time or gas to go except once or twice a week.

I went skating there this morning, and I no longer seem to have the pain in my leg that I was having. (See my other thread.) I feel a bit overwhelmed, though, just because I have so many things to learn. I keep trying to keep in mind to bend at my knees, but once I get going, I feel like I start bending at the waist. I've also been practicing with the heel brake, and I was doing better by the time I left, but I've still got a way to go. I'm left-handed, so I might try moving the brake to the other skate and see if that makes a difference. I've heard that sometimes it does.
You are working hard to actually learn to use the heel brake! For me, it's speed, speed, speed...and fitness. Brake, you say? How does one do that?
Is bending forward at the waist a cardinal sin in skating? I do it often, especially when taking a turn at speed. My upper body weight still seems to be centered over my skates, however.
Maybe this gives me the appearance of "Gumby" on skates.
Maybe not too cool.
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #139
four_spin

Default Intimidation is your enemy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeLLy View Post
Hi all,

I suppose this is where a little introduction is in place?

I'm 27, I live in Belgium (North-Europe) and i started fitness inline skating with a friend to get fit. I hate running or going to a gym, and since I used to ice skate a lot, back in my teens (can only do that in the winter anyway), inline skating seemed like a good idea.

So the first 5-6 weeks i was trying to get into shape and it was hard work at first. I really enjoy the skating now, the moves give a bit the sensation of ice skating (witch i loved to do and was pretty good at). Altought i don't dare to pick up to much speed yet.
Now i go skating 2 times a week for +- 7 km's (4,5 miles).
After 3 months, i still can't brake. This forum helped me by understanding the techinque of braking tho. Performing it is a different thing... i find the balance very difficult. - I just tend to put my feet in a 90C angle and make a turn that way or grab something ^^ or just naturaly slow down.

Anyone living near Bruges wanna give me some lessons?
KeLLy,
Surely you know that your request for lessons will have generated a very long line of eager male instructors. The pix helped. I, myself, am tempted to buy a round-trip plane ticket from Alabama, USA, to Belgium. However, this would certainly fall under the category of "Hopeless, Long-Distance Romance". Sorry.
I've read that one should never attempt to grab onto something when learning to inline...this being responsible for most wipeouts. Seems to be true, from my own vast experience. I can also vouch for the conviction that the fear of falling can actually cause you to fall. This devil-may-care attitude really helps when you want to zip along, unless, of course, you fall.
FOUR_SPIN DISCLAIMER:
Mr. four_spin is not a professional, inline skater...he just plays one on TV (no, not on the American show, "Jack-***"). Mr. four_spin is not to be held responsible for any rending of limbs, or shredding of flesh incurred in observance of the above reply.
Signed,
four_spin
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #140
four_spin

Default You are so right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablemaker2 View Post
I try to keep my weight centered on my skates when on a smooth surface. This way I know that my center of gravity is perpendicular - very important when skating ramps & inclines. When I am concerned about loose stones and such, I will try to keep more weight in back. When going down inclines, I lean forward. With inlines, it takes a bit more to fall forward than backward, kind of like skiing.
fablemaker2...
I, too, often encounter rough asphalt for which I must transfer a bit of weight to my heels in order to get over it. This kind 'o transforms my skates into all-terrain vehicles (...though I don't even want to talk about that unintended, short-lived trek o'er a certain forest path) Your equation rings true, as well. I had mentioned earlier the desire to own a suit of armor, which I would wear during my skating adventures. Sure, this would make me wipe out more, instead of less, but just picture the resulting shower of sparks, a grand display on New Year's Eve, or maybe the 4th of July!