S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old September 20th, 2016, 04:49 PM   #1781
joshraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Welcome to the community, Josh!
Thank you Gee!
Going by your profile pic, I'm assuming you're a fellow musician-skater...?
joshraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 10:58 PM   #1782
whiskey02

Default new member - whiskey02

Hello all, I just joined the forum, my name is Todd and my ID is whiskey02 (in memory of my first greyhound, Whiskey). I was a cyclist back in the day and ruined my hands ala carpal tunnel and so turned to skating. I've been away from skating for a while due to some chronic pain issues but am finding out that skating seem to relieve some of my pain along with using a leg press machine. Anyway, really looking forward to getting to know you folks and sharing with you.
whiskey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 11:42 PM   #1783
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Welcome aboard! I too am a serious cyclist who has cut back on two wheeled fun and moved almost exclusively to four (longboards) and eight (inlines). Mostly due to motorist facination with electronic devices behind the wheel.

Lots of good advice to be had here. Happy to have you here.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 02:23 AM   #1784
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey02 View Post
Hello all, I just joined the forum, my name is Todd and my ID is whiskey02 (in memory of my first greyhound, Whiskey). I was a cyclist back in the day and ruined my hands ala carpal tunnel and so turned to skating. I've been away from skating for a while due to some chronic pain issues but am finding out that skating seem to relieve some of my pain along with using a leg press machine. Anyway, really looking forward to getting to know you folks and sharing with you.
Doing 100 miles on bike this weekend. But I skate much, much more.

Welcome aboard.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 07:54 AM   #1785
EoinCuinn

I've been around for a few months now, collected a few bits of advice, I just found this thread so here goes.

My name is Dan, I am 38, and I have resumed skating after a 22 year gap. My previous experience wasn't anything special, school sports time at the local rink.

My wife took our 3 and 5 year old girls out for a go at a toddlers session, the 7 year old decided she wanted a go, and here we are 6 months down the track all pretty involved at our local rink here in NSW, Australia.

It's been a massive learning curve on hardware and technique, and I've had some solid advice on here already, and hopefully I will get some more as required.

I am on Edea boots on roll-line plates, the two eldest girls are on Starfire skates until we know they are serious, or their skating prowess demands better, and the 3 year old is a pair of custom SureGrips, due to the complete lack of decent skates over here on a J9 plate. Our local rink coach and most of the competitors here are all on Edea / Roll-line, so that will pretty much be the skates for us into the future if everyone stays on skates.

We all skate indoors only, doing figure skating lessons weekly, and rink skating any other chance I can get. I would skate everyday, but the wife would probably have an issue with it. I am quickly contemplating some form of outdoor setup to increase the time I get to skate, but I know the second I do that I'll be buying outdoor skates for everyone!

Loving the forum, looking forward to a long association in the world of skating!
EoinCuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 10:36 AM   #1786
larryoracing

Smile If you are careful you can use your indoor skates, outdoors.

You will just have to have a extra set of wheels and bearings for outdoor skating.

Good luck and congratulations on your families love of skating. It's a life time occupation...lol!

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 10:40 AM   #1787
Little

Default Hi new guys

I've not been here long either but love the place. I've gone from not knowing what the heck I was doing to flying about the place on the perfect skate set up all down the the help of these guys on here.
Welcome.

Real life Tazmanian Devil 💥💨
Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 09:27 PM   #1788
nmcgrawj

Hello all,

I have renewed my love for skating with my 3yr daughter and 7yr old becoming interested in skating themselves. I have been reading the forum for the past 2 weeks trying to see what the latest trends are...just got my new Rollerblade RB XL skates...wasn't easy finding larger than a size 14. Its been about 16 years since I was on skates...Back then I was skating around the neighborhood and playing roller hockey daily...the good ol' days!

Looking forward to spending more time on the site and learning more about skating
nmcgrawj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 05:36 AM   #1789
80sSkatingUnicorn
Just call me Michelle

Red face *is a bit shy*

Um, hi, I'm Michelle.
I didn't skate very much when I was little. Mostly because there really wasn't any place to do it.
But I just moved to Brooklyn last year and found out that there was a roller rink in the park that hosts roller discos. I want to join in on the fun so I decided to take up roller skating lessons there.
It's a lot of fun but I don't really know anybody else who's into roller skating so that's why I'm here.
80sSkatingUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 04:49 AM   #1790
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Michelle you live in the best place in the world for skating. There's always something going on. If you're not already, you should get on the email list for Central Park Dance Skate Association.http://cpdsa.org
Hope that link works. They list a lot of other events (not just park skating). If you ever venture out I hear that Branch Brook in NJ hosts a sick First Thursday skate each month. Good luck. It's a smaller skating community than you'd think. If you put on some blades you can do Wednesday night skate around Manhattan, it's about 10 miles, they meet at Union Square.http://www.weskateny.org/about.htm

Wish I lived where you live!!!
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2016, 02:22 PM   #1791
Miss Behaved

Greetings to all posters before me and hello to those after this one. As I fumble and stumble as a new skater would, to do my setup then learn navigation, betcha can't tell this is my very first post? Henceforth my introduction:

Hi I'm Miss Behaved, which is perfect for my moods. Mostly I am well behaved, sometimes I'm very mis... well you get it. My name is Jody, back to skating from a rather long hiatus. A few years ago a little girl at the rink fell and kicked my feet out from behind thankfully I did not fall on her. I was rewarded with a cracked hip and a broken confidence the next few times I skated. It didn't help me with my kids saying "Mom, please don't fall again". Anyway, I have made a full recovery in all aspects. I shall skate on!

I'm not getting any older, but my body is, so my new focus is outdoor skating for primarily health and fitness. My new Jackson/Luigino/Pilot F16 skates will be ready to pick up Tuesday. I am so excited, like a little girl waiting in front of the sparkling Christmas tree. Merry Christmas to all here too!

For greater motivation and the fact that I have to buy all the derby gear anyway, I'm getting involved with WFTDA. This season's orientation is today. Lucky me! Forgive me, I'm obsessing I want to tell all my friends. I'm here, I'm new, Hello Kitty is ready to be thrown to the Alleycats! Thanks for letting me share.
Miss Behaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2016, 06:31 PM   #1792
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Behaved View Post
Thanks for letting me share.
Welcome!

Will be great to hear about your skating progress outdoors and experiences with the Derby girls. So much for not falling tho.

Cheers!
Old December 12th, 2016, 03:33 AM   #1793
Miss Behaved

Thank you Joey. I am now fresh zebra meat in flat track. I am wonderfully surprised how well received I am, as I peppered them about what safety gear they use and like. I'm never at a loss for stories, some find me quite entertaining. I suspect I fell into a good crowd of outlaws, there and here.
Miss Behaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 02:01 AM   #1794
thesavo

I just picked up inline skating again in January after 15 years. I was pretty terrible in high school. The best I an do are heel to heel Mohawks.

I usually skate at roll-a-rama in Rotterdam NY, or Guptill's in Latham, NY.

My current skates are second hand K2 exo's.
thesavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 02:10 AM   #1795
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesavo View Post
I just picked up inline skating again in January after 15 years. I was pretty terrible in high school. The best I an do are heel to heel Mohawks.

I usually skate at roll-a-rama in Rotterdam NY, or Guptill's in Latham, NY.

My current skates are second hand K2 exo's.
I was terrible in High School too, so boring. But in College I wore the honor cord for my major. Oh you meant a terribe skater?
Old January 17th, 2017, 02:35 AM   #1796
bigred875

Hi! I'm Ryan...another guy getting back into skating after a 25 year break. I bought a cheap pair of skates on amazon when I found out my mother bought my son and nephew some for Christmas.

I am having a blast skating with them but have quickly reached the limitations of these skates....i thought they would be good enough!

I almost bought my childhood skates off ebay yesterday...i'm kind of glad it didnt work out...I am not sure they would have been the best setup for me. They are a mint pair of light blue labeda's on laser plates....I drooled over them back in the day and my heart skipped a beat when i saw the auction in my size. I am 6' 230lbs...I am not sure that plate would be strong enough....thoughts?

I am heading to a pro shop in the morning for a consult....I feel like I need to get infront of someone that knows what they are talking about before making another impulse purchase.....i'd love to hear some advice...

I joined here for advice for my skates, upgrades for my son and nephew, try to hook up with skaters in my area and chat with like minded people.

I've already found some useful threads...nice place you got here
bigred875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 04:49 AM   #1797
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Hi.Ryan
I'm not a fan of plastic plates so buy a proline or synder advantage.And do yourself a favor and get scotties wheels.
Unless you like NTS then get a Boen or Rogua.
Cheers
Old January 17th, 2017, 09:52 AM   #1798
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred875 View Post
Hi! I'm Ryan...another guy getting back into skating after a 25 year break. I bought a cheap pair of skates on amazon when I found out my mother bought my son and nephew some for Christmas.

I am having a blast skating with them but have quickly reached the limitations of these skates....i thought they would be good enough!

I almost bought my childhood skates off ebay yesterday...i'm kind of glad it didnt work out...I am not sure they would have been the best setup for me. They are a mint pair of light blue labeda's on laser plates....I drooled over them back in the day and my heart skipped a beat when i saw the auction in my size. I am 6' 230lbs...I am not sure that plate would be strong enough....thoughts?

I am heading to a pro shop in the morning for a consult....I feel like I need to get infront of someone that knows what they are talking about before making another impulse purchase.....i'd love to hear some advice...

I joined here for advice for my skates, upgrades for my son and nephew, try to hook up with skaters in my area and chat with like minded people.

I've already found some useful threads...nice place you got here
Welcome aboard! Yea, don't buy cheap skates. You'll end up at at least $300. But particulars depend on the type of skating upu wish to do. I recommend a high boot for a 25 year breaker. But most people don't like those anymore. But I love my ankles.
Old January 17th, 2017, 12:18 PM   #1799
bigred875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Welcome aboard! Yea, don't buy cheap skates. You'll end up at at least $300. But particulars depend on the type of skating upu wish to do. I recommend a high boot for a 25 year breaker. But most people don't like those anymore. But I love my ankles.
thanks for the warm welcome! I have a $500 budget...so I should be able to get something decent.

Your boot height point is something I wonder...what are the advantages of both? I feel like I would prefer a low boot....I feel the riedell 195s calling my name for some reason...but I don't want to hurt myself.

Ever feel like the more you learn about something the less you feel you know?
bigred875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #1800
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred875 View Post
thanks for the warm welcome! I have a $500 budget...so I should be able to get something decent.

Your boot height point is something I wonder...what are the advantages of both? I feel like I would prefer a low boot....I feel the riedell 195s calling my name for some reason...but I don't want to hurt myself.

Ever feel like the more you learn about something the less you feel you know?
Yea, my first pair on returning to skating was like that. You'll get used to a quality skate pretty quickly.