S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old December 29th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #1
Miss Behaved

Default Has anyone tried "Bunny Lacing" quad skates?

Girls like me that love corsetting know exactly what bunny lacing is. All others can refer to Ian's Shoe Lace site, main menu - corset lacing, for a diagram of what I am talking about.

In corsetting, bunny lacing allows the tightening and shaping of the bust and hips at relatively different tensions to get that lovely hourglass shape. So what does that have to do with quad skates?

The plus side I see is better tightening toe independent of ankle, maybe a little more ease and speed of lacing up. With the double bows in the middle, the bows can be tucked under the ankle strap to keep them secure. Getting the skate laced may take a few tries to get it right, after the learning curve it may become easy I think? My Jackson's have eighteen eyelets, I think I will try eight on the bottom, the next four for the loops and the remaining six on the top. The laces are pulled from the center loops then tied as usual.

Your input please. Miss Bee
Miss Behaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 08:41 PM   #2
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Pull Down, Not Up

A common mistake in boot lacing is pulling up against the eyelets instead of down against the tongue. Pulling up will eventually pull eyelets loose, if the boot has them. If no eyelets, the laces will simply dig into the boot material.
Old December 30th, 2016, 12:43 AM   #3
Miss Behaved

Thanks I can use this!

My Slip Nit laces fit perfectly, the bunny lace comes out just right. Bows locked under the straps. Fitting the new Deadbolt Scuffbusters took a little fiddling. The top strap laces nicely under the laces, velcro to the toe cap and then down to the toe grip shank.

I'd like to see how others do it too. If I figure out how to do pictures, I will have a new Avatar and also show the final lacing results here.
Old December 30th, 2016, 01:38 AM   #4
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Wax Your Surfboard

Another cheap trick to keep laces from loosening - coat them lightly with Parowax, the same stuff I used to wax the top of my surfboard to give me some grip.

This treatment for laces helps prevent slipping and loosening. Try it, you'll like it.
Old December 30th, 2016, 02:15 PM   #5
scottishrob
Church of SK8IN'

Default Parowax!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
Another cheap trick to keep laces from loosening - coat them lightly with Parowax, the same stuff I used to wax the top of my surfboard to give me some grip.

This treatment for laces helps prevent slipping and loosening. Try it, you'll like it.
Man I haven't heard people using baker's wax on their planks since I was a kid. There was a group that rode the breaks between Moonlight beach and San Onofre(Dolly Parton for the locals) that swore by the stuff. I've always been a fan of Mr. Zogs or Stickybumps. Sorry for going off topic, but thanks for the trip down memory lane.
scottishrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 03:47 AM   #6
BigFoot

Thanks for the website, Missy. And thanks to Ian, of course. Very informative and extensive. Going to take awhile to go through his site.

Some of them are difficult to tighten and require a lot longer laces, but look absolutely fantastic. I especially like this woven one:

I have never used the corset tie. It looks like it would be a good way to jump over hot spots. I once did the same thing by cutting one lace in two and having two tied on the same skate with a gap between them where I wanted it loose. Also agree that wax works great for locking your laces.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 04:55 AM   #7
Miss Behaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Thanks for the website, Missy. And thanks to Ian, of course. Very informative and extensive. Going to take awhile to go through his site.

Some of them are difficult to tighten and require a lot longer laces, but look absolutely fantastic. I especially like this woven one:

I have never used the corset tie. It looks like it would be a good way to jump over hot spots. I once did the same thing by cutting one lace in two and having two tied on the same skate with a gap between them where I wanted it loose. Also agree that wax works great for locking your laces.
Your welcome. The jury is still out on the Slip Not laces. They seem to be a little too sticky when tightening. If I swap out for cheaper lacings, I will definitely try the wax.
Old December 31st, 2016, 10:10 AM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Behaved View Post
Your welcome. The jury is still out on the Slip Not laces. They seem to be a little too sticky when tightening. If I swap out for cheaper lacings, I will definitely try the wax.
I've used slip nots before, wasn't impressed really, as I didn't have issues with lacing before, the little bit of tackiness they seemed to have wasn't a factor for me, and when pulling them to tighten the boot they seemed to require more pull force.

about the best thing you can do before lacing it tap your heel into the back of the boot, really trying to get it snugly down where it belongs before lacing up helps keep everything tight too, most people lace with weight on their feet, its better to have that weight on the heel with the toe pointing up.
Old January 1st, 2017, 12:19 AM   #9
BigFoot

Here is another suggestion. Put your boot on and off a few times before lacing up. Wiggle your foot around and make sure your foot is settled into its usual place and your socks are evenly centered and not askew. Loosen you laces/adjust your socks, if needed. When it feels good, lace ‘em up.

Here is what things look like when you get it right…

BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 01:03 AM   #10
ursle
Street Skater

I want my toes loose and my heel tight,so the bottom three eyelets are loose, then I tie a double knot and the next eyelets are quite tight, I stop at the bridge of the foot, no ankle restraint, orthotics are great, the foot slips in and bottoms out, ultra thin socks take no space, point I'm making is orthotics, they grab the foot and keep it tight and the blood flowing, cut off blood flow and numbness and accidents rear up.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote