S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old December 5th, 2016, 01:56 PM   #1
Newskaterink

Default Skating 'Pro' Shop @ My Rink

Can I get some input on the inventory I should be stocking. A rough outline maybe? Staples and Goodies?

I am not talking about the novelty counter, food service or redemptions.

Just the skating pro shop with skates, parts, laces, apparel, etc., etc.

Thanks!
Newskaterink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 09:41 PM   #2
whiskey02

My suggestion is that you walk up to the faces that you see on a regular basis and ask them directly what they'd like to have available. Couldn't hurt to establish and cultivate relationships with the regulars. Ask them what bearings, wheels, socks, etc. they use.
Good luck.
whiskey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #3
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newskaterink View Post
Can I get some input on the inventory I should be stocking. A rough outline maybe? Staples and Goodies?

I am not talking about the novelty counter, food service or redemptions.

Just the skating pro shop with skates, parts, laces, apparel, etc., etc.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, cheap skates. The general public eats them up. Vanillas are the best they'll purchase at the counter.

Socks, definately socks. People forget to wear socks all the time and don't put a bare foot in a rental eewwwwww......

The rest of the inventory is usually quite low. Get a small inventory of high quality wheels and bearings though. The middle ground won't sell from the counter. If your inclined to sell plates and trucks get fairly high quality. Anyone who buys just plates or trucks isn't entry level. But it's more for flash and pzzaz and make them want it. They won't buy it. You'll end up ordering anyway. Just shine it up and let it sit.

You want to make the counter look high quality but stock the stuff that sells.
Old December 5th, 2016, 11:50 PM   #4
ursle
Street Skater

For a good pro shop you're going to need a good mechanic-technician, hire someone experienced, even as a consultant, that person will know what sells and needs to be in stock and that person will draw people that can be custom ordered for, if your prices are competitive this forum would even be a market.

"Connies" an online shop allows boot fitting at any location, you could hook up with them for custom boots, they stock them, you try them, if they don't fit, try another, you're not carrying an expensive overhead, good luck
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2016, 02:40 AM   #5
Newskaterink

thanks so far for the answers and input, your info is a huge help!
Old December 6th, 2016, 03:48 AM   #6
Trixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Unfortunately, cheap skates. The general public eats them up. Vanillas are the best they'll purchase at the counter.
+1 Vanillas. Code Red, Tuxedo, Altitude, all the basic package Vanilla skates. For what they are, they are very skateable. Almost all the teens at the local rink use these and many of them are quite good skaters.
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2016, 01:11 PM   #7
Rollmazicon

Any chance of hosting a local roller derby team? If so, derby sells.
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2016, 05:27 PM   #8
Newskaterink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmazicon View Post
Any chance of hosting a local roller derby team? If so, derby sells.
Are you in the panhandle of FLA?

If so, what does it take?
Old December 6th, 2016, 09:49 PM   #9
Rollmazicon

I'm in Central Fl, but I'm sure there's a derby league nearby that's looking for a new home rink (good rinks that are willing to accommodate derby can be hard to come by). They'd pay you each month to be able to come in and skate for a few hours 2-3 evenings a week and host games on the occasional weekend (the local rink charges $2k/month for 8-10 pm Mon and Weds, not sure if that includes weekend games).
If you want to be accommodating, you just need a standard WFTDA derby track painted on your floor (tape can be used as well, but its a hassle) and have a skate shop that stocks the gear they're interested in (just take a look in the derby section).

If you're near Destin or somewhere with money, many of the girls would come in and drop $600+ each season on a new set of skates (and there's a constant revolving door of "fresh meat" that will buy Riedell R3's and quit soon after).
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2016, 02:57 AM   #10
amohrfeld

In my experience rinks can't rotate inventory very fast, especially high top skates over $100 and speed quads over $200. You want to advertise that you can order skates. And, you want some "show pieces". But make sure the case is locked so they don't get stolen during teen night.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 02:43 AM   #11
mmmm_bacon
Senior Poser - Vote 4 Me!

Thumbs up Skating 'Pro' Shop @ My Rink - Start & Advertise an Admission Matching program

Keep a roster at your ticket counter. On it, mark the name/dollar amount/date of purchase of people that have spent some minimum (most rinks do $100 minimum) on skates or components in a single purchase. Match what they spent in free admission, give them up to a year to use the credit before it expires.

If you use RC's turn-key virtual-pro-shop, you can (and should) incorporate the monthly sales/customer data from RC into your roster - you'll just have to pay attention - the web-based proshop orders will have a different account number from orders made to stock your physical rink shop.

Then advertise the program on everything you print.

Between me, my derby-playing spouse and my gaggle of kids, I've spent a >lot< (think thousands) more than I otherwise would have ordering components through my local rink instead of ordering from amazon and other on-line-only dealers, even if the rink's prices are a few dollars higher, because I'm going to buy this s__t anyway - might as well patronize the rink that's going to reward my family and I for buying it through them. It's also encouraged me to become a welcome regular and develop a relationship with the owner and send my kids to his rink for classes instead of sending them to the competing rinks here.

The point is, admission matching programs are a huge WIN-WIN, for both the rink owner(s) and the skater(s).
Old December 11th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #12
Rossman76

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmm_bacon View Post
Keep a roster at your ticket counter. On it, mark the name/dollar amount/date of purchase of people that have spent some minimum (most rinks do $100 minimum) on skates or components in a single purchase. Match what they spent in free admission, give them up to a year to use the credit before it expires.

If you use RC's turn-key virtual-pro-shop, you can (and should) incorporate the monthly sales/customer data from RC into your roster - you'll just have to pay attention - the web-based proshop orders will have a different account number from orders made to stock your physical rink shop.

Then advertise the program on everything you print.

Between me, my derby-playing spouse and my gaggle of kids, I've spent a >lot< (think thousands) more than I otherwise would have ordering components through my local rink instead of ordering from amazon and other on-line-only dealers, even if the rink's prices are a few dollars higher, because I'm going to buy this s__t anyway - might as well patronize the rink that's going to reward my family and I for buying it through them. It's also encouraged me to become a welcome regular and develop a relationship with the owner and send my kids to his rink for classes instead of sending them to the competing rinks here.

The point is, admission matching programs are a huge WIN-WIN, for both the rink owner(s) and the skater(s).
I couldn't agree more,that will establish a good relationship with the customers being able to skate what they spent ,for sessions throughout the year.also,stocking high quality show pieces!!thats what keeps young kids dreaming and keeps their aspirations high!
Rossman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 06:36 PM   #13
mmmm_bacon

Default high-end display product unlikely to sell at your rink, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossman76 View Post
I couldn't agree more,that will establish a good relationship with the customers being able to skate what they spent ,for sessions throughout the year.

also,stocking high quality show pieces!!thats what keeps young kids dreaming and keeps their aspirations high!
Show pieces can be powerful, but they need to be done very carefully. Yes, they will help keep the kids (and more adults than will admit it) aspiring, but -do not- order expensive show pieces in kids sizes. Very few parents will spend that level of cash on skates that will only fit for a year (two if you're lucky).

Instead, order all of your higher/highest tier displays in men's US-10.5 (10 or 11 if only in whole sizes) and women's US-7.5 (7 or 8 if only in whole sizes). That will make them much easier/more-likely to sell off of the display wall/case (still unlikely to happen, but this will maximize the odds) or liquidate on-line after a few years if their model(s) are discontinued (what will most likely happen).
Old December 19th, 2016, 04:33 PM   #14
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default +1

Quote:
Show pieces can be powerful, but they need to be done very carefully.
Very good advice!

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 07:48 AM   #15
Miss Behaved

I want to toss in some thoughts to your idea salad. If they seem only like distractors and unpalatable, fork them to the side of your plate. Here goes.

Maybe it goes without saying, on all maintenance and consumable items like laces, bearing lubes, and such, offer two or more levels of price and quality. Speaking of bearings, you could offer an ultrasonic cleaning as a drop off service. You pull bearings from wheels and clean/lube with seals on, or if they prefer they can drop off stripped seal bearing and make them responsible for their seals. The idea is not a while you wait service, but extra work and money for the off hours. As a perk offer them discount admission coupons included on their claim ticket. They pick up the clean bearings in a sealed bag on their next visit. Family plan pricing too. Example : $5.00 first set, $4.00 second, $3.00 third and so on for each drop off cleaning. Start with an inexpensive unit, like Harbor freight and dollar store plastic storage containers for orders, if it really takes off buy a new or used industrial unit. Advertise the service and discounts on your flyers and web page.

Find an inexpensive salvage glass case that can lock and add a resale consignment service. Be very careful not to turn them into a bag of snakes, small and simple is better. Charge a nominal fee for listing and say a three month cab space, a small percentage on the sale of the item, a small exit fee if it doesn't sell that is waived if it is gifted to your Donate A Skate nonprofit for underprivileged kids. Speaking of, you could offer rink off time skating for sheltered and struggling families with children. Let the skeleton crew handle the skating, let church and community groups provide snacks and simple entertainment. Free skating for volunteers and their families to the rink capacity. The kids could all mingle and have more fun. You are building good will and exposure. The web page could list more items than the glass case exposure time. Maybe build a small desk quiosk from a thrift store computer and a few network monitors, limit the functions and files yet let the administrator roll them into the network. The user write the basic information portion of the ad, uploads the pictures. One monitor in the pro shop displays the slide show pic and price, the deal and details on the linked page to the website. All these little hats to wear might keep your sales tech person busy full time, encouraging better quality employees, who knows?

The profits would offset the wage, maybe not much more. The idea is sustainability and getting your venue on everybody's lips. Kids constantly outgrow skates, family friendly makes repeat visits. Well wishes for your success. Miss Bee
Miss Behaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #16
Newskaterink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Behaved View Post
I want to toss in some thoughts to your idea salad. If they seem only like distractors and unpalatable, fork them to the side of your plate. Here goes.

Maybe it goes without saying, on all maintenance and consumable items like laces, bearing lubes, and such, offer two or more levels of price and quality. Speaking of bearings, you could offer an ultrasonic cleaning as a drop off service. You pull bearings from wheels and clean/lube with seals on, or if they prefer they can drop off stripped seal bearing and make them responsible for their seals. The idea is not a while you wait service, but extra work and money for the off hours. As a perk offer them discount admission coupons included on their claim ticket. They pick up the clean bearings in a sealed bag on their next visit. Family plan pricing too. Example : $5.00 first set, $4.00 second, $3.00 third and so on for each drop off cleaning. Start with an inexpensive unit, like Harbor freight and dollar store plastic storage containers for orders, if it really takes off buy a new or used industrial unit. Advertise the service and discounts on your flyers and web page.

Find an inexpensive salvage glass case that can lock and add a resale consignment service. Be very careful not to turn them into a bag of snakes, small and simple is better. Charge a nominal fee for listing and say a three month cab space, a small percentage on the sale of the item, a small exit fee if it doesn't sell that is waived if it is gifted to your Donate A Skate nonprofit for underprivileged kids. Speaking of, you could offer rink off time skating for sheltered and struggling families with children. Let the skeleton crew handle the skating, let church and community groups provide snacks and simple entertainment. Free skating for volunteers and their families to the rink capacity. The kids could all mingle and have more fun. You are building good will and exposure. The web page could list more items than the glass case exposure time. Maybe build a small desk quiosk from a thrift store computer and a few network monitors, limit the functions and files yet let the administrator roll them into the network. The user write the basic information portion of the ad, uploads the pictures. One monitor in the pro shop displays the slide show pic and price, the deal and details on the linked page to the website. All these little hats to wear might keep your sales tech person busy full time, encouraging better quality employees, who knows?

The profits would offset the wage, maybe not much more. The idea is sustainability and getting your venue on everybody's lips. Kids constantly outgrow skates, family friendly makes repeat visits. Well wishes for your success. Miss Bee
Great input....thanks!
Old December 20th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #17
Miss Behaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmazicon View Post
I'm in Central Fl, but I'm sure there's a derby league nearby that's looking for a new home rink (good rinks that are willing to accommodate derby can be hard to come by). They'd pay you each month to be able to come in and skate for a few hours 2-3 evenings a week and host games on the occasional weekend (the local rink charges $2k/month for 8-10 pm Mon and Weds, not sure if that includes weekend games).
If you want to be accommodating, you just need a standard WFTDA derby track painted on your floor (tape can be used as well, but its a hassle) and have a skate shop that stocks the gear they're interested in (just take a look in the derby section).

If you're near Destin or somewhere with money, many of the girls would come in and drop $600+ each season on a new set of skates (and there's a constant revolving door of "fresh meat" that will buy Riedell R3's and quit soon after).
I like the derby idea but I will share that leagues and teams in central Arizona don't use rinks, though they would seem to compliment each other. They rent from the abundant cheap warehouse space glut from the economy crash for practice and public auditorium venues for monthly seasonal bouts. Not to say you couldn't sponsor a league or team.
Read the complete WTFDA website, paying particular attention to track setup, administrative and safety protocol sections. If it seems to work for you, take the whole plan information to your legal counsel to see if you could effectively keep them sole and separate in the same complex without any liability linkages. Your league need not be a WFTDA member, but the resources are right on track. No need to reinvent the wheel.

If it won't fly, maybe host a skate with the derby girls event. T-shirt and memorabilia sales too. Let your Pro shop offer a different customized fresh meat package, advertise all the above on your website. Offer reward tickets to bouts too. Print your own derby T-shirt with skater star, rink and Pro shop advertisements.

The liability of derby may keep your rink from being a track, but using simple complimentary ideas won't keep you out of the derby market game. Welcome to Florida's newest and biggest skating hub, move over Six Flags! Forgive me, giggle, just having a little fun with my crystal ball. Don't forget the autographed skates in a shadow box display, your famous derby girl splits with you the sale of her last season's skates and does a skate promo including YouTube with you. Win, win! Of course you build this season's custom skates for her and work a deal to sell knockoffs. This is fun, I'll stop now.
Miss Behaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 08:54 PM   #18
Altpensacola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newskaterink View Post
Are you in the panhandle of FLA?

If so, what does it take?
Contact Pensacola Roller Girls
about how to get going with a league in this area.
They play teams all along the gulf coast so you might have some future stars in your area.
They have some very dedicated coaches and managers (and GURLZS)
Old January 5th, 2017, 12:41 PM   #19
mmmm_bacon

Quote:
I like the derby idea but I will share that leagues and teams in central Arizona don't use rinks, though they would seem to compliment each other. They rent from the abundant cheap warehouse space glut from the economy crash for practice and public auditorium venues for monthly seasonal bouts. Not to say you couldn't sponsor a league or team.
I wonder if this is a regional thing? In my little corner of the Midwest there are numerous leagues playing multiple rule sets and none of them practice/bout in a warehouse except as a last resort if they can't find an affordable/agreeable arena and/or rink, which almost all of them have.

Quote:
Read the complete WTFDA website, paying particular attention to track setup, administrative and safety protocol sections.
Speaking of multiple rule sets... if you're looking at the spectrum of rules and spectrum of league types you'd do well to look at them all.

For "regular" play there are:

JRDA
http://www.juniorrollerderby.org/

MADE
http://www.skatemade.org/rollerderbyrules

USARS
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Roller-Sp...ler-Derby.aspx

WFTDA
https://wftda.org/rules

And there are even "fitness" groups:

Derby Lite
http://www.derbylite.net/home.asp

Quote:
If it seems to work for you, take the whole plan information to your legal counsel to see if you could effectively keep them sole and separate in the same complex without any liability linkages. Your league need not be a WFTDA member, but the resources are right on track. No need to reinvent the wheel. ... The liability of derby may keep your rink from being a track, but using simple complimentary ideas won't keep you out of the derby market game.

Despite the humbug of some rink owners about insurance, the fact is that roller rink insurance is a competitive marketplace with plenty of underwriters that want the business. While not all policies include roller sports, many do and riders are almost always available for those that don't.

A brief sampling:

http://www.skatinginsurance.com/

http://www.sadlersports.com/roller-s...rance-program/

http://www.alliedinsmgr.com/ice-roll...ing-insurance/

https://www.kandkinsurance.com/Recre...acilities.aspx

Also, sometimes there are overlapping layers of insurance covering roller sports leagues, with the rink's policy and/or the league's policy (http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Roller-Sp...ce-Reciprocity)

More anecdotally, the local rinks here obviously have it figured out - very few are not hosting at least one club/league for hockey/dance/derby/slalom/speed/etc. Moreover, several owners of one of the local leagues here are attorneys, so I'm guessing they've looked into it and decided it was a manageable liability.
Old January 9th, 2017, 04:53 PM   #20
Newskaterink

Quote:
I wonder if this is a regional thing? In my little corner of the Midwest there are numerous leagues playing multiple rule sets and none of them practice/bout in a warehouse except as a last resort if they can't find an affordable/agreeable arena and/or rink, which almost all of them have.

Speaking of multiple rule sets... if you're looking at the spectrum of rules and spectrum of league types you'd do well to look at them all.

For "regular" play there are:

JRDA
http://www.juniorrollerderby.org/

MADE
http://www.skatemade.org/rollerderbyrules

USARS
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Roller-Sp...ler-Derby.aspx

WFTDA
https://wftda.org/rules

And there are even "fitness" groups:

Derby Lite
http://www.derbylite.net/home.asp

Despite the humbug of some rink owners about insurance, the fact is that roller rink insurance is a competitive marketplace with plenty of underwriters that want the business. While not all policies include roller sports, many do and riders are almost always available for those that don't.

A brief sampling:

http://www.skatinginsurance.com/

http://www.sadlersports.com/roller-s...rance-program/

http://www.alliedinsmgr.com/ice-roll...ing-insurance/

https://www.kandkinsurance.com/Recre...acilities.aspx

Also, sometimes there are overlapping layers of insurance covering roller sports leagues, with the rink's policy and/or the league's policy (http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Roller-Sp...ce-Reciprocity)

More anecdotally, the local rinks here obviously have it figured out - very few are not hosting at least one club/league for hockey/dance/derby/slalom/speed/etc. Moreover, several owners of one of the local leagues here are attorneys, so I'm guessing they've looked into it and decided it was a manageable liability.
I truly appreciate this post and your time! You have helped me tremendously. Thanks again!!!!