S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:11 PM   #1
Little

Default How do I clean my bearings?

They came from the shop packed with oil and I need to get it out. I was told to open them up and clean them. I watched a youtube vid and saw people putting them in water!!! Is this right? Mine are not dirty, they're brand new. Just too oily.

Real life Tazmanian Devil 💥💨
Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 10:06 PM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little View Post
They came from the shop packed with oil and I need to get it out. I was told to open them up and clean them. I watched a youtube vid and saw people putting them in water!!! Is this right? Mine are not dirty, they're brand new. Just too oily.
http://ratvision.com/index.php/featu...-to-s/bearings

just keep the outside shield or seal clean and dry to prevent dirt from caking up. don't take the lube out.
Old December 4th, 2016, 05:27 AM   #3
larryoracing

Cool Here's how not to clean your bearings..lol!

I haven't cleaned my bearings in a long time. And I have bought a ton of old school wheels that have tons of Fafnir bearings in them.

One set was loaded down with grease and I wanted to remove the grease and clean two other sets. Some just didn't spin well, from 20 years of sitting and some rust was showing. After a lot of cleaning I only threw two bearings away, because they did not spin freely after the cleaning.

1) To try to get rid of some grease I use a cotton swab Q-tip trying to remove some of the grease. I got a little.

2) Next I bought some carb cleaner in a aerosol can and used the little tube to try to squirt out the grease from each bearing. I got a little more grease out of the bearings. Not doing so well here...lol!

2a) I saved all the carb cleaner from the aerosol can because I was spraying the bearings in a container.

3) I had bought one of those ultrasonic cleaners from Harbor Freight for 45 dollars and tried to ultrasonic the remaining grease from the bearing. Finally getting somewhere but still there was grease in the bearings.

4) Decided one more time to carb cleaner aersol can with the tube and remove the last part of grease from each bearings.

5) Next I bought some WD40 in a aerosol can with the tube and cleaned each bearing. I save the WD 40 oil and used the ultrasonic cleaner to clean the bearing one more time.

6) Finally after all the bearing spun freely, I put a couple drops of the Bionic oil in each bearing.

Sincerely,

Larry O and don't try this at home...lol!It is very dangerous...lol!
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #4
Gee

For years, I just pour WD40 into an ultrasound and use that to clean the bearings.
Old December 19th, 2016, 11:43 PM   #5
Sir Dutch

Smile Sir Dutch

WD40 is about the worst item you can use for your wheel- reason WD40 contains a lot of water. Not good for bearings!! I have tried many cleaners/oils over the years and finally settled on one. Talked with a vendor who handles/works on many many racing bikes. My bearings have a cover over them--they could be taken off for cleaning, etc. The bike vendor suggested using a product where you you can leave the covering on and just soak them. Let them dry really good. Than apply a bike oil recommended for racing to your skate bearings. Works like a charm! Never have had any bearing problems!!
Sir Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 12:16 AM   #6
Miss Behaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dutch View Post
WD40 is about the worst item you can use for your wheel- reason WD40 contains a lot of water. Not good for bearings!! I have tried many cleaners/oils over the years and finally settled on one. Talked with a vendor who handles/works on many many racing bikes. My bearings have a cover over them--they could be taken off for cleaning, etc. The bike vendor suggested using a product where you you can leave the covering on and just soak them. Let them dry really good. Than apply a bike oil recommended for racing to your skate bearings. Works like a charm! Never have had any bearing problems!!
What would be the name of that product?

There is a very good sticky thread about bearing cleaning and lubing in the Ask S8Doctor forum. It's really long but worth wading through all the pages.
Miss Behaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2016, 04:55 AM   #7
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

I never clean a bearing. I purchase inexpensive Chinese bearings marked "ABEC-7 SPEED" that have removable metal shields that are NOT replaceable if you remove them. They cost about 25 cents each.

So here is what you do: Get yourself some Bones Speed Cream lube. It is made ESPECIALLY for skate bearings. Do not remove the bearing shields. Dribble a little Speed Cream into the opening between the shield and the inner bearing race. Just need a couple of drops to penetrate in there and you might have to spin the bearing a bit to help with this. You need to do this because the lube that comes standard in those bearings is trash. Then put the bearings into your wheels and skate. Skate through water puddles if you want to. The Speed Cream will keep the bearings from rusting for a long time.

As your bearings get dirty, noisy, and slow, replace them one at a time with the same brand of cheap Speed Cream treated bearings. So maybe once every month or two you will be tossing 25 cents into the trash bin. While you are at it, throw all of your bearing cleaning stuff in the trash bin too. It is much more fun to skate than jerk around cleaning bearings.

You wanna spend a hundred bucks on bearings and spend your time cleaning them? Hey...if you LIKE doing it, great. If you LOATHE it, do what I do. Purchase cheap bearings, lube 'em up, skate 'em, toss 'em.

BTW...I skate about 2000 miles a year OUTDOORS according to my GPS. So far after two years I have thrown away ZERO bearings and cleaned ZERO bearings. Just add a drop of Speed Cream every three months or so. They will sound noisy for a few minutes, then quiet right down as the dirt gets pushed away from the balls. After one skate session at the most they will quiet down. If not, toss and replace. Skate on!

Here are a couple of long videos I made on this subject.

How To Waterproof Your Longboard (or Skate) Bearings - Part 1

Waterproof Your Longboard (or Skate) Bearings - Part 2
Old December 21st, 2016, 09:42 AM   #8
Miss Behaved

Thanks for the video links! I like learning something new.
Miss Behaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 01:18 AM   #9
AZSHOT

For ancient bearings, I'm a believer in the right solvents for the right job. After trying everything from Hoppe's no. 9 to CLP Breakfree to Denatured alcohol, I decided to try the old shop standby, kerosene.

30 minutes soaking in a baby food jar with kerosene, and my 30 year old Genberco's and my gunked up 30 year old Hartfords came out like new. Dry with a paper towel, then put a few drops of you favorite lube. No picking caked grease with a q-tip or toothpic, it just melts the hard grease away. Now for new bearings, I wouldn't think you need to do much at all. But classic American bearings are almost indestructible. Fafnirs seem about the same as Genbearco, by the way.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #10
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
For ancient bearings, I'm a believer in the right solvents for the right job. After trying everything from Hoppe's no. 9 to CLP Breakfree to Denatured alcohol, I decided to try the old shop standby, kerosene.

30 minutes soaking in a baby food jar with kerosene, and my 30 year old Genberco's and my gunked up 30 year old Hartfords came out like new. Dry with a paper towel, then put a few drops of you favorite lube. No picking caked grease with a q-tip or toothpic, it just melts the hard grease away. Now for new bearings, I wouldn't think you need to do much at all. But classic American bearings are almost indestructible. Fafnirs seem about the same as Genbearco, by the way.
Agreed, anything, even coke a cola, but before installing, use some 92 % isopropyl alcohol, for a rinse, then air dry with out spinning, then lube.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 03:13 AM   #11
slowsk8

Quote:
WD40 is about the worst item you can use for your wheel- reason WD40 contains a lot of water. Not good for bearings!! !!
I don't know where you got that idea. In fact WD40 was made to push out water. The WD stands for "water displacement" the 40 was how many tries it took them to get it right.
I would not use it for a lube in bearing, but if you skate in the rain or wet trails, soaking the bearings with WD as soon as you stop can save them from rust. Clean and dry well when you get home.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 11:44 PM   #12
Vadim

WD-40 sure doesn't contain any water.

WD-40 forms an emulsion with water after you apply it to something wet. So, the water is still there, but in a less agressive form.

So, after applying WD-40 to wet bearings, you still need to a) dry them b) lube them.
Vadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 07:37 PM   #13
Sir Dutch

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
For years, I just pour WD40 into an ultrasound and use that to clean the bearings.
I don't use WD-40 on any thing since I found out that a great percentage of the product is water!! After paying a hefty price for my current bearings. I wanted a product that would clean, lub my bearings. After searching around i stopped at a bike shop that specializes in touring bikes, and racing bikes. Bought there product and it cleans the bearings--just wipe them down. keeps my bearing well oiled. At this moment in time I wouldn't use any other products.
Sir Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 12:37 AM   #14
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
I don't use WD-40 on any thing since I found out that a great percentage of the product is water!!
That is a myth.

WD-40 literally means Water Displacement formula 40.

It contains petroleum distillates, such as pail oil. Its a fantastic cleaner but is not a lubricant.

A good cleaning method is wd40 bath in an ultrasonic, then isopropyl alcohol rinse bath, hair dryer /quick shot of compressed air, lube em.
Old January 21st, 2017, 08:26 PM   #15
goraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little View Post
I'm sure he is confusing oil with grease.
You really can't pack a bearing in to much oil.
And if you did it would find it's way out in a lap or two around the rink and a quick wipe down with an alcohol cloth would do the trick.

Are the bearings permanently sealed or can you remove the shields?
The shield may be able to be picked off with the edge of a razor blade,pick tool or it may have a compression type "C" ring you can remove with a pick tool.
You can blast most the grease out with Brake spray ( WARE SAFETY GLASSES ) Then add a tiny bit of EP grease and couple drops of good Synthetic oil. Skate them in for a couple of hours.
Don't worry about free roll, the number of minutes a wheel will spin with no load applied means nothing to anyone over the age of 10.

THERE IS NO WATER IN WD40!
goraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM   #16
g29guy

Default my process

Use a toothbrush and dish soap with hot water. Scrub rinse repeat. Keep cleaning tooth brush as it collects grease on the bristles.
If you have a Dremel tool, use a polish pad and push the tip against the bearing center to spin the bearings in between scrubbing on lowest speed.
After final rinse, spin bearings and blow dry or put in oven on low spinning them every 5 min until dry.
lube and skate