S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old July 26th, 2016, 03:47 AM   #1
alea iacta est

Default Finding very little info on Oxygen XE 3.1 -- thoughts?

Hi all! I've always enjoyed visiting the local skate rink, but have recently become interested in improving my skills a little more. This is largely inspired by an inline skate group in a city that I'll be moving to soon, so I was hoping to build some basic skills before I move. Unfortunately, the rental skates at the rink aren't the best, and I'd also like the opportunity to practice outside as well (and closer to home). I found a pair of Oxygen XE 3.1 available at a good price (considering I might not travel with them), but have only found about 2 comments about them online that weren't just eBay posts. It seems that they were sold around 1998-2000 but I couldn't glean much more than that. Anyone have any experience with them? I'm interested in their functionality as a basic skate for going around the neighborhood and improving skills like skating backward, etc. (nothing too fancy). Any input would be appreciated!
alea iacta est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #2
TimeZone3

I had some Oxygen XE series skates (XE 01 I think, or maybe XE 02, so probably a precursor to the skates you're looking at) way back in the mid 90s. I really liked them! As long as they are in decent condition, I think they'd be fine basic skates for playing around with (not meant to be your long-term skates). You will certainly be giving up some things with them - being old, they probably have relatively small wheels (<80mm) so probably won't be as fast as something modern. The Oxygen skates also tended to be one-piece molded boots plus frame, so there's no lateral adjustment (but you're not guaranteed to get that on a modern skate either). If the brake is toast, you will probably not be able to find replacement parts for it (nor any aftermarket mounts). If the wheels are worn (since they are used skates) I would probably pass on them, as it will be more to get new wheels than the skates themselves will probably cost you. Those are all things I'd consider when buying any used skates, not just these O2s.

Things I really liked about my old O2s: the fastening system was very quick to get in and out of (no laces, three buckles instead); the power braking system worked well; the boot was stiff and light (for its time - modern boots are probably lighter still).

I got rid of the skates when the brake was worn out and I was unable to remove it for replacement. Dunno if they cross-threaded that bolt, or used the permanent threadlock on it or what, but that bolt was not coming out whatsoever.

TZ
TimeZone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #3
alea iacta est

Hi TZ, thanks so much for your reply -- very helpful!
alea iacta est is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner skates, oxygen xe 3.1, used skates