S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old August 21st, 2016, 05:24 PM   #41
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Coming into this thread a bit late.

Your bearings likely need "speed rings" and "spacers". Some skateboard/longboard bearing manufacturers build then into the bearings but I have not seen this for inline skates. Quad skates with skateboard wheels/hubs could use skateboard bearings. Speed rings - one on each side of the wheel - prevents the truck hanger and the nut from touching the bearings. Spacers allow you to fully tighten down the axle nuts without effing up the bearings or putting side-load between the bearings and races which increases friction - which slows you down.

Photo on left shows all the parts you should have for one wheel. Photo on right shows how skateboard bearings have all of those things built into them. Usually the bearings are not interchangeable but I do know some people who run longboard wheels on quads just fine.

Old August 21st, 2016, 05:31 PM   #42
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

As for the rough, uneven sidewalks...this sort of skating improves your balance immensely. Unless you are falling down a lot, keep at it. Also, this is where full fingered bike gloves and wrist guards come in handy.

And I hate to be THAT guy but inline skates handle the real world so much better than quads. Inlines have their own issues for sure but once you have a pair dialed-in and broken-in you can fly over an amazing amount of bad surfaces. Quads are awesome for rinks and groomed surfaces in parks or fitness paths, as you have already learned.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 09:58 PM   #43
Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
As for the rough, uneven sidewalks...this sort of skating improves your balance immensely. Unless you are falling down a lot, keep at it. Also, this is where full fingered bike gloves and wrist guards come in handy.

And I hate to be THAT guy but inline skates handle the real world so much better than quads. Inlines have their own issues for sure but once you have a pair dialed-in and broken-in you can fly over an amazing amount of bad surfaces. Quads are awesome for rinks and groomed surfaces in parks or fitness paths, as you have already learned.
Yeah I'm hearing ya. Never was into inlines. When I first started skating I had Ventro Pro Turbo's and I found the boot big and cumbersome. I only have skinny legs lol. I find most inline skates that way too. Bulky. I also tried a pair a few years ago and could skate in them. I just prefer the quad overall.
The spacer thing. Yep, I have them on one of my skates and they do seem faster but they don't fit in the wheels I'm using at the moment. I need shorter ones. I'm going skate shop tomorrow to get my new plates put on. I'll grab some. Thanks for that Joey 👍

Real life Tazmanian Devil 💥💨
Little is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 09:25 PM   #44
Little

Default Finally

My skates are now perfect. Got the spacers in the wheels now too and I couldn't be happier with them. I actually have nothing to complain about anymore!
[IMG][/IMG]

Old August 24th, 2016, 09:26 PM   #45
Little

Hold on. I lied. Can you get smaller as in thinner wheel nuts? Mine are still barely on. On. But just.

Old August 24th, 2016, 10:33 PM   #46
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little View Post
Hold on. I lied. Can you get smaller as in thinner wheel nuts? Mine are still barely on. On. But just.
Remove the spacers and see if the nuts fit then. If not, i have no answer. If so, spacers are too wide. Strange problem. Don't skate unless the locking nuts work properly.

Keep us posted.
Old August 24th, 2016, 10:37 PM   #47
Little

Quote:
Remove the spacers and see if the nuts fit then. If not, i have no answer. If so, spacers are too wide. Strange problem. Don't skate unless the locking nuts work properly.

Keep us posted.
Hey Joey. No its deffo not the spacers. They sit the same withour them in. I think it's just these particular wheels. The dip in them is quite small so not alot of "nut space " Lol left. The krypto sit well. I might have to go back to them. Tut.

Old August 24th, 2016, 10:39 PM   #48
Little

The wheels are on. The nuts are on. I can't turn them by any means with my fingers. Just kinda flush with the end of the axel

Old August 25th, 2016, 01:04 AM   #49
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
The wheels are on. The nuts are on. I can't turn them by any means with my fingers. Just kinda flush with the end of the axel
That sounds OK. So long as the Nyloc insert on the nut is fully engaged on the axle threads, you are golden. Axle flush with nut is fine. Do the wheels turn then?
Old August 25th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #50
Little

Quote:
That sounds OK. So long as the Nyloc insert on the nut is fully engaged on the axle threads, you are golden. Axle flush with nut is fine. Do the wheels turn then?
Yes, perfectly.

Old August 25th, 2016, 02:16 AM   #51
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Yes, perfectly.
Yay! Go skate!
Old August 25th, 2016, 09:18 AM   #52
Little

Quote:
Yay! Go skate!
Woop! I'm off.......

Old August 26th, 2016, 05:00 PM   #53
Gee

Quote:
Lol I'm not really one for rink skating. All those people and all those left turns (assuming your going in that direction!) I love the freedom of just going wherever or going where I need to go but on my skates. Or just getting out if I'm bored. I NEED to skate the streets.
Enjoy your street skating. I would not dare practice during an open session at a rink. There are too many distractions. There is an Olympic rink size room with wooden floor in a near by university that I use on the weekends. For outdoor skating, the only nice smooth and level surface available is a basketball court and a tennis court. I use them early in the morning or late at night when it is not occupied.

Glad to read your wheel issue was resolved. I use thin spacers to prevent the truck from pressing against the bearings. I also use them to prevent the nut or the nut socket from pressing against the bearing shield. Something, the spacer may come with the lock nut. The spacers I use are also designed to work with a bearing that does not have a shield.

(Click on thumbnail for full size image)
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 06:42 PM   #54
Armadillo

You can also go with 100% nylon axle nuts that start to grip after less threads engage and can still have more threads gripping even though they may protrude a bit beyond the ends of axles. However, I have only seen them offered in the 8mm axle thread size.

I make my own in both the 7mm & the 8mm sizes, and I love them.

-Armadillo
Old August 28th, 2016, 01:15 PM   #55
Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Enjoy your street skating. I would not dare practice during an open session at a rink. There are too many distractions. There is an Olympic rink size room with wooden floor in a near by university that I use on the weekends. For outdoor skating, the only nice smooth and level surface available is a basketball court and a tennis court. I use them early in the morning or late at night when it is not occupied.

Glad to read your wheel issue was resolved. I use thin spacers to prevent the truck from pressing against the bearings. I also use them to prevent the nut or the nut socket from pressing against the bearing shield. Something, the spacer may come with the lock nut. The spacers I use are also designed to work with a bearing that does not have a shield.

Thanks Gee. I have never seen those things before. The washer and nut yes but that other thing. Where on the wheel does it sit?

Old August 28th, 2016, 01:16 PM   #56
Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
You can also go with 100% nylon axle nuts that start to grip after less threads engage and can still have more threads gripping even though they may protrude a bit beyond the ends of axles. However, I have only seen them offered in the 8mm axle thread size.

I make my own in both the 7mm & the 8mm sizes, and I love them.

-Armadillo
So what.... you can't make me none nah? 😂😂😂😂😂

Old August 30th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #57
Gee

Quote:
Thanks Gee. I have never seen those things before. The washer and nut yes but that other thing. Where on the wheel does it sit?
The image I post before has Atlas dust caps, lock nut and dust cap with an integrated lock nut. I like to use the Atlas dust cover on the side of the wheel toward the end of the axle and I like to use the Rannalli dust caps on the side of the wheel against the truck. The Rannalli dust caps made of thick steel, they work well as a dust cap with integrated thin spacer. Dust caps were popular before bearings were made with circlip and removable cap. I still prefer using dust caps to removing and setting a circlip.

Rannalli rear dust cap

Atlas plates with Atlas and Rannalli dust caps

Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2016, 11:12 PM   #58
Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
The image I post before has Atlas dust caps, lock nut and dust cap with an integrated lock nut. I like to use the Atlas dust cover on the side of the wheel toward the end of the axle and I like to use the Rannalli dust caps on the side of the wheel against the truck. The Rannalli dust caps made of thick steel, they work well as a dust cap with integrated thin spacer. Dust caps were popular before bearings were made with circlip and removable cap. I still prefer using dust caps to removing and setting a circlip.

Rannalli rear dust cap

Atlas plates with Atlas and Rannalli dust caps

Ok. Got it. I bought some nuts with these protectors on them. They seem to be working well. Thanks Gee 👍