S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old July 10th, 2016, 06:40 PM   #1
Little

Default Pavement/sidewalks.. :(

I just can't skate on them. Is it me? Is it my wheels? It's really annoying. If it's new level slabs then I'm fine, but the old ones with dips and bumps all over the place I find so difficult and slow me down to almost a walk. I went to a new park today. I struggled and stumbled all the way there and back. At the park I was flying around perfectly but I have no intention to stay in the parks, only using them for practice at the minute. What to do?
Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #2
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little View Post
I just can't skate on them. Is it me? Is it my wheels? It's really annoying. If it's new level slabs then I'm fine, but the old ones with dips and bumps all over the place I find so difficult and slow me down to almost a walk. I went to a new park today. I struggled and stumbled all the way there and back. At the park I was flying around perfectly but I have no intention to stay in the parks, only using them for practice at the minute. What to do?
Go to the rink and dance your.........uh.....toes into a wild frenzie.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 11:07 PM   #3
Little

Lol I'm not really one for rink skating. All those people and all those left turns (assuming your going in that direction!) I love the freedom of just going wherever or going where I need to go but on my skates. Or just getting out if I'm bored. I NEED to skate the streets.
Old July 11th, 2016, 09:28 AM   #4
WJCIV

It depends how bad the sidewalks are. Bigger wheels definitely help, and softer ones help to an extent. A longer wheelbase or placing the wheels around your center of balance helps. Also, going faster helps.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Little

Thing is, I don't know that a bigger wheels would fit? The wheel nut is right to the end on the wjeels i have kn now. I wonder if thats because theyre not hubbed? Would that make a difference? Everywhere else absolutely fine with these wheels. Going faster I did wonder about but I find it so much effort. I wonder if it's a matter of building up strength also. I'm only Little and its hard lol.
Old July 11th, 2016, 11:28 AM   #6
Little

Tried to insert an image of my wheel nuts but getting nowhere lol
Old July 11th, 2016, 11:30 AM   #7
Little

[IMG][/IMG]
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:06 PM   #8
WJCIV

By bigger I mean taller, which is different from wider. However, there is a maximum size that will fit. When you turn the suspension allows the boot to tilt while the wheels remain on the ground. If your wheels are too big and you tilt to much you get "boot bite" because your boot will rub against the wheels.

Those are pretty big wheels. You might be able to fit something bigger. I'd try going faster first. If you have enough momentum your wheels don't dip into cracks and stop. You can also look ahead and step over the more problematic areas.

Old July 11th, 2016, 12:14 PM   #9
TimeZone3

It's counter-intuitive, but WJCIV's right, a little bit more speed can sometimes help. The other big thing to remember is: soft knees, hips, and core! You want to use your whole body as a shock compressor. If you try to rely on just your skates and ankles, the rest of your body will get thrown around for sure.

TZ
TimeZone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:16 PM   #10
Little

I think your right. It's a momentum thing. But honestly I struggle to get momentum in the first place lol. OK, putting them on as we speak. Gonna go try again before the rain starts. Thanks fella, your a great help
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:17 PM   #11
Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeZone3 View Post
It's counter-intuitive, but WJCIV's right, a little bit more speed can sometimes help. The other big thing to remember is: soft knees, hips, and core! You want to use your whole body as a shock compressor. If you try to rely on just your skates and ankles, the rest of your body will get thrown around for sure.

TZ
Thanks TZ, this all helps. I'm about to go out now and try again. Will update. Thank you
Old July 11th, 2016, 12:57 PM   #12
Little

God damn the weather. Put em on, went to the front door and I kid you not, the sun said "ner ner ner ner neeer" and down came the rain. Aaaarrrggg
Old July 11th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #13
WJCIV

With regards to problems building momentum, I wonder about how freely your wheels spin. If you pick up a skate in your hand and spin a wheel, how long does it go? If you aren't using greased bearings they should spin for tens of seconds easily.

With hubless wheels spacers are advisable, but those ones are big enough that I don't know they would be required.

Old July 11th, 2016, 03:36 PM   #14
Little

They spin for 5 seconds. If I loosen them they rattle slightly also the wheel nut would be closer to the end than already is. If you can see my pic. Is it ok if they are that loose? Also I'm not 100% on the grease bearing thing. I thought all bearings had grease 🙈
Old July 11th, 2016, 04:04 PM   #15
Little

Also. There's a metal washer between the inside of the wheel and the axle. Does it need to be there? I'm not 100%if it came on these skates or if I put it there as they were on the old skates with these wheels
Old July 11th, 2016, 05:25 PM   #16
Little

Loosened the wheels and went out quickly. It certainly has made some difference. I found it that bit easier to skate on the rougher parts and pavements. But.... lol.. I still feel I'm making too much effort or again maybe it's just where my legs need to build up a resistance. Curious as to whether taking this washer off will help at all.
Old July 12th, 2016, 09:39 AM   #17
WJCIV

Quote:
They spin for 5 seconds. If I loosen them they rattle slightly also the wheel nut would be closer to the end than already is.
I little bit of free play is just fine. The trick is to tighten the nuts to give as little free play as possible without slowing down the bearings at all. If you look closely as the nut you will see there is a little nylon ring. This ring must be entirely on the axle. It's preferably if the rest of the nut is as well, but you may be able to get away with a little less. I've been known to flip nuts around and put the nylon side on first in certain circumstances, but others will tell you that's a bad idea.

The washer may or may not be necessary. It depends on your trucks.

Quote:
I thought all bearings had grease 🙈
Bearings are lubed with grease (solid) or oil (liquid). Grease slows down a bearing during the free spin test - when you spin a wheel/bearing with no weight on it. However, once you add pressure/heat there is very little difference.

Old July 12th, 2016, 11:35 AM   #18
Little

Thank you. Ok. So the nuts as they are in my pic are fine? They are more or less the same since loosen as I only had to loosen not even half a turn or about that at most. They feel alot more "rolly" Lol under my feet now but I guess that's the idea right?
Old July 12th, 2016, 11:42 AM   #19
Little

Is there any way of posting a video on here? Maybe if I could show you instead of you reading it. I feel like a total pain with all these questions but I need my skates to be right and know no-one that knows a thing about them.
Old July 12th, 2016, 12:13 PM   #20
Little

[IMG][/IMG]