S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old January 8th, 2016, 04:54 PM   #41
SueSkate

Again, thanks for all the great advice!
After reading some of your posts, I hope that I am practicing backwards skating using a proper technique. My position is slightly bent at the knees, usually looking over my right shoulder. I am pushing my feet side to side, gliding and not lifting the skates off of the floor. Am am using a sort of figure "S" pattern with my foot during the stride. I am finding myself using a chris/cross pattern when going around turns. I am not lifting my skate off the floor while doing the chris/cross. I have the urge to try cross overs around turns but am not confident enough yet to actually do it.
I hope I am not falling (no pun intended) into bad backwards habits. Also, great advice about my and Hubby's arm support. I have gone from hanging on for dear life to now barely touching his fingertips. Just knowing he is there makes me feel better.
I am from the mid-Atlantic region. And I now believe that Mort is correct.... Fakey is a term used in snowboarding refering to an unnatural stance on the board.
SueSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 10:37 PM   #42
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Ill try to make a video for ya today for backwards skating. well us clowns at the rink get going pretty crazy through the session traffic, ill try to record it if the good skaters are there.

Id guess fakey can or does apply to all boarding types. Be it longboard skateboard or snowboard. Surfing too?lol
Old January 8th, 2016, 11:45 PM   #43
ursle
Street Skater

In boardsports, fakie is riding backwards with the tail facing in the direction of travel. When used in conjunction with a trick name, like "fakie ollie", it means that the trick was performed as it would normally be done with the exception of riding backwards.

Yes, keep both feet down, better balance, yes bend the knees, but also drop the hips, get the feet as far apart in all directions as possible, skating in the center (of the rink) doing small figure 8's and getting used to a more natural head position will improve your balance, and not caring what others think as you get your balance will go a long way in self confidence, just have fun.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 03:13 AM   #44
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Research on SLF; Back Stepping

Hi,

Thought about this and said what the heck. Since you are here learning why not.

Rexing Research; This is a West Coast term for backwards skating and sometimes cleverly. We have at least a few videos, and one of them I remember showed a pretty good couple doing fancy stuff backwards. Mort and I from what I remembered commented on one of the Rexing treads.

Look it up and enjoy.

Back Stepping: Now I have told you how your hubby is supposed to support you, YET Not hold your hands. So that is phase1. Back stepping is my term for going backwards crossing your skates to either side. You can actually on skates go pretty far out before planting the other skate. Kind of fun..

Yet start slowly one skate behind the other and keep on going. When I learned this I went by the wall cause I had no support person and did only one leg for awhile before I could get in the other leg. I was afraid of falling. At Skateland in Bradford MA I had the advantage of skating with a guy who could do this effortlessly and fast and heck backwards. SO I wanted to learn it and DID.

So at your Rink be the first one to Back Step skating backwards.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old January 10th, 2016, 03:31 AM   #45
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Comments Back, Mid Atlantic Skate Jams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueSkate View Post
Again, thanks for all the great advice!
After reading some of your posts, I hope that I am practicing backwards skating using a proper technique. My position is slightly bent at the knees, usually looking over my right shoulder. I am pushing my feet side to side, gliding and not lifting the skates off of the floor. o - o .
Sounds OK

Quote:
o - o I am finding myself using a chris/cross pattern when going around turns. I am not lifting my skate off the floor while doing the chris/cross. I have the urge to try cross overs around turns but am not confident enough yet to actually do it. o - o
You should do the cross under or under push around turns. One of the ways to learn this is to spend time in the inner circles and do them over and over again. When you change direction in skating you use the other foot to push you through the turn. BTW it is fun to do other stuff around the turns, like you are doing yet you will have to get up the courage "Ms Lion" from Wizard of Oz.

Quote:
o - o I hope I am not falling (no pun intended) into bad backwards habits. Also, great advice about my and Hubby's arm support. I have gone from hanging on for dear life to now barely touching his fingertips. Just knowing he is there makes me feel better..
Yep that's the technique. You can not believe how many skaters I have told to learn that way and still they hang on for dear life. Even have told parents with their kids. It just RETARDs your ability to go it alone..

Quote:
o - o I am from the mid-Atlantic region. And I now believe that Mort is correct....o - o
Two things to look for in the MidAtlantic. Organ Skates Jams at Holiday Skate Place in NJ, another over in Reading, PA. If you see some of the old videos I am there Side Surfing. And then they have a skate jam out of Staten Island that sometimes involves South Amboy, NJ. Mort has been to the Staten Island one, yet not me YET.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; January 10th, 2016 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Comments Back, Mid Atlantic Skate Jams
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 03:02 PM   #46
Derrick

Default cross rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi,

Thought about this and said what the heck. Since you are here learning why not.

Back Stepping: Now I have told you how your hubby is supposed to support you, YET Not hold your hands. So that is phase1. Back stepping is my term for going backwards crossing your skates to either side. You can actually on skates go pretty far out before planting the other skate. Kind of fun..

So at your Rink be the first one to Back Step skating backwards.

Dave,
We are way outside the lines for beginner backwards. But, oh well.

The round the corner cross, where there is 8 on the floor and one foot crosses behind the other, is called a cross-pull. You can generate A LOT of speed from this.

The above sounds like a cross-roll. You can gain speed on this but not as much as a cros-pull. It's awesomely waltzy, I LOVE this move. But it is best to understand your edges before attempting, as it requires a change of edge after each step.

There is a video posted by ol Larry-O a long time ago. I'll try to lookup the link. I can't during my edit (previously posted ipad issue).

Well here it is on ice skates same-same. http://youtu.be/5whiBaTfBq4
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 12:38 AM   #47
SueSkate

Quote:
Two things to look for in the MidAtlantic. Organ Skates Jams at Holiday Skate Place in NJ, another over in Reading, PA.
I know that skating rink in Reading, Pa. Skated there some years back; nice place. I will look up their schedule for organ music....sounds like fun!

Did my backwards skate on Tuesday night. I'm starting to add a little shuffle. I'm more comfortable and not so stiff in my stance. Hubby is still following me but we are only touching fingers and not continuously.
Old January 20th, 2016, 02:48 AM   #48
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Yep Derrick that is IT Cross Pull = Back Stepping

Yep Derrick,

Thanks for the terminology from Art Skating.
Hope I will remember it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Dave,
We are way outside the lines for beginner backwards. But, oh well. o - o
The round the corner cross, where there is 8 on the floor and one foot crosses behind the other, is called a cross-pull. You can generate A LOT of speed from this. o - o Well here it is on ice skates same-same. http://youtu.be/5whiBaTfBq4
That is the move I would like her to give it a go. I mean she has a coach(husband). It really isn't that hard to learn, at least I don't think so after you first learn it. AND she would be a STar..

I always found it funny that you can move that back leg out so dang far before planting it AND Never lose balance. You can also do it mini by keeping the cross not so far out, and then pick up some more speed. Mini back stepping looks and feels kind of neat. And easier than the forward Back Across, Sorry can't find any youtubes of that move

Right now I only know 2 male skaters plus me (=3) that do this for fun. The kids do not seem to want to learn this move; although I do it during backwards skates.

Old January 20th, 2016, 11:09 AM   #49
SueSkate

Okay, I now feel like I want to try crossing my feet around turns (backwards skating). However, I'm not sure of the technique. I have been watching other advanced backwards skaters around turns but they are so fast I can't quite put the moves together. Also, I don't have that natural cross movement going backwards as one would have crossing forward. What foot crosses what while backwards around turns?
Old January 20th, 2016, 11:57 AM   #50
Derrick

Quote:
Okay, I now feel like I want to try crossing my feet around turns (backwards skating). However, I'm not sure of the technique. I have been watching other advanced backwards skaters around turns but they are so fast I can't quite put the moves together. Also, I don't have that natural cross movement going backwards as one would have crossing forward. What foot crosses what while backwards around turns?
When you are going forward you are probably doing a crossover. Although you can do this in reverse it seems more natural to do a crosspull.

To do this in the regular skating direction start travelng backwards. Now, your right foot will be on the inseide of the rink. Slide (don't pick it up yet) your right foot behind, yes way behind your left. Now pick it up and place it back to the side of your left. Repeat until you are around the corner. Your left foot should be well bent. This is a very high power move, you can really get going if you dare.

I couldn't find a rollerskating video I liked on this but here is Mr. Hockey doing it on ice.

http://youtu.be/kI-c_Oj0qhE
Old January 20th, 2016, 03:21 PM   #51
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

The above video is pretty good. If you look at the stride he is taking the crossovers are left over right, where forward crossovers are right over left. Try walking sideways in both directions, or doing the karaoke move with your feet off skates, remember skating is all about lateral movements and coordination.

And yea, if your good and smooth at that skill shown in the video, you can be just as fast backwards as you can forwards .
Old January 20th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #52
SueSkate

Thanks for that video! "reach & pull" is exactly the instruction I was looking for. I can see in the video that he is generating a lot of power and speed. I will have to work my way up to this....slowly...

Will try this move on Friday evening if we don't get snowed in
Old January 21st, 2016, 03:33 AM   #53
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Circles YES

Hi Sue,

Notice how the hockey guy went around the circles. Use the Art Circles in the middle of YOUR rink. Sometimes there are three, and you pick the one furthest from skating traffic. Just do it slowly at first, if you miss a bit it is OK. And you can do mini "mama do I have to" cross backs.

It is important that you keep going on the circle to learn it the fastest. Eventually you will be going around and around doing the backwards cross or cross pull and picking up the distance you can cross and some speed.

Then switch directions so you learn it when they do a Reverse Skate and do the backwards cross in the other direction.

DO NOT look at your feet. Do NOT use your husband for support.

Rexing or Just plain Backwards couples. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta_LKou9en4

OK Found one of them.

BTW, The closer you are to DC the more you will be hammered. The band looks to miss Reading, PA which might get a few to 6 inches. I will only have 3 come Saturday

Edit-01: OK Here is one I went to in Reading, PA. Pulled people from hours away to days like me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS9MmzwmTAw
Yes I am in this video by Sail the Captain. I am the short guy with Cargo Shorts, a White Shirt, Wrist Guards and maybe they show me Side Surfing

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; January 21st, 2016 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Reading, PA / me
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 11:40 AM   #54
SueSkate

Quote:
Relaxing or Just plain Backwards couples.
OMgosh.....Those folks in the video are soooo good! I can only hope some day I can be that good. I think the thing that inspires me the most (when watching the video) is the totally relaxed position of their bodies. They make it look effortless with smiles on their faces. Being here on the forum with other skaters, we all know that joy we feel when gliding on wheels on hardwood!

Last edited by SueSkate; January 21st, 2016 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Add quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #55
SueSkate

I wish I could say that I have progressed since my last post. Truth be known, I am still fearful and still use Hubby as a guide.
I do skate every backwards skate session. But I still have that underlying fear. Perhaps that fear is something I will never overcome and actually, the fear might be a good thing. It keeps me from being reckless. So now I have accepted that only time and practice will make a good backwards skater.
A little off topic here......
Hubby and I have started skating couples skate. We look pretty good out on the floor. Right now we are just holding hands and mimicking footwork(both skating forward). Me, skating backwards and him facing forward, we are taking more of a waltz stance. It looks surprisingly beautiful. Just wish we could get some appropriate waltz music!
Old March 17th, 2016, 01:22 AM   #56
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
I wish I could say that I have progressed since my last post. Truth be known, I am still fearful and still use Hubby as a guide.
I do skate every backwards skate session. But I still have that underlying fear. Perhaps that fear is something I will never overcome and actually, the fear might be a good thing. It keeps me from being reckless. So now I have accepted that only time and practice will make a good backwards skater.
A little off topic here......
Hubby and I have started skating couples skate. We look pretty good out on the floor. Right now we are just holding hands and mimicking footwork(both skating forward). Me, skating backwards and him facing forward, we are taking more of a waltz stance. It looks surprisingly beautiful. Just wish we could get some appropriate waltz music!
Earphones, discretely, for the beat you wish.

Tuck your pelvis, drop your hips (get your feet out from under you) and keep skating backwards, every minute makes you more comfortable and gives you better balance.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:45 AM   #57
Derrick

Quote:
!
Kerp going, if your like me advancement comes in spurts. I struggle with fear as well. But what your afraid of changes. A year ago I was afraid to do a half rotation jump (this is a baby jump for true art skaters). Now I'm trying to work up the nerve to do a full rotation. So the fear will prolly always be there but you wont always be afraid of going backwards.

Just keep going it's so much fun.
Old March 17th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #58
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I have been working with a local guy who is an aspiring derby skater. He is out there to learn to skate, not just play derby. He skates A LOT. And im talking 5 to 6 days a week, 3 hours a day at least if not more. He practices a lot of transitions, both ways(left/right rotations) , forwards and backwards. His skill has progressed tremendously in the last 6 months.

We skate backwards chasing each other around the rink in pretty close quarters. Always trying to build agility, speed, precise control. THIS is where you need to be. At what ever level you are at, challenge yourself. Just make sure you have a "safe place" to go to in a time of need. Such as a tomahawk stop, (backwards skating to double toe stop ) or a very st4ong backwards to forwards transition and a spin/hockey/plow stop.

Ya know tho, whqt I learned last night at practice and session is my friend does not know how to plow stop. I was floored. Did not believe it that such a skater couldnt do a plow... considering I taught him how to backwards hockey stop and backwards plow stop recently, which to me takes more skill to perform. I always figured he knew already and since he could hockey stop he never did it.

Never sell yourself short. There are a lot of mediocre skaters and even newbies on our junior team that would make our coach look embarrassing when it came to a plow stopping! So just because you see a great skater, does not mean that they are as good as you may think they are. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, all you can do is work on them.

Work those transitions, edges, pivots, etc so you have 0 doubts about getting turned around and out of the currently intimidating backwards skating. I spend a lot of my time these days trying to flip back and forth randomly on either foot, either rotation to be ready for any instance that might happen while skating.

Check out a lot of hockey skating videos. Slalom skating videos on inlines will show a lot on how they edge, and how you will want to try to use your quad skate to do similar cuts. They arent exactly the same, but an inline skate really shows the type of edging going on because they lean so much, where its harder to see on a roller skate, as they dont lean over as much anf the side by side wheel setup doesn't give away an angle as well.

Learning slalom skating will help your edging and footwork skills tremendously. Maybe video yourself and get to see what your doing vs what you think your doing.
Old March 17th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #59
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
...I am terrified to try again....to continue to attempt backwards skating...
Careful...your hard-earned wisdom and sense of mortality is showing.

Your caution/fear is a normal result of years piling on. This is why teenage motorists pay more for car insurance than MATURE people with well developed COMMON SENSE.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Just do what you enjoy and every once in a while turn backwards for a minute. Eventually that minute will turn into more minutes. Maybe. Just keep it enjoyable and don't let something you love cause you stress. And don't skate backwards UNTIL you fall. Bad reinforcement. Skate for a minute and quit until you get some confidence back.

Once you get over the raw fear...

Pad up - elbows, wrists, head. Maybe even butt (hockey pants). I mean...if you KNOW you are shaky and going to fall I think it kinda foolish to just take your lumps and hope for the best. Fear of getting HURT is why you fear skating backward, at least in part, correct?

Maybe find a quiet place to practice? Some space without other skaters around and preferably other people too. I like empty parking lots. I skate backwards through the painted parking spaces in a giant "S" shape trying not to touch the painted lines with my wheels. Go as slow or as fast as you like.
Old December 15th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #60
Sir Dutch

Smile Sir Dutch

Quote:
Hello all fellow skaters. I have returned to quad skating at a local rink. It has been almost thirty years since I have skated. In my prime, I was a good skater. Not great, but good. I picked it up again just like riding a bike. All the basics came back easily. Here's my question. Why do I have such a fear of skating backwards? I am able to do it and yes, I have fallen (part of skating), but since the last minor fall, I am terrified to try again. Is it simply my age and maturity after thirty years that tells me to not do it?
Also, what advice can you give me as a confidence builder to continue to attempt backwards skating?
I have the same problem. I'm blind in my left eye. It seems that every time I skate backwards a kid falls so that I can't see them and I end of going "boom"
I'm known at my local rink and know the "tiny" bobber floor guards---- so they Kinda protect me rear for me now!!
Sir Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote