S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old March 25th, 2015, 04:58 AM   #1
FRGL1

Default Need an extreme solution to sweaty skates

My skate sessions involve wearing my skates constantly for hours at a time. I glide through whatever stores and restaurants allow me to keep them on, and I skate out to parks and plazas to study or kill time. And this happens practically every day.

I try to space out my skate days, pull my liners out and leave them near a heat source when I'm not skating, but it's really inconvenient and my skates still stay moist and get smelly.

My ultimate solution is to have multiple liners that I can swap between as I do with my knee pads, but until then I'm stuck with this problem.

I've tried various combinations of baking soda, tawas powder (a filipino method), news paper stuffing, etc.

How do you guys keep your skates from getting smelly too quickly? Is there a magical spray I can buy? I had this idea for taking a cheap USB fan and letting it vent out my skates when I'm not using them.
FRGL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 10:25 AM   #2
Derrick

I use the desiccant bags that you find in packaging. Also for smell, a dryer sheet. Use the dryer sheet in the dryer first though, fabric softener molds easily, and an unused one adds moisture. I think there is a spray but make sure it's a dry one. I use regular scented lysol spray in my wrist guards because they mold quickly, but can be left to dry. My skates dry slow, so no moisture giving products.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 01:57 AM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I always shower before going skating and each time im done with the lufa/scrubbing poof/washcloth or w/e I throw it down and grind my feet into it to really put some pressure to them. I still wash them by hand in between my toes and stuff but that last step I feel really gets the excess crud off my feet. Basically my feet and socks are as clean and dry as possible before going skating. I always use fresh socks, even if they were only worn for 2-3 hours, they dont go in my skates.

Other things you can do

Change your socks more often, like in the middle of your session/skate time.
OR
Use a little thicker sock if you can, as long as everything is still comfortable. It will absorb a bit more before becoming "full" of your bodys waste(skin/sweat) When I wear my boots to work for a 12 hour shift my thicker socks work much better. The thin ones I have feel nasty after 1/2 the shift has gone by. They also tend to start to stink if I constantly use the thin socks. What this tells me is that they arent stopping the decaying skin from reaching the boot itself and allowing body funk to build up, which causes stench.

Use something like foot powder that has corn starch in it.

Spray your skates with lysol after use and make sure they have adequate ventilation so they dry faster.

A friend of mine actualy puts a bit of antipersperant/deodorant on the soles of his feet(along with some other problem areas he sweats profusely from). I think its weird, but it apparently keeps his feet from getting smelly.

Diet(what you eat not that you need to go on a "diet") can help
Old March 27th, 2015, 02:25 AM   #4
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

Sock technology has gotten better. There are socks designed to absorb sweat.
DeFeet WoolieBoolie Full Cushion Merino Wool Ankle Cycling Socks Work well. They have helped me, and I don't get blisters as fast, because my feet are drier.
Old March 27th, 2015, 06:34 AM   #5
FRGL1

Thanks guys. I'm going to try socks stuffed with desiccant since that seems more cost friendly (bake silica gel). I'll probably find some way to combine that with my USB fan vent idea to maximize the effect. I can also keep using that method after I get extra liners. Lysol might be a good idea after I get a third liner so the disinfectant has time to work.

Washing after skate sessions is a given for me, but sometimes I'm already out and about when I put my skates on.

If I get bored enough, I may experiment with mounting an actual fan on a set of boots I don't mind sacrificing to science. I'm a gadget freak

P.S. I've already started using the silica gel bags we have lying around the house. Four in each liner have allowed my boots to dry off somewhat overnight, which is something I never dreamed was possible. Still residual moisture in the morning, though, but not as wet as they used to be.
Old March 27th, 2015, 03:08 PM   #6
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRGL1 View Post
My skate sessions involve wearing my skates constantly for hours at a time. I glide through whatever stores and restaurants allow me to keep them on, and I skate out to parks and plazas to study or kill time. And this happens practically every day.

I try to space out my skate days, pull my liners out and leave them near a heat source when I'm not skating, but it's really inconvenient and my skates still stay moist and get smelly.

My ultimate solution is to have multiple liners that I can swap between as I do with my knee pads, but until then I'm stuck with this problem.

I've tried various combinations of baking soda, tawas powder (a filipino method), news paper stuffing, etc.

How do you guys keep your skates from getting smelly too quickly? Is there a magical spray I can buy? I had this idea for taking a cheap USB fan and letting it vent out my skates when I'm not using them.
To dry them you could just get boot driers made for skiers.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #7
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Kitty litter in a nylon stocking
Old March 27th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #8
WJCIV

Since you asked for an "extreme solution" - buy a new pair of skates. Every day.

Really, though, if you spend that much time on skates it wouldn't be unreasonable to have a second pair and swap them out every other day. That will give each one time to dry out, and if something should ever break down you have a backup ready to go so there isn't a major shift in your lifestyle for a week because, say, a frame cracked, and you can't get to the store for a new pair of skates for a few days.

People have already covered socks and desiccants. Someone at one of my rinks makes a little ball to stick into skates between wearings to keep them smelling fresher. I think it is some sort of borax mixture wrapped or double wrapped in pantyhose. Some sort of permeable membrane that allows things to pass through while still appearing to hold everything inside so you don't get a pile of powder in your skate. At my other rink they just liberally douse the skates with odor eaters. In both cases the skaters are using quads or speed inlines - nothing with the thicker style of liners you have in your boots.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #9
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
To dry them you could just get boot driers made for skiers.
I'd like to pile on to slowsk8's suggestion... get you boots dry by blowing in cool air.

Being the cheapskate that I am as well as a heavy sweater... when I go skiing/snowboarding I build myself a boot drier wherever I go rather than pack one.

Everywhere I go there is almost always a hairdryer provided. Using scotch tape and local newspaper I make what looks like a small pair of pants. I put the hairdryer nozzle in the 'waistband' and one leg into each boot top. Then I make sure the dryer is blowing unheated air.

Just having moving air dries my boots quickly.... which also means they stink less.
Old March 27th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #10
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
I'd like to pile on to slowsk8's suggestion... get you boots dry by blowing in cool air... Just having moving air dries my boots quickly.... which also means they stink less.
Or as simple as lying the boots down and using a small fan toward them.

I only skate once a week, so I just Febreeze them after session. And since the sock technology idea was mentioned - I use Wrightsock (yeah, everyone knew I was going to say that . They are double layer, moisture wicking and guaranteed to prevent blisters. Wrightsock info

oldspeedskater's DeFeet WoolieBoolie socks sound great, but the reviews say they are a warm sock. I would think the coolmax type helps lower the amount of sweat.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 09:04 AM   #11
FRGL1

I don't know any reliable brands for boot dryers. Any suggestions?

I'm seeing price ranges of $80 in varying configurations and they don't specifically say they're for ski boots but footwear in general.
Old March 30th, 2015, 11:40 AM   #12
bjvircks
Major Trouble

https://www.reliableracing.com/category.cfm?category=40

here are a few options. I don't see listed a couple of the popular 'cheap' ones.
Old March 30th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #13
ursle
Street Skater

With no power hot air might not work, watching the wife heatmold some liners yesterday, (uncooked rice in a sock heated in the microwave) makes me mention, like gotskates who suggested kitty litter, rice in a sock would absorbe moisture quickly, and if it were heated, more quickly.

When you drop electronics in water packing them in rice is the go-to fix.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 05:11 AM   #14
shesk8

Got introduced the this product during a weekend long derby championship - works like a charm for skates, shoes, pads, etc. Made from all natural organic essential oils including tea tree (known for its antimicrobial, anti fungal properties), eucalyptus, a hint of citrus in a base of witch hazel.

http://tinyurl.com/NOTORIOUSRED

We spritz in in all our skates. And, I agree to allow the skates to dry our between session as best possible. Living in dry climes has it's advantages. When I visit back east seems they never dry out between skates.
shesk8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 05:34 AM   #15
Bunny_Hop

Just jumping in to say, your skating life sounds awesome!

Sorry, I can't add much that people haven't suggested already. Definitely keep your skates somewhere well-ventilated. If you can do it, as someone said a second pair of skates and swapping days would not be too "extreme" an idea. In the long run it would not be more expensive, as each set of skates would wear down half as quickly.

I also think actual "real" dessicant bags (silica), if you can get them, are better than improvised solutions like rice, etc. I have a dehumidifier in my room, totally passive and unpowered, just silica balls, and it has filled up with moisture (I live in a subtropical-ish climate and keep it behind my books so they don't get damp/musty).

Hm, thinking about silica, I'm pretty sure some kitty litter is made of silica. I work in a store where we sell kitty litter and I'm sure I've seen that on the bags as I scan them. Definitely not a food-grade dessicant, but could be a cheap solution for skates.
Old April 14th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #16
FRGL1

Ive been using gardening grain dessicants and they dry my boots so well i only use them every other day to minimize the crystals that fall out from the socks. I dont even need to think about the dryer anymore. Thanks guys.
Old April 20th, 2015, 04:36 AM   #17
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default I Use Kitty Litter Pear Whites

Hi

Looks like you have a solution that works.

Back a long time ago on SLF we learned about this kitty litter stuff. I bought a Huge bag of the stuff. I use nylon socks, two per boot, tied so they fit in the boots and then change the kitty liter when it smells too bad.

Works fantastic.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:20 AM   #18
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Since you posted this, I had the same problem with a pair of used figure skates. I did the rice-in-stockings trick and silica, and powder. It's working pretty good. But just got a suggestion from an ice skater who got the suggestion from her podiatrist.

Dilute bleach, really dilute it and rub it on the insides of the skates and put them out in the sun. I'm actually gonna try it. I'll get back to you.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #19
Sir Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRGL1 View Post

No need for an "extreme solution." Most of the sprays, etc. will damage your boots with prolonged use. (The chemicals break the boots down).

I make custom pouches with my own formula of activated carbon and silica. They are very effective in removing moisture and odor. My family wears our skates for a couple hours nearly 5 days a week. These have completely eliminated smelly skates. They are so effective a local skate shop asked if I would be willing to have them in her store! You simply take the pouches and place them in your skates when not in use. Then take them out and store them when rolling around.

If you don't want to pay for something like that, you can use desiccant bags that come with most packaged items (usually filled with silica gel). They are very effective in removing moisture but offer no odor absorption. You'd need to accumulate some pretty big ones to use, obviously.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 02:42 PM   #20
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Aaron View Post
No need for an "extreme solution." Most of the sprays, etc. will damage your boots with prolonged use. (The chemicals break the boots down).

I make custom pouches with my own formula of activated carbon and silica. They are very effective in removing moisture and odor. My family wears our skates for a couple hours nearly 5 days a week. These have completely eliminated smelly skates. They are so effective a local skate shop asked if I would be willing to have them in her store! You simply take the pouches and place them in your skates when not in use. Then take them out and store them when rolling around.

If you don't want to pay for something like that, you can use desiccant bags that come with most packaged items (usually filled with silica gel). They are very effective in removing moisture but offer no odor absorption. You'd need to accumulate some pretty big ones to use, obviously.
I filled a pair of shin high socks with silca I got from unpacking stuff at work. Works great, I don't even need to twke the skates out of the bag.

I told a guy at the skating rink about he said, "He liked putting them on wet. Ewwww.. And it will ruin your skates. My Daughter had walking boots that went moldy for not drying. PU. . And the smell, and we were in a tent blahhhhhhhh.... It was terrible trying to kill that mold. The guy at the rink refused to beleive it could become a problem. OK whatever, but could you sit like wayyyyyyy over there? jk, I'll endure.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote