S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 11th, 2016, 05:47 AM   #17621
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Sadness...

Excuse...

The white "Z"-shaped line on the first radar image is the Rail-Trail I was supposed to skate 60 miles on last week. Tree debris from severe storms high winds ended that dream for now.
Old August 14th, 2016, 03:46 PM   #17622
TimeZone3

Got 12 miles in today on the rail trail. It is just really difficult to turn out high miles in this kind of heat / humidity. Real danger of dehydration / heatstroke. I also feel like the wheels on my new skates are crap. They don't seem to have much roll at all; I feel like I start slowing down dramatically as soon as my push finishes. I have a new set on order, we'll see how that goes.

TZ
TimeZone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2016, 05:33 PM   #17623
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeZone3 View Post
Got 12 miles in today on the rail trail. It is just really difficult to turn out high miles in this kind of heat / humidity. Real danger of dehydration / heatstroke.
Yeah, it is dangerous especially alone. My best Rail-Trail is shaded except a couple hours mid-day. There is ice water available every 5-10 miles. I use an insulated CamelBak with 3 liters of ice water if need be as well. Get an early start at sunrise and it is less dangerous for 3-4 hours. Even at sunset the heat index is still >100*F
Old September 19th, 2016, 04:56 PM   #17624
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Where is everybody??

I have been splitting time between my longboard and inlines. Weather is finally starting to break into fall just a little bit but less daylight to work with. Late evenings are fairly pleasant. Mornings still humid and sweaty.

Took a nice belly-flop off the longboard 2 weeks ago. Just getting back to normal from that. Maybe the hardest fall I can remember. Hit my rib cage so hard that my sternum and back both hurt where those ribs attach. Sneezing was not so much fun for two weeks. Bruised my left palm (through cycling gloves), lacerated an elbow and knee, scuffed up my skin over those ribs and the top of my pelvis. Re-injured my already janky left shoulder. Thought I might have a concussion from the whiplash. Had to call in sick one day.

Other than that....its all good!
Old September 19th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #17625
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Where is everybody??

I have been splitting time between my longboard and inlines. Weather is finally starting to break into fall just a little bit but less daylight to work with. Late evenings are fairly pleasant. Mornings still humid and sweaty.

Took a nice belly-flop off the longboard 2 weeks ago. Just getting back to normal from that. Maybe the hardest fall I can remember. Hit my rib cage so hard that my sternum and back both hurt where those ribs attach. Sneezing was not so much fun for two weeks. Bruised my left palm (through cycling gloves), lacerated an elbow and knee, scuffed up my skin over those ribs and the top of my pelvis. Re-injured my already janky left shoulder. Thought I might have a concussion from the whiplash. Had to call in sick one day.

Other than that....its all good!
Old September 21st, 2016, 02:24 PM   #17626
TimeZone3

Hey Joey,
I usually remember to post my monthlies in the GPS thread, but don't often remember to come in here...

Hope you're healing up well. Earlier in the season, I had an equipment malfunction and took a spill, landing with my arm crushed up against my chest. That hurt like heck, and did a number on my ribs for a few weeks too. No fun!

I think I've complained in here before that my new skates (Seba Trix2 90) seem slower than my old skates (K2 Mod 8). For the heck of it, I took my old skates out for 12 miles over the weekend, and averaged 12.7mph. Best I'd done on my Seba's recently (on the same route) is just shy of 11mph, so definitely slower. So I pulled off the 12.0" 4x80 frame from my K2s and bolted it up to my new Seba boots. Hopefully I'll get to give the new mixed setup a try this weekend. The Sebas are definitely more comfortable, so I do want to stick with those boots. Kind of sucks to give up the 90s though. The other option I may try later as well is my old 5x80 frame on the Seba boots - that could be a fun setup too.

TZ
Old September 22nd, 2016, 07:52 PM   #17627
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Training in silence, mostly. I have been too busy with work and kids to get on line much this season. Finished off the marathon season with the NorthShore Inline Marathon. Good result for me as I didn't anticipate being able to stick with the pack to nearly the end of the race. Weather conditions were favorable for me in that it was wet and the really fast guys couldn't break away and stay away. Finished in 1:26.07, officially. Top 5 in my age group and top 50 overall out of over 1000 skaters. Felt good to really mix it up in a large pack for such a long skate. Felt like skating at the World Champs, or as close to it as I will ever get. Working on designing my off-season right now, though. I see lots of weights and power work in my future. I set a goal to dead lift 400 by the time I turn 40, which is just over 4 years. My current 5 rep PR is 250, and my maintenance lifting has me pulling 235ish. I have a way to go, but it is very doable. I want to be squatting in the 300s by then, and my present 5 rep squat PR is 200. I weigh about 175, for reference. Going to be working Olympic lifts for power, too, so hope to see clean numbers around 225 in the next 4 years, also, at a minimum. Should be a fun off season.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 08:34 PM   #17628
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Hey Joey,
I usually remember to post my monthlies in the GPS thread, but don't often remember to come in here...

Hope you're healing up well. Earlier in the season, I had an equipment malfunction and took a spill, landing with my arm crushed up against my chest. That hurt like heck, and did a number on my ribs for a few weeks too. No fun!

I think I've complained in here before that my new skates (Seba Trix2 90) seem slower than my old skates (K2 Mod 8)....

TZ
Thanks for checking in! Yeah, I am recovered from my latest belly-flop but now have a head/chest cold just in time for good weather. Been mostly out of action for 5 days now.

Hope you get the new skates figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
... Finished off the marathon season with the NorthShore Inline Marathon. ...Finished in 1:26.07, officially. Top 5 in my age group and top 50 overall out of over 1000 skaters.
Nice work!

Man, I gotta wonder if there are 1000 skaters in the entire USofA who race outdoors any more. Except for Roller Derby girls working out there are only a handful of skaters of any type or age in New Orleans. I would love to just SEE 1000 skaters. Or even 100.

Cheers All!
Old September 24th, 2016, 04:44 PM   #17629
TimeZone3

Just got back from my first skate with my frankenskate setup. Did just over 13 miles in an hour flat, which is a PR pace for me, and way the heck faster than I was able to do on the 90mm setup. So for now, I am sticking with this setup. For me, it isn't so much the actual pace numbers, as the fact that the 90mm wheels just felt slow and sluggish and not fun to skate. The long 4x80mm frame is much faster and more fun to skate. I may try another set of 90mm wheels in the future, but for now, I am liking the setup with my old 4x80mm frame.

TZ
Old September 24th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #17630
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Just got back from my first skate with my frankenskate setup. Did just over 13 miles in an hour flat, which is a PR pace for me, and way the heck faster than I was able to do on the 90mm setup. So for now, I am sticking with this setup. For me, it isn't so much the actual pace numbers, as the fact that the 90mm wheels just felt slow and sluggish and not fun to skate. The long 4x80mm frame is much faster and more fun to skate. I may try another set of 90mm wheels in the future, but for now, I am liking the setup with my old 4x80mm frame.

TZ
Maybe the benefits of those larger wheels does not kick in at lower speeds. Perhaps if you could push them to 15-18 mph it might make a difference on a very long skate.

For a few years I had a pair of "professional" level bike wheels on my favorite road bike. They were slugs below 20mph, nothing special below 25mph, but AMAZING at speeds over 25mph. So for someone of my cycling ability, they were not optimal. For pros who average 30mph, I am sure they were fantastic.
Old September 26th, 2016, 02:20 PM   #17631
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:

TZ
The problem is the lack of good 90mm wheels. All of the technology these days is in the 100+mm wheels. I understand that those Seba boots are 195mm mount spacing, you could always move up to a 4x100. Could be a host of other issues, too, though. Technique does change some on bigger set ups. You tend to lose more power in cushy boots because of the angles created with frame. This is something we work on all the time with speed boots, too. Bigger wheels aren't always better, it depends a lot on your strength.
Old September 28th, 2016, 01:00 PM   #17632
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I missed Saturday and Sunday due to a pulled groin and both ankles. This was after a triple header session on friday. I already made up the lost two days time with a massive 2 hour session on monday and a three hour blast yesterday.
Old October 1st, 2016, 11:49 PM   #17633
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Fall finally arrived. Temps mid 60s to 80s and low humidity. Put in 7 hours yesterday and 3 today. Awesome!
Old October 17th, 2016, 08:19 PM   #17634
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Got 50 miles of skating done this past Friday and Sat combined. Skated before work this morning about 10 miles and might put in a few miles after work too. Weather has been stellar every freaking day for the past month.

Bummer that my regular skating path is closing for a big festival. The set-up/take-down takes about one month! Jerks. I have other options, just not as convenient.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 08:10 AM   #17635
whm98282

Talking Rain

I'll skate in the rain just not in both wind and rain. I did five miles in damp weather early yesterday. Hope there's a light rain around 6am. Makes travel more interesting.
Skate on gang.
whm98282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2016, 08:51 PM   #17636
TimeZone3

I tried to go out for a trail skate on Saturday but found the trail still flooded from the hurricane. So I skated in the parking lot for 45 minutes or so, just doing balance drills, carving drills, and practicing cross overs in both directions.

On Sunday, I joined the local group for a ~20mile road skate. The first 8 miles were fine, after which point the slowest guy dropped out, leaving me as the slowest guy, and after that, it was a bit hard to keep up with the others. Good skate though!

TZ
Old November 7th, 2016, 04:42 PM   #17637
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Daily, usually twice daily.

Old January 2nd, 2017, 07:58 PM   #17638
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Rainy weather slowed me down a little end of December. Have a new GPS watch on the way this week, maybe next week. Likely this will cause me to start recording data again. Been on holiday from counting miles since August and I think I like it better that way. We'll see.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 08:37 PM   #17639
Vadn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
....Have a new GPS watch on the way this week, maybe next week. Likely this will cause me to start recording data again....
What brand and model of GPS did you choose?
Vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 08:52 PM   #17640
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadn1 View Post
What brand and model of GPS did you choose?

http://www.lezyne.com/product-gps-microcgpswatch.php

I have the non-watch version of this GPS from two years ago with a lot less features (that I won't use anyway). What made me pull the trigger on a new GPS is the "watch" feature for starters. The big difference is this watch over my last mini-gps is this one has GPS and Excelerometer features. With just satellite triangulation, you go under some trees, in a canyon, or urban skyscraper environment, the GPS tends to become either very inaccurate or downright berserk. If I forgot to pause the GPS before entering a structure (like a bathroom in the park) I could count on a Jackson Pollock masterpiece on the route map generated by STRAVA.

I am kinda over the whole GPS thing really, but I work at a bike shop where I have to sell these things (easy) and then be a tech weenie for those people who can't learn from an instruction booklet (more difficult). Therefore, I have to actually USE the latest, greatest toys. This is not as glamorous as it sounds, trust me.