S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 12th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #21
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

(creeeeaaaakkk)(door opens slowly)
Errr, is there anybody in here? Hey, wait a minute, this place smells a little like sweaty socks! I think I know that smell. Do I know you guys? Are we all still really here?! Just wait till I get off work. JB]
Jessica, congrats on the Triathalon, Mark "Holy Crap"!
JT - guess who's on the 5x80's!
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #22
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Aug 12:

Alrighty then...

Well, my motorcycle's in the shop having new tires, chain, & sprockets put on, so I had to do somethig different this weekend. So, I opted to skate.

Since I haven't skated a distance over 10 miles in exactly 2 months, I decided to do twice that. Boy, am I out of skating shape. I took the Garmin to have a good laugh, so here goes:

Total Distance: 22.0 miles
Total time: 1:55:37
Average Speed: 11.4mph
Average Pace: 5:15
Best Speed: 19.5mph
Best mile: 3:55 @ 15.3mph (mile 1, figures, right)
Worst mile: 6:10 @ 9.7mph (mile 22, again figures, right)

I was so trashed at the 17 mile mark, I was just hanging on to complete the loop. I guess the treadmill doesn't much in the scope of skating, does it.

And to think that the last 10 mile skate I did back in June, I averaged 14.8mph and averaged a pace of 4:02.

The old saying is definitely true... ya snooze, ya lose.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #23
speedysktr
President of Everything

Aug. 12 30 minute spin, felt like crap at 5am so did what I thought I needed to do preceding the 55 miles on roads. Time: 3:23 average HR 155 max 185
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #24
JWU42

Had a somewhat nasty fall 2 weeks back and hope to get back on my skates tomorrow - glad the site is back...
JWU42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:35 AM   #25
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Went to Dyer at really early morning. There's a mild southwest wind, giving downhill a decent push. So I decided it's going to be a hill training day. It had been uphill wind in the last almost 2 months, so this would be a good opportunity for me to get used to the speed. It's probably the 2nd or 3rd time I went down the big hill at Dyer with tailwind, but first time I attempted with a near full tuck.

Since I wasn't sure how fast I will be going, so I had a standing start from the stop (as opposed to furious rolling starts I did most of the time). The acceleration was surprisingly quick, but I had no stability problem at all (keeping my weight back). Then, split second before hitting the 2nd right turn on the bottom of the hill, I realized that I'd never gone so quick at that point before. I was so afraid that I miss the turn-in point and turn in too late. My left skate did wiggle a bit as I went through the turn. It's not a pretty one, but I made it through in and my legs were shaking badly after the turn.

For the 2nd attempt, I tried to stay a bit higher and told myself not to miss the turn-in point. But I still freaked out and choose the alternate run-offs with wider turn but shorter (therefore requires braking). I tried the 3rd time, and still can't get the confidence to make the turn. I know it's physically possible for me to make the turn (I did it in the first attempt at higher speed).

Just before I was heading up the hill again to try for the 4th time (this time half way from the top), the sprinklers next to the run-off were turned on.

So I went to the little hills instead, and did 6 more, all with furious sprints on top to gather enough speed. But the speed is nowhere near what I did on the big hill.

I was fustrated because I didn't have the courage to make the turn. I had no problem with the stability going down the hill. But in order go that quick, I have the make that tight right turn because the other run-off was too short. I just wish I could train on a hill with a straight (not curving) run-off at the bottom. I didn't know how fast I was going, but it's the fastest I ever went on Dyer, and it's close (but not enough) to what I did at Minneola/Clermont. What a different a 10mph tailwind can do.
buzzinghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #26
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

August 1210 hours of Eddie.

Photos of Saturday

Last edited by mvirtue; August 14th, 2006 at 06:08 PM.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #27
Pepper Montana

14 miles on the hilly loop. Max heart rate 178 with an average of 152 bpm. Didn't work as hard overall but did focus on trying to get low and extending my heel more. I know that my top speed is better with the refinements I am trying to make in my skating. I need to get more consistent with the application of good technique. Did 90 sit ups and now I feel relaxed and happy.
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #28
speedysktr
President of Everything

Aug 13 90 minute indoor practice
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #29
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Mark, Thanks for the great photos of Eddy's workshop. It brings back a flood of great memories of the one I attended in St. Pete in Feb. 2005. I must say you have a great group of good looking skaters in the NW. Again, thanks and best wishes.

Ken

LezSk8 Central Florida!
LezSk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #30
SeJoWa

It's nice to see this familiar little skating world keep zipping along.

Aug 12
Watched excellent race videos twice, thrice, and in slow mo.

Twiddling my thumbs, hoping for the rain to go away.
SeJoWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #31
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Aug 13:

AM:
40 minute incline intervals on treadmill.

PM:
5 mile skate on local bike path. No stats, as I didn't bring the Garmin.
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:28 AM   #32
NWGlenn

Sun. 08 - 13: Out to Clear Creek Trail for some real distance instead of just marathon practice. Wanted to boost my top mileage from May's 70 but just wasn't up to it (uh oh). Lots of left leg cramping on the last 14 mile segment; I was usually able to skate it off but kept hitting different muscles, occurred mainly on the hill climbs but then started on the flat when I tried to add an extra lap...decided matching my previous distance was adequate for today.

Didn't realize that I'd bettered my elapsed time from May until I started doing the math. May's 5hr 51min for 11.965 mph, today's was 5hr 25min for 12.92mph.
5 lap/14 mi segment times stats were:

1) 59min / 14.23mph
2) 60min / 14mph
3) 65min / 12.92mph
4) 66min / 12.727mph
5) 75min / 11.199mph

A2A carrot for the mule: 87mi / 12.92mph = 6hr 42min (I really don't think so Speedy but the math looks nice. )
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:35 AM   #33
speedysktr
President of Everything

what if I suggested that you would in fact accomplish that time and pace? It's completely doable assuming you commit to getting into and staying with a good pack.
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #34
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGlenn View Post
A2A carrot for the mule: 87mi / 12.92mph = 6hr 42min (I really don't think so Speedy but the math looks nice. )
Glenn,
Did you do all of your skating solo? I reread your post for any clues and I didn't see any. If you did all of that on your own I am seriously impressed. The mental toughness part is something that you have down. The temptation to stop at the end of the loop is strong for me.

I have a nearby rails to trails that is 14 miles out and back. I am going to roll it the week after St. Paul to see how I compare to your impressive efforts. You are setting the bar for me! Thanks for the inspiration.
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #35
Pepper Montana

Active rest day. 64 minutes on the treadmill. Max heart rate was 131 bpm with an average of 108 bpm. 90 situps to finish up.
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #36
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Mark, I just have to say WOW. What a great marathon time. Congrats. And, I LOVE the pictures.

August 12

Did a repeat of the 44 miler on hills we did a couple of weeks ago with John J. Jon B and Napalm did half, also the same as last time. While they were throwin' it down, I was having quite a hard time of it. My feet were really giving me a lot of trouble. Unbearable pain in the left, cramping in the right. You would think this was the first time I put on these skates or something. Anyway, Jon will give you his report, but they were really doing awesome this weekend. He was on some 5x80's and he was really flying up those hills. Napalm too - they were working together and leaving us in the dust. John and I finished in 3:08 something, 4:15ish pace. John J wasn't feeling very well either.

August 13

31 mile bike ride in San Antonio - we go for the hills! It was a beautiful ride on long quiet country roads. John J. had to get back by 9:30 am so we had to shorten the route a bit. From what I was told, we missed all of the monster hills at the end of the main route. Oh well, next time.

August 14

10 hill sprints at Upper Tampa Bay trail, with fun mile and a half mad dash back to the car trying to catch a cyclist. I didn't catch him, but he hadn't just done 10 hill repeats

Tonight - yoga
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #37
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
Did you do all of your skating solo?
My point exactly. I'd assumed it was solo when making the above statement. What I don't know is the amount of hills in Glenn's route. If you were pack skating on the exact same course, typically there'd be an automatic reduction in time assuming it was a cooperative pack etc. Factor a more challenging course and it levels the playing field again. Glenn, I'm predicting that you'll be ecstatic when you roll into Piedmont Park.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #38
speedysktr
President of Everything

Exclamation

Jessica, have you ever tried ibuprofen before a skate? I'm not sure if there are any adverse effects, but I know it has helped me minimize foot pain in the past with no apparent impact on my performance (other than being able to concentrate on skating, not the pain) I have neuromas in both of my feet that still act up from time to time even in my customs. When they get cranking, it feels like a white hot knife in my feet.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #39
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
August 13

31 mile bike ride in San Antonio
Did you say hi to my mom, she lives down there...
Old August 14th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #40
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Mark, I just have to say WOW. What a great marathon time. Congrats. And, I LOVE the pictures.
Thanks! I'll be backing off and working on what I've learned from the Eddie clinic for the next while. I did learn that skating with my real camera is interesting. When we skated the 5 miles out to lunch and back on Sunday I had to slow way down for the rail road crossings and driveways and got dropped by the pack, I'd then end up sprinting to catch them, only to get dropped at the next intersection. Go out to lunch was worse as there was a nasty head wind off of Puget Sound.

I have fond memories of San Antonio. I really like the city.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote