S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old April 17th, 2016, 07:57 AM   #1
hyperiuSupern0va

Default 50$ on new Bearings| ilq-9 or bones or what else?

I heard that twincam ilq9 does not require much maintenance. theyre metal balls and can last long. Sounds like quality to me.

Most of Rollerblade boots, even the speed ones use twincam ilq9 pro, so they must be something.

2 packs of bones red is about the same price. there are 4 minute of video spun on youtube and there are 30 second ones too.

Both brands have fake and originals. this is annoying.

i have my fair share of bearing problems and im fed up with it.

next, i have to find a reliable online seller, hope you can give some thoughts about this
hyperiuSupern0va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 04:36 PM   #2
hyperiuSupern0va

well, i've solved this. i found probably the cheapest and best bearings ever, i dont think anything else can go below this. i saw video record too. solves my question on its reliability. tempted to get ceramics but could brittle in hard skating.

so whats left is just waiting for it.

it was such a difficult process. for the best shipping and reliability.
there are so many fake ones out there.

buying online is the only cheapest method, or the Only method. many fake "ilq-9"s in the market. i went through so many products / stores. so glad its done now
Old April 20th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #3
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

It's more a choice between Bones.....and everything else.

I said that wrong. It's really just Bones.

My bearing history:

Qubes. Good one time. Throwaways
Roll-line Micro. Only bearings I've ever "broken."
Bones Ceramic. Well, they're Bones but not worth the $200+ Mine are just sitting in a drawer.
Fafnirs. We'll, ok, if you can find these used get them.

Spend the $80 on Bones Swiss and they will last for decades. I would even be happy with Bones Reds. $35 and you can replace them every year if you want.

Ceramics are really just for guys that like to let everyone know they have ceramics.
inverse137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 09:43 PM   #4
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inverse137 View Post
Spend the $80 on Bones Swiss and they will last for decades.
This is true. I have sets of Bones Swiss that over 10 years old and still go as well as the day I installed them. They also require little maintenance, depending on how they're used.

Indoor, I apply Tri-Flow synthetic oil maybe once every 2-3 months. I don't think I've ever cleaned a set of indoor bearings.

Outdoor, I apply Tri-Flow synthetic grease maybe once a season, unless I skate in the rain. I usually only clean outdoor bearings if they get wet or really dusty.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 11:27 PM   #5
Armadillo

Acer Racing→ http://www.acerracing.com/Ceramic_Sk...ings-93-1.html

$29.99 for set of (8) Silicon Nitride SiN black ball ceramic & chrome steel skate specific bearings with free shipping. Come greased, which makes them good for outdoor water risks, but wear-in takes some time.

Hard to beat under $60 delivered to get your quads rolling with SiN black ball ceramics

-Armadillo
Old April 21st, 2016, 01:47 PM   #6
hyperiuSupern0va

thanks for your replies, guis.

i see. i respect bones then. which bones model exactly, reds ?

the problem with ceramics is, they are sensitive. not good for jumps or rough skating. i skate on rough tarmac, unpredictable.

throughout the wilderness of the world wide web filled with scammers, i found a reliable, friendly retailer whom are sending me bearings for free, over the seas for me to test them. how awesome is that
Old April 21st, 2016, 03:18 PM   #7
WJCIV

Reds aren't worth it. The materials are cheaper, so you need to replace them a lot more often. The Bones Swiss cost 2-3X as much, but last much longer.

I've also had really good luck with BSB Swiss. Skated through rain, didn't clean them until the next day, and they were still race quality the next racing season. Again, they have a cheap line (BSB lite) which aren't as good.

It's mostly true that bearings have very little difference in performance. The cheaper ones (like Bones Reds or BSB lite) don't last as long. I think the balls deform, because they just don't roll as well. I've found the Bones Swiss and BSB Swiss to last enough longer to be worth the money. Some of the ILQ lines have a similar reputation. I've also had no-name bearings last quite a while, and my current indoor practice set is really a hodge-podge of brands. There are other skaters who get the cheapest ones they can and just replace them. You can buy handfuls of "608 deep groove bearings" (Z or ZZ are common modifiers and just mean there are shields on one or both sides) really cheap.

I've got one set of full ceramics that I like for the low maintenance in bad weather, and I keep meaning to get my hands on some SKF bearings, which have really good reviews.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 04:13 PM   #8
greazer
Forget oil... Grease!

IMHO:
Ceramics are usually not worth the money.
Bones Swiss are great quality (though not cheap).
ILQ9's are very good.
VXB stainless (grey 2RS, greased) are good in the wet but can't find them now.
Bones (China) Reds are too expensive for what they offer since my favourite Chinese bearings are exactly the same quality for around half the price.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 12:27 AM   #9
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperiuSupern0va View Post
thanks for your replies, guis.

i see. i respect bones then. which bones model exactly, reds ?

the problem with ceramics is, they are sensitive. not good for jumps or rough skating. i skate on rough tarmac, unpredictable.

throughout the wilderness of the world wide web filled with scammers, i found a reliable, friendly retailer whom are sending me bearings for free, over the seas for me to test them. how awesome is that

"the problem with ceramics is, they are sensitive. not good for jumps or rough skating. i skate on rough tarmac, unpredictable."

These knocks on ceramics for low toughness and being too fragile for rougher and more frequent impact skating duty are mostly all directed toward WHITE ceramic ball bearings. The SiN black ball bearings perform much more reliably for handling frequent shock loading exposure. Acer Bearings backs their cermamic skate bearing products for use by the most EXTREME skateboarding service, so I am sure they can handle the worst service that both inline and quad skaters can throw at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greazer View Post
IMHO:
Ceramics are usually not worth the money.
Bones Swiss are great quality (though not cheap).
ILQ9's are very good.
VXB stainless (grey 2RS, greased) are good in the wet but can't find them now.
Bones (China) Reds are too expensive for what they offer since my favourite Chinese bearings are exactly the same quality for around half the price.
"Ceramics are usually not worth the money" → ??? When the total money for a set of SiN ceramics amounts to only $60 for (16) 608 bearings, then then choosing the meager savings that going all metal bearings gives is a long term WASTE of money, since the black ball ceramic bearings should last ~2-3 times longer while performing better than all metal too.

-Armadillo
Old April 22nd, 2016, 01:04 PM   #10
greazer
Forget oil... Grease!

Dude... IMHO!

I'm an outdoor (long distance) speedskater, a Friday Night Skate Amsterdam blocker (traffic control) and next to that I skate a lot just for fun.

I have used white ceramics, black ceramics, cheap ceramics, expensive ceramics, ceramics in cheap steel, ceramics in quality steel, ceramics in stainless steel.

What is key here is both the quality of the black ceramic (white ceramics is indeed useless [IMHO ]) and the quality of work doen on the raw material, same thing for the (stainless) steel raceways.

So my humble opinion was that I have not found any 16 piece set of ceramic bearings for 60 - 120 (or dollar if you like) that was 4-8 times better (never found a speed difference beteen bearings...) and/or longer lasting than the 15 Chinese bearings that I use also use a lot.

My race times and training times are the same, I've come to the conclusion that bearings don't matter as long as they are not the absolute cheapest crap you can buy from aliexpress (Indeed, 2-3 $/ can not buy 16 bearings made of quality steel... I know a guy that tried ).

Remember, the Chinese 60 ceramics have the same steel races/rings as my 15 full steel ones. Also, I have damaged black ceramics balls more than once, not as many times as the white ones though...

Anyway... Good luck with your opinion!
Old April 22nd, 2016, 02:09 PM   #11
WJCIV

Quote:
Also, I have damaged black ceramics balls more than once, not as many times as the white ones though...
I think you're pretty much on target, so this post is mostly an aside. There are actually multiple grades of Si3N4 (black/gray ceramic). From what I can tell the finest grade is 2, and the worst is 10. I have never seen a skate bearing advertise which grade is used, but have found articles stating that bicycle bearings are typically grade 10. Because I have never seen a grade advertised I have never looked in to the differences, but maybe there would be a noticeable differences in wear and durability. There would certainly be a difference in cost.

This might also explain the difference between black and gray, but I've never actually seen anything stating that (not that I looked all that hard).

Old April 23rd, 2016, 03:26 AM   #12
Armadillo

Quote:
Dude... IMHO!

I'm an outdoor (long distance) speedskater, a Friday Night Skate Amsterdam blocker (traffic control) and next to that I skate a lot just for fun.

I have used white ceramics, black ceramics, cheap ceramics, expensive ceramics, ceramics in cheap steel, ceramics in quality steel, ceramics in stainless steel.

What is key here is both the quality of the black ceramic (white ceramics is indeed useless [IMHO ]) and the quality of work doen on the raw material, same thing for the (stainless) steel raceways.

So my humble opinion was that I have not found any 16 piece set of ceramic bearings for €60 - €120 (or dollar if you like) that was 4-8 times better (never found a speed difference beteen bearings...) and/or longer lasting than the €15 Chinese bearings that I use also use a lot.

My race times and training times are the same, I've come to the conclusion that bearings don't matter as long as they are not the absolute cheapest crap you can buy from aliexpress (Indeed, 2-3 $/€ can not buy 16 bearings made of quality steel... I know a guy that tried ).

Remember, the Chinese €60 ceramics have the same steel races/rings as my €15 full steel ones. Also, I have damaged black ceramics balls more than once, not as many times as the white ones though...

Well at least we agree that white ceramic balls are crap inside skate bearings. You clearly have more long term experience than I with the various ceramic options out there. I have only rolled the Acer Racing's cheap [$60/set of (16)] black ball ceramics outdoors for near a year and a half, during which I hit many puddles and skated through a driving rain storm once. They still roll smooth with no detectable glitches. I never cleaned them once since I have owned them (they came greased). They are NOT stainless steel.

On this experience alone I will never buy an all steel set again for use outdoors, and I'll gladly pay the extra $25-30 (compared to decent all-steel) to know that I can roll for a whole year's worth of outdoor training without cleaning my bearings once, even when I do occasionally hit some unavoidable puddles or a full rainstorm.

I am also less stressed now when I consider doing a training session and there is a % chance of rain. Before, I would never gamble much, now, more often, I go anyway. Before, if I gambled (rare) with a rain threat pending, I would not skate very far from where I parked my car (annoying having to keep circling back). Now all these factors barely concern me, and that is well worth the extra $ for these black ball ceramics from Acer Racing at a $uper low $60 price.

Many demanding skate boarders roll them in aggressive outdoor and bowl style acrobatic duty, and they probably do fail sometimes for them, but so far not for me (I don't to jumps).
If they last me only a few years, I'll be happy for the all the time saved by not having to clean them immediately after water exposures, which is mandatory with all steel non-stainless ones.
I'll be glad I can skate more often when there is a chance of rain forecast.
Most of all, I'll be glad if other skaters read this thread, decide to try them, and end up getting all the same kind of benefits I have enjoyed over the last ~1.5 years

-Armadillo
Old April 23rd, 2016, 06:45 AM   #13
hyperiuSupern0va

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Well at least we agree that white ceramic balls are crap inside skate bearings. You clearly have more long term experience than I with the various ceramic options out there. I have only rolled the Acer Racing's cheap [$60/set of (16)] black ball ceramics outdoors for near a year and a half, during which I hit many puddles and skated through a driving rain storm once. They still roll smooth with no detectable glitches. I never cleaned them once since I have owned them (they came greased). They are NOT stainless steel.

On this experience alone I will never buy an all steel set again for use outdoors, and I'll gladly pay the extra $25-30 (compared to decent all-steel) to know that I can roll for a whole year's worth of outdoor training without cleaning my bearings once, even when I do occasionally hit some unavoidable puddles or a full rainstorm.

I am also less stressed now when I consider doing a training session and there is a % chance of rain. Before, I would never gamble much, now, more often, I go anyway. Before, if I gambled (rare) with a rain threat pending, I would not skate very far from where I parked my car (annoying having to keep circling back). Now all these factors barely concern me, and that is well worth the extra $ for these black ball ceramics from Acer Racing at a $uper low $60 price.

Many demanding skate boarders roll them in aggressive outdoor and bowl style acrobatic duty, and they probably do fail sometimes for them, but so far not for me (I don't to jumps).
If they last me only a few years, I'll be happy for the all the time saved by not having to clean them immediately after water exposures, which is mandatory with all steel non-stainless ones.
I'll be glad I can skate more often when there is a chance of rain forecast.
Most of all, I'll be glad if other skaters read this thread, decide to try them, and end up getting all the same kind of benefits I have enjoyed over the last ~1.5 years

-Armadillo
what about TWincam's ilq9 pro ? theyre 50 bucts on their official webpage. it is a chinese brand and made in china but it is almost or completely impossible to find genuine ones on aliexpress.
official rollerblade and k2 uses these twincam bearings. are you saying the acer bearings are better ? 60$ is ok but if included shipping may be over my budget.

Edit: oh i noticed greazer saying ilq9's are very good.

Last edited by hyperiuSupern0va; April 23rd, 2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 06:47 AM   #14
hyperiuSupern0va

Quote:
Dude... IMHO!

So my humble opinion was that I have not found any 16 piece set of ceramic bearings for 60 - 120 (or dollar if you like) that was 4-8 times better (never found a speed difference beteen bearings...) and/or longer lasting than the 15 Chinese bearings that I use also use a lot.

My race times and training times are the same, I've come to the conclusion that bearings don't matter as long as they are not the absolute cheapest crap you can buy from aliexpress (Indeed, 2-3 $/ can not buy 16 bearings made of quality steel... I know a guy that tried ).

Remember, the Chinese 60 ceramics have the same steel races/rings as my 15 full steel ones. Also, I have damaged black ceramics balls more than once, not as many times as the white ones though...

i've noticed videos of ceramics spinning way longer than steel bearings. black ceramics. so have you felt you can maintain speed for longer on ceramics or its similar. and perhaps these steel ones will last longer.
Old April 24th, 2016, 05:24 AM   #15
Armadillo

Quote:
what about TWincam's ilq9 pro ? theyre 50 bucts on their official webpage. it is a chinese brand and made in china but it is almost or completely impossible to find genuine ones on aliexpress.
official rollerblade and k2 uses these twincam bearings. are you saying the acer bearings are better ? 60$ is ok but if included shipping may be over my budget.

Edit: oh i noticed greazer saying ilq9's are very good.
They (the ACER RACING ones) are $60 delivered price. I cannot comment on the Twincam black ceramic ball bearings since I never used them and thus cant compare them.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; April 25th, 2016 at 10:11 AM. Reason: clarity
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2016, 10:37 PM   #16
WJCIV

Quote:
i've noticed videos of ceramics spinning way longer than steel bearings. black ceramics. so have you felt you can maintain speed for longer on ceramics or its similar. and perhaps these steel ones will last longer.
Yes, ceramics do very well in a "free spin" test. Some of those are even worse than others, showing a greased steel bearing versus a completely unlubricated ceramic one. That test is good for checking if your bearings are clean, installed properly on a wheel, and aligned with each other. It's next to useless for determining which bearing will perform better "under load" (that is, when you put your weight on it).

Zipp, a manufacturer of bicycle bearings, claims that their ceramics can save 10W over their steel version. That's probably taken from testing some of their pro riders. Pro cyclists put out about 250W on average and 450W at their peak. So 10W is something, but only a little something. Don't expect a life changing difference. Obviously if you go from absolutely terrible bearings to decent ceramics there will be a bigger difference, but if the comparison is decent steel versus decent ceramics I wouldn't worry overly much about rolling performance.

Old April 25th, 2016, 02:16 AM   #17
ursle
Street Skater

One of those moments rather like standing under a large tree during a thunderstorm or possibly, err' moving away.
Is a 10% reduction of load (amount of work and the time necessary to complete it) worth it, even a 4% reduction, I think I'll move away from the tree, I know I'll use ceramics, err, I do...the only part participating, always.

Last edited by ursle; April 26th, 2016 at 01:01 AM.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #18
Vadim

Quote:
IMHO:
<...>
Could you (or anybody else ) give me a link to good chinese bearings please?

I'm trying to cut expenses and look for bones reds analogue at aliexpress.
Vadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 05:58 AM   #19
slowsk8

Quote:
I heard that twincam ilq9 does not require much maintenance. theyre metal balls and can last long. Sounds like quality to me.

Most of Rollerblade boots, even the speed ones use twincam ilq9 pro, so they must be something.

2 packs of bones red is about the same price. there are 4 minute of video spun on youtube and there are 30 second ones too.

Both brands have fake and originals. this is annoying.

i have my fair share of bearing problems and im fed up with it.

next, i have to find a reliable online seller, hope you can give some thoughts about this
A reliable online seller for the twin cam would be Jimmy Blair.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote