S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old August 3rd, 2016, 01:29 PM   #321
Patinha

Cool Greetings from Brasil!

Hello everybody! This is a 27 years old Brazilian girl who reads a lot but doesn't talk or write in english that often, so I hope you can understand what I´m saying

When I was a kid I had inline and quad skates, but I don´t think I had really learned how to skate, so I think sunday´s experience may count as my first day on inline skates lol! I want to learn how to inline skate with the objective of a fitness and recreational activity, going around the city park with my boyfriend at least on weekends (one ride on the trail has 10km/ 6,2 miles). I feel amazed with slalom tricks too, so I´m hoping I can get to do some manouvers in the future. To start my skating story, last sunday I bought a pair of barely used Fila Primo Air Wave (84mm/83A wheels, ABEC 7 bearings, frame in extruded aluminium) and I went to the park.

First thing that happened to me was a great fall on my butt when trying to get out of the car (two great falls, indeed). After my boyfriend aided me on getting up and reaching the trail, it was less difficult than I thought it would be, but still, I wasn´t able to really roll around. I think what kept me from going to the ground was the amount of videos I watched before going out. When I understood the moves a little better, I couldn´t go uphill, what resulted on my boyfriend towing me around and than carrying me on his back to a place designed for skaters to train. Between rough asphalt, smooth asphalt and concrete I practiced for something like 1 and a half hour and I really didn´t fall because I followed Bill Stoppard´s advice of "Staying Low". Still, all the time I was haunted by the feeling that I would fall on my back. Monday I trained a little in a small space at my house and it felt better. I could properly bend my knees and practice pushing to the sides without getting that feeling of falling backwards. Today I will practice a little more, the goal of today´s practice session is to be able to heel brake and do some A frame turns.

The goal for the weekend is to skate some parts of the park trail, including slight uphills and downhills. Lets see if I can do it!
Patinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2016, 04:53 PM   #322
Steelbreeze

Hello all. I've done a little- very little- skating in my youth. I'm now 47, and started skateboarding again while walking my dog. I decided to give skating another shot, and ordered a set of Powerslide Metropolis SUV skates. I'm hoping that I'll be able to pick it up fairly quickly- the last time I tried to roller blade, I could barely stand up. I'll be lurking here mostly looking for advice.
Steelbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 04:40 AM   #323
Trixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patinha View Post
Hello everybody! This is a 27 years old Brazilian girl who reads a lot but doesn't talk or write in english that often, so I hope you can understand what I´m saying

When I was a kid I had inline and quad skates, but I don´t think I had really learned how to skate, so I think sunday´s experience may count as my first day on inline skates lol! I want to learn how to inline skate with the objective of a fitness and recreational activity, going around the city park with my boyfriend at least on weekends (one ride on the trail has 10km/ 6,2 miles). I feel amazed with slalom tricks too, so I´m hoping I can get to do some manouvers in the future. To start my skating story, last sunday I bought a pair of barely used Fila Primo Air Wave (84mm/83A wheels, ABEC 7 bearings, frame in extruded aluminium) and I went to the park.

First thing that happened to me was a great fall on my butt when trying to get out of the car (two great falls, indeed). After my boyfriend aided me on getting up and reaching the trail, it was less difficult than I thought it would be, but still, I wasn´t able to really roll around. I think what kept me from going to the ground was the amount of videos I watched before going out. When I understood the moves a little better, I couldn´t go uphill, what resulted on my boyfriend towing me around and than carrying me on his back to a place designed for skaters to train. Between rough asphalt, smooth asphalt and concrete I practiced for something like 1 and a half hour and I really didn´t fall because I followed Bill Stoppard´s advice of "Staying Low". Still, all the time I was haunted by the feeling that I would fall on my back. Monday I trained a little in a small space at my house and it felt better. I could properly bend my knees and practice pushing to the sides without getting that feeling of falling backwards. Today I will practice a little more, the goal of today´s practice session is to be able to heel brake and do some A frame turns.

The goal for the weekend is to skate some parts of the park trail, including slight uphills and downhills. Lets see if I can do it!
I hope you're wearing all the proper padding so you can learn all these skills in confidence...

Basic protection: helmet, wrist guards, knee guards, elbow guards, padded gloves, padded shorts

Not all of that is required, I'd say wrist and knee guards to start (and padded shorts if you're prone to falling backwards). Helmet if you're unsure of the terrain or if you're trying something new or dynamic (skate park, etc). Padded gloves for abrasion resistance and elbow guards if you want the extra protection.
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 02:27 PM   #324
Traffic Dancer

I suppose I can tell ya'll about when I first learned how to skate in (gasp!) 1992.....I don't remember what prompted a 22 year-old Me to get skates in the first place but I bought a pair of TRS Lightnings. I put them on at a local tennis court and got the hang of scooting around and such. It occurred to me after picking up speed that I had no idea how to use the brake. I decided a chain link fence might be a good expedient. I hit the fence and bounced right off and somehow spun around before hitting the ground.

That's when I realized that I had forgotten pads and wrist guards.

I wear them religiously now.
Traffic Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 02:30 PM   #325
Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traffic Dancer View Post
I suppose I can tell ya'll about when I first learned how to skate in (gasp!) 1992.....I don't remember what prompted a 22 year-old Me to get skates in the first place but I bought a pair of TRS Lightnings. I put them on at a local tennis court and got the hang of scooting around and such. It occurred to me after picking up speed that I had no idea how to use the brake. I decided a chain link fence might be a good expedient. I hit the fence and bounced right off and somehow spun around before hitting the ground.

That's when I realized that I had forgotten pads and wrist guards.

I wear them religiously now.
Haha. I'm terrible for not wearing protective gear. I think I've worn them once. They felt all hot and horrible. I know I'll learn my lesson one day and start wearing it.

Real life Tazmanian Devil 💥💨
Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #326
Trixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little View Post
Haha. I'm terrible for not wearing protective gear. I think I've worn them once. They felt all hot and horrible. I know I'll learn my lesson one day and start wearing it.
I like the 187 wrist guards and Rollerblade knee guards because they are low profile and they don't restrict movement like many of the more expensive and better protecting options. They have just the hard plate and straps, which is just enough for some light to moderate impact protection and very good abrasion resistance. If I wear nothing else outdoors, I usually throw these on (the knee pads can even go under some jeans if you don't fall often). You will regret it when you have to take a month off skating due to an injury that could have been prevented through the use of basic protection. I know it sucks to wear them during summer, but try to learn your lesson before you fall. You will fall, it's just a matter of when and how.
Old August 28th, 2016, 03:04 PM   #327
Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixton View Post
I like the 187 wrist guards and Rollerblade knee guards because they are low profile and they don't restrict movement like many of the more expensive and better protecting options. They have just the hard plate and straps, which is just enough for some light to moderate impact protection and very good abrasion resistance. If I wear nothing else outdoors, I usually throw these on (the knee pads can even go under some jeans if you don't fall often). You will regret it when you have to take a month off skating due to an injury that could have been prevented through the use of basic protection. I know it sucks to wear them during summer, but try to learn your lesson before you fall. You will fall, it's just a matter of when and how.
Yep. I definatley know this. Glad you Brough up the knee pad thing as they are more so my issue than any of the others. I have skinny little legs and those things are bloody HUGE!! I'm gonna check out the rollerblade knee pads. Thanks fella 👍

Old August 28th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #328
Traffic Dancer

Quote:
Yep. I definatley know this. Glad you Brough up the knee pad thing as they are more so my issue than any of the others. I have skinny little legs and those things are bloody HUGE!! I'm gonna check out the rollerblade knee pads. Thanks fella 👍

Yeah, if I'm gonna wear one piece of protective gear, it's wrist guards.....even if they're all moldy and gross.
Old August 28th, 2016, 03:50 PM   #329
Little

Quote:
Yeah, if I'm gonna wear one piece of protective gear, it's wrist guards.....even if they're all moldy and gross.
I hear ya. I shall force myself lol

Old August 28th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #330
Traffic Dancer

Quote:
I hear ya. I shall force myself lol
I should add that I think mine are so gross that they're starting to breed penicillin.
Old August 28th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #331
Little

Quote:
I should add that I think mine are so gross that they're starting to breed penicillin.
Oh no. That's just nasty. 😂😂😂😂

Old August 28th, 2016, 05:52 PM   #332
Trixton

Quote:
LOL skate gear can get nasty real quick. I wash the fabric parts of mine with soap after a hard, hot session and leave them to dry hanging over the bathtub. I still don't put my nose directly on them though
Old August 28th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #333
Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixton View Post
LOL skate gear can get nasty real quick. I wash the fabric parts of mine with soap after a hard, hot session and leave them to dry hanging over the bathtub. I still don't put my nose directly on them though
Yeah you guys are really making me wanna wear this stuff. Lol. Man

Old August 28th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #334
Traffic Dancer

Quote:
Yeah you guys are really making me wanna wear this stuff. Lol. Man
Think of it as an avant garde fashion statement with an olfactory twist.

Trixton, I religiously wash my Rec Specs strap after skating but that's because they're up near my eyes (and nose). I may get a second set of pads so I can wear one while the other is drying after washing them.

Yeah, because I need to spend more money on skate stuff right now.....gonna go sell another pint of blood.