S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old April 8th, 2017, 04:40 PM   #1
fierocious1

Default Ordered skates

How do we keep having issues with ordered skates? A friend from the rink ordered his new skates. It took forever to get them. Then the one thing I keep on seeing happening is everyone assumes this is a short forward order... You order quads and oh this is another short forward.... Nice looking avengers, nice boots and about an inch too short of plate... And mounted rearward. How can you gain skaters and not knowing how to mount plates. This really sucks, talk about nose over...
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 07:39 PM   #2
Trixton

Short plate, rear mount? Yeah that's the pits...
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 05:14 AM   #3
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
How do we keep having issues with ordered skates? A friend from the rink ordered his new skates. It took forever to get them. Then the one thing I keep on seeing happening is everyone assumes this is a short forward order... You order quads and oh this is another short forward.... Nice looking avengers, nice boots and about an inch too short of plate... And mounted rearward. How can you gain skaters and not knowing how to mount plates. This really sucks, talk about nose over...
I suspect it's a common mistake by mounting new plates the old way.

Traditionally, plates are mounted flush against the heel, or nearly so. Most of the time, that works fine. The size chart for the Avengers in particular, however, is intended for a mounting that's not flush with the heel. The combination of the two results in what you're seeing.
Old April 9th, 2017, 02:21 PM   #4
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
I suspect it's a common mistake by mounting new plates the old way.

Traditionally, plates are mounted flush against the heel, or nearly so. Most of the time, that works fine. The size chart for the Avengers in particular, however, is intended for a mounting that's not flush with the heel. The combination of the two results in what you're seeing.
Yes, I know. It's just sad that people mounting do not know what short forward means and when to stop a job that is not going to work out correctly. Then you get people pissed off spending money on a nice skate project that turns to crap fast. Production mounters should know better.
We all would like to see more skaters, more mature skaters too. What a way to start off ruining the fun.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:57 AM   #5
quantoo

Default And also this too boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Yes, I know. It's just sad that people mounting do not know what short forward means and when to stop a job that is not going to work out correctly. Then you get people pissed off spending money on a nice skate project that turns to crap fast. Production mounters should know better.
We all would like to see more skaters, more mature skaters too. What a way to start off ruining the fun.
Some plates are'nt designed to be mounted forward on a soft boot.
The front mounting area on the crazy venus has the pad area on the front too far forward and needs a stiffener btween the boot and the plate.
And this is exaggerated if you saw the toe stop off and try to mount them even further forward..
No harm done really as you can always seperate the factory mount and remount them furher forward in most cases.
I know you shouldnt have to if youve paid for a sport or forward mount.
But just have a look at most factory packages and you can see its about cost over quality.And most beginners cant tell the difference .The fun spoiler is when somebody in the know tells the puchaser that they need to spend more on thier newly puchased pair of quads.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 11:56 PM   #6
BigFoot

Agreed. I gave up on having new skates mounted. Unless you use Doc in this Forum, or take the time to find a professional like him, your mount is going to be done by the just-hired teenager with no experience, no mechanical skills whatsoever, who couldn’t care less about their job, and who is going to quit tomorrow because, “this job sucks.”

To be fair, I have had more good mounts than bad. But the last two were so bad it just turned me off to future mount orders. I re-mounted those botched jobs myself and did the same for my lasts two pair of new skates.

One benefit of DIY is that you can experiment with the placement before mounting. I duct tape the plate to the boot and test it in various fore and aft positions. Make sure the wheels stick out evenly on both sides of the boot, of course. Then check everything twice and when everything feels right, mount it.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #7
AZSHOT

I guess as a trainer, I wonder are there guidelines to mount plates? If there are two ways, "traditional and short forward", are there specs to what that means? There are ways to mistake-proof any assembly. It's called Instructions. I've heard there is a template, from Snyder I think.

I ask because I have a pair of boots that I'm might mount plates on myself. I will be looking for said instructions soon....
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 06:14 PM   #8
scottishrob
Church of SK8IN'

Default All Is Good And Bad

There really is no right or wrong way to mount plates. Because it is all matter of personal preference. So there is only what a person likes and does not like. Goes along the lines of "one man's trash..." I've seen some really odd mounts that the person skating loved and I've seen some dead on, perfect mounts that the skater can't stand. The best advice, learn to mount your own skates.
scottishrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 07:04 PM   #9
AZSHOT

I guess I might. I think I read about temporary, no holes mounting to see "what I like." Otherwise, how would I know? Duct tape sounds like an accident waiting to happen, but if that's the routine, perhaps I'll try. My problem is I have 3 pair of skates, all with 45 degree Suregrip plates, and they all feel "fine" to me. I'm a good skater.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 07:10 PM   #10
scottishrob
Church of SK8IN'

Default Practice and Tryouts

When I was learning how to mount skates and where I wanted them mounted I went to a 2nd hand store (Value Village, Goodwill, St Vincent de Paul) and bought multiple pairs of inexpensive shoes and cleats. Then I just started. I played around a lot, I didn't care about the shoes so it was game on. For me personally I found that I like the plates mounted differently for different pairs of skates for different skating styles. And yes I have some short plates mounted slightly rear of center. They are a pair of my OG boots. The plates are no toe stop and I swap the wheels between a set of fiberglass micros and a set of polished solid copper micros. The plate location makes for some awesome sliding sessions with the SoCal crowd. Best of luck.
scottishrob is offline   Reply With Quote