S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old February 10th, 2017, 12:20 AM   #1
quadlover
80's Speed

Default New to inline speed skates

I have been skating on quads since the 80s, even on speed team for years. I also do recreational inlines in the warm months with the mid calf rollerblades. I recently decided to give inline speed a try. Today was my 1st day on the new skayes and I felt.like I was just learning how to skate again. How.long is the learning curve on average? Any tips? These are the skates I bought.

Last edited by quadlover; February 10th, 2017 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Pic
quadlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 12:32 AM   #2
quadlover
80's Speed

I guess flickr is down, pic should come up soon i hope
quadlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #3
kentek

Default Please note...

Inlines don't have a toe stop. That is lesson one. All else is EZ.

I would suggest finding a safe place to skate then practice, practice, etc.
Balance/position (hips, shoulders, etc) should be the same- skating is skating.

What exactly are you having issues with?
kentek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #4
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Hey quadlover... you mentioned using recreational inlines during warmer months, and so I'm guessing outdoor trail skating.

I think what you should pay attention to right now is the fact that your ankles are going to be very much in need of proper frame placement.

Your rec skates probably kept your ankles from excessive pronating (ankles falling inwards) or supinating (ankles falling outwards). With lower cut speed skates (even with higher cut semi-speed skates) I think it is very important that right from the start you get your frames set up correctly for your particular feet/ankles/shins/knees/hips so that you learn what feels correct NOW rather than teaching yourself a feel/action that works against you as you get better and having to work to unlearn it then.

There are a few discussion threads here dealing with proper frame placment and working to overcome pronation, which is the prevalent problem for speed.
Old February 12th, 2017, 07:29 PM   #5
AZ Roadrunner

You came to the right place for advice, lots of good skaters here with lots of training tips and good advice.

If you're not on a skate team then the internet has lots of training tips for beginners. I learned from team coaching, tough to replace a good team coach but youtube will provide lots of good training drills videos to strengthen your ankles and proper balance and weight shift. Lots of hours in the skates and a great tool is to follow a good skater to see their motion, timing, foot placement and weight transfer.

Good luck and have fun.
Old February 13th, 2017, 06:10 PM   #6
SkateMO

I personally think "speed skating" has a long learning curve, which in my opinion, is part of the reason the sport has remained relatively small. It's not a sport like basketball or football where pure athleticism can compensate massively for deficiencies in technique. I tend to compare it more to something like golf. Most of the elite skaters have been skating for many years (10+). Very rarely do you see a beginner start competing on the elite ranks within a short amount of time. But, it does happen.

While that may sound intimidating, I actually think you're in a good spot. The fact that you've been skating quads for many, many years gives you a great advantage. Inline skating is different, but a lot of the conditioning, balance, strength / muscle groups used is the same. So, I would guess your learning curve will be much shorter than most.

I think the biggest thing is don't try to go too fast...not in terms of speed, but progress. Learning how to skate is a process. If you expect to master the technique in a few months, you're going to be very disappointed. So, be patient and try to get a little better day-by-day. When I started out, I would just watch youtube videos of the better skaters over and over. However, you have to be careful watching videos because what you see and what actually happens (in regards to technique) can be deceiving. I tried to mimic things like the double push (from videos I would watch) and even though I thought I understood what the skaters were doing, I really didn't. Consequently, I started off with some weird / bad habits with my technique. Skating is a full body "movement" and everything has to happen at exactly the right time. Only a small percentage of your power comes from moving your legs fast, which can be hard to understand when you're just starting out. It's sort of like a pitcher in baseball...to throw a ball fast requires a lot more than just having a strong arm. So, long story short, you really have to work on small things first and then eventually bring everything together and focus on the entire "package." Eddy Matzger has some good videos (many on youtube) and he does a really good job breaking down the technique into manageable parts that you can work on, with the help of drills.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote