S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old April 14th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #21
xlracer

My local rink has the same problems on friday and saturday nights. Top it off with a new rink, no one knows how to skate. New owner that thinks he can do it all himself. No floor guards most of the time and the kids are out of control. We never skate there on the weekend. We go on a Thursday night as a family and there is a small crowd and its is mostly families. All of our skating time is concentrated on speed skating practice.
Its not just kids today that dont have any respect for anyone. They do get that from their parents. If the parents would follow the simple rule of " step out of line, Dad knocks you out" the kids wouldnt be such little jerks. When the parent is a jerk, so is the kid.
You can always just wait until that little brat rolls up behind you one more time. Do a quick hockey stop, they will bounce right off of you land on their butt. Then just look down at her smile and roll away.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #22
Drella
alive with pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
A lot of girls will leave the house with some baggy t-shirt covering on top and then take stuff off after they have left the house.

I know!

Isn't that hot!!!
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #23
OldSchoolRinkRat
Rink Rat 4 Life

This seems to be a growing problem everywhere.

I never really noticed it much until very recently how disrespectful some kids can be. However, I have noticed something over the past month or so that is very interesting.

It's typically the non-regulars that cause the most dischord. It may be that they aren't yet familiar with how things are run when they come in for the first time, and it seems to be the worst with the 11-17 year old crowd.

I was one of those kids that got dropped off at the rink, but that was my choice. My mother, bless her ever loving heart, got married to a guy that turned out to be an abusive jerk, and she did everything in her power to keep my sister and I safe. My mom worked a lot of weekeneds due to the nature of her job, and gave us the choice of what to do during the day on the weekends to stay away from our step-father.

My outlet was the rink. Plain and simple. I looked up to the rink owners and the other employees of the rink. I was greatful that they provided me a safe place to have a good time. During those years, I really don't remember the crowds being that bad (I was around 13 years old at the time).

I think I turned out okay, and I would love the opportunity to work at the local rink, if it were given. To at least give back some of the positive influence that they gave me. I see these kids today, and it gets to me when I see the ones with lots of potential (good skaters) that turn into the brats we all seem to complain about here.

Last weekend during lessons, I got so frustrated with one of the regular kids because he wasn't showing any effort in actually learning the lesson plan. I actually had to tell him "Shut your mouth, pay attention, and learn this!" The kids kind of look up to me, and always ask me how to do this or that. It just gets frustrating when you see the gifted ones start to get into the "I don't care" mindset.

It always makes me smile when I see a parent briging their child in for lessons, then deciding to sign up themselves. They typically spend the time there WITH their children. Those tend to be the FIRST parents I roll up to and strike up a conversation. I even tell them that I think it is awesome to have a new set of friendly faces to add to the regulars list.

I know this is long winded, and may seem to be rambling, but it does have a point. Lending to what others have stated here, perhaps BEING the positive influence at the rink is what each of us should strive for. You never know, you might just be the one that reaches out and actually helps to mold one of these youths into a respectable citizen.

I don't know what has come over me lately, but I REALLY want to be a part of the local scene at my home away from home, and I am doing what I can to pitch in. I think that the rink owners have taken notice of this to some extent, and it may lead to me asking for a part time job with them. Even if they turn me down, I will still lend a helping hand to any of the employees if they need it.

My point in all of this, is that I was a troubled kid coming up, not a lot of money, abusive step-father, etc... Someone gave me a chance to improve my behavior (a DIRECT result of upbringing), and showed me that there ARE positive influences. Now that I have children of my own, I am wanting to bring them into the skating world, and give them the choice.

I have four now, ages 4, 5, and 9 months, and my 9 year old stepson, who has taken a great interest in the sport. I want to show them how much fun they can have, and still be polite and follow the rules. Rest assured though, if the act up at the rink, the skates come off, and we all go home. This has only had to happen ONCE. After that I think they began to understand how the rules work.
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #24
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

No wonder there are so many problems with Kids. --You don't reason with them, you lay down the law in a calm collected way, then enforce it, if they break it. Kids must learn that everything in life is not about them. and to function in society, one must conform to the rules of the Group. "Rule of Law"---This whole "Little Johnny, if I have to tell you one more time, your really gonna be in trouble" approach, has never, nor will it ever work. Kids look for Strong, Fair, and consistent role models to lead them in the right direction. Not to negotiate a deal with them. they know they are Kids, they need Folks that know they are Adults. Kids and Dogs both sense Fear and Weakness, and respect neither.
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #25
BleeckerSt_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlracer View Post
Its not just kids today that dont have any respect for anyone. They do get that from their parents. If the parents would follow the simple rule of " step out of line, Dad knocks you out" the kids wouldnt be such little jerks. When the parent is a jerk, so is the kid.
Well, I must say that most of the obnoxious kids I see are either kids who have obviously been allowed complete free rein with no supervision or discipline, OR kids whose parents are yelling at them and smacking them frequently. I think either method produces human beings who have little regard for others.
Kindness and respect needs to be taught through both instruction and example.

And no, I don't think it's 'hot' when 12 year olds dress in hooker outfits, but hey, maybe that's just me. God knows I used to dress in some pretty 'out there' stuff in my young hippy days, but it was more of a Janis Joplin type look.
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #26
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Kids just copy what Adults do. Women today dress that way. Not just on TV, and the Movies, but in real life, on the streets. what do we expect Our Kids to do?? And wimpy Guys want to try to look like Gangsters, which are mostly Prison Rape victims, with their pants below their butts. ----Lead by example.
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #27
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post
This really is a Rink Manage Issue, or more accurately, a lack of Rink Management Issue.
I agree - there have always been obnoxious kids and there always will be (I do think they are generally getting worse and more disrespectful!) but the biggest change I see is that rinks don't seem to care enough to even try and control the kids anymore.

Last weekend I went to a rink where there were tons of kids chasing each other and skating the wrong direction the whole time... way worse than normal. Sure they had a floor guard, but he was jamskating with his friends the whole time. I don't think I ever saw him say anything to a single kid. This seems to be pretty normal lately at a lot of rinks - we would have gotten fired for that back in the 90s when I was working there - and we are talking about the same rinks/same owners. They just don't seem to care as much now.
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #28
fireproof

My thought was that I would use skating as exercise for my wife and myself. I use to lift weights 4 nights a week in my early thirties as well as swim a mile a week but at age 51 I'm just not going to work out if it isn't fun like skating. Now after a couple months, I'm seeing the pit falls of it as the kids spoil the time I spend there. My wife was skating pretty good the first couple times out and a couple weeks ago I look across the rink and she is pushing herself along the wall like it was her first time. I ask her what the heck she was doing and she said she was afraid of getting knocked down by those kids skating as though they are on speed.
If I see a kid knock my wife down, God have mercy on him or her because they will never be able to walk again and who know what they will be like once they come out of the coma.
fireproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #29
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

For the small Paycheck Floor Guards get, (if any)and with the system being what it is, I don't blame them for not getting more involved. If they say the wrong thing, to the wrong person, it could end up on TV, You Tobe, and in court. I don't beleive in Hitting Kids as a means of discipline. ---It is always the Parents responsibility to have well behaved kids--and dogs that don't bite. How they do it is up to them. When I was a Kid, and we got out of line, any Adult could and did, take us by the arm, and go find Our Parents. Today, you could be charged with "assault on a Minor"---It's the World we created don't forget, and nobody elses fault.

Last edited by Skateguy; April 15th, 2008 at 03:46 AM.
Skateguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #30
MistyMills
Little Ref Riding Hood

One of the rinks I frequent started having a selective admission policy on the weekend evening sessions. I wasn't there the other night, but I guess they were asking kids for IDs. If they didn't have any, they had to come back with a parent/adult. As that crowd can get a little on the rowdy side (I think the policy came about because of a fight there the other night), it's probably a good thing.

Still, it's bad when kids get that out of control. And it's not just at the rink. At dinner the other night I saw a mother encouraging her two teenage sons to lie about their meal in order to get it for free. What are some of these parents TEACHING these kids? Is this why it's almost as dangerous to drive on the expressway as it is to skate at the rink? Is this what society is going to continue being like in the future, only changing to get worse and worse?

I don't think anyone *intends* to be a bad parent. I think it just happens.
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #31
fireproof

Maybe if they don't "intend" on being a good parent,,,,,don't be one at all.
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #32
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireproof View Post
My thought was that I would use skating as exercise for my wife and myself. I use to lift weights 4 nights a week in my early thirties as well as swim a mile a week but at age 51 I'm just not going to work out if it isn't fun like skating. Now after a couple months, I'm seeing the pit falls of it as the kids spoil the time I spend there. My wife was skating pretty good the first couple times out and a couple weeks ago I look across the rink and she is pushing herself along the wall like it was her first time. I ask her what the heck she was doing and she said she was afraid of getting knocked down by those kids skating as though they are on speed.
If I see a kid knock my wife down, God have mercy on him or her because they will never be able to walk again and who know what they will be like once they come out of the coma.
I hope you can work through the frustration and find a good place and time to skate. I skate outside whenever possible and save the sessions for the bad weather and winter. I'm a swimmer and a weight lifter too..and about your age..gotta do something to keep the upper body balanced with the lower.
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #33
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Now after a couple months, I'm seeing the pit falls of it as the kids spoil the time I spend there.
Maybe try skating outdoors, on inlines if need be.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #34
Drella
alive with pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post

And no, I don't think it's 'hot' when 12 year olds dress in hooker outfits, but hey, maybe that's just me. God knows I used to dress in some pretty 'out there' stuff in my young hippy days, but it was more of a Janis Joplin type look.

Which was just as provocative for the time, if not considered even more unchaste for the time.
Today, sex is all around us. You cannot turn your head far enough around- to avoid being hit with a barrage of smut.
Just remember, it all started back in the free-lovin days of hippiedom you drum as your salad days...
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #35
fireproof

We are surely still paying for the 60's,,,,,the beginning of the fall.
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #36
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drella View Post
Which was just as provocative for the time, if not considered even more unchaste for the time.
Today, sex is all around us. You cannot turn your head far enough around- to avoid being hit with a barrage of smut.
Just remember, it all started back in the free-lovin days of hippiedom you drum as your salad days...

What do the 60s have to do with you thinking 12 year olds are "hot"?
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #37
BleeckerSt_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drella View Post
You can't really tell someone who lived through an era 'what it was like" back then unless you were actually there and lived it. You seem much younger than that to me.
The hippy movement was more about rebellion, spiritual enlightenment, social betterment, and fixing injustices than it was about sex per se. Sex was one part of the whole bigger picture. Yes we were considered 'wild' in those days but overall we were pretty well mannered and cared about treating others kindly. There were no shopping malls to speak of and we didn't have much money to spend on clothes- I remember we genuinely cared more about fixing the country than about what we were wearing.
Today's kids don't seem to know or care much about politics or social injustices, it's all about consumerism and superficial image... what you wear and how much expensive stuff you have. I hear them talking...all they talk about are the things they have and how cool the things are, who wants to get into whose pants, and how other kids are such losers.

Of course this is a generalization-- there are still many kids out there who are not like that and are delightful people to be around. They get involved with the world around them and try to make it better.

Yeah I know I sound like an old fuddy duddy but actually my wild youth was not so long ago that I don't remember it vividly.

Quote:
Drum? I'm not 'drumming' anything. I just grew up during that time. We should remember that every generation has its 'wild youth'. It did not all start in the 60s! The 50's had it's Rebels without Causes and Elvis rockers, the 20's had its wild flappers and bobbed hair Charleston girls, the 40's had it's daring pants-wearing women rebels and jitterbuggers. Every generation has its 'wild' rebels. Even the Romans wrote about their generation of wild rebellious youth and how shocking it was.
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #38
Tuesday Girl

Quote:
Now after a couple months, I'm seeing the pit falls of it as the kids spoil the time I spend there.
Fireproof,

Do you have ANY adult only sessions available? If not, you've got to BEG and PLEAD for some. The more I read about kid sessions the more I am SO thankful and spoiled for all the sessions our 5 rinks offer around here. Well, two don't, but the other three provide plenty!

What a treat to skate with adults only. Yeah, you get the adult parties with the rookies that can't skate and wipe out, but you don't have all that other chaos. Man, I think I'm glad my kids don't want to skate with me! Then I'd have to skate in that cesspool!
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #39
Drella
alive with pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
What do the 60s have to do with you thinking 12 year olds are "hot"?

A point that you're making all on your own my friend. Don't project your sickness unto others.
No where in my post was the words that you posted above. Now if you would like to carry this further, I suggest you find someone else who shares in your illness. Thank-you...
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #40
fireproof

There are three rinks around me. The one I've been taking about is 35 min. away and only have skating Friday night for 13 and under, Sat. night 6-11.
The one that is just up the road from me has Friday night Sat. afternoon and evening and Sun afternoon, a couple of those are for 13 and under.
The last one is about 30 min. away and they do have a adult skate Thurs. night from 9-11... When I have to be up at 5:00 a.m. on Friday, that does not work for me, I'm in bed by 9:30,,,,,,,,,,,,,remember,,,I'm old.