S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old December 21st, 2007, 05:12 PM   #61
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper Montana View Post
Rg,
Is anyone else thinking "splat" when they look at that picture? Too funny!
I'm thinking "compacted vertebrae". And "where are her skates?" :-)
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:22 PM   #62
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

I like to think I'm stressed but happy most of the time. I tend not to let stuff bother me. Most skaters I know are "free spirits" and tend to be pretty laid back.
Things that make me really happy skating are;

A kid I coach winning a race.

Jammin old skool.

I almost hate to say it, but when a young kid at the rink, that can skate good, messes with some big jerk that can't skate at all. That cracks me up.
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:01 PM   #63
masterd

Default What makes you happy

Past Skater,

That's some deep stuff.
masterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:22 AM   #64
streetsk8r

I look at that photo and think - get out of the way!

Modern day Abbott and Costello.

I'm slow to finish but quick to start - RHCP
streetsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #65
online inline

I have to say, exercise and cross-training makes me happy. I'm becoming addicted to the cross-training. Today is the first day in almost a week where it looks like it will dry out enough to actually skate on dry asphalt (i don't skate wnen it's the least bit wet), and all i can think of is how i can squeeze two workouts in - the gym and the skating (if it dries out).
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #66
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
I have to say, exercise and cross-training makes me happy. I'm becoming addicted to the cross-training. Today is the first day in almost a week where it looks like it will dry out enough to actually skate on dry asphalt (i don't skate wnen it's the least bit wet), and all i can think of is how i can squeeze two workouts in - the gym and the skating (if it dries out).

So what all do you do for cross training? Now that I have a job, I could check out a gym, just in two months, I wont go lol.
Old December 24th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #67
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
So what all do you do for cross training? Now that I have a job, I could check out a gym, just in two months, I wont go lol.
that's okay if you drop off in two months, if this period is geared to specific goals. For me, this is the off-season, so i work on strength and core.
One day per week is core in which i do Abs like Juan workout from Bont site, plus hundreds of back extensions, leg lifts,etc.
Another day will be leg weights and plyometrics.
Another day is endurance in which i spin for a minimum of one hour, and actually work in about 15 intervals for good measure
Rotate between these and work in as much skating outdoors as weather allows. Adjust the routine depending on hwat the skating sessions tell me i need to work on.
In a nutshell, that's it, though it is much more complicated than that, in that each workout actually develops over the course of the winter.
In the skate season of Spring and summer and early fall, i will do the strength training and core training at least once per week so I won't lose what i've gained.
Old December 25th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #68
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
that's okay if you drop off in two months, if this period is geared to specific goals. For me, this is the off-season, so i work on strength and core.
One day per week is core in which i do Abs like Juan workout from Bont site, plus hundreds of back extensions, leg lifts,etc.
Another day will be leg weights and plyometrics.
Another day is endurance in which i spin for a minimum of one hour, and actually work in about 15 intervals for good measure
Rotate between these and work in as much skating outdoors as weather allows. Adjust the routine depending on hwat the skating sessions tell me i need to work on.
In a nutshell, that's it, though it is much more complicated than that, in that each workout actually develops over the course of the winter.
In the skate season of Spring and summer and early fall, i will do the strength training and core training at least once per week so I won't lose what i've gained.
Wow, thanks! I just printed all those core exercises on the Bont site, nice site!! Now that I cant go to the gym, I need to get myself organized here. I feel I need to do lots of core and aerobic, especially high intensity stuff. I guess I could buy some passes at the fitness center to get me through the 2 ugly months here. My knees almost healed cause then I will do plyos once a week! I think I can still get in 3 sessions a week on my skates, hopefully somehow more...
Old December 25th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #69
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
... Now that I cant go to the gym, I need to get myself organized here. I feel I need to do lots of core and aerobic, especially high intensity stuff. I guess I could buy some passes at the fitness center to get me through the 2 ugly months here. ...
The funny thing is, you (and i) have everything we need to become a really well conditioned skater without ever entering the gym. Everything you need, you already have. Few if any of the plyometrics and land drills involve weights. The Abs like Juan routine will give you fantastic core conditioning and all you need is an exercise matt ($11.).

You might want to get one of those big gym balls- the kind you can do sit-ups on. A couple of dumbbells might help for squats. A bench to work off of is great for many things. And so on. Jumping rope is very good too. If you have a bicycle, there's a wonderful cross-training tool for skaters.

I spend a lot of time at the gym this time of year, but the vast majority of it is stuff i could just as easily do at home. And i like that - it's not a world class training environment that makes the athlete, it's their resolve.
Old December 26th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #70
MachV

Knowing the days will start to get longer now.

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #71
evilzzz

I tend to think that yes, we skaters ARE happier people.

But I think it is because we are generally happier people that we choose to skate, and not that it is the skating that makes up happier.

A miserable person will always be miserable and do whatever they do, and by the same token happy, carefree and expressive people will find a way to express themselves.
evilzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:53 PM   #72
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Anything that makes the voices stop nagging me, makes me happy.

Skating often works, although sometimes it doesn't.

Drawing/painting often works too, at least until I have to explain why I created what I did...

Who knew that cheese was dangerous?
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote