S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old August 13th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #1
WilliesPop

Default SEDS = disgusting consumerism

i recently crossed a thread about someones new skates, and in the back ground were hundreds of wheels, dozens of plates, and much more. after working in a skate shop, i know that wasnt someones shop supply, it was personal.

1000.00 of dollors spent on stuff that if its lucky will get used once, but more than likely is just there for bling

is this how people make themselves feel better?

are they compensating for something?

are they just single and wealthy?

is there any good excuse for buying crap your just gonna look at?

i admit, at one point i had 4-5 sets of wheels, but i wasnt keeping them, i would sell the last set wheni found ones that worked better, now i have the ones i like, a set on each pair of skates, and no spares, none on the shelf. i 2 sets of skates, but i skate them both alot.

i think......SEDS is BS consumerism and people that need THINGS to make themselves feel better(worthy???)

its gross

ok start your **** tossing.........
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #2
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

It can be called SEDS, it can be called Compulsive hoarding (or pathological collecting) (which seems to be a real issue).

Some people want these things because of SEDS reasons, such as I had it as a kid and would like it again. I'm like that, i wish I could have a set of everything I use to have... but then I'd just be trying to relive those days too.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, so I wont put yours down at all. I agree to a point when people buy up all of a particular item and the market is out of them (such as Deanos/deano hubs - and no i'm not talking about anyone in particular). I felt the same way somewhat about Fan Jets when I started skating again and saw people's collections and everyone asked $250+ for them, but then Craig and Richie came along and fixed that issue for me.
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #3
HK47
Roll Player

Some people collect porcelain plates, figurines, models and stuff. Often those cost of that is comparable. My apprentice at work has a house full of various old computers and game consoles ... most people in the first world waste money on stupid things, waste food, damage their own bodies with various substances, and live through a futile meaningless existence on this small lump of rock thats hurtling randomly through space.

So, to summarize, whats your point?
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Okay, I'll bite.
I'll take a guess and say you are talking about one of my posts?
Though you could be talking about Doc, or a bunch of other people on here.

As per usual, you are the one slinging mud, I doubt this will surprise anyone on here.

I have craploads of wheels, some I got from you! All except two or three sets get used so I don't really see what your problem with that is?

I have a lot more, but they are all on Derby girls skates so they can skate something decent.
I'm by no means wealthy, quite the opposite, but I am happy to loan out, or give away wheels at my own cost.
If they don't get used by me or my family members I try to find them a good home.
Again, I'm struggling to see your problem with this?

Plates? two of the pairs I have, I have skated and have boots for them to go onto so I can skate them again, 1 pair I got thinking it was a different size, And the other pair are waiting for my Son to grow into, Or they will end up with someone who needs them. Once again, I don't understand your problem with this?
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #5
the california kid

Default This is one of those threads..........

That should of only been a thought.......Not a reality.....A Mudslinging......$hit throwing......all out call to arms......I am glad I did not start.....
the california kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliesPop View Post
i recently crossed a thread about someones new skates, and in the back ground were hundreds of wheels, dozens of plates, and much more. after working in a skate shop, i know that wasnt someones shop supply, it was personal.

1000.00 of dollors spent on stuff that if its lucky will get used once, but more than likely is just there for bling

i admit, at one point i had 4-5 sets of wheels, but i wasnt keeping them, i would sell the last set wheni found ones that worked better, now i have the ones i like, a set on each pair of skates, and no spares, none on the shelf. i 2 sets of skates, but i skate them both alot.

i think......SEDS is BS consumerism and people that need THINGS to make themselves feel better(worthy???)

its gross

Couldn't agree more. Caught myself being pulled into that orbit. At the time I had 5 sets of wheels and two pairs of skates. Sold everything except one pair of skates and one extra set of wheels that I use on a different floor. I skate three different floors and one set of wheels work great on two of those floors.

Who knows why people collect or hoard these skate products the way they do. I recently tried to buy a set of wheels, just to see if they skate better than the ones I have, from a SkateLogger who admittedly don't skate them and wont skate them because the wheels are too hard and the SkateLogger is too light-weight to put enough pressure on the wheels to keep from sliding around when they skate them. But they won't sell those wheels. Go figure.

I only have what I need to skate and when that becomes marginal I get something else.
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
Okay, I'll bite.
I'll take a guess and say you are talking about one of my posts?
Though you could be talking about Doc, or a bunch of other people on here.

As per usual, you are the one slinging mud, I doubt this will surprise anyone on here.

I have craploads of wheels, some I got from you! All except two or three sets get used so I don't really see what your problem with that is?

I have a lot more, but they are all on Derby girls skates so they can skate something decent.
I'm by no means wealthy, quite the opposite, but I am happy to loan out, or give away wheels at my own cost.
If they don't get used by me or my family members I try to find them a good home.
Again, I'm struggling to see your problem with this?

Plates? two of the pairs I have, I have skated and have boots for them to go onto so I can skate them again, 1 pair I got thinking it was a different size, And the other pair are waiting for my Son to grow into, Or they will end up with someone who needs them. Once again, I don't understand your problem with this?
I don't think they're talking about Doc. Doc provides a skate service. If I need to purchase that service I'd like to know that Doc has the experience with the product I need service with. Who wouldn't?
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
I don't think they're talking about Doc. Doc provides a skate service. If I need to purchase that service I'd like to know that Doc has the experience with the product I need service with. Who wouldn't?
If you read my post you would have seen that I thought he was talking about a thread I started.

I happen to build a lot of skates for Derby girls over here, So I like to know what I am talking about when they ask me about skates and skate gear.

Aside from all of that, This thread has one purpose only, and that id to start a fight.
What is the point in that?
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #9
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Aside from all of that, This thread has one purpose only, and that id to start a fight.
Only if you take it personal. Dont, and no fight is started. It can then be kept as a discussion.
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #10
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolltitan View Post
Only if you take it personal. Dont, and no fight is started. It can then be kept as a discussion.
That would be fine, the problem is that there is no discussion point!
He made a completely ignorant, uninformed statement about someone's skates and then went on to ask if it was an attempt to make themselves feel worthy!
I don't see where the discussion point is?
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #11
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

If you wanted to enter a discussion, the "Why do I have so much stuff" response would be the easiest.

And you answered that in that you help others a lot, loaning gear, and you like to test things before giving advice to others about a product.

To me, that is 2 very good, very valid reasons to have a lot of skate gears.
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
If you wanted to enter a discussion, the "Why do I have so much stuff" response would be the easiest.

And you answered that in that you help others a lot, loaning gear, and you like to test things before giving advice to others about a product.

To me, that is 2 very good, very valid reasons to have a lot of skate gears.
Thanks, I just stated honestly how it works in my case.
I don't really think there was a question in the OP, but if this answered whatever he had a problem with, then I'm happy and so should he be.
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #13
CanadianCowbell

I have to admit that the big issue to me is why does it matter what anyone else has or doesn't have? I mean I have dozens of shoes, some I have only worn once with no real intention to wear again but I like to keep them around because I might one day have a need for them and feel it is better to have it and not need as opposed to need it and not have it.
CanadianCowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #14
Dec8rSk8r

Quote:
i recently crossed a thread about someones new skates, and in the back ground were hundreds of wheels, dozens of plates, and much more.
Where is it? I want to see!

I really enjoy seeing other people's skate collections on here, and I think it's nice that they take their time to gather up their stuff for a picture for other people's enjoyment. If you don't like it, just don't look at those threads.

I feel like other people's possessions are their own business and they don't have to justify their equipment to anyone on here. Whether they actually skate all that stuff, use it as a mantelpiece, buy it as an investment, or they stick it up their butts, it's their business.

Are you jealous of Big Nick or someone else's collection? I believe that's called "skatred".
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #15
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
If you read my post you would have seen that I thought he was talking about a thread I started.

I happen to build a lot of skates for Derby girls over here, So I like to know what I am talking about when they ask me about skates and skate gear.

What is the point in that?
I don't know what the point is. Didn't mean to get on anyone's bad side. I surely don't want an internet ass whipping. Just thought I would mention that I didn't think he was referring to Doc that's all. By saying that I wasn't calling you out was I?
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #16
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
Where is it? I want to see!

I really enjoy seeing other people's skate collections on here, and I think it's nice that they take their time to gather up their stuff for a picture for other people's enjoyment. If you don't like it, just don't look at those threads.

I feel like other people's possessions are their own business and they don't have to justify their equipment to anyone on here. Whether they actually skate all that stuff, use it as a mantelpiece, buy it as an investment, or they stick it up their butts, it's their business.

Are you jealous of Big Nick or someone else's collection? I believe that's called "skatred".
Now this response looks like it's trying to start something... with all the smiles in the undertone...
Old August 13th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #17
Dec8rSk8r

Quote:
Now this response looks like it's trying to start something... with all the smiles in the undertone...
Not really, since I thought the can of worms had already been opened. What I said is just my opinion for what it's worth, and that's probably not very damn much.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #18
shesk8

I don't consider myself a hoarder, yet have skates for each discipline I do: inline speed, freestyle/slalom, inline teaching (rec skates with brake), quad, ice short track, and long track.... that's 6 prs already. Plus, a couple of older, retired skates that I cannot seem to part with for sentimental reasons (first inline speedskates from competing a2a race, first ice speedskates purchased used from a former Olympian, first rollerblade's - where it all started). I have sold off a bit of old gently used gear, and do loan out the old gear I retain to friends, so they get some use.

Confused, as I am not sure the point of the opening discussion. Why do you immediately presume someones photo is displayed as a grasp for self worth and make statement insinuating the stuff people chose to own/posses/keep is "crap" if they do not use it. And, how do you know they do not actually use this stuff? If people wish to "collect" skates and not resell or toss things away why is that such an issue? Whether or not they use them, sell them, or just let them collect dust is still their choice. I have friends who own 4-5 nice road cycles, some upwards of $5K carbon bikes, and 12 prs of skis, but they used to ski and cycle race, and still use the stuff. I see nothing wrong or assume any opinions about that. There is a thread on "Show us your Skates".... personally, I love to see the pics and to know what other people skate, their opinions of their gear, and what they have come to value in skates.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #19
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default whatever tickles your pickle

Quote:

its gross

As long as they are not using my tax dollars to buy it, or rather using my tax dollars to subsidize food/rent to buy more skate swag, I don't mind

I personally subscribe to the 73Watermutt method of buy/try/sell, although my turnover rate is much slower then his . I don't like to have to many things hanging around, I must have a "favorite" and stick with it, and sell the rest. If I buy something new I try it, and decide if I like the old or new better and sell/donate the other, but that is proabably some sort of mental disorder too, I mean I literally have a favorite of everything I own, and hardly ever use the rest.

One issue, I HATE clutter, and if something has been sittin in a box/shelf for 2years because you have many others of a similar thing you prefer I sell/donate the rest. Family thinks I am nuts, I have a full 44'x24' attic I refuse to use, I tell them that ladder is a one way street. If we need more space in the garage/basement then throw out/sell/donate the stuff we don't use.

After college I lived with a guy who always rented the same size uhaul, the van style, not box truck. Whenever he moved he would never take more than what he could fit in one van load, any extra junk got left behind, from a pure volume standpoint he never left with more than he came with
pjmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #20
Finn 427

One statement, "jealousy is a curse". The last part of the word is Lousy