S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old August 5th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #1
tido

Default Seba FR1, High, TriX weights?

Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a pair of skates, but would like to know the weight of each. Do you guys know what the weights of these skates or where I could find them? I'm a newb to skating, but would like to use the skates for free riding and some slalom. I assume the weight of the skate makes a big difference? Can't try them on first, so I'd like to do some research. Also any thoughts on the Twister 80s?
tido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Shaw

I don't have specific weights for the skates, but I'm pretty sure highs are the heaviest, FRs being slightly lighter, and Trix being much lighter (nearly half the weight of highs).

Weight isn't as important as you might think though. Highs are a very good all-around skate, and well suited for slalom, but they're also notoriously heavy. Some people view this as a good thing, as it develops leg strength for when you do switch to a high-end carbon fiber skate.

Twisters are decent skates as well, but probably not as well suited for slalom as highs/trix. They might be the best option if they fit your feet, but that doesn't seem to be an option for you. Another option you might want to look into are Powerslide S4s or EVOs.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #3
tido

Thanks for the reply Shaw. I'm looking into mostly doing free ride skating, and some slalom. I will take a look at the Powerslide S4s also.

Just found the weight of the Powersilde S4s of inlinewarehouse. I'll ask them for the weights of the other skates.
tido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #4
jipe

When comparing the weight of the skates, take into account that the weight of the wheels has a big influence on the total weight and can be very different for different models of wheels. The best is to look at the weight of the boots since the wheels must sooner or later be replaced (soon in case of free ride) and frames can easily be exchanged.

I can give you the weight of some Seba's (boot weight, without frame and wheels):
- Seba High boot 2005/2006 model (so the previous one, the current one is slightly heavier) : 1260g (per boot, size 43).
- Seba KSJ WCE 2010 (very similar to the Trix): 840g (per boot, size 43).
- Seba High Carbon 2010 (with carbon cuff): 1030g (per boot, size 43).
- Seba iGor 2009: 1019g (per boot, size 43).

From my experience, you don't feel that much the weight difference between the High and High Carbon but the weight difference between the High and KSJ is very noticeable.

I don't have the weight of the FR1 but it should be between the iGor and High. Note that latest FR1 has a new shell that should weight leass than the previous model.

About the Powerslide: the HC Evo boot weight is similar to the Seba KSJ/Trix. The latest model has a magnesium frame not well suited for free ride. The S4 boot is heavier but not that much and the S4 has an aluminum frame.

The FR1 is a real free ride boot and less a slalom boot.

The HC Evo, S4, Trix and KSJ are more slalom boot and less strong may be not the best for hard core free ride.

Note that the construction of the KSJ, Trix, HC Evo and S4 is very different from the one of the High, High Carbon and FR1: the later have a removable liner while the others are an integrated construction the liner and shell being one piece. The removable liner can be washed and replaced but it makes the boots heavier and the less responsive/efficient.

The iGor boot is probably the best for a dual use slalom+free ride. In case of the iGor you should only consider the latest model (black with some red, not the silver one) because the inner material is much stronger/durable.

The latest HC Evo and iGor come with a rockered frame, obviously the best for slalom use but less suited for other practices.
jipe is offline   Reply With Quote