S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Nellie
Senior Member
 
Nellie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 210
Default Slalom on quads?

Hi everyone,

I used the search function, but couldn't really find much information, so I joined just to ask this:
Do any of you do slalom on quads and if so, how are your skates set up?

I've been trying to learn slalom for some months, together with some people who are all on inlines - and MUCH better than me. I've learned the basics, but found that I can only do most tricks in a line with 120 cm spacing (e.g. criss-cross, fish, snake). Whenever I find a trick difficult to do, I start wondering if it's the quads or me, e.g. I wonder if it's possible to do the forward turns in a grapevine with all wheels on the ground on quads.
My skates are a pair of cheapish artistic skates and a pair of Starway trainer quads, both with very loose trucks and soft bushings.

I'd really appreciate any tips or information you can give me!!
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Rink Rat
Rhythm Skater
 
Rink Rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: D.C.U.S.A.
Posts: 210
Default

This thread at another website might be helpful...

http://www.serpentineroad.com/viewto...slalom#p462306
Rink Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:35 PM   #3
rollman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 181
Default

http://www.rollerquad.net/
Ask the guys on the forum, even if you don't speak french you will still get answers.

The french customs are usually basketball shoe with short plate.
rollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Nellie
Senior Member
 
Nellie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 210
Default Thanks!!

I've actually asked the same on serpentineroad, too, and I also tried to ask in the French forum (although - as you guessed correctly - I don't speak French at all) - I couldn't register, however.
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #5
Madcow
Senior Member
 
Madcow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 685
Default

It's the quads. I'm planning on buying Seba Highs at the beginning of next year so I can get better at slalom.
__________________
Bill
Madcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Madcow
Senior Member
 
Madcow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix Az
Posts: 685
Default

Nellie, I asked Naomi about doing slalom on quads. She told me when she first started she lost to someone on quads.
Naomi is going to have workshops soon check this thread to see if she's having one close to you.
__________________
Bill
Madcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #7
stacy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 57
Default

My sense has always been that slalom can be done on quads, but it's generally easier on inlines, and especially the more advanced tricks that are hip right now. I have seen some video of impressive quad slalom skates, but those are all years old now, so I've assumed that quad skaters either lose interest in slalom, or transition to inlines.
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #8
khail71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 234
Default sorry for the edited quote.... but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy View Post
quad skaters transition to inlines.

Blasphemy!!!!!!
__________________
---my skates and my parachute go in the same bag---
khail71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #9
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer
 
Elysarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lincoln, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khail71 View Post
Blasphemy!!!!!!
If I'd posted that I'd have said:

"Quad skaters defect to inlines"



Personally though, having seen what some people can do on quads, I can't see any reason why a skilled skater couldn't do slalom on them.

This thread makes me think of the evian commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQcVllWpwGs (about 49 seconds in)
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 05:41 AM   #10
Uma Plata
ninja in training
 
Uma Plata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 92
Default

Certainly, if babies can do it, we can too

I play roller derby and fell in love with watching slalom videos a couple months ago. Although, I'm not that great, just practicing with the cones really helps me move better within the pack. It has also helped me spin out of some hairy situations. I have an injury and can't skate right now, but once I'm back, I plan on making slalom on quads a weekly part of my training. Please post any useful info you have....Thanks!

Also, I am using a Radar Devil Ray 44mm, do you think when I'm skating the cones a more narrow wheel would be more appropriate?
__________________
Demolition City Roller Derby / Cobras Speed Team
http://www.myspace.com/demolitioncity
http://www.demolitioncityrollerderby.com/
Uma Plata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #11
Nellie
Senior Member
 
Nellie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 210
Default

Hi Uma,
this is what I've been told by the French quad skate Gods . It has helped me a lot!!http://www.rollerquad.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2185
It's on the French forum, but the thread is in English
My wheels are a lot narrower than yours (3-3.5 cm). I use small rubber wheels in the gym and 62mm Krypto Routes outside.
@Madcow: Thank you very much for asking Naomi for me!!

Last edited by Nellie; April 6th, 2010 at 08:25 PM.
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #12
Naomi
Member
 
Naomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Everywhere and nowhere
Posts: 96
Default

oh yeah, the French slalom quad Gods! Definitely the correct people to speak to! A Swiss skater called Alexander does (did?) some amazing slalom too. Really really good.

One of the skaters on my Miami slalom retreat this year was on quads, but they were quadlines so had inline wheels with an artistic boot.

Whatever your setup, good luck!
Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #13
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 7,996
Default

A better quad could do wonders, I think. I am on a short forward mount. My plate is a Sure-Grip Magnum White with the new DA45 trucks and I am currently using Sure-Grip Power Plus wheels, a speed wheel 42mmx62mm.

Now I am just a middle aged recreational indoor session skater, but I do like to slalom. Let me tell you, this plate can TURN. But more than just turning, it snaps back quick to go the other way. The new urethane cushions combined with the double action trucks have really produced a magic combination.

I would say that I am an advanced intermediate skater and I am sure I could do 120cm at a pretty reasonable clip. I could probably do even better with a 40 or 38mm wide wheel. Now I don't have experience with a lot of different plates, just a Resistor, Rock, and now my Magnum, but DocSk8 has. He is the Guru of quad skates around these parts and he says that the Sure-Grip 45* plates with the DA45 trucks are the bomb for turning and quick response. And reasonably priced.

My own experience is that this plate turns a LOT better than my old Rock plate. Do a search on DA45 Review to find out more.

Maybe I will try to get a little more serious about slaloming, even though I am just into skating for fun and fitness. Do folks do it backwards? I do most of my skating backward, and I am basically better going backwards than forwards.

An XK-4 or Magnum, if a Magnum is available in your size, can be had for $150ish. I would really get a kick out of seeing someone who is pursuing slalom with some seriousness get a DA45 setup a see how it stacks up in the slalom world. I think if any quad could hold it own in slalom, a DA45 would be it. Those who know in Derby are using these plates, and more and more are getting converted. Food for thought.

Oh, and after checking what you said you were skating, quad wise, those skate would not REMOTELY compare to a DA45.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 04:13 AM   #14
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default

I finally found this thread.
I am just learning slalom on quads.
I also initially found my quads didn't turn enough to track the cone spacing that the inliners can easily handle.
Solution => re-invent my quad truck suspension to DOUBLE how sharply they can now turn!
I now have plates that can track on the arc of a circle with a radius somewhere between 18" and 12" WITH ALL WHEELS DOWN! BTW, these are NOT fancy plates - they are SG Nova plates with a STEEP kingpin, and they will outperform almost any DA-45 plate setup.

To accomplish this much improvement required a complete makeover - new trucks with adjustable pivot pins, new longer kingpins, and an exotic new cushion scheme using three 92A Red SG Super Cones per truck - two above in hourglass stack, and one cone below truck, but reversed so that cone point goes against truck. The resulting extreme turn response is so far beyond what I ever imagined this long plate (7.5" on a size 10 shoe) could produce, that you would not believe it could possibly even be the same plate.

Even without doing the truck swap, just installing the four reversed super cones on the bottom of the trucks (cost $4) will give you such a boost in turning capability that you will say it is the best $4 you ever spent on your skates.

In addition to these, I'll be posting additional detailed PICs shortly.

Still can fit my finger between wheels and plate.:


Hourglass scheme:


Without changing trucks - just a reversed cone and softer barrel cushions


-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #15
Nellie
Senior Member
 
Nellie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
A better quad could do wonders, I think. I am on a short forward mount. My plate is a Sure-Grip Magnum White with the new DA45 trucks and I am currently using Sure-Grip Power Plus wheels, a speed wheel 42mmx62mm.

Now I am just a middle aged recreational indoor session skater, but I do like to slalom. Let me tell you, this plate can TURN. But more than just turning, it snaps back quick to go the other way. The new urethane cushions combined with the double action trucks have really produced a magic combination.

I would say that I am an advanced intermediate skater and I am sure I could do 120cm at a pretty reasonable clip. I could probably do even better with a 40 or 38mm wide wheel. Now I don't have experience with a lot of different plates, just a Resistor, Rock, and now my Magnum, but DocSk8 has. He is the Guru of quad skates around these parts and he says that the Sure-Grip 45* plates with the DA45 trucks are the bomb for turning and quick response. And reasonably priced.

My own experience is that this plate turns a LOT better than my old Rock plate. Do a search on DA45 Review to find out more.

Maybe I will try to get a little more serious about slaloming, even though I am just into skating for fun and fitness. Do folks do it backwards? I do most of my skating backward, and I am basically better going backwards than forwards.

An XK-4 or Magnum, if a Magnum is available in your size, can be had for $150ish. I would really get a kick out of seeing someone who is pursuing slalom with some seriousness get a DA45 setup a see how it stacks up in the slalom world. I think if any quad could hold it own in slalom, a DA45 would be it. Those who know in Derby are using these plates, and more and more are getting converted. Food for thought.

Oh, and after checking what you said you were skating, quad wise, those skate would not REMOTELY compare to a DA45.
Hi rufusprime,
more than two years on I've finally been able to test this theory. (When you gave me this advice, no DA45 plates were available in Germany and I would have had to pay extortionate shipping costs.)
Last week I put narrow wheels (Bones Powell 93a) on my short-forward mounted Invaders and brought them to slalom training:
They worked fine, but were no great improvement over the French Lazer plates I usually skate for slalom now. You could argue that the Invaders still have purple cushions in them (trucks set 1/4 turn from 'rattley loose') and that they're bound to be less turny with narrower wheels, though.
However, one thing I did notice with the DA45s from the beginning (set up for derby with wide 'standard' wheels) was that they made skating backwards a lot easier and much more fun. There was one trick I could suddenly do last week that I hadn't been able to do before, but I don't know if that was due to the plates or just practice/luck - will have to try it with my other plates.
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #16
HK47
Roll Player
 
HK47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere near London
Posts: 4,311
Default

Narrow wheels does not equal less turny

I have started slowly getting parts together for a French style pair of skates for slalom, the recommendation seems to be for short, mid-mounted plates, with quite hard action. It'll be a while coming though ...
__________________
"You guys better git some HEAD TRANSPLANTS QUICK! " ~ Okie
HK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #17
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 7,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
Hi rufusprime,
more than two years on I've finally been able to test this theory. (When you gave me this advice, no DA45 plates were available in Germany and I would have had to pay extortionate shipping costs.)
Last week I put narrow wheels (Bones Powell 93a) on my short-forward mounted Invaders and brought them to slalom training:
They worked fine, but were no great improvement over the French Lazer plates I usually skate for slalom now. You could argue that the Invaders still have purple cushions in them (trucks set 1/4 turn from 'rattley loose') and that they're bound to be less turny with narrower wheels, though.
However, one thing I did notice with the DA45s from the beginning (set up for derby with wide 'standard' wheels) was that they made skating backwards a lot easier and much more fun. There was one trick I could suddenly do last week that I hadn't been able to do before, but I don't know if that was due to the plates or just practice/luck - will have to try it with my other plates.
Funny. I saw this thread pop up with new posts and decided to read it. I totally forgot that I had even posted here.

Congrats on the DA45's. I am still skating mine, and I usually skate backwards.

I have not really improved my trick slalom much, but I have improved in regular slalom. I can now do a VERY tight, and pretty fast, forward, feet side by side slalom. I like to practice doing this backwards as well. Just for kicks. I am now skating a Bont/Invader with yellow cushions.

The Bont was helpful over my old Rebel. There is NO slop in the boot, good for slalom. On that forward slalom, I am working mainly on the rear outside axle with each cut while lifting the toe. The effect is like looking at a skier coming down the mountain with quick side to side movements. Very much like an inline slalom, but with the tiny (by comparison) wheel base of a short plate quad. The stiff heel cup in the Bont makes doing this a pleasure. I can't quite duplicate the precision of the Bont when I skate my Rebel.

I am not familiar with your other plate, but I am coming around to the conclusion that for trick slalom, it does not matter. Trick stuff requires being up on one axle, so the raw turning ability that a 45 plate has over a 10 degree plate does not come into play as much as I once thought. For my parallel foot slalom, the 45 would SLAY a 10 degree plate, but just doing that ONE thing. (Despite the fact that I am mostly cutting on the rear axle, I am still depending on the 45's extra turning ability. I am only on the rear axle briefly at the extreme outside points of the movement, and the rest is the 45 helping me out.) Overall, for trick slalom, it is probably more the skater than the skate. Plus a mount short/long, forward/rear that WORKS for that particular skater.

I just got some Seba FRX's myself, but I have not set aside any time to get acclimated to inline again. (I have only skated them once. ) I got them so I could skate something that will not irritate my bad left ankle. That bad ankle is also what keeps me from pursuing much trick stuff on quads. The time I did skate the inlines, my bad ankle was quite happy for the support of the boot. My thinking was that I would eventually transition to skate the inlines more than the quads, but that hasn't happened yet.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #18
Nellie
Senior Member
 
Nellie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
I can now do a VERY tight, and pretty fast, forward, feet side by side slalom. ... On that forward slalom, I am working mainly on the rear outside axle with each cut while lifting the toe. The effect is like looking at a skier coming down the mountain with quick side to side movements. Very much like an inline slalom, but with the tiny (by comparison) wheel base of a short plate quad. The stiff heel cup in the Bont makes doing this a pleasure. I can't quite duplicate the precision of the Bont when I skate my Rebel.

I am not familiar with your other plate, but I am coming around to the conclusion that for trick slalom, it does not matter. Trick stuff requires being up on one axle, so the raw turning ability that a 45 plate has over a 10 degree plate does not come into play as much as I once thought. For my parallel foot slalom, the 45 would SLAY a 10 degree plate, but just doing that ONE thing. (Despite the fact that I am mostly cutting on the rear axle, I am still depending on the 45's extra turning ability. I am only on the rear axle briefly at the extreme outside points of the movement, and the rest is the 45 helping me out.)
Hey, rufusprime - cool that you saw this and replied . If I understand you right, what you describe is called a "fish", a basic trick I do as a warm-up every time I skate slalom. I do it like you, with most of my weight on the rear axles, and the DA-45s didn't seem to make a difference with this trick, either.
I also agree that the kind of plate - 45 or 10/15 degree - does not matter for freestyle slalom.

@ HK: It was just a guess that with slimmer wheels there'd be less leverage on the trucks. Maybe the Invaders simply felt less turny than when I first got them because I'd got used to them in the meantime? I don't know.
Quote:
the recommendation seems to be for short, mid-mounted plates, with quite hard action.
Yes, that's exactly what I was told on the French forum and what I've been skating since then. On my outdoor slalom quads the plates are more forward, though. By now I've also come to think the action doesn't need to be all that hard unless you want to be on a single wheel's outer edge a lot of the time. I've got cushions around 82A in my 10 and 15 degree plates for slalom; the top cushions are a bit harder and the bottom cushions (yellow Sure-Grip cushions in both set-ups, actually) a bit softer. In my Invaders the purple cushions seemed fine for slalom, too. I think it's great that you've started doing slalom too b.t.w. - it so much fun on quads (even if all the beginner tricks are harder to do than on inlines). What kind of boots are you going to use for your slalom skates? French style = basketball boots?
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #19
HK47
Roll Player
 
HK47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere near London
Posts: 4,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
@ HK: It was just a guess that with slimmer wheels there'd be less leverage on the trucks. Maybe the Invaders simply felt less turny than when I first got them because I'd got used to them in the meantime? I don't know.
That would only be the case if you're up on the edges of the wheels, rest of the time there won't be a difference

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I was told on the French forum and what I've been skating since then. On my outdoor slalom quads the plates are more forward, though. By now I've also come to think the action doesn't need to be all that hard unless you want to be on a single wheel's outer edge a lot of the time. I've got cushions around 82A in my 10 and 15 degree plates for slalom; the top cushions are a bit harder and the bottom cushions (yellow Sure-Grip cushions in both set-ups, actually) a bit softer. In my Invaders the purple cushions seemed fine for slalom, too. I think it's great that you've started doing slalom too b.t.w. - it so much fun on quads (even if all the beginner tricks are harder to do than on inlines). What kind of boots are you going to use for your slalom skates? French style = basketball boots?
Interesting, the slalom skates are at the end of a que and are staying top secret However, the next skates I do will be basketball pumps for my girlfriend
__________________
"You guys better git some HEAD TRANSPLANTS QUICK! " ~ Okie
HK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #20
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 7,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
Hey, rufusprime - cool that you saw this and replied . If I understand you right, what you describe is called a "fish", a basic trick I do as a warm-up every time I skate slalom. I do it like you, with most of my weight on the rear axles, and the DA-45s didn't seem to make a difference with this trick, either.
I also agree that the kind of plate - 45 or 10/15 degree - does not matter for freestyle slalom.
Yeah, the fish. That is it. I usually do this toward the end of a skating session, as I do it a bit more intensely than the video. (after 5 or 6 lengths of the floor, my lower back is on fire from the extreme twisting) I get both feet *almost* sideways to the direction of travel (maybe about 150 degrees back and forth) while maintaining a moderate, forward speed. The video is a nice mellow serpentine motion. I often use that mellow motion when casually skating forward. My Fish is more like a pendulum. Tight and very side to side, a lot of hip swing. My hips are also pretty low with knees bent to accommodate the side to side motion. Why so extreme?? Good question. The slalom motion has always been my favorite mode of propulsion on an inline, I use it with quads as well, and I guess I am just trying to see how far I can push it. I do this here and there during a session, but do it in a concentrated manner near the end of session because it is really intense and caps off my night of skating exercise. When done, I skate a dozen more laps to cool down, go take off my skates and stretch.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.