S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old June 18th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #1
uniglider

Default Jumping with FR1's (flat vs rockered)

I have my SEBA highs with a deluxe rockered frame with 80mm wheels, but I don't feel as comfortable jumping with a rockered frame as compared to the flat setup it came with. I'm ordering a pair of FR1's with a deluxe 80mm frame for jumping and city skating. What are you thoughts on jumping on flat and rockered frames?
uniglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #2
GregT

I'm lazy, so I keep rockered setup for jumps, etc. Once you get used to it, it doesn't affect your landings (and footwork on the street skates is way more fun). Of course, I'm not talking huge gaps here - you'd want a flat setup with tiny aggro wheels for that.

If you are talking skatepark, then the ramp transitions are a little more squirrelly rockered, though still doable if you are careful.
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #3
uniglider

Default Thanks for advice

Thanks for the advice. The jumps I do are the occasional bench, curb, garbage can that kind of thing. Nothing too aggressive. I was just curious what people thought of jumping on rockered vs flat setup. I have to admit rockered is better for turning and spinning. I figure with the FR1's I can always rocker them (if I can't use my Highs that is) while keeping the flat setup for jumps and such. Thanks again.
Old August 31st, 2013, 05:25 PM   #4
uniglider

Default Thanks GregT

You're right I do think the rockered setup is best overall. I now keep both my Highs and FR1's rockered at all times. I use 80-84-84-80 on my 84mm frame FR1's and my Highs have the deluxe rockered 80mm frame. It took a little while to adjust (on jumps), now I'm completely comfortable making jumps with the rockered setup (both with 84mm and 80mm frame). I switched to the 84mm frame for the FR1's because I feel it gives me a little more stability on rough terrain. It does take me a few minutes when I put my 110mm Powerslide C8 skates to adjust back to a flat setup (and vice versa), but overall it's working out great.
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #5
GregT

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniglider View Post
You're right I do think the rockered setup is best overall. I now keep both my Highs and FR1's rockered at all times. I use 80-84-84-80 on my 84mm frame FR1's and my Highs have the deluxe rockered 80mm frame. It took a little while to adjust (on jumps), now I'm completely comfortable making jumps with the rockered setup (both with 84mm and 80mm frame). I switched to the 84mm frame for the FR1's because I feel it gives me a little more stability on rough terrain. It does take me a few minutes when I put my 110mm Powerslide C8 skates to adjust back to a flat setup (and vice versa), but overall it's working out great.
The more I think about it, the more I think rockered preferable for most jumps.

Thing is, when you go rockered, your default position is above the center two wheels. I believe this promotes better form, as you adjust your upper body to keep your center of mass (CIM) above the center of the skate frame, so that you don't have unintended shifts to one of the outer, rockered wheels.

This well-centered CIM should also reinforce proper jumping form, where you keep your back arched and chest upright, driving your body upward during the jump instead of forward or backward. Jumping forward or backward is bad, as it can screw with your body position in the air, which can lead to less control on the landing. Instead, you should jump straight up, relying solely on rolling speed before the jump for forward momentum.

This is just me thinking off-the-cuff. I haven't tried any side-by-side comparisons to see if rockered skating form truly does result in better jumps and landings. However, I have done freejump competitions on my rockered Sebas, and the landing never gave me any trouble.
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote