S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old July 1st, 2017, 03:15 PM   #1
ctn7

Default Bigger boots

Hi Doc.
Since I've come back to skating after my divorce I've been using my old skates.Boot size 9 1/2 plate 7" wheel base(15 degree kingpin). From what I've read(and what my toes are teling me) the ligaments in your feet loose elasticity and the foot gets bigger. Going by Riedells size chart I need to move up to a size 10 boot. I also plan on new plates(royals or imperials). Snyder's sizing chart says 7 1/4 WB on a size 10. Should I stay with a 7" WB or
move to a 7 !/4. I relize what ever I do the new plate will skate completely different. All I do is session skate with an attempt at shuffling.
ctn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 04:49 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctn7 View Post
Hi Doc.
Since I've come back to skating after my divorce I've been using my old skates.Boot size 9 1/2 plate 7" wheel base(15 degree kingpin).

Nice conventional mount... What boots??

From what I've read(and what my toes are telling me) the ligaments in your feet lose elasticity and the foot gets bigger.

I would not call that a rule. I have worn 9s since I got out of high school. I'm 65 now.

Going by Riedells size chart I need to move up to a size 10 boot.

And you measured this how?? Going to the chat without an accurate measurement can lead to all sorts of problems.. BTW are your feet the same size?? How about the widths?? For that matter your arch length. All of these things determine where your foot lives in a boot and also dictates where on the boot the plate should be.. If the ball of your foot is not conveniently located above the widest part of your foot, you are on your way to a less than optimum mount if that is not compensated for.

I also plan on new plates(royals or imperials).

What are your current plates?? In any case, may I suggest a Dance Imperial lite?? Or do you require a stop??

Snyder's sizing chart says 7 1/4 WB on a size 10.

Snyders chart say a lot of things I have no agreement w/. They say I should be on a 6 3/4" wheelbase.. Some plate manufactures say I should be on a 7" wheelbase. I have spent a lot of years ignoring the recommendations... Made a lot of sk8rs happy doing so. Including me... size 9s on a 6 1/4" wheelbase.

Should I stay with a 7" WB or move to a 7 !/4.

How about a 6.5" That is typically what I put on size 10s.

I realize what ever I do the new plate will skate completely different. All I do is session skate with an attempt at shuffling.
Since it's not gonna be your old sk8s why are you trying to duplicate them. Go for the gusto.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 01:42 AM   #3
ctn7

The boots I have are Riedell silverstars(dance boots only thing the rink i skated at back then sold).i bought these when i was 36 and am 63 now. My current plates are AE84L atlas. If I put a ruler againt a wall and my foot on top it they both measure 10 7/8". Measuring around the ball of my foot as per Reidells chart 9 7/8". In the last 2 years I've blacken the nail on my right big toe. First time it fell off and grew back, this time it was not as bad. I've tried putting my foot in a narrow street shoe and it won't even go in, so i would say med. width. As far as arch length I have no idea. If I ever wanted to skate backwards again I would want toestops(turned around backwards on ice hockey skates and tried to stop by going up on toestops which of corse don't exist..lol) , right now I jst use plugs. I just can't afford to spend 5-600$'s finding out I can't skate them and put them in the bottom of my closet and leave them there(right next to my $325 Bauer ice hockey skates I bought 20 years ago and used a half dozen times). I would much rather go to someone to work this out. But your a good 7 hours away,most of the rinks around here have teenagers working the pro shops who I don't trust. The boot I've been looking at are 695's. I just don't know what to go with at all, the more I look the more I get frustrated...lol.
ctn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 04:10 AM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default PM time.

Shoot me a PM. I think we can work something out on email or phone.