S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 2nd, 2019, 03:56 PM   #21
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyodinosaur View Post
I think a lot of times when they ban backward skating it is because they don't want all the inexperienced skaters trying to copy the better backward skaters. And I guess I can somewhat understand that since it would lead to a lot of accidents if everyone tried to do what the better skaters do and lacked the knowhow.

But, of course, they can sometimes go way overboard about what they ban.
Kinda hard to be good at something if you aren't allowed to do it.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 05:27 PM   #22
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Kinda hard to be good at something if you aren't allowed to do it.
Pretty freaking ironic. Awwww, beginner skater. We LOVE you.
Oh, now you KNOW how to skate? We HATE you!
WTF?????
Old February 2nd, 2019, 10:14 PM   #23
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Pretty freaking ironic. Awwww, beginner skater. We LOVE you.
Oh, now you KNOW how to skate? We HATE you!
WTF?????
All out of control wanna be skaters welcome, but dont be good at it, or be banned... yep the dumbing down of skating.
Old February 7th, 2019, 12:20 PM   #24
fierocious1

The used wheels I bought are working well. The first day on the floor I was worried though, but the floor was just cold . I started on them and quickly changed to Green Shamans, oooos, they didn't stick well either. High humidity and a cold floor changes things a bit. Also there were a lot of skaters, the floor got wetter as session time passed.
This is the first time I didn't have a set of wheels working in my box.

Last weekend(2nd session on them), conditions were much better and both sets stuck nicely and grip was fine.
Love Shamans... now maybe I should get a set of Red Shamans.
Old February 9th, 2019, 12:13 AM   #25
hoohoorjoo

Quote:
Got wheels today from hoohoorjoo, Thanks! Will load them up this weekend and try them out.
Glad I could help you out. I think those wheels are great, but they just sat after I got my custom Phantom Wides.
hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 12:24 AM   #26
hoohoorjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyodinosaur View Post
But, of course, they can sometimes go way overboard about what they ban.
I visited a rink in Pensacola last year while on vacation. They let me pay for 3 admissions, then waited about 10 minutes and came up to me saying that I cant wear a hat while skating, that it is a trip hazard! Ive been all over the country to well over 100 rinks over the years and I have never heard a rink say that. So they let me in with the hat on my head, never said a word, then told me ONLY after I ripped off a few speed laps. That rule was nowhere in their posted rules, nor on their website. Then they refused to refund me when I left. I BLASTED them on TripAdvisor and Google lol!
hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 06:15 AM   #27
PRFunky

Default hat/cap disallowed rule

Each skate rink has their own set of rules. Some things are really
standard like "never carry children when on skates". There's one
rink I was just at again two nights ago which also has the no hats
on the floor rule. I'm not quite sure of the rule's origin. Could be
people losing hats on the floor or maybe a throwback to the days
of "gang signs"; some gangs used to all wear their caps with the
visor tilted one way so of course the opposing gang tilted their
caps the other way. I haven't seen this kind of behavior since the
mid-eighties but could possibly be a reason for the outlawing of
hats/caps on the skate floor.
PRFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 08:28 AM   #28
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRFunky View Post
Each skate rink has their own set of rules. Some things are really
standard like "never carry children when on skates". There's one
rink I was just at again two nights ago which also has the no hats
on the floor rule. I'm not quite sure of the rule's origin. Could be
people losing hats on the floor or maybe a throwback to the days
of "gang signs"; some gangs used to all wear their caps with the
visor tilted one way so of course the opposing gang tilted their
caps the other way. I haven't seen this kind of behavior since the
mid-eighties but could possibly be a reason for the outlawing of
hats/caps on the skate floor.
I think it was mostly the hat tossing. Most of my California rinks didn't care, but one did. No hats. Then back in the East or was it the Midwest, they had a thing where some Muslim women were turned away, it became a thing, they sued the rink. I don't particularly remember the outcome. I think the rink lost, or gave in and apologized. ?? Anyway, shortly after that, that no hat rink allowed hats again.
Old February 10th, 2019, 11:04 AM   #29
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
I think it was mostly the hat tossing. Most of my California rinks didn't care, but one did. No hats. Then back in the East or was it the Midwest, they had a thing where some Muslim women were turned away, it became a thing, they sued the rink. I don't particularly remember the outcome. I think the rink lost, or gave in and apologized. ?? Anyway, shortly after that, that no hat rink allowed hats again.
the hat rule goes back forever, it was more of a safety thing as somebody could hit a hat and go flying and get hurt
Old February 10th, 2019, 01:42 PM   #30
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
the hat rule goes back forever, it was more of a safety thing as somebody could hit a hat and go flying and get hurt
I was happy, because I liked wearing a cap. Though I did see some kids doing exactly the wrong thing. Playing take away with a cap. Floor guards handled it.
Old February 10th, 2019, 03:08 PM   #31
fierocious1

Default bad stuff happens

Caps/head coverings banned in all rinks I have ever skated. No carrying of little ones(dang, logical), no toys/balls on the floor. I take them when I see them. The only thing they get away with is glow strings/sticks. They fall off all the time and cell phones. I screeecchhh up behind and scare the crap out of them, they aren't paying attention like drivers on the highway. Skate wheels and objects on the floor are not compatible.
Old February 11th, 2019, 02:26 AM   #32
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default Next weekend

We are taking a trip to Sk8 World, in Portage Indiana. Looking forward to a good session there.

Possibly skate some other rinks while out that way, and hopefully not get kicked out or have any incidents lol.

I have worn hats to keep my hair up and tucked away before. When it used to be like 5 feet long. A place called "Champs" in Louisville Kentucky wouldn't let me skate with my hat on. Their reasoning is it could come off or some kid could take it from me while skating. As if anyone was going to snatch it from a strangers head or keep up to catch me at all.. well outside of my group of friends that is lol. They were real pricks about it. They also had a ban on backwards skating.

I have seen kids skate with hats and take them from one another, disrupting traffic on the floor. But adults? Come on...

Anymore our backwards skating is so practiced, it is on par with our forwards skating, hockey stops and all... well some of us I should say. We got newer skaters in our group that are still getting it.
Old February 11th, 2019, 03:35 AM   #33
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
We are taking a trip to Sk8 World, in Portage Indiana. Looking forward to a good session there.

Possibly skate some other rinks while out that way, and hopefully not get kicked out or have any incidents lol.

I have worn hats to keep my hair up and tucked away before. When it used to be like 5 feet long. A place called "Champs" in Louisville Kentucky wouldn't let me skate with my hat on. Their reasoning is it could come off or some kid could take it from me while skating. As if anyone was going to snatch it from a strangers head or keep up to catch me at all.. well outside of my group of friends that is lol. They were real pricks about it. They also had a ban on backwards skating.

I have seen kids skate with hats and take them from one another, disrupting traffic on the floor. But adults? Come on...

Anymore our backwards skating is so practiced, it is on par with our forwards skating, hockey stops and all... well some of us I should say. We got newer skaters in our group that are still getting it.
I skated at Champs years ago. Christpher T met me there. We also met a machinist that did some nice looking axles and retainers.
Old February 11th, 2019, 06:38 AM   #34
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
I skated at Champs years ago. Christpher T met me there. We also met a machinist that did some nice looking axles and retainers.
I was there some years ago as well, maybe not at the same time you were There was a small room we kept our stuff in(the group of skaters) Wes was there. I dont know exactly when it was though.
Old February 12th, 2019, 12:08 AM   #35
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I was there some years ago as well, maybe not at the same time you were There was a small room we kept our stuff in(the group of skaters) Wes was there. I dont know exactly when it was though.
Pretty sure I was there about a year before you guys were. Seemed like an almost round skating rink with a soft floor. I asked, the owner said it has a layer of rubber under the wood floor.
Old February 13th, 2019, 04:43 AM   #36
PRFunky

Default ... and cell phones

YES! Exactly !!!
Every time I end up with some kid going slow on the outside with
a smarty-pants phone in his face, I think exactly "tomorrow's
drivers today!"
PRFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 01:17 AM   #37
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRFunky View Post
YES! Exactly !!!
Every time I end up with some kid going slow on the outside with
a smarty-pants phone in his face, I think exactly "tomorrow's
drivers today!"
The ones that amaze me are the women and men taking kids onto the floor when they can barely skate themselves. I saw a young mother Sunday taking a baby about 3 months old onto the floor, when she was holding onto the rail barely able to stand up let alone skate. Incredibly stupid and dangerous thing to do. I T stopped as loud as I could, got the attention of the manager! She recognized the why I was making so much noise as it was not far from the office window. Called them down for it on the PA.