S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old April 5th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #21
belladonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJazz View Post
I skate the Palace 3-4 times a week.
I do Derby at Jamz in Philly(Hellcity Hooligans)(PennJersey She Devils), but we are moving back to Rolling Thunder soon.
http://www.rollingthunderskating.com/
Which is reopening in about 1-2 months I believe.
I also skate i81, Cosmic Skate and Fantasy skate when traveling.
I am on my way to Fantasy in Reading right now.
(concert in festival)http://www.berksjazzfest.com/artists...Carter_Quintet
I am Regina's Bassist.

Matt
Thanks Matt, I added those to the map as confirmed. Are you going to be here overnight? Fantasy's open tomorrow night 7-10 & it's low on kids then
belladonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #22
MattJazz

thought about staying, but I am so close to home.
Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely come back some sun. eve's!
Matt
MattJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #23
belladonna

Quote:
thought about staying, but I am so close to home.
Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely come back some sun. eve's!
Matt
Cool, one of these days I have to try the Palace too, I'm so lousy at driving down there I get lost every time. And break a leg tonight, I just realized who you play with, congrats!
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #24
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Chills up the spine, ready to skate

Hi NaNADO, Bob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNaDo View Post
Hi Bob,
just found the YouTube of Corey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woqBM...eature=related
"Thanks" am enjoying it as I am posting... Gee... can't wait for Sunday after listening to this!!!

Hope to see you Sunday Bob !!!!!! And anyone else who "loves to shuffle".... please come to Sportsman's Hall MD Sunday evenings.
Gee, it has been a long time since I heard that tune on an organ. It brought chills to my spine and I wanted to skate which I will be doing in 1 hour to artifical CD music.

Isn't that the first played session skating song for most rinks in PA??

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #25
retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi NaNADO, Bob,

Gee, it has been a long time since I heard that tune on an organ. It brought chills to my spine and I wanted to skate which I will be doing in 1 hour to artifical CD music.

Isn't that the first played session skating song for most rinks in PA??

Now that you mention it, I think you are right, he generally opens with it. At 10 minutes+, I am gasping for an oxygen bottle by the end!

Bob
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #26
NaNaDo

Quote:
Hi Regina, aka NaNaDo,

My idea is for you to share with the Organ Guys, Kathie's list, and have them update it. Again I am not expecting you to know as much as they do since these Organ Guys travel in a greater circle.

Forgotten Point: Yes I have seen the young 30-40 year olds and even younger come and skate hard in PA (Trexlertown) and up here in MA sometimes seeded by us supposedly older skaters. It is great to have them and it seems like they like the interaction and WE like the value they add.

Yours in Skating, born PA-Skater, MA/NY Skating Dave
Hi Dave... I e-mailed Marty this morning and he got back to me a littlle while ago. What is posted here for the Organists is just about all there is for PA ! He said it's just the 4 Organists left now. After Cornwells Skating Center sold the Organists kind of lost track of Dave Paden....

So I guess we are more Blessed than I thought... We have only 4 Organists left in our area and they all play sessions within a 10 to 60 mile radius from where I live!!! So folks... we all need to make a point when we are leaving after sessions to say a big "thank you" to our Organists. They have been very faithful, (some for 40 years now) sitting up there each and every week providing us with such a good time!!!
NaNaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #27
MattJazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
Cool, one of these days I have to try the Palace too, I'm so lousy at driving down there I get lost every time. And break a leg tonight, I just realized who you play with, congrats!
Concert was great! I had fun , nice audience. Reading rules!

Hmmmm- So I went to Fantasy before I played!
Nice floor - a little slippery. But nice.
A little smaller than I am used to. That could be the low ceiling though.

I hope I did not make to many enemies.
I was definitely going to fast. I should know better but I had a lot of pent up energy. A lot of kids going the wrong way. I noticed the guards do nothing. Cool if you are about 7 years old.

But I had a blast.

Please come down to adult skate at the palace - tue. mornings.
Great skaters and a lot of fun. I speed and there is an older speed skater there whom is just amazingly fast!!!!!!!!!

I am the one with mixed wheels - Cannibals and speed rays - yellow(orange) & red.
Please say hello.
Matt
MattJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #28
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Name that tune or mix

Hi NaNaDo, retread, Others,

Down in Session skating I posted a question on what are the root songs that Corey is playing in that very long time starting session organ song.

BTW Bob, I think you are supposed to be tying your skates and coming into the rink rather than skating it for 10 minutes solid.

Old April 6th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #29
belladonna

Quote:
Concert was great! I had fun , nice audience. Reading rules!

Hmmmm- So I went to Fantasy before I played!
Nice floor - a little slippery. But nice.
A little smaller than I am used to. That could be the low ceiling though.

I hope I did not make to many enemies.
I was definitely going to fast. I should know better but I had a lot of pent up energy. A lot of kids going the wrong way. I noticed the guards do nothing. Cool if you are about 7 years old.

But I had a blast.

Please come down to adult skate at the palace - tue. mornings.
Great skaters and a lot of fun. I speed and there is an older speed skater there whom is just amazingly fast!!!!!!!!!

I am the one with mixed wheels - Cannibals and speed rays - yellow(orange) & red.
Please say hello.
Matt
Oh shoot, I forgot to watch the news last night, they had a nice preview of the festival on Friday.

LOL, you hit the Saturday matinee? Brave soul with all the little kids I've noticed the floor is a little slippery lately too, I thought it was just me. Tues mornings huh? I can't until summer vaca because of my kids schedules but I'll try come June.
Old April 7th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #30
NaNaDo

Quote:
Hi NaNaDo, retread, Others,

Down in Session skating I posted a question on what are the root songs that Corey is playing in that very long time starting session organ song.

BTW Bob, I think you are supposed to be tying your skates and coming into the rink rather than skating it for 10 minutes solid.

Hi Dave... My husband and I got a chance to meet Bob last night at Sportsman's Hall. And I'll tell ya... "He sure does enjoy skating" He's like a kid in a candy store!!! ... and he brought a small group of friends with him last night too... everyone had a great time.

Last night he did have the names for the songs Corey is playing in the video... I am sure when he logs on today he will post the information for you.

ps: Many people are already in the rink and "have their skates on" by the time the first song is being played. That's part of the excitement... "getting all pumped up for the evening"
Old April 8th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #31
retread

It was a pleasure meeting you and Ken last night! Yeah, my wife and my Mother say thay haven't seen me so happy in years! Anyway, Ralph Brown was the organist last night, and sure enough, it sounded like the same song started the session, although the rest of the songs in the medely were different. He says it was called "Point of No Return". Not the Kansas version

Bob

Here's Ralph gettin down....

And some folks you might know doing the same!

Here's a better shot of that lovely couple

Old April 8th, 2008, 02:50 AM   #32
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by retread View Post
It was a pleasure meeting you and Ken last night! Yeah, my wife and my Mother say thay haven't seen me so happy in years! Anyway, Ralph Brown was the organist last night, and sure enough, it sounded like the same song started the session, although the rest of the songs in the medely were different. He says it was called "Point of No Return". Not the Kansas version

Bob
Dave... the songs are....
"Point of No Return" - "Jeremiah was a Bull Frog" and "Joy, to the World" was the three titles that we came up with last night from Corey's video.

Thanks for the pic's Bob.... we always have a great time! It was a pleasure meeting you too last night! Like I said... "you sure do enjoy yourself"! And it's so easy to have a great time in such a beautiful rink that play's the best music on the East Coast!!! Did your friends from the Animal Shelter have a good time???

These pic's are the proof of how good skating is for ya..."while we're on the floor skating, we always 'feel' so much younger than we are"!!!!
Old April 8th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #33
Pa SkAtEr
Need New Inlines

Quote:
I stopped in Cosmic while I was on tour. I thought they were really sweet.
I saw lots of kids having a great time. I tour all over so I am getting to a lot of rinks. (just in Davis CA. - cool sports complex) I have seen where they are too nice to kids. It is chaos !!!!!!!!!!
& dangerous!!!! Only thing about cosmic is when they turn off the lights it is really dark!!!!!!!!!! Love the glow stuff on the walls.

Matt
It is cool but since the manager that use to work there is gone now and the new manager doesnt know how to run the place
Pa SkAtEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #34
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Nice Floor, Rink Closed Set Up, Music, Yet Low on Skaters.

Hi NaNaDo, Bob,

Great pictures, and "fun having" smiles. And by the way I love that the place is lit rather than all dark for the teen crowd.

Quote:
Dave... the songs are....
"Point of No Return" - "Jeremiah was a Bull Frog" and "Joy, to the World" was the three titles that we came up with last night from Corey's video.

Thanks for the pic's Bob.... we always have a great time! It was a pleasure meeting you too last night! Like I said... "you sure do enjoy yourself"! And it's so easy to have a great time in such a beautiful rink that play's the best music on the East Coast!!! Did your friends from the Animal Shelter have a good time???

These pic's are the proof of how good skating is for ya..."while we're on the floor skating, we always 'feel' so much younger than we are"!!!!
The only problem is NOT enough skaters on that big looking floor.

With enough skaters you guys/gals will have to hug nearer to the center rather than the outside so you don't get run over.

Have Fun, and Continue to Post.

Old April 9th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #35
NaNaDo

Quote:
Hi NaNaDo, Bob,

Great pictures, and "fun having" smiles. And by the way I love that the place is lit rather than all dark for the teen crowd.

The only problem is NOT enough skaters on that big looking floor.

With enough skaters you guys/gals will have to hug nearer to the center rather than the outside so you don't get run over.

Have Fun, and Continue to Post.

Hello again Dave...
There is a 4th song to add to the above list...I don't know if this is the correct title, but you will get the "jist"!
"Knd of a Hush Hush All Over the World"!

RE: not many skaters.... Bob took these pics at the end of the night, allot of skaters generally leave during the last few skates of the evening! There is many of us that have a 1 or 2 hours drive home.

RE: "hug the center of the floor"! No, believe it or not... we are not center of the floor skaters ... (yet)!
We're "Wall Huggers"... Can't keep up with the young ones anymore, but, we can hold our own along the wall!!! Right Bob ???
Old April 9th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #36
NaNaDo

Lightbulb After thought on "Wall Huggers"

Hey Dave... you would really be suprised !!!
There is "allot" of "Old Fart Wall Hggers' at this rink!!!
It almost seems like... the older they are... the better they are!
So many old one's shuffle right along side the Teens and Young Adults.... and keep up!
Old April 9th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #37
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default A mature skating couple

Hi NaNaDo, regina

Quote:
Hey Dave... you would really be suprised !!!
There is "allot" of "Old Fart Wall Hggers' at this rink!!!
It almost seems like... the older they are... the better they are!
So many old one's shuffle right along side the Teens and Young Adults.... and keep up!
In Trexlertown (near Allentown) a mature couple maybe in their late 60s used to couple skate in the gang skates led by the 20 30 year olds. It looked like sometimes they had to slow down so as not to hit the youngster infront of them.

Old April 9th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #38
NaNaDo

Quote:
Hi NaNaDo, regina

In Trexlertown (near Allentown) a mature couple maybe in their late 60s used to couple skate in the gang skates led by the 20 30 year olds. It looked like sometimes they had to slow down so as not to hit the youngster infront of them.

You Battcha!!! That's the PA Style...

I don't like to do it anymore but my husband can! But, ya know.... after he does that he's shot for the rest of the evening. LOL But at least he can still do it!!!
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #39
retread

Hi gang....You bet Jean, maybe we (I) don't have endurance, but we can still boogie! Here's a shot I hoped to use as a profile picture, but we were shuffling too fast to focus Worpspeed Fatman!

Seriously Dave, the people who come on Sunday nights come to shuffle to organ music, not waltz. (well some do that too). As Jean said, many leave a little early, as we have long drives home. Hopefully, the rink will do well enough to continue the organ night. It has restored my soul.

Bob
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:26 AM   #40
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by retread View Post
Hi gang....You bet Jean, maybe we (I) don't have endurance, but we can still boogie! Here's a shot I hoped to use as a profile picture, but we were shuffling too fast to focus Worpspeed Fatman!

Seriously Dave, the people who come on Sunday nights come to shuffle to organ music, not waltz. (well some do that too). As Jean said, many leave a little early, as we have long drives home. Hopefully, the rink will do well enough to continue the organ night. It has restored my soul.

Bob

You make me laugh Bob!
You said the "magic word" ..."Endurance"
That's why we don't try to keep up with the young ones anymore....
We can hold our own as "Wall Huggers", but, travel at our own pace so
"we can last the whole session" and will still have enough strength left
for Dance Steps "after" session.!