S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old November 8th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #201
Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
jinx nice looking setup,,,,,,,,i think you will be fine with the plate size, on your ruler i would have had it between where the axle is and where you have it, it is close enough,,,i think one of the problems your having with your setup you have now is that its a bit too large for you.

rotation is a combination of your hips, free leg and arms. you get them to work together and it happens lol,,,,,,,,,,,its also called muscle memory.

good luck with all of it.

Okay thanks for the re-assuring.. that and becuase i've asked him to mount it all the back (I think most of the artistic club have them back this far too maybe even kyle?) I think it might just even out okay, and worst casey scenario i just adjust to them right? and its not going to be detrimental that much to what i wana do? (i'm really going for jumps right now, spins aren't on my agenda at this time).
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #202
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Okay thanks for the re-assuring.. that and becuase i've asked him to mount it all the back (I think most of the artistic club have them back this far too maybe even kyle?) I think it might just even out okay, and worst casey scenario i just adjust to them right? and its not going to be detrimental that much to what i wana do? (i'm really going for jumps right now, spins aren't on my agenda at this time).
believe it or not spins are harder to learn then jumps. most of the art skaters have the plates all the way back to the heel and under the ball of the foot because the size of the plate match the boots the way it should be in art. sometimes you see somebody with the plate 1/4 inch forward fromt he heel thats because they usually were growing and got into a new boot size.
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #203
Jinx

Quote:
believe it or not spins are harder to learn then jumps. most of the art skaters have the plates all the way back to the heel and under the ball of the foot because the size of the plate match the boots the way it should be in art. sometimes you see somebody with the plate 1/4 inch forward fromt he heel thats because they usually were growing and got into a new boot size.
which is why i wanted to go with all the 'recommended' sizes (and why i used riedells chart) becuase they been doing this longer than i have and i figured they knew what was better for an artistic skater. But Good to know!

I'm going to see if i can work on the mapes a bit more tonight and just put the lutz on hold for a little bit i've got to fix my left leg issue somehow.
Old November 9th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #204
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

Quote:
yes a combination of Scott and John Viola,,,,,,,,also had Sylvia Haffkle and Eric Anderson
Wow!!! That is really amazing! I would have loved to have skated at that rink for just a day. That's like taking your kid to peewee football and finding out Joe Montana, Dan Marino and John Elway are the coaches.

Although, I must say I'm pretty lucky right now. I have 2 great coaches helping me. One holds an AC3 certification and the other holds an AC4 certification and is in the Roller Skating Coaches Hall of Fame.

Too bad I'm too old now ;-)
inverse137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #205
Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by inverse137 View Post
Wow!!! That is really amazing! I would have loved to have skated at that rink for just a day. That's like taking your kid to peewee football and finding out Joe Montana, Dan Marino and John Elway are the coaches.

Although, I must say I'm pretty lucky right now. I have 2 great coaches helping me. One holds an AC3 certification and the other holds an AC4 certification and is in the Roller Skating Coaches Hall of Fame.

ahhh age doesnt mean much! You just have to want to learn and take it at the right pace! right??

Anyways, I was trying to practice a few basic things tonight to fix my mapes.. What i was doing was skating backwards and trying to just put my left toestop on the group behind me at a 9 o clock position and then kind of lean up onto it and spin around on it and plant my other foot down to try to diminish fear and get the jump more proper, i praticed this about 20 times before i tried 2-3 jumps doing this, I almost felt like i was doing better and had it.. So then i asked someone to record me again at the end of the sessionk, but i lost it.. or at least lost as close as i had it.. my attempts on film did not feel they had the same 'spin' or 'snap' that i did when i FIRST attempted it, but i think these are probably a TINY bit better attempts than tuesday night... (please ignore the idiots mocking me, they just wish they could jump!). I know i'm still TOTALLY cheating and pointing that left foot at 6 o clock, I really need to break that stupid habbit, but there's some fear and old habbits creaping in.. I'm more concerned with trying not to rotate too much but I can see i'm still doing it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQBq_Z8Ndlc
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #206
rwsz

Quote:

sounds like your doing ok with your coaches also,,,,,,,,,who are they??

in the 90s we had 7 world class dance teams also. tim pattern, lisa friday, tara graney, steven seigman, ron and candy breen, lisa and craig belrose, christi heide, and a couple more i cant remember. big club and a dozen good freestyle skaters also. it was quite the club, as you can see the dance skaters won a few world titles among them, also early 90s and 80s when i wasnt there was Jodee viola and Greg goode.
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #207
rwsz

Quote:
ahhh age doesnt mean much! You just have to want to learn and take it at the right pace! right??

Anyways, I was trying to practice a few basic things tonight to fix my mapes.. What i was doing was skating backwards and trying to just put my left toestop on the group behind me at a 9 o clock position and then kind of lean up onto it and spin around on it and plant my other foot down to try to diminish fear and get the jump more proper, i praticed this about 20 times before i tried 2-3 jumps doing this, I almost felt like i was doing better and had it.. So then i asked someone to record me again at the end of the sessionk, but i lost it.. or at least lost as close as i had it.. my attempts on film did not feel they had the same 'spin' or 'snap' that i did when i FIRST attempted it, but i think these are probably a TINY bit better attempts than tuesday night... (please ignore the idiots mocking me, they just wish they could jump!). I know i'm still TOTALLY cheating and pointing that left foot at 6 o clock, I really need to break that stupid habbit, but there's some fear and old habbits creaping in.. I'm more concerned with trying not to rotate too much but I can see i'm still doing it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQBq_Z8Ndlc
actuallly age matters, takes longer to heal and hurts more lol. have to be a bit more carefull

ok here it goes, those are the best mapes i have seen you do so far. just keep your head more level dont let it drop. you are planting the toe and jumping and not rotating on the floor early now. only other thing i would say to add is a bit more speed and get down on your free leg a bit more for lift, in other words bend it only slightly more, dont go too low or exagerate the free leg knee bend (right leg). keep up the good work, your entire form looks much better and ignore the morons always a few of them. they are ugly also lol.
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #208
Jinx

Quote:
actuallly age matters, takes longer to heal and hurts more lol. have to be a bit more carefull

ok here it goes, those are the best mapes i have seen you do so far. just keep your head more level dont let it drop. you are planting the toe and jumping and not rotating on the floor early now. only other thing i would say to add is a bit more speed and get down on your free leg a bit more for lift, in other words bend it only slightly more, dont go too low or exagerate the free leg knee bend (right leg). keep up the good work, your entire form looks much better and ignore the morons always a few of them. they are ugly also lol.
hahahaah you're awesome .. I need to get some better pants for practicing (i hate wearing sweat pants, and it was like 30 degree's out so i had jeans on) they were getting constrictive, so it wasn't super easy to get any lower, but I think i also didnt try as hard as i could have, so i'll try that next time.. Speed..... It's scaring me right now becuase i'm trying to not let my left foot point foward and that is what is happening still, everyone i see do the mapes has their foot pointing to the side , i say 9 o clock if you're skating backwards and where you are looking forwards is 12 o clock, but maybe this is whats called 'open' stance? Anyways For some reason trying to put my toestop down at this position is a real mental block for me, i feel like i have to spin my right leg 'around' my left leg if i do this and it cuases me to really hesitate alot, anymore speed and I'm not sure how i'd handle it, but I hear your advice and want to work it in.....

does the extra speed have an effect on height?
Old November 9th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #209
rwsz

Quote:
hahahaah you're awesome .. I need to get some better pants for practicing (i hate wearing sweat pants, and it was like 30 degree's out so i had jeans on) they were getting constrictive, so it wasn't super easy to get any lower, but I think i also didnt try as hard as i could have, so i'll try that next time.. Speed..... It's scaring me right now becuase i'm trying to not let my left foot point foward and that is what is happening still, everyone i see do the mapes has their foot pointing to the side , i say 9 o clock if you're skating backwards and where you are looking forwards is 12 o clock, but maybe this is whats called 'open' stance? Anyways For some reason trying to put my toestop down at this position is a real mental block for me, i feel like i have to spin my right leg 'around' my left leg if i do this and it cuases me to really hesitate alot, anymore speed and I'm not sure how i'd handle it, but I hear your advice and want to work it in.....

does the extra speed have an effect on height?
wear carpenter jeans lol they will let you mend a bit more. your toeoff on the mapes should be between 5 to 6 oclock behind you a little to the right or straight back if its more comfortable. we might be confusing each other with the time lol. i am putting 12 oclock in front of you.

do what is comfortable but speed helps the entire jump, the rotation the height and the landing. believe it or not it makes all jumps easier. i dont need reckless out of control speed, just a nice flowing speed. comes with time and some jumpers never get it they always tend to slow down with and edge of toestop. keep working on it your doing much better.
Old November 9th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #210
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

Quote:
sounds like your doing ok with your coaches also,,,,,,,,,who are they??

in the 90s we had 7 world class dance teams also. tim pattern, lisa friday, tara graney, steven seigman, ron and candy breen, lisa and craig belrose, christi heide, and a couple more i cant remember. big club and a dozen good freestyle skaters also. it was quite the club, as you can see the dance skaters won a few world titles among them, also early 90s and 80s when i wasnt there was Jodee viola and Greg goode.
The coaches that help me out up here are Nanci Pritchard and Dave Morell.

Greg Goody is here. He coaches out of Redwood City. His daughter is doing quite well in her own right.

And yeah, what Rick said about the age...the mind is willing...the body is sometimes cooperating....but its that recovery time!!! I mean, I did a workout yesterday and I'm feeling it today. But my goal is still to hit a flip REALLY soon! :-)

And about the pants....when I practice I wear practice pants. When I skate a session to fool around I wear baggy cargo pants. It's hard to jump/spin in jeans. In a few weeks I'll probably switch to sweats. See, our rink doesn't believe in frivolous items like heat.
Old November 9th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #211
rwsz

Quote:
The coaches that help me out up here are Nanci Pritchard and Dave Morell.

Greg Goody is here. He coaches out of Redwood City. His daughter is doing quite well in her own right.

And yeah, what Rick said about the age...the mind is willing...the body is sometimes cooperating....but its that recovery time!!! I mean, I did a workout yesterday and I'm feeling it today. But my goal is still to hit a flip REALLY soon! :-)

And about the pants....when I practice I wear practice pants. When I skate a session to fool around I wear baggy cargo pants. It's hard to jump/spin in jeans. In a few weeks I'll probably switch to sweats. See, our rink doesn't believe in frivolous items like heat.
very good coaches you have,,,,,,,,,i know them but they probably dont know me with the exception of Greg Goody i know him and his family well,,,,,,,like i said Greg was here when my son started skating and i spent many a nites with greg at nationals with his wife Yumi and daughter. good times, his wife is missed, such a tragedy.
Old November 9th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #212
Jinx

Default for simplification

Here's a little image of what i mean.. the red feet are where i usually end up toeing off.. Its nearly side ways skating.. i think that came from my fear and it was just easier to do, its a giant cheat though... The green step is where I see that italian skater toe off from, and its scary for me and also a bit akward to reach behind me to the right, it makes more sense that way. My maint point originally was how the toe was pointing, see the green foot is pointing at 9 o clock? I was trying to do more of that, but i could only get my foot directly behind my right foot, (and even then still a bit to the left of it) and even when i was trying to jump that wa i ended up cheating as you see in the video, i dont think i ever actually manace to keep it pointing at 9 o clock but instead my mind/foot cheat and point at 7 o clock..

Old November 10th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #213
rwsz

ok those were my thoughts too,,,,,,,,,,,,still between 5 to 6 is best,,,dont go sideways
Old November 10th, 2012, 02:56 AM   #214
Jinx

Quote:
ok those were my thoughts too,,,,,,,,,,,,still between 5 to 6 is best,,,dont go sideways
Do you mean the position of the foot (green one) is correct but try to plant it more between 5 and 6? I'm not sure what you mean on 'dont go sideways' ?
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #215
rwsz

Quote:
Do you mean the position of the foot (green one) is correct but try to plant it more between 5 and 6? I'm not sure what you mean on 'dont go sideways' ?
ok lets start i am color blind but i think the green one is the one a bit sideways by itself. in the direction you are going you should be having your toestop position almost facing 12 oclock when you toe off, usually everybody does open it a 1/4 turn though. i am saying your feet shouldnt be sideways when you toe off for the jump.
Old November 11th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #216
Jinx

Quote:
ok lets start i am color blind but i think the green one is the one a bit sideways by itself. in the direction you are going you should be having your toestop position almost facing 12 oclock when you toe off, usually everybody does open it a 1/4 turn though. i am saying your feet shouldnt be sideways when you toe off for the jump.

Holy crap! so should this just be like an opposite footed lutz? the left foot goes down with the toestop facing the same direction as my planted foot? I've never seen anyone do that, even that fancy italian guy in the youtube videos posted has his toestop pointing at 9 o clock from what i can see?

Sorry about the colors! i picked the worst colors if you're color blind, yes it was the one off by itself near the middle, the bottom ones near 6 and 7 are red colored and where i currently toe off at..
Old November 11th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #217
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

These are triples but I think you'll get the idea. This is a collection of THE best jumpers ever...even counting the Fancy Italian guy. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDgqXNek1Cw&feature=plcp

Here is an example of what I think you are talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k69icJBjyj4

You'll notice that the girl is facing completely forward for the take-off. That is not correct.

And the guy that put the first video together...he went on to become a world champion...in both quads and inlines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TYyRvnSbEY
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #218
rwsz

great videos inverse,,,,,all good skaters,,,tim, toby, heath, wow i know all of them except for tim mcguire but know of him.

jinx i see what you are saying now, yes when they take off the toestop foot isnt straight back anymore its a 1/4 or more turned and sideways. now i get it lol, took awhile to sink in. try to be like the 80s guys.

jayson sutcliffe the australian skater won worlds as you said inverse in quads and inlines multiple times on inlines, he is the best i ever seen on inlines. a good guy too i talk with him all the time. saw him in person at worlds in springfield ma in 2000 or 2001 cant remember which year. sad thing is he hurt his ankle in the short and skated awfull in the long due to it.
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #219
Jinx

Quote:
great videos inverse,,,,,all good skaters,,,tim, toby, heath, wow i know all of them except for tim mcguire but know of him.

jinx i see what you are saying now, yes when they take off the toestop foot isnt straight back anymore its a 1/4 or more turned and sideways. now i get it lol, took awhile to sink in. try to be like the 80s guys.

jayson sutcliffe the australian skater won worlds as you said inverse in quads and inlines multiple times on inlines, he is the best i ever seen on inlines. a good guy too i talk with him all the time. saw him in person at worlds in springfield ma in 2000 or 2001 cant remember which year. sad thing is he hurt his ankle in the short and skated awfull in the long due to it.
Ok i tried a few of these with my foot pointing the same way as my planted foot... it sure is i teresting and a challenge. It bassically feels like a lutz on the other foot. If i go to joshes ill see if i can get some video.. im sure im cheating them or not being straight.. i was going very sloooowly as my brain couldnt quite process my foot facing the same way i was facing!
Old November 14th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #220
rwsz

Quote:
Ok i tried a few of these with my foot pointing the same way as my planted foot... it sure is i teresting and a challenge. It bassically feels like a lutz on the other foot. If i go to joshes ill see if i can get some video.. im sure im cheating them or not being straight.. i was going very sloooowly as my brain couldnt quite process my foot facing the same way i was facing!
well your trying and that is what matters, also even if it isnt quite straight back it will be closer and a better jump for it. keep us posted. did you hear anything on your boots and plates yet, if they are gonna be ok on the ball and heel?