S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old April 13th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #241
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default Moonlight Skate

Skated Thursday and Friday at Moonlight.

Hadn't skated for over a week when I hit the floor Thursday. I felt heavy and slow. Not sharp. Kinda got into the groove, but not too much.

Friday, I was not sore or tired at all, so I decided to skate again. It was not crowded, nor was it light. Just a good amount of people who surprisingly kept a kind of consistent spread all around the floor. There were a number of good teen/tween skaters this night, so instead of the blah guys only girls only skate, they did beg/adv backwards skate.

Did the advanced backward and was on the sideline for the beginners when the DJ skated up to me and another long time skilled skater and told us it was OK if we wanted to skate the beginning. This was a nice gesture as I had had a run in the the DJ and manager several weeks prior and had been avoiding Moonlight. (I skated Thursday knowing that DJ does not work Thursday) So we got on the floor. There were enough beginners and they were going quite slow, so even just cruising around might have been distracting. So I just looked for folks who were struggling and gave them pointers, and that went very nicely.

A woman who was doing ok, I mean, she was getting around the floor but working hard doing a backward butterfly came up to me to ask what pointers I was giving. I told her about the toes in backward march. She tried it and could do it. I suggested she use alternately with the backward butterfly so as not to get overly tired, and could thus skate backward longer. She seemed to like that idea.

So I don't know if letting a few advanced skaters on the floor had anything specific to do with what happened weeks ago, but it was a good thing in my opinion. There are a few advanceds that would certainly be happy to help out the beginning backwards skaters. It presents a friendly helpful face that could encourage them to come back. Plus helps them enjoy the night. I hope this can continue without incident.

So, a good night. The DJ finished strong with some good end of the night songs. I skated them hard. A nice finish to a good night.
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:52 AM   #242
isobelsk8

Smile

Its been a while as I've had a busy few weeks. I went to my local rink last night and had a great session. The DJ was playing awful music, I gpt worried when I plugged in my iPod and it was out of battery but luckily I have a playlist on my phone which has the perfect skating vibe to it. I grooved along like a fool in my own world and it was great fun. There were the usual teenage rink rats who were having their fun. The beginning of a bit of young romance was evident between two of the regular teenagers too, very cute.

It was a bit of a bumpy roll with some crap on the rink and after picking some of it up and heading off the floor to bin it I had a proper fall. Someone had left one of the chairs sticking out right near the exit to the rink and I clipped the leg with a wheel and went down on the carpet. It would have been better to stack it on the rink as the carpet tore up my knee so I have have a substantial graze now. It is a fairly common problem at my local rink with people leave their crap on the floor or moving the furniture near the exits but this is the first stack I've had thanks to it. I didn't let this ruin my night though as I rolled around grooving to my tunes and getting my exercise.
isobelsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:55 AM   #243
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default RollonAmerica 12Apr2014 A Disappointment

Hi Guys/Gals,

Great reading your experiences..

I usually love skating with the teens on their Saturday skate. I have skated with some of them since they were little bouncers on either Sat or Sun skate matinees, so they recognize me. The good skaters know me, even if they have grown so much I might not remember them anymore. Kids change fast as they age.

I have a new young teen_boy college DJ that to me is causing lots of problems, on different skate nights. RollOnAmerica gives hims hours upon hours so that eventually he will cut down the patrons. They might even be violating Mass Labor Laws by the hours they give him. Yet Zack thinks what he likes for music like Head_Banging music is what should be played and damn with the patrons. After all he is the DJ King. I think he thinks this place is his 'Man Cave' to do as he chooses. He even picks up the base on the big Bose Horns sitting on the ceiling.

Saturday night with the teens for 7 years has been great, with many former DJ's including a young man that has been here forever. Yet this ONE kid is a damaging presence.

I just hope he is gone soon, and we can regroup.

I guess I have to talk to the management. Dang I hate that.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Edit-01: Adding more info, You know he could be my grandkid, yet he is just so damn self-centered

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; April 14th, 2014 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Some more info
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #244
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Rink Obituary

Not only is it after session, last Sunday night was the last session at Roller Odyssey. The building is now for rent. Below is a statement from one of the ex managers:

But the building is now empty. The skating floor and carpet is all that's left. No tables, no skates, no sound system and no snack bar equipment. Ins and taxes were about $1,500 a month and electric , water, and trash was about $3,000. Plus there is no air conditioning so that's 30 grand on top also... (did not finish his thoughts.) He meant to include the $10K a month rent.

I'll add this, the two crystal balls are also gone. The memories remain.

The end of next month a rink in the fifth most populous city, Hillsboro, Oregon, will close. They lost their lease, just like Roller Odyssey.
Old April 14th, 2014, 02:02 AM   #245
GraySk8ter
76-not dead yet!

Default Family skate session

Not nearly as many skaters today. Better weather, outdoor activities, and whatever - reduced the number of families coming out today. Music with a beat, little kids on a mission to master those darn wheel things on their feet, and parents attempting to teach their little ones how to stay up all contribute to people watching (and enjoying).

One would think that a lower population on the rink floor would translate to fewer hazards. Not so! Parental units (that seldom skate) are thinking they can bee-line straight to the nearest exit straight through traffic. When more people are on the floor they are more cautious because of the volume of traffic they have to buck. So a few really quick stops, but nothing an alert skater couldn't avoid. Able to get a good cardio workout. Great session!

I am wearing more padding when skating with the families. Used to wear wrist protection only. After getting my knee clobbered, I am wearing knee pads to the family sessions.

Keep rollin

p.s. Thanks rufusprime99 for the football girdle info. That maybe next.
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #246
larryoracing

Smile I'm kind of proud of this. I skated 4 times in the last 5 days..Wow!..lol

In Southern, Calif we are blessed with many rinks, some are even competitive artistic clubs.

1) My favorite rink will close in August. That is Skate Depot, Cerritos, Ca.
The reason I like this rink is because it has the largest floor of all the rinks I have visited. And the floor is wood. Boy do I love the wood floors. And it's a good floor. I went their thursday night. It was packed, almost dangerous, but I had a great time. I think the cost was 10.00.

2) So I waited a day and went back saturday night. Not bad for an old timer...LOL! It had a medium crowd. Very nice. You could move around, skate fast and have a lot of fun. I had another excellent night. I think the cost was 10.50.

3) Well, I don't usually do this but I decided to push the envelope. I have been back skating for only three weeks, skating once per week, giving my legs all the time in the world to recover. Hmmmm,....Skateland, Northridge, Ca has a session on sunday nights. Let's go for it...lol!
a) The first thing I noticed was the floor didn't look like it had a plastic coating. It was wood. And it was tight. I couldn't believe it, I'm skating on some old 101 hardness wheels and they felt light they were sticking to the floor like glue. Do I really need to go to a 103 hardness wheel? Hmmm I'm thinking the answer is yes. Had a great time. It looked like you could jump and spin in the middle of the floor if you wanted to. Some were jumping and spinning. Hmmmm, something to think about in the future. I think the cost was 10.50.

4) Well, I have to admit, 3 times skating in 4 days and my legs were tired. But I decided to see how much pain could I endure...LOL! Moonlight rink, in Glendale, Ca has sessions on Monday nights. What the heck lets see how much pain I can endure. I really like this rink, it's kind of old fashioned, but seems kind of new at the same time. There was even a skating sign, the ones that come on to tell you what is being skating. It said Rexing??? and I thought that was a make believe word...LOL!

Anyways there were a few people jumping. I didn't know what the heck they were doing, but one had to be an artistic skater. And some people were jumping but they were not artistic skaters. But the center of the rink was open and the guards didn't mind people jumping and spinning. I really didn't want to do any freestyle for at least a year, but I got the urge. Did a few upright weak spins in the center of the rink. They were sad spins, but at least I gave it a whirl and I had fun. There weren't that many people there and you could do pretty much what you liked. I had a great time, but again my 101 hardness wheels seemed to grip the floor to much. I think when I go to Glendale, Ca I will have to use a harder wheel. And You know what, My legs feel great!

Larry O, we are so lucky to skate. Enjoy it while you can. Larry O at 59 years old. I feel 40.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 04:36 AM   #247
GraySk8ter
76-not dead yet!

Default Fiesta time

Visitors to San Antonio will be treated this week to a large city party. Parades, food, drink, fun, and foolishness. Because of the city's Fiesta party the adult skating session was a bit smaller crowd. Most of the regulars were there. Music was good and the skaters responded. No major accidents - life is good! Good natured interaction between many of the regulars(clean fun).

The only drama this evening was on the road(San Antonio has some bad drivers).

Keep rollin
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:54 AM   #248
DannyBoySk8s
Style Skater

Default Got My Groove Back!

Coachlite Roller Gardens is one of two remaining roller rinks in the Greater Toronto Area. The rink is about fifty years old and has that well-worn look that many of us are familiar with. The modest 155 ft. x 80 ft. Terrazzo cement floor is kept reasonably clean and polished and provides a remarkably smooth roll for the many skaters who frequent the rink weekly.

Stepping through the front door of the rink is like entering a magic portal that transports you back to an age and time when life was simply about skating and having fun. The music blaring from the speakers on the floor is a mix of 70ís and 80ís Funk, Soul, and Disco with a little 90ís Old School thrown in for good measure.

I rediscovered this last bastion of Roller Ė Disco about five years ago after a long hiatus from the skating world and now most Wednesday and Saturday evenings I can be found polishing my own unique style of JB/Roller Boogie skating skills. I thought that I had lost my Groove years ago but now I can honestly say itís back!

Itís always a delight to inspire and be inspired by others and I was reminded of this last Saturday. It was a particularly good session, the music was right, the floor was tight, and I was in the zone. At the end of the evening, as I was taking my magic boots off, a young boy about 13 years old came over to me motioning excitedly. I was somewhat confused as he wasnít saying anything. His sister came and explained that the boy was deaf and mute but that he wanted me to know that he had never seen anyone skate like I had and that he thought it was just awesome! Needless to say, he was inspired and so was I. I do hope to see him at the rink again so that I can skate with him.

Cheers,

Dan
DannyBoySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 04:52 AM   #249
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default RollonAmerica 21-27Apr2014 School Vacation Week

Hi All,

Up here is Mass when School is Out the Rinks get busy and often become a skaters' ZOO. Snow storm killed Rollon America's Feb Vacation week, which is a money making week. Too bad since I like this place.

Anyway skated Tuesday and Thursday (1$ and a Pen) and will skate once more at severly reduced rates. At these reduced rates RollOn
packs down, and the parents and kids come from piles of miles away. It was a long winding line to get in.

Many supersize their entry, and add stuff due to the marketing of the window staff. Think McDonalds. So reduced rates are a kind of tease and the rink has happy patrons jumping and bouncing. I handed my (2.99 each for 4 pass) to the family behind me since I got in for 1 buck aroo. 1USA GreenBack

Fun skating with the Skate Guards. I love the one tall kid since he dances on his InLines, copies me and adds stuff. And YES Zack played good music, well kind of, and lots better than when he DJ's on Wednesday.

P.S. One more skate on School Vacation Week.
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #250
larryoracing

Smile Went to Moonlight Skating Rink, Glendale, Ca.

It was an adult night and it had a surprizingly good crowd. It even had a few beginners. Do you remember when you were a beginner and how tough it was. I have to give it to these new skaters they Marched on throughout the evening pushing on with their desire to learn how to roller skate.

I'm still trying to break in my Jackson Elite Freestyle boots, They are breaking in but ever so slowly. I think I might have to break down and by some custom boots. As the boots break in you find out where they are loose and where they are tight. You need boots to fit you like a glove to get optimum performance.

It's off to Cerritos, Ca tonight. It's college night, but I assume they will let me skate. I am not a college student. I have never skated at Cerritos, CA on a tuesday night. We will see.

Se Yah at the Skating rink,

Larry O
Old April 30th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #251
larryoracing

Smile Just got back from Cerritos, CA...College Night!

Did I drive my car. Nah, I didn't want to start a riot in the middle of main street.

I learned something, though. What's that?LOL! There was no cars in the parking lot. Get the picture? College kids/over 18 year old people don't have or drive cars. It completely baffled me. Rink is packed. Everybody looked over 21 years old and yet there were no cars in the parking lot.

Go to Adult night on thursdays, same rink and you think you were in a car show...LOL! There's all kinds of expensive cars all over the place. This is really amazing to me. What is the world coming too?

What do you think? Could they handle my car. I don't think so...LOL!

Larry O and happy skating forever. Skate for Jesus! You can't go wrong.
Old April 30th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #252
Oicusk82huh

Took my five year old god daughter skating (her first time) and she said, "This is the most fun I've ever had in my whole life, wish I was born with rollerskates instead of feet."
She said it was the best night of her life. I still feel that way about skating.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 02:20 AM   #253
DannyBoySk8s
Style Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post

Did I drive my car. Nah, I didn't want to start a riot in the middle of main street.

What do you think? Could they handle my car. I don't think so...LOL!

Larry O and happy skating forever. Skate for Jesus! You can't go wrong.
Luv the car Larry O! That is one beautiful work of art!

Dan
Old May 1st, 2014, 03:03 AM   #254
DannyBoySk8s
Style Skater

Default Wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Took my five year old god daughter skating (her first time) and she said, "This is the most fun I've ever had in my whole life, wish I was born with rollerskates instead of feet."
She said it was the best night of her life. I still feel that way about skating.
That is wonderful!
Old May 1st, 2014, 04:40 AM   #255
GraySk8ter
76-not dead yet!

Default Luv them kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
It's things like this that make life enjoyable. The innocence of youth and the joy they can have with simple things. That is a big reason I enjoy skating with the little kids.

But tonight was adult night and it was great. Most of the regulars were there and some came tonight attempting to get back into skating. And I am very fortunate to have my son and daughter skate adult sessions with me. Music was very loud(my daughter wore ear plugs to tolerate it). My hearing is diminished anyway. So I had no problem, but it was loud(even for me).

Found another use for duct tape. I have a bunion on one foot and it decided to give problems while skating tonight. My son keeps a roll of duct tape in his skate bag and uses it to cover areas that begin to blister. So I asked for a piece of duct tape and placed it on the bunion. No more problem. Skated the rest of the session without pain.

Keep rollin
Old May 1st, 2014, 04:52 AM   #256
larryoracing

Smile DannyBoySk8s Thanks for the compliment.

That is true, anybody who trys or gets involved in rollerskating has a sport or a past time for life. There is nothing in the world like skating, but it help you ski, snow or water, surf, dance and even do gymnastics or visa versa.

Larry O

P.S. Keep on rolling on....
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:12 PM   #257
DannyBoySk8s
Style Skater

Default Three Days of Rain!

As a result of 3 days of rain the roof on the roller-rink leaked causing water to pool on the floor!

I was so disappointed that I couldnít practice my Moon Walk, Crab Walk and Scissor Kicks at the roller-rink on Wednesday evening. Notwithstanding I was able to practice a little at home.

Like This: Click Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bve6r9MybJM

Looking forward to Saturday at the Roller-Rink,

Dan
Old May 3rd, 2014, 09:20 AM   #258
larryoracing

Smile That guy was fantastic.

I'm with you DannyBoySk8s.

Can't wait to go skating saturday and practice something after seeing a video like that.

The essence of all skating in my mind it to skate like the guy in the video, only with skates on. If you can do that or aspire to that you have skating right where it needs to be.....ie... on skates.

Thanks for the video and hope your rink gets the ceiling fixed.

Larry O
Old May 4th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #259
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Skated with a young man like that tonight

Hi All, Dan,

Former Title: Skated with a young man like that tonight.

I know this video stuff from Dan in Canada seems far fetched to most,

Yet I skated with a kid (probably now 20+) that could do that stuff on skates. And was wondering what next to do. I could watch him wonder OK what next as he stopped one set of things. Like me he has a treasure trove of stuff that he knows, yet he can do his stuff really great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoySk8s View Post
As a result of 3 days of rain the roof on the roller-rink leaked causing water to pool on the floor! o - o Dan
I have skated with him before on the same floor, and think he is a college kid in Worcester from another area than Mass, that has GREAT fast foot Skaters. You don't get that good all by yourself without being challenged. I have seen better elsewhere (NJ/PA); although I will tell you that this young man is great and these guys skate in the clouds. Their feet are fast, and their one footing is magic

About a year ago a Good 100 InLiner thought he could beat him in speed and was blown away. Of course the rink is not huge so this is doable on Quads.

I can not even tell you all the moves he put together, grapvine, small split spins backwards and more.

On the Guys Fast Skate, the other 20's guy that is great chased everyone side surfing in either direction.

P.S. As I was leaving and said goodbye to him, as he sat on the bench for a moment and was sweating like a PIG, He said hey you are pretty good out there with your moves. Yeah Right.. Dang he is FUN to skate with.

Edit-01: Changing some stuff pre Title Change to be more in line with this Topic Area

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; May 5th, 2014 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Changing Stuff /
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:39 AM   #260
DannyBoySk8s
Style Skater

Default Larry O

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
I'm with you DannyBoySk8s.

Can't wait to go skating saturday and practice something after seeing a video like that.

The essence of all skating in my mind it to skate like the guy in the video, only with skates on. If you can do that or aspire to that you have skating right where it needs to be.....ie... on skates.

Thanks for the video and hope your rink gets the ceiling fixed.

Larry O
So glad you enjoyed the video! It certainly inspired me to step up my game!

I was so looking forward to the Saturday evening skate so that I could take a few of these steps and incorporate them into my JB/Roller Boogie skate routine. It's amazing where we get our inspiration from!

Cheers,

Dan