S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old September 2nd, 2019, 02:20 AM   #241
Joey

98.8 miles for August according to my last GPS standing. Had a handful of unofficial miles as well so well above 100. Also broke 1000 for the year of RECORDED miles. As I mentioned in my last post, I am getting less concerned with the count knowing my GPS will fail very soon and likely not replace it anytime soon.

Weather is starting to break. I skated every day last week of August and first week of September looks to be rain free. At....LAST! So tired of the heat AND storms.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 02:58 AM   #242
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
98.8 miles for August according to my last GPS standing. Had a handful of unofficial miles as well so well above 100. Also broke 1000 for the year of RECORDED miles. As I mentioned in my last post, I am getting less concerned with the count knowing my GPS will fail very soon and likely not replace it anytime soon.

Weather is starting to break. I skated every day last week of August and first week of September looks to be rain free. At....LAST! So tired of the heat AND storms.
What's the issue with the GPS?
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2019, 03:25 AM   #243
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
Things heated up in July:

Hiking Totals
========
Activities 2
Total Distance 16.81 mi
Max Distance 8.44 mi
Total Activity Time 5:33:17 h:m:s
Activity Calories 1,381 C
Average Speed 3.0 mph
Max Speed 6.0 mph
Average Heart Rate 104 bpm
Max Heart Rate 144 bpm

Scooter Totals
=========
Activities 8
Total Distance 14.55 mi
Max Distance 4.36 mi
Total Activity Time 2:00:31 h:m:s
Activity Calories 1,150 C
Average Speed 6.9 mph
Max Speed 17.0 mph
Average Heart Rate 123 bpm
Max Heart Rate 157 bpm

Skating Totals
=========
Activities 26
Total Distance 455.17 mi
Max Distance 60.98 mi
Total Activity Time 42:05:31 h:m:s
Activity Calories 14,373 C
Average Speed 10.6 mph
Max Speed 34.9 mph
Average Heart Rate 116 bpm
Max Heart Rate 169 bpm

Total Totals
=======
Activities 36
Total Distance 486.53 mi
Max Distance 60.98 mi
Total Activity Time 49:39:18 h:m:s
Activity Calories 16,904 C
Average Speed 9.4 mph
Max Speed 34.9 mph
Average Heart Rate 116 bpm
Max Heart Rate 169 bpm
August cooled down a bit due to race interference

Hiking Totals
========
Activities 1
Total Distance 8.94 mi
Max Distance 8.94 mi
Total Activity Time 4:24:43 h:m:s
Activity Calories 836 C
Average Speed 2.0 mph
Max Speed 13.3 mph
Average Heart Rate 95 bpm
Max Heart Rate 141 bpm

Scooter Totals
=========
Activities 4
Total Distance 4.03 mi
Max Distance 1.23 mi
Total Activity Time 37:33 h:m:s
Activity Calories 455 C
Average Speed 6.4 mph
Max Speed 10.3 mph

Skating Totals
=========
Activities 27
Total Distance 403.79 mi
Max Distance 60.97 mi
Total Activity Time 36:53:45 h:m:s
Activity Calories 14,016 C
Average Speed 10.9 mph
Max Speed 35.5 mph
Average Heart Rate 120 bpm
Max Heart Rate 172 bpm

Total Totals
=======
Activities 32
Total Distance 416.76 mi
Max Distance 60.97 mi
Total Activity Time 41:56:01 h:m:s
Activity Calories 15,307 C
Average Speed 10.0 mph
Max Speed 35.5 mph
Average Heart Rate 119 bpm
Max Heart Rate 172 bpm

August was off a little but I still cleared 400 miles. This was mostly due to Rollin' on the River. I usual Sunday workouts are longer, sometimes much longer than a Marathon so most races actually reduce my mileage. Race performance was also a bit off but that was a Murphy's Law sort of thing. Details in the race report which I will post soon. It is pretty much done but I'm hoping for a good cover photo and I have seen very few photos from the race at all.

I also missed one commute due to an early meeting at work related to a reorg. Work turmoil has been a major distraction this year.

I skated 80 miles yesterday in a workout that was more gruelling that I expected. But that will be in the September update.
Old September 4th, 2019, 01:24 AM   #244
Joey

Quote:
What's the issue with the GPS?
I had two of them The new one won't hold a charge so I pretty much have to make certain to charge it just before I use it making afternoon workouts interesting challenges. Also this GPS was a watch and the whole case is cracking (plastic) and the band is broken off. Fixed this by grinding all of the band attachments off and using Velcro (R) to my wristguard instead.

The old GPS took FOREVER to link up with satellites. Most days I would finish my entire commute before it found even one satellite. It does not like finding satellites once I am moving and I ain't standing in the sun for 20 minutes waiting on it. So finally I just spiked the thing on the tarmac and shattered it, which was the most gratifying thing I did that week.

When the remaining GPS dies I likely will not replace it. My mileage is very pedestrian these days anyway. The new job is great but much more physical and in the weather all day so getting MORE heatstroke after work is often not attractive. Today was 104F when work let out at 3:30 p.m. for instance. Yet I still managed 10.4 miles in three sessions: 2.4 to work, 2.3 lunch skate, and then added a few laps in the park to get my 10 on the way home.
Old September 4th, 2019, 02:24 AM   #245
ese002

Quote:
I had two of them The new one won't hold a charge so I pretty much have to make certain to charge it just before I use it making afternoon workouts interesting challenges. Also this GPS was a watch and the whole case is cracking (plastic) and the band is broken off. Fixed this by grinding all of the band attachments off and using Velcro (R) to my wristguard instead.

The old GPS took FOREVER to link up with satellites. Most days I would finish my entire commute before it found even one satellite. It does not like finding satellites once I am moving and I ain't standing in the sun for 20 minutes waiting on it
In my experience with mostly Garmin units, GPS never syncs reliably while moving. This is OK for the morning commute. It syncs up in the time it takes me to get out the door. It isn't so much fun in the evening though. The metal office building blocks the signal. I have to stand around in the parking lot for a minute or two with the watch clearly pointed at the sky, to get it to sync.

Is the problem that it doesn't hold a charge or that isn't charging reliably? My current Garmin 920 is finicky about making contact with the charger. I have to do a simple cleaning of the contacts almost daily. If I don't, I will go to grab the watch in the morning and find that, instead of charging overnight, it has discharged during the night. The 305 was worse. The contact problem was inside the watch made worse by failing glue.

Last edited by ese002; September 4th, 2019 at 02:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old September 30th, 2019, 03:13 AM   #246
ese002

Quote:
August cooled down a bit due to race interference

Hiking Totals
========
Activities 1
Total Distance 8.94 mi
Max Distance 8.94 mi
Total Activity Time 4:24:43 h:m:s
Activity Calories 836 C
Average Speed 2.0 mph
Max Speed 13.3 mph
Average Heart Rate 95 bpm
Max Heart Rate 141 bpm

Scooter Totals
=========
Activities 4
Total Distance 4.03 mi
Max Distance 1.23 mi
Total Activity Time 37:33 h:m:s
Activity Calories 455 C
Average Speed 6.4 mph
Max Speed 10.3 mph

Skating Totals
=========
Activities 27
Total Distance 403.79 mi
Max Distance 60.97 mi
Total Activity Time 36:53:45 h:m:s
Activity Calories 14,016 C
Average Speed 10.9 mph
Max Speed 35.5 mph
Average Heart Rate 120 bpm
Max Heart Rate 172 bpm

Total Totals
=======
Activities 32
Total Distance 416.76 mi
Max Distance 60.97 mi
Total Activity Time 41:56:01 h:m:s
Activity Calories 15,307 C
Average Speed 10.0 mph
Max Speed 35.5 mph
Average Heart Rate 119 bpm
Max Heart Rate 172 bpm

August was off a little but I still cleared 400 miles. This was mostly due to Rollin' on the River. I usual Sunday workouts are longer, sometimes much longer than a Marathon so most races actually reduce my mileage. Race performance was also a bit off but that was a Murphy's Law sort of thing. Details in the race report which I will post soon. It is pretty much done but I'm hoping for a good cover photo and I have seen very few photos from the race at all.

I also missed one commute due to an early meeting at work related to a reorg. Work turmoil has been a major distraction this year.

I skated 80 miles yesterday in a workout that was more gruelling that I expected. But that will be in the September update.

And onto a rather grim September update but first the basic stats:

Hiking Totals
========
Activities 1
Total Distance 12.28 mi
Total Activity Time 4:21:56 h:m:s
Activity Calories 987 C
Average Speed 2.8 mph
Max Speed 4.4 mph
Average Heart Rate 100 bpm
Max Heart Rate 147 bpm

Scooter Totals
=========
Activities 2
Total Distance 2.07 mi
Max Distance 1.06 mi
Total Activity Time 19:16 h:m:s
Activity Calories 232 C
Average Speed 6.5 mph
Max Speed 11.9 mph

Skating Totals
=========
Activities 11
Total Distance 192.56 mi
Max Distance 80.87 mi
Total Activity Time 16:38:06 h:m:s
Activity Calories 7,474 C
Average Speed 10.6 mph
Max Speed 35.4 mph
Average Heart Rate 122 bpm
Max Heart Rate 175 bpm

Walking Totals
=========
Activities 1
Total Distance 1.39 mi
Max Distance 1.39 mi
Total Activity Time 29:58 h:m:s
Activity Calories 117 C
Average Speed 2.8 mph
Max Speed 3.5 mph

Total Totals
=======
Activities 15
Total Distance 208.30 mi
Max Distance 80.87 mi
Total Activity Time 21:49:15 h:m:s
Activity Calories 8,810 C
Average Speed 9.0 mph
Max Speed 35.4 mph
Average Heart Rate 121 bpm
Max Heart Rate 175 bpm

September started out OK with an 80 mile A2A prep skate. It was hot, though, and I my electrolytes went to a bad place and I perseverated and it did get a little better. I think I just caught a pathological condition and didn't pick up on the warning signs soon enough. The sodium active transport requires glucose to fuel it. If I started the sucking in Gu earlier it would not have been an issue. It's a tough lesson to learn but understating is always useful.

The following weekend was more on target as I tapered before my 10th showing at the Northshore Inline Marathon.

Alas, I had barely begun the main event, when It all went to Hell. I haven't skated or done anything else of significance since. I managed to walk 1.2 miles today. That was actually more than I thought I could. There will be no update for October and November probably won't be worth posting about either. I may start hiking again in late November but I don't expect to be able to skate until December. Even that will require optimistic interpretation of doctor's orders. Injury sucks.

Last edited by ese002; September 30th, 2019 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Left out grand totals
Old September 30th, 2019, 10:31 PM   #247
Joey

169 miles for September 2019. Skated 20 days often 3 sessions - AM, PM commute and a lunch session. Average is 8.45 miles a day. Second best month total since June of 2018. I credit ZERO rain past 30 days for these numbers.

Also, no injuries. Everything seems to be 100% thanks to those little bites at a time instead of a few big mile days. Shortest day was 1.9 and longest was 14.

I'm happy.
Old October 1st, 2019, 12:35 AM   #248
ese002

Quote:
169 miles for September 2019. Skated 20 days often 3 sessions - AM, PM commute and a lunch session. Average is 8.45 miles a day. Second best month total since June of 2018. I credit ZERO rain past 30 days for these numbers.

Also, no injuries. Everything seems to be 100% thanks to those little bites at a time instead of a few big mile days. Shortest day was 1.9 and longest was 14.

I'm happy.
No rain at all in New Orleans for 30 days during hurricane season? How is that possible? I'm glad you are are having happy days. We are about the only traffic in this sub-forum. It can't be just my gloom.