S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:09 PM   #1
ice princess

Default Boot spacing question

Last December I got the chance to let one of the local german boot makers - which are not too many - make a mold, and since then there is some progress, but not too much, because it's just his hobby.

After thinking a while I ordered 195mm spacing, but most of my frames are 165 (5x80, 5x84, HiLo) and just one also 195 (HiLo). The idea was to first use the old Mogema HiLo, and later a 110/100 HiLo in 195mm. But I have no 110mm wheels yet. I've also no 125mm wheels yet, and with a 165mm spacing I could use all the old frames and probably 125mm later, if they really prove to work. But no 110, never...

Maybe I can still change the spacing in the next 1..2 weeks. What do you guys think?
ice princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:53 PM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

You'd be ok with a 165mm mount.

I use an 8 year old Simmons custom with a 165mm mount with a Flyke 165 3x110/1x100 frame and love it.

Since your older frames are 08mm and 84mm frames, you may want to start with a 4x100mm frame, which are also available in 165mm mounts.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #3
reely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice princess View Post
Last December I got the chance to let one of the local german boot makers - which are not too many - make a mold, and since then there is some progress, but not too much, because it's just his hobby.

I've also no 125mm wheels yet, and with a 165mm spacing I could use all the old frames and probably 125mm later, if they really prove to work. But no 110, never...

Maybe I can still change the spacing in the next 1..2 weeks. What do you guys think?
Hello Ice Princess,

LSR and PSlide have frames from 11.8, 12.2, 12.6 and 12.8 3x125 frames 165/195 mounts. The shorter frames are being used here in the states by smaller skaters along with 110s for both indoors and outdoor with great results. People like them for many reasons, feed back... they're lighter and maneuver better. Most of the skaters are under 120lbs.

hope this helps.

Spring, TX.
reely? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 04:58 PM   #4
WJCIV

Did you tell the boot maker you were interested in possibly switching to 125s? I think manufacturing the boot with the proper clearance might be a bigger worry than the spacing. At this point both spacings will work - it's a matter of which frames you expect to use. I just ordered a new boot and decided after some internal debate to stick with the 195 because it gives me flexibility to switch between my 110s and 125s (dual 195/165 Cado).

I'm not convinced about using 125s on smaller skaters just yet, at least indoors. The frame controls the skater more than the other way around, and they build a lot of bad technique habits on crosses. They roll better, so the speed hides that if you aren't paying attention. I hope to get more experience watching how it affects outdoor skaters in the next couple of months. I don't expect it will have the same disadvantages outdoors on straightaways.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #5
ice princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
Did you tell the boot maker you were interested in possibly switching to 125s?
Good point, I didn't. Not to mention that he don't have such modern stuff like 125mm frames to adjust the boots

So I'll follow to other idea, to mostly use the Mogema M155 and a modified M55-84 (has 165mm + 180mm, just needs a slot at 195mm) on that boot. It's all just for fun, I'm not competitive ATM
Old July 26th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #6
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice princess View Post
Good point, I didn't. Not to mention that he don't have such modern stuff like 125mm frames to adjust the boots
It might be worth mentioning to him anyway. My Miller boots from 15 years ago would have fit my new 125 frame if my toe extended just a quarter inch less (size 42 Euro). There was no problem with the second wheel rubbing. My stock Pinnacles from 2.5 years ago did fit it no problem. These were not made with 125s in mind. The Cado frame has more clearance than the Powerslide ones that are causing problems for a lot of people. But if the boot manufacturer isn't aware this might be a requirement he might try to build the blocks fairly low. I would expect that to be even more true the smaller the feet are.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2019, 10:09 PM   #7
ice princess

Default Some years later: different boot, same question

Somehow the last attempt to get a custom boot failed. After the mold and some further visits, there was no more progress for any reason... This year again I felt I need a new boot, and I took the chance to visit a different boot maker. The mold is done, and I'll get a boot this time for sure.

But after using the same old 5x84 (still few set of wheels left) and 104/88 stuff, I must choose the spacing, again. 165mm is out of interest, but I'm not sure if I should order 195mm, or 180mm, which is unusual but has some advantages.

195mm would allow to use my current HiLo frame, plus all currently available frames for 4x110, 3x110+100 and 125's.

180mm would allow to use all my current frames (5x80, 5x84, 3x104/88) and most of the available 125's (Eo, Rollerblade, Cadomotus) which have 2 or 3 front slots. And 180 is more stable than 195. But I can't use any 110 frame.

My limit ATM is not the wheels, I'm not too slow with the old stuff. No idea if I'll ever buy 110's or 125's, so what do you think would be better???