S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 27th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #201
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

I had a rather disappointing weekend at central Florida.

Saturday, did a 27 mile skate with Jessica, ldskater, JonB, Napalm and others at West Orange Trail. I made sure that I have enough warm-up by arriving 1 hour early. So, the ankle didn't bother me this time (I am close on finding a formula for s perfect warm-up), but for some reason , I felt like I had to skate twice as hard as usual.

I was barely hanging on during the outbound leg, and was dropped 3 to 4 miles from the end. According to JonB, we're doing in the 4.30 range, which was no good because I was already skating near my limit.

The inbound leg was even worse. I was dropped very early on, and had to skate alone most of the time. I clocked over 5 minute mile during the last few miles. Something's awfully wrong here. Super hard wheels that I put on may be partly to blame, but I also believe that I was skating much slower than I used to be........

Surprisingly, Napalm was able to stick with the pack all the way to the end. Looks like we have another rising star here.

Then on Sunday, some of us skated the Minneola/Clermont Trail for serious hill training. I did switch to softer wheels, but I was still struggling. Even my hillclimb pace was horrible. But the worst came later, during the first descent. I literally "freaked out" by the speed (and I wasn't even near the bottom yet) and crashed and bruised my tigh badly. I think I had done at least a dozen or more descents on that hill before, but I never panic until today.

I was so pissed that I almost think about simply leaving for home immediately. But I decided to hang around, tried on the smaller hill a couple of times. Then I went back to the big hill. First I did a roll from 1/4 height. Then I increased the height gradually (by counting how many trees next to the trail). I tried 2 trees, 4, 6, 8, 10 and eventually 12 which is the top of the hill. All except the last 2 attempts felt very secure and confident. The last 2 were OK, but I still had a little bit of fear, but nothing unsettling.

I think I am just not ready for A2A yet. I will still train for it, but for next year. I don't want to find out whether I am ready or not at race day.
buzzinghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #202
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Just got home and settled in from the weekends' activities. My feet, legs, and butt are hurting me, but it's a good kind of ache. Saturday was a nice intense workout with a decent sized group - about 8 I think? We got kind of a late start, so it was nice and hot. There were some wet patches on the trail but we all managed to stay upright. We avoided the rain, but it started pouring shortly after we finished. The highlight of the day and talk of the weekend, was the impressive show of power from Napalm, who stuck with the leaders the entire time. And on rec skates. Just imagine what she'll be able to do when she gets speed skates.

When we woke up this morning, it didn't look too good. Lots of ominous cloud cover and tons of moisture in the air. It remained that way for the rest of the morning, but we didn't have one drop of rain for our skate. Unfortunately we did have a couple of crashes - the one Buzz told you about, and also Luke, who slipped on a patch of moss. Tore up his elbow and leg pretty good. But, both kept going, cuz they're tough

Good weekend - great friends.
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #203
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Jessica,

Have you ever tabbed your frame?
I read this quickly before I left for the weekend, but at the time I didn't know what tabbing meant. I was filled in over the weekend. I might give that a try and see if it makes a difference. I need to try heat molding again, because I don't think I had them hot enough. Still had the same ole trouble spots over the weekend, although they weren't as bad today as they were yesterday.
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #204
gless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
Yum! Spaghetti "O's" after a 39 mile skate! Makes it all worthwhile doesn't it. JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
They were "Dora" shaped spaghetti Os, thank you very much.
John B...if you come up to the Cinci bed and breakfast I'll make sure we have a special dinner in your honor...I'll cater out some Dora Spaghetti "O's" prepared by a locally renowned chef just for you...but remember you could only get that if you complete the 39 mile skate earlier in the day ...you know we have house rules for this sort of thing......
gless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #205
NWGlenn

Sun. 08 27 AM: Seattle to Redmond Skate for MS, 25 miler. Overall time was 1:51:19 / 13.51 mph... a decent improvement from last year when it was 2:01:35. Then 2hr of finish line stuff: awards, raffles & atta-boys. Hit the trail again with SlowSkate to pick up our vehicles, his half-way, mine all the way at the Start line. 'Had to take it easy going back; that 2hr rest(?) just about wasted me.

PM: Making session skate with #1 son & his branch
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #206
online inline

good job, Glen, still can't believe you skated back to the starting line, as i've pretty much resigned myself to not being able to get out of a chair for the rest of the day. You will be ready for A2A.

Mark, nice going, co-piloting Madeline on her 5K. I hope the pics i took for you come out okay. I was really trying to figure our how i could take some pictures of myself, but hey, not even a fancy camera like yours can do that, i suppose.

slowks8- saw you at the Ceremonies, but missed the chance to pass some pleasantries with ya - next time.

All in all, a great day for skating in the NW.

Let the good times roll.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #207
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Hey O-I -- It was fun to see you too! And The pics that you took came out

I'm a bit behind on my posting here...

Aug 24 - PM
Where: Evergreen
What 26.2 miles
Conditions: nice

Did it in 1:58:00 at a nice low average HR of 160. Worked on landing my edges and I felt so tired from doing that that it was not funny.

Aug 25 Off
Aug 26 Off
Aug 27 5K at the MS skate

I did it in 17 minutes but that included stopping and taking pictures of the kids sprinting past them and stopping etc.

Madeline did it in 18:17 for an average of 10.8MPH with a max speed of 14.5.
Best mile 5:20/11.2!!!

Pictures from the MS Skate

O-I --> check out http://www.bremertonspeed.org/2006/2...2-hc8u8188.htm and the last page.

NWGlenn:http://www.bremertonspeed.org/2006/2...0-hc8u8696.htm And no, will not be at session (but you've already left your house, so why am I typing this?)
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #208
online inline

Mark, et. al., race results posted here:
http://http://www.milliseconds.com/ResultsQuery.php?varRaceID=881

you've got to do a lot of digging through, but it appears to be at least partially there. It looks like they dropped a few of the top finishers like Jamie Anderson's and ChucK Henderson's times out, and myabe few more like Gary Gandhee, and they have the whole thing all mixed up beween half marathon and full...
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:29 AM   #209
NWGlenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue;1158
NWGlenn:[url
http://www.bremertonspeed.org/2006/2006-08-MS/100-hc8u8696.htm[/url] And no, will not be at session (but you've already left your house, so why am I typing this?)
What was I so amazed at?... Cheer Leaders? Maybe. Definitely not O-I's feet, I'm sure I would have had a different expression for that.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #210
online inline

Yeah, Cheerleaders! Beat that, midwesterners.
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #211
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Yeah, Cheerleaders! Beat that, midwesterners.
Great results, Online! I'm more impressed though that according to the race results webpage you are 99 years old. And still jazzed about cheerleaders, no less... Must be the clean living!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #212
speedysktr
President of Everything

They need the cheerleaders just to get you to finish sorting through the results: Keep on reading! Keep on reading! Go Speedy, Go Speedy if he cant find it no one can!!!yaaayyyy!!!! woooo!!!
Well folks, this is a watershed moment. Not only do we see an awesome time, but also a name AND a face to go with it. The elusive OI is out of the bag. I say we corner him and tickle him at Duluth.

Now about those cheerleaders. I need pics of chicks w/pom poms... and not just a link to Marks photo page (see above with sorting and the scrolling) Let's further clarify, I need pics of chicks w/pom poms bouncing etc AT THE EVENT!!
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #213
Pepper Montana

Speedy,
Surprised you missed this, it was out front. The crew from the Pacific Northwest is exceptional! Killer times from the senior citizens. Online, are you really 99? Here are the cheerleaders... I believe "Maumee" is Native American for, "Those 110s really roll!"
Old August 28th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #214
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Speedy -- Here you go...http://www.bremertonspeed.org/2006/2...2-hc8u8557.htm
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #215
Pepper Montana

Speedy,
Who are you going to believe? Me, or a guy named Virtue?

Never mind...

Nice pictures, Mark.
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #216
speedysktr
President of Everything

alrighty, then. I guess we suck.
Face it, dmorg, it's all been a big lie,
who are we kidding?
I'm sick of skating, it's so stupid. I quit.

God, I hate myself.
Old August 28th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #217
Code Monkey

This weekend I was going to go and skate forty miles with my new found training partner, she on mountain bike and I chase her. Actually works very well. Sometime I will get a picture off because I know we look interesting because we get lots of looks, see she is 6'7'' and I am a mere petite 6'. She is a great training partner and actually meets me out at 5 am. Well we start and I am just trying to stay at a good pace, double pushing as best I can and concentrating on form. Julie (training partner) keeps track of my heart rate and distance. I stopped wearing the heart rate monitor and now just wear the chest strap because I am finding it detracts seriously from my skating performance. Thinking to much about numbers and what they mean and less on form and how I am feeling. At every ten mile mark Julie calls out. I am going along and at the thirty mile mark I start pushing harder because I know I only have ten more miles to go. It was great except I could feel the heat and humidity and my feet were feeling tender spots, you know that feeling that when you take your skate off you know exactly where the blister is going to be. But then something strange happens at the forty mile call out and I want to see if I can do another ten. Julie laughs and encourages me, calling me "animal". About two miles into the next ten I am thinking I made a mistake, my entire body hurts. My butt has turned to iron. I have been swaying back and forth so long and so much that I am feeling a little disoriented, almost like sea sickness. But I keep going and am now taking in "amino vital" drink and GU. The temperature is now near 98 degrees and I am pushing myself mentally. The interesting thing is I am not pronating at all. My skate set down is better now than at the beginning. I am watching myself skate and it feels like it has become autonomic. So I think I will just see if I can do fifty and stop if I puke. Well, I never puke and I finish fifty miles. Fifty fricken miles!!! I actually felt like I am really getting to the point where I could skate with you all. After a very long cool down and as recommended by Julie to put cool packs on my feet we went and ate. It was a couple of hours after skating so I felt fine just a little slow mentally. I ate like two horses. Then once I was home my son and his friend were playing Xbox baseball and I laid down to watch and instantly fell asleep. Took a four hour nap. Wow! Today I feel fine. Just my feet have been brutalized. I was laughing at myself and proud at the same time and was thinking as I was soaking my feet in tea and salt solution, I don't have Frankenankle but if I keep this up (which I intend to) I will have Frankenfooten.

Jessica, go to nettracing.com and look at what he says on tabbing a boot. Also I forgot to mention, not only powder your boot but before skating powder your feet a lot.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #218
speedysktr
President of Everything

Thumbs up

In a room lit only by candles, a skeleton hand reaches from
inside of a heavy cloak holding a blood tipped quill.
The name "Code Monkey" is added to the list that reads:

BAD TO THE BONE
Old August 28th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #219
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Aug 26:
12 Mile bike ride with Ethan (my son). I should've brought the GPS for him to wear, since his main question was, "how close are we now?"

Aug 27:
Indoor speed practice. My first in 4 months. OMG, my legs are on FIRE this morning! Ethan did very, VERY well. He has grown a little since the last time we skated indoors, so he didn't seem as awkward as he did.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #220
Code Monkey

Thanks speedy, it was really a big thing for me. I'm trying to catch you. Sure it may be at the bar after a A2A but at least I'll have finished it although way behind you but we won't talk about that to much.

Hey what wheels do you use for long distance outdoors?
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote