S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #41
Sacha Evans

We're lucky to have the choice of two skating rinks within a 20 drive from home. Most of the time, it's occupied by heaps of kids/tweens and those filthy rollerbladers...

My only problem is I feel they should separate speeds skates into age groups ie 14 and under and keep them divided into a quads only and bladers only. Apart from that, you hardly notice the raisins and dropped food on the ground...
Storm In a D Cup #18
Remember, a bitch on the floor doesn't score
Sacha Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #42
Rinkrat63
Level IV SEDS

Thanks to both of you for the input. We have to institute a time out area. Space is short but we need to carve some out. We will work on it and I will let you folks know how things progress.

-Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post
Hi Rinkrat63,

Got's to go with MANY_SkatingDave on this one too, discipline and structure he's suggesting is usually better and more useful, than Banning folks from the Rink. Exceptions would be major behavior / drugs / weapons issues. His suggestions are what I've used over the years to good effect.

Harold
Rinkrat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #43
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Time Out Areas can be small

Hi Jim,

It just has to be a corner or small area someplace right next to the skating floor. Nothing fancy since eventually it gets used only for the next new crop of kids (males and females) and then it is unused till the next season or crop. Kids learn fast.

You got to remember they want to skate, and be with or show off to their friends in sometimes unruly ways. The closer you keep them to the floor the more they are willing to allow you and Sophie to make the rules so they can get out of prison.

It won't work for all, so you will still have to use a range of disciplines.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

P.S. Remember this young kid, not speaking of English, that was on the floor with a loose jacket that could fall-off and cause a major crash. Well I tried to get him to realize I just wanted him to put his jacket down, yet instead he stayed off the floor not knowing what was wrong. After a bit I had to get him back out on the floor again - o - without his jacket.

Working with kids/scouts/youth and even some adults is the same as working with someone who only understands a foreign language.
Old September 15th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #44
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Guys and then Gals Cone Quad Speed Skate

Hi Again Jim,
you too Sophie,

Wanted to post this before I forgot about it. I already forgot about it 3 or more times.

This is an observation from one rink I skated at as an older adult for several years. Only two of us on the teen night sessions, with an occasional weak skating parent. My one skate-only friend was a whole lot better than me and could do all the chin to the floor tricks.

The Skate Rink Owner, I felt, had happened onto a great idea to burst all that teen energy early and control teen hyper energy. Within a short while of the beginning bell he had a speed skate for the guys and then one for the gals. It was rather a long speed skate. Sometimes he did this again later in the session.

The result was a lot more calmness. I told Kenny he was clever.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

P.S. Only but one idea to control the mayhem

Edit-01: The speed skates were also broken up by age. Don't remember if it was under 12 or 13. So it would be 2 guy skates followed by 2 girl skates.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; September 18th, 2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Adding
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #45
Knighttime
DA-45 Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
The Skate Rink Owner, I felt, had happened onto a great idea to burst all that teen energy early and control teen hyper energy. Within a short while of the beginning bell he had a speed skate for the guys and then one for the gals. It was rather a long speed skate. Sometimes he did this again later in the session.
Knighttime is offline   Reply With Quote