S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old January 21st, 2010, 02:45 PM   #1
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Default Chad Hedrick

I guess Chad will be competing in the Winter Olympics this year. He was on the Today Show and did mention Inline Skating although the focus was on ice. I did find an article on him:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...69856%2C00.jpg

Hope it comes up!
Moto
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:12 AM   #2
eighteen_psi
Falcon Heavy

He's a good guy. Here's hoping he'll be able to be a voice for the inline side of sport one way or another through his success.
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #3
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

I joined the Colbert Nation. I tried to get Colbert to challenge Hedrick to an inline skate race and raise awareness of inline racing for the Olympics. I could not believe they chose golf over inline skating. I mean the best golf has is, what's his name, Tiger Woodie or something like that. I'd encourage others to join the Colbert Nation and push him to raise inline awareness thru his support of the ice skating team.
Moto
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #4
No1TopGun

No better person than Chad to represent the inline into the Olympics cause & good luck to him in Vancouver
No1TopGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #5
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Well we are close to the nitty gritty and the hype is out there! MSN has a short clip of Chad inline skating and talking about tripping on a squirrel at 25 MPH. Since I am moving to Corpus I need to go up to Houston and check out the family rinks. Hope his Olympic aspirations come true this time around!
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/ass...0485842.html#t
Old February 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #6
online inline

Chad beat Shani Davis, the recognized favorite, in a recent world cup 1500 meter, so there is some talk that Chad could pull an upset or two. You simply can't rule out a guy with that big a heart, that strong a will to win, and with that much power. And with Trevor Marsicano not far behind those two in the 1500, we just might see a U.S sweep of that distance in the Olympics, as Dan Jansen pointed out in the run ups to the events.

Anyway, it would trully be magnificent to see Chad leave the sport with something glittering around his neck. You have to consider that this will likely be his last, and with a history like his, i hope the sport of ice skating gives back to him some of the fun and sparkle and excitement that he has given to ice and especially to inline.

He's not really the favorite right now, which won't stop a fighter like him. I'd love to see that big infectious texas smile once again, proving to the world that this guy can do what no one thought was ever possible.

(ONE MORE THING: IT WOULD BE NICE IF NO ONE WOULD SPOIL RESULTS UNTIL AFTER THE EVENTS PLAYED ON TELEVISION THAT NIGHT. ALSO CONSIDER THAT WEST COST TIME IS 3 HOURS BEHIND EAST COAST TIME, SO OLYMPIC COVERAGE FOR TODAY DOESN'T EVEN START UNTIL 7:30 PST, WHICH WOULD BE 10:30 EASTERN TIME.)
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #7
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

They are not televising in real time for Washington State? What a shame if they are not!
Moto
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #8
online inline

yeah, i suppose it was. But a lot of us don't catch it until they do the evening segment as that fits into our schedule. Was lucky to catch the daytime stuff today, though, as well.
Good day of skating. Hope you all caught some of it.
Old February 14th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #9
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

I was doing other things although got a good skate in. I did look at the results, not as good as I had hoped. The weather in Vancouver really is pitiful, warmer there than in New Mexico! The window for an athlete in speedskating is so short. Now how about those Dutch! Golly, gee!
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #10
online inline

i was able to watch every minute!
Good stuff is right. Sven Kramer is just unstoppable.
It was exciting to see Shani tool it up to try to stay with him early, and kudos to him for the effort, but neither him nor Chad could sustain that pace.
In the paper this morning, it was amusing to read that the US skaters were taking the loss in good stride, and i had to laugh out loud to read that the "quickly aging" Chad is glad to have skated "his last 5k ever."
Short track - what a story there. Just glad tha t J.R. recovered and prevailed. Appollo, too.
(Please note that i could wave my regional flag here but i am above that.... mostly).
Old February 14th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #11
MIKEPANTELAKIS

I'm kinda upset about the 5000, but in all reality, Sven does deserve it. He has been battling Chad for somewhere around 5 or 6 years and now gets the Gold. Way to go Sven and Chad. Can't wait to see more great racing this week!!!
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #12
online inline

yeah, i was kinda hoping that places 2 through 10 would fall in the final turn, allowing USA to clinch a couple of medals!!! LOL.
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #13
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Sablikova really dusted her competition! Very powerful skater and skilled. Here are the times and some clips:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/speed-ska...000/index.html

Moto
Old February 15th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #14
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosk8ter View Post
Sablikova really dusted her competition! Very powerful skater and skilled. Here are the times and some clips:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/speed-ska...000/index.html

Moto
Sablikova gave me hope for being a good skater in spite of my spindly legs! She really was fun to watch, quickstepping the turns, and strrrreeeeeetching it out on the straights...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #15
online inline

Bill, that's just what i thought, too. It's instructive to have the long trackers skate in pairs. Even to the uninitiated, with just a little attention to detail, you can see how the leader's form is usually noticably better than the trailing skater's.
It was also cool to see a skater pull one of for their country (in her case, Czk) that is not one of the tradiotional powerhouses- US, Dutch, etc).

Hey, on another note, one thing that crossed my mind - there's been so much talk about why inline can't break into the olympics. Now, we have long track ice and short track ice already- two different sports that are already skate sports based in speed.

I certainly love inline and want it in, but i have to wonder, to the general public, and the olympic committee has to consider the general public's interest, is inline just too similar to a sport(s) that is already such a major part of the olympics? Would the public have this reaction in the summer of hey, didn't we just see this 2 years ago (in the winter olympics?) I know that the actual performance of the sport is very different between ice and inline, but i just wonder if to your average viewer, they look and feel the same, and are therefore going to get bored becuase they are. I am mainly thinking of short track ice compared with indoor inline or on the banked track.
Just a thought.
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #16
uelsk8s

here is another perspective: Millions of people tune in to watch cars go round and round each week, and your worried about them getting bored after 2 years.
uelsk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #17
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Hey, on another note, one thing that crossed my mind - there's been so much talk about why inline can't break into the olympics. Now, we have long track ice and short track ice already- two different sports that are already skate sports based in speed.

I certainly love inline and want it in, but i have to wonder, to the general public, and the olympic committee has to consider the general public's interest, is inline just too similar to a sport(s) that is already such a major part of the olympics? Would the public have this reaction in the summer of hey, didn't we just see this 2 years ago (in the winter olympics?) I know that the actual performance of the sport is very different between ice and inline, but i just wonder if to your average viewer, they look and feel the same, and are therefore going to get bored becuase they are. I am mainly thinking of short track ice compared with indoor inline or on the banked track.
Just a thought.
OL/IL, I have to agree with you in that thinking. I cannot tell you the excitement I will have at the first tee off as golf rolls into the Olympics over inline skating. The duplicity of the sports does not speak well of inline being added. Are there any other parallel sports between summer and winter sports in the Olympics? They do have hockey and soccer. Where do you draw the line of what distinguishes a sport? Great point!
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #18
online inline

also consider this - what if we starting seeing a fair amount of the same skaters competing in both? In no time flat, the olympic committee would be asking itself, how the heck did we get ourselves into this? You;d have to figure that a guy like Jordan Malone would be in both. And if skaters knew both had their draws, i would bet you'd see a lot of them plugging away at both. I mean, even if they are slightly different, it would be a bit of a deterent to acceptance to think that the world would be watching the same skating powerhouses all over again for another two years. Just the thought of it is enough to make you think twice about heading in that direction....
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #19
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosk8ter View Post
They do have hockey and soccer.
Dude, they have hockey and hockey! Ice hockey and field hockey...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #20
online inline

LOL.