S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:10 AM   #1
M5tty

Wink Ice Skating to Inline

Hey,

I have been ice skating for about 2 and a half years now, about 7 - 15 hours a week, but the rink is too far away and I would love more skate time so I have decided to try inlines.

The only issue is what skates to buy, for ice skating I have Bauer X60's but I dont know the first thing about inline skating so need some advice. On ice I can do quite a few tricks and things such as Grapevine (straightline footwork), barrel roll and others and just wondered what skates would be most suitable for the same sort of thing on inlines.

Im guessing some sort of freestyle skate such as the Rollerblade Fusion X3 would be a good starter but any advice would be apprciated.

Many Thanks
Matt

P.s if anyone knows any good skate shops in Southampton England please let me know.
M5tty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 02:04 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5tty View Post
Hey,

I have been ice skating for about 2 and a half years now, about 7 - 15 hours a week, but the rink is too far away and I would love more skate time so I have decided to try inlines.

The only issue is what skates to buy, for ice skating I have Bauer X60's but I dont know the first thing about inline skating so need some advice. On ice I can do quite a few tricks and things such as Grapevine (straightline footwork), barrel roll and others and just wondered what skates would be most suitable for the same sort of thing on inlines.

Im guessing some sort of freestyle skate such as the Rollerblade Fusion X3 would be a good starter but any advice would be apprciated.

Many Thanks
Matt

P.s if anyone knows any good skate shops in Southampton England please let me know.
Your ice skates are a leather boot, in-lines are hard shell, different world, you might think about roller skates, advantage-leather boots, great fit and comfort. If you wanted to go straight and fast in-lines would be faster then roller skates but you want to play and dance which roller skates are made for and as mentioned, more comfortable during.
Yes on that side of the pond people are using hard shell roller skates, but that's bound to evolve.
I'm sure the skaters here(forum) from there will pipe in about shops locally but if not do a search, older threads will mention the shops available to you.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:34 PM   #3
rubin427

I'm a beginner, so take my advice with caution and do your own homework before you buy anything.

Have you heard of Slalom inline skating? Boots fit snug for better control during footwork. wheels have a "rocker" setup for improved mobility. Basically the middle two wheels are larger than those on the toe and heal to improve responsiveness in turning.

You'll be able to tell in just a few seconds of watching video if slalom might be what your interested in. My favorite example is:

Slalom In Paris (youtube)
rubin427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 09:18 PM   #4
M5tty

oh yess sorry i should have made it clearer, im interested in slalom on inline skates.

About my skates being leather ?? they are a composite material (i think) and they are exceedingly hard, very hard (impossible) to bend or move and are high end ice hockey boots.

and when you talk about "Roller Skates" do you mean quad skates ( ie 2 wheels on each side) ??

But many thanks for your comments much appreciated.

Only issue is the lack of shops i have found for skates.

thanks again and any other advice would be gladly recieved
M5tty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:03 PM   #5
rubin427

The only skates I know for slalom are the kind I own: Seba Highs. As a new skater, they were hell to break in, but now I love them.
I got mine from www.skatecrazy.net.

The 2012 model is looking good to me - notice that the frames have rocker built in. Alas, I have the 2010s (even though I just bought them some months back).

Seba also makes other slalom skates, but they are more expensive. The igor and some of the other top end skates.

I know powerslide makes a slalom skate. But I don't know the model number. (is it the hardcore evo?)

I know the Rollerblade twister is targeted at slalom skaters.
rubin427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Acid Burn
Rollerskatin' Parts Wench

if you wanted to spend a hearty chunk of change, you could probably have a pair of hockey boots relasted for inline skating.

Have you tried yet? I grew up figure skating, but can't skate on inlines to save my life. I do great on quads, but can't do a lot of stuff on quads that I could on figure skates.
Acid Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #7
inlina
ABEC42

If you are headed into the slalom type area of skating, then the RB Fusions are definitely an option. Also have a look at the Seba range (everything looks pretty good but there and their range is slalom/freeride focussed) or RB Twisters. It looks like K2 has gotten out of the slalom/freeride business almost as quick as they got into it.

If in doubt as to the specific, maybe try the slalom sub-forum.

CG
Old October 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM   #8
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

If you find the Bauer's comfortable they do an inline version of most if not all of their ice hockey boots.

If cost is no object then you could go for the RX-60 which is (as far as I'm aware) the same construction as your ice boots but in black - http://www.bauer.com/gear/roller/skates/7724-BAUER

As you can see from my avatar pic, I own a pair of RX-05 boots that I've converted into quads and, after an initial break-in period they're the most comfortable pair of skates I've worn - I bought them from the skate shop in Wigan Roller Rink .

Being hockey skates they're tough enough to stand up to the kind of abuse you might put them through.

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:59 PM   #9
Metaphor

OP, I'd go with either twisters or the fusions. I have a fusion x3 shell on an x5 frame - the x5 frame is higher quality than the x3 (the x7 frame is too long for slalom). On the shell, I also had a ratchet buckle added instead of the lower cuff basic strap, as it's a piece of crap.

I hope you have fun! Slalom skating is a blast.

Edit: oh god, I'm over a month late to the party. sorry.

Last edited by Metaphor; November 1st, 2011 at 08:12 AM.
Metaphor is offline   Reply With Quote