S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:33 AM   #21
Ice Ramps

Some recreational skates would be fine to start off with. There are several decent brands out there CCM, K2, even Rollerblade makes a ice skate:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rollerblade-...item2c61e84dea

One consideration would drying those type of skates after a session.

-Dale
Ice Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #22
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Ramps View Post
Some recreational skates would be fine to start off with. There are several decent brands out there CCM, K2, even Rollerblade makes a ice skate

One consideration would drying those type of skates after a session.
Thanks Dale! That's was the sort of thing I was looking for. However I started reading, and finding out how sloppy and flimsy these skates are. And the blades aren't very good metal. And as you mention the drying problem. Not to mention the minimum US$100 shipping (Which I bet you know ALL about too, given your current locale), and decided I was going to pay a heap of money for something not that great. Does nobody make anything like a Seba inline for ice?. So, given this as a reasonable excuse, I cobbled something together instead .

I bought a pair of these (Nike Flexlite 4.0 made circa 2006?):

and dug these out of my skate parts bin (K2 Soul 7, made circa 2008?):

(US$40, and a sunk cost, respectively)

and proceeded to make an unholy marriage of the two.

Presenting (mainly for the amusement of my fellow "makers" here) - The Nike K2 Flexlite 4.0 Soul 7 Ice Skate:

Or should it be the NiK1 Flex2.0 Soul3.5? Whatever, some skate designer somewhere is rolling in their grave.

Essentially I'm using the cut down hockey skate as a hard shell, with the inline cuff and the rear half of the liner and tongue stuffed inside. Pretty much like my slalom inlines/seba FR1s/RB Twisters etc. Cuff bolts through the hockey skate's shell. Had to add a little polypropylene reinforcing in that area, but that was no biggie.

They work a *treat*. Just got back from a 2.5 hours session, and no blisters, hotspots, pressure points, lace bite or discomfort of any sort, whilst still being ultra supportive for my less than stellar ankle. Only 1050g too. The big rocker was a bit disconcerting at first, even though I do rocker my inlines, but again, just a matter of having faith and getting familiarity, and I got the hang of it. Lack of a heel was no issue whatsoever - probably due to a trial-by-fire with my short+forward quads.

And you were right, it's really nice having newly sharpened edges too. Especially on clean ice.
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #23
Ice Ramps

Very cool Blacklace, very creative too which something I especially like! As far as rec skates being flimsy, they aren't that bad...... I had some I used and liked pretty good but I had like 5 pairs of ice skates and a friend of mine needed a pair so I gave them to him. Post up some pics of your creation please!

-Dale
Ice Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #24
inlina
ABEC42

Good work.