S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old December 24th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Wicked Shanna

Default Learning to skate with Internet

Hi there!

Small introduction to start with : 28, former skater (quads) when child / teen, haven't skate for a decade, creating a roller derby team in Poitiers (FRANCE).

I've just received my quads, I've chosen a pair of Vixen Riedell with Radar FlatOuts 88A and Triple 8 protective gear. I've tried them last night, in my living-room (tiled floor) with lot of things to grab around, and well, I feel like I've got everything to learn again.

I'm living in a small town (around 5000 people) and the derby team I'm part of is about 70km away, so I won't be able to practice every night with the girls. I need to train by myself between 2 team sessions and I was wondering if you knew any good things on Internet that could help me a little.

I've already found some interesting video on YouTube but extra advice will be great.

I'm also looking for tips from heavy-weighted skaters or not sportive one to help me with my quads and skating kills

Merry Christmas to you all!
Old December 24th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #2
KMA

Wear your skates as much as possible. At the beginning rolling around your house folding laundry, doing dishes, it will help.

Skate out side. I would get some outdoor wheels ( to me your regular derby wheels are out door wheels, but you might not want to use them outside, and keep them nice for the rink.)

Work off skates on your balance. Stand on one foot for as long as you can. Squats one leg, two legs, core work.

All of that will help your skating.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Wicked Shanna

Thanks for the advice Kate!

I was really surprised by the weight of my quads - I knew alu plates were heavier than nylon ones but still, once on your feet, that's heavy!

Is there any workout I could do about this or will it just get easier with time and practice ?
Old December 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #4
KMA

I did not notice the difference, but i skate a lot, and there was no way at my size I could have nylon plates, way too much flex.

I started at 180 lbs and a size 16, now I am 162 but a size 8. Same brand jeans. I have loads more muscle then when I started.

I skate team dance, figures, speed and occasionally dable in derby. 5-7 days a week; 12-18 hours a week of practice and off skates on some days.

Off skates push ups, dips, planks, side planks, speed squats. Also specifically for speed and building leg muscle 60 seconds of each: in place jogging with high knees, in place jogging with butt kicks, jumping jacks, side to side things with a knee raise, jump up lunge to one side and touch ground. Followed by a two minute break then the same thing again for 30 seconds of each a little bit faster. Followed by the same thing 15 seconds as fast as you can go. This sequence killllls.

There is a derby one, but I don't go to derby often enough for it to stick. I remember it is mostly core. Planks, and v-sits.

I also just bought a TRX and M really enjoying the workout.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Wicked Shanna

Thanks Kate

Gonna schedule some workout during the week!
Old December 26th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Slow the Reps, Skate Outside Maybe

Hi

Welcome, We have greater than two from France over the years. Hope one day you get to see Jean-? ? 'Rollerman'. He looks like a fun guy.

Katy has given you some good stuff. The only thing I would say is slow down the quantity and duration as you get started. Maybe you can only do 10 or 20 seconds and then build up to Katy's level. You should also do or improve on the core exercises your Derby team uses. Learn how you might replace one of their exercises, lets say for Quads with one Katy is giving.

I would do something every day. Some days just minor stuff.

Find a place outdoors, close by and as Katy wrote use different wheels then you use indoors. Some people use parking lots, paved playgrounds or courts. It all depends on the surface.

More I hope is under Fitness and maybe Derby for how to put an exercise program together.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

P.S. Skated with some Derby Gals from Portland, Maine last week. They were all nice. When I asked the one larger girl (bigger than Katy's old weight) how she liked skating with us she said it was good. The only negative was she didn't get to hit anyone. Heck she still was nice.
Old December 26th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #7
Wicked Shanna

Thanks Dave!

I surely adjust to my own fit and experience, I've starting running 2 weeks ago, I'm quite new to sport in general so I know I have to go easy on this

I live in a long and large boulevard, the pavement will be great for practicing outdoor.
Old December 27th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #8
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Other than Running/Jogging

Hi FR-Shanna

I don't agree with Running or Jogging or even TreadMills. I believe if you hiked on mountain trails, walked on uneven pathways, or swam using various strokes each would be good. Each of these adds some strengthening exercises to side muscles and ligaments around your knee, hip, ankle.

I do think that variations of what Katy gave you would be better for you to do on off days. I see she has some side to side stuff that adds some twist, yet not sure if her routine adds enough side motion.

We have seen(read) gals that add yoga, judo, other stretching stuff that should build supporting tissue that Derby excludes yet relies upon to keep you strong.

P.S. Your running reminds me of a young man runner that I ticked off years ago. He got hurt running and wanted to use hard skating as part of his rehabilitation plan. Well I got MAD at him for potentially hurting himself more and he left calling me names. I guess I could have done better.
Old December 27th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Wicked Shanna

Well the running part is more for endurance than muscles growth really for now, but I see what you mean.

I also do some WiiFit to work on my balance and flexibility (I was a dancer for 8 years ).

Maybe I should do some swimming instead of running, especially with my shape.
Old December 27th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #10
Salamanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Shanna View Post
Hi there!

Small introduction to start with : 28, former skater (quads) when child / teen, haven't skate for a decade, creating a roller derby team in Poitiers (FRANCE).
Good luck with your new league!
I may pop over for a visit in the future. One of my closest friends had just moved to France from Australia a fortnight ago and is not too far from you (Mouilleron en Pareds).
Old December 27th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #11
Wicked Shanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamanda View Post
Good luck with your new league!
I may pop over for a visit in the future. One of my closest friends had just moved to France from Australia a fortnight ago and is not too far from you (Mouilleron en Pareds).
Thanks Salamanda! It's really not that far indeed! We'll be happy to see you
Old December 28th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #12
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Swimming would be Great

Hi Again,

Glad you are receptive.

Not sure what you mean by 'shape' since to me it has two meanings. It might mean your physical shape (endurance, and all that stuff), or the actual shape of your body.

If you do have a place you can go easily, swimming will benefit both the upper body and the lower body if you keep changing strokes. BTW if out of shape it might take some time or creativity to get an aerobic benefit of a straight 20-30 minutes. Basically slow down a stroke and keep going slow and steady. BTW I don't have an available place, or time to do swimming yet I know it would be helpful since I do it when I go to Hotels.

If you noticed I didn't add biking, which I have greatly enjoyed, only because it is rigid on not adding side motion. It is great otherwise and that is what I advised that runner to do whom I noted in my previous post. Biking would have kept him from pounding the pavement causing stress to his running injury. Actually I should have gave him swimming and he still he would have been mad at me.

Dancing Practice Stuff is good except for that On-Point stuff if your dancing was ballet. Could tell stories about my daughter yet won't. She also was a horse rider (English Style)

Old January 7th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #13
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Shanna View Post
Well the running part is more for endurance than muscles growth really for now, but I see what you mean.

I also do some WiiFit to work on my balance and flexibility (I was a dancer for 8 years ).

Maybe I should do some swimming instead of running, especially with my shape.
Grab some inline rec skates instead of running......lowers the impact on your knees [not counting falls...wear pads!!]and it's better exercise!!!

and yes the skills for inline translate well for quads.....the muscles you use the stabilize your side to side on inlines are one of the reasons inline skating beats running for time+effort=results exercises.
Inline rec skates are also pretty cheap to get a good used pair, perform better outside, and you wont wreak your quads.
I skate quads outside as well but....I have 2 pairs that ONLY skate out side....and then I like smooth trails. Inlines I'll go for more varied terrain.

" I am in shape.....round is a shape!!!"
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #14
Wicked Shanna

Thanks for the advice. Inline skate, I don't know, not sure I would manage to stay up on my feet...

I went swimming and it was quite good, I think I'm gonna buy some flippers.

On the quads side, I'm wearing them at home to get used to them, working on how to stop! I'm improving...
Old January 10th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #15
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Great News

Hi Shanna,

Great news that you are swimming.

Here is what I noticed in my last swim before 01Jan. My legs due to many years of skating are quite good except for some side stuff that stresses the left injured knee's range and strength of motion.

SO when I couldn't keep up the arm stuff, due to exhaustion, I held onto the pool edge and moved my legs in crazy ways and then resumed the arm stuff as soon as I could. I wanted to go at least 25minutes continually.

It is good you are doing Quads at home, although I would hope you would have a rink close by to get more skate time on Quads. I know several gals who skate in their hall ways on wood floors or roll up rugs. And btw some of these gals wear their skates all around the house including watching the tele.

You are ON the PATH