S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old October 1st, 2011, 11:04 AM   #1
andichristine

Default Newbie thoughts.

So on Thursday September 29th, I went to a recruitment meet and greet for the Angel City Derby Girls. it was a LOT of fun. but painful too. I don't have my own skates yet, nor do I have pads. But thankfully, it was at a skating rink where you can rent out a pair of skates.

First things first, I fell about ten times and not only was I proud of every fall but I got right back up and kept going every time. Second, I have bruises on my knees which I am quite proud of!

So, I want to say that all of the girls there were SO nice. They were encouraging and every so often, a few of them would take me aside and give me pointers on how to get lower and improve the way I was skating.

After we did some exercises [squats and push ups!], we split up into newbies and experienced. Us new girls were taught just super basic stuff. and after that, we got back into a big group and did a fun relay race where three groups had to weave around cones on the rink and then do 10 push ups. When I went across, my team was cheering me on and it just felt really great. I can't explain it... it's like... I finally had people believing in me. I had that the entire night. Yes, I kept falling; no, I wasn't perfect. But over two hours, I improved greatly. Why? Because I kept telling myself that yes, this will be hard and painful and I'll fall a million and one times. But so has every other derby girl. Every one of them was where I was, skills wise, at one point. A friend of mine said, "Failure is only permanent if you quit." And that's my new motto when it comes to derby. I want to improve. I want to be a derby girl. I want to do this. And although my uber sore muscles are protesting, I'm going to continue this because I had SO much fun.
andichristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:41 AM   #2
Cheiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by andichristine View Post
So on Thursday September 29th, I went to a recruitment meet and greet for the Angel City Derby Girls. it was a LOT of fun. but painful too. I don't have my own skates yet, nor do I have pads. But thankfully, it was at a skating rink where you can rent out a pair of skates.

First things first, I fell about ten times and not only was I proud of every fall but I got right back up and kept going every time. Second, I have bruises on my knees which I am quite proud of!

So, I want to say that all of the girls there were SO nice. They were encouraging and every so often, a few of them would take me aside and give me pointers on how to get lower and improve the way I was skating.

After we did some exercises [squats and push ups!], we split up into newbies and experienced. Us new girls were taught just super basic stuff. and after that, we got back into a big group and did a fun relay race where three groups had to weave around cones on the rink and then do 10 push ups. When I went across, my team was cheering me on and it just felt really great. I can't explain it... it's like... I finally had people believing in me. I had that the entire night. Yes, I kept falling; no, I wasn't perfect. But over two hours, I improved greatly. Why? Because I kept telling myself that yes, this will be hard and painful and I'll fall a million and one times. But so has every other derby girl. Every one of them was where I was, skills wise, at one point. A friend of mine said, "Failure is only permanent if you quit." And that's my new motto when it comes to derby. I want to improve. I want to be a derby girl. I want to do this. And although my uber sore muscles are protesting, I'm going to continue this because I had SO much fun.
Awesome and inspiring story! Thank you for sharing, one of the things I love most about skating is you are constantly falling and getting back up, very few things in life give you the opportunity to routinely face setbacks and prove yourself to yourself..welcome to the skating world
Old October 2nd, 2011, 05:14 AM   #3
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Excellent. Take it from a 50 yr old guy with creaky bones, falling is a LOT easier with good pads.

I have been session skating for about 4 years and I skate well, going backwards fast and curvey most of the time. I just started going to some co-ed derby scrimmages in Huntington Beach. I have been to 4, and it is a lot of fun.

Also, one of the girls I scrimmage with actually has a real life skate shop in Long Beach on 4th st. Moxi Skates. You can google it. I mention this because she actually has a number of skates on display for derby and casual skating. I was there Friday getting a toe guard for my skates. I also noticed some used skates as well. I believe the proprietor, Estro Jen used to play for Angel City some years back. She is skating now at Long Beach, which is primarily a banked track group of teams, though the gal working there told me that they maintain a travel flat track team as well. I normally get a lot of my skate stuff through skateloggers, but I will certainly give her some business and tell local folks about it now that I know about it.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 05:15 AM   #4
Terror Australis
Happy Little Vegemite

Well now you can just come on over to the Derby forum and post there. It's not just veterans but people from every stage in their Derby journey. Welcome!!!! Keep that attitude even when things get hard and you'll be all good!

https://www.facebook.com/DollsOfHazzard?ref=ts&fref=ts
Terror Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Surfinbernard
Derby noob

Nice post! Glad you've discovered the derby love. Please get some good pads even before skates. They will pay you back a million times over. Bruises are great fun but injuries that stop you being able to skate are not so much fun. See you over in the derby section!!
Surfinbernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Are You STILL at Derby

Hi andichristine,

Well since you have not posted in awhile I wonder if you are just reading or have given up. Hope it is the Reading Level.

The ones I know that came from where you started skated at off sessions and came long before practice to just skate. Some had a long road up hill and then finally made it.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave