S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 18th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #1
Pepper Montana

Default Flight deals for A2A

The A2A list sent out this link to Airtran Airways

http://www.airtran.com/Home.aspx

There is a "sale" ending today (Friday, 8/18) for flights to Atlanta. Sweet deals! With the price of gas where it is now it really makes flying attractive.

My question now is where to stay the night before the race. The "mandatory" meeting is in Athens the night before, right? For that reason it makes sense to stay in Athens if you don't have transportation.

But, the next day you will be in Atlanta (where the airport is, right?) So you could take the shuttle back 90 miles to Athens to get your stuff but then you need to return another 90 miles to catch your flight. Am I making this more complicated than it is? I just don't want to travel 180 miles to retrieve my luggage...

Any ideas out there? Am I missing a trick somewhere?
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #2
speedysktr
President of Everything

umm, yeah, a little.
Poke around the website a little more. Everything you need to know is in there, but in short, I believe they have a truck that brings your stuff back for you. There are enough people just from this board that are going that I'm sure you could figure something out.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #3
NWGlenn

The flight I've got puts me into the airport just after 9:00AM. Fri. I plan on using one of the host hotels linked on the a2a website but haven't reserved anything yet. I understand that there are shuttles from the airport to Athens as well as Atlanta. 'Present plan is: shuttle to Athens, check in to hotel, rest, take commuter light rail to Atlanta in time for evening social and bus back on the event's bus. This may get tricky in the Athens/Atlanta commute but
the rest seems doable.

Also, who's up for sharing a room? If I can double with someone the first choice would be the Hilton right across the street from the Classic Center and the start line; otherwise I'll probably cheap out with the Holiday Inn four or five blocks away. Having to rely on unfamiliar public transport on Sunday morning gives me waking nightmares of D.N.S.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #4
speedysktr
President of Everything

Let me make this perfectly clear: this race starts at 7:30am on the button. go to the pre race meeting where Henry will tell you what time his watch says, jive yours with his and dont be late, because it will go when his watch says 7:30:00 am.

Glenn, just out of curiosity, what makes you want to go over there just to come back? why not just stay in Atlanta and go over to Athens on Saturday?Or take the bus over to Athens following the skate.

All: FYI, the primary italian joint in Athens gets pretty packed just prior to and following the meeting so keep that in mind. Also, seems like it's always homecoming or something as well so the food scene gets a little hectic. I strongly advise everyone to stay in Athens the night before.

Last edited by speedysktr; August 19th, 2006 at 01:21 AM. Reason: forgot some stuff
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #5
NWGlenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
Glenn, just out of curiosity, what makes you want to go over there just to come back? why not just stay in Atlanta and go over to Athens on Saturday?Or take the bus over to Athens following the skate.
9:14 arrive in Atlanta a/p, pick up baggage (bear in mind current carry-on regs) then ~10:00 what? Go to Piedmont park and catch-up on the sleep I missed since boarding my starting flight in Seattle 9:30PM Thur?? 'Figure I may as well put the time to use and get checked in to hotel instead of having to do it dog-tired at 11:00PM. 'Might even be able to cap a few Z's in the shuttle. I hope to be checked in by noon, get fed, find the commuter train and figure a schedule to get me to 12th and Piedmont Rd with enough time to eat again, gear up and hook up with the herd. Also I'll only need to be carrying my skate pack, having left everything else in my room which will welcome me as soon as I get off the bus. Vs. trying to check-in while jostling a couple of dozen cranky skaters (I hate that). Get a decent night's sleep and walk across the street Saturday morning for what ever is going on at registration...vendors, reps etc. Isn't there a starting route familiarization skate too Saturday?
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote