S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 11th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #1
gbo
once faster than a wocket

Default skating while injured or am I being a wimp...

Dr's diagnosed a torn rotator cuff. Surgery in 2 weeks. How long I'll be off of skates after that is unknown.

I would like to skate between now and then but if I swing my arms the injury gets aggravated and I'm up all night. (ask me how I know) Now, granted, I do skate with my arms behind my back, but they come off my back once in a while to save my balance.

To me, it doesn't make sense to skate when injured if my form suffers. ie, I'd be so concerned about not moving my arm that I'd skate differently. And, there's always the chance of falling and injuring it further.

Or am I being a wimp and I should tough it out? Ice the darn thing down afterwards and get on with it?

Thoughts appreciated.
It's great to have people to ask these questions of again.
gbo
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Jim White

Is the pain from not skating worse than the pain from skating? (That's if it's painful for you to not skate; some people really miss it.)

If it doesn't make any sense to you to skate with unusual form, why skate?

So what IF you're a wimp? Is that bad?

(I realize I didn't answer any questions. That comes from my professional background of being a consultant.)
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #3
cbeck

Wimp? nah. Smart, if you ask me. I once ended up on crutches for about a month because I didn't think the pain in my torn *insert doctor word* muscle was bad enough to take a break from running and not compete. It was a muscle that ran on the outside of my calf and would have probably been fine if I gave it a few weeks rest. Apparently I overcompensated and tore a few other things that were fine beforehand. I really kicked myself for making it that much worse. While the injuries are different, if I were in your place, I'd proabably sit it out and watch some CSI... no sense in taking a risk right?

Love your body, it will love you

/just my two pennies
cbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #4
skaterdog

Default rest

I would rest until you are absolutely desperate to get on your skates. That's my rule of thumb. I have gotten into more trouble trying to push through injuries(mostly as a runner) than I care to count. You have the good fortune to have an injury that doesn't directly have to be involved in your skating. I was out of all physical activity for a 5 year period of my life due to a back injury.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #5
ldskater
Tha Dark Vaypor

I had my shoulder operated on May 2005 and was off skates for 6 weeks. It was a tough six weeks but it was better than skating or doing something that would have caused me to go back and have more surgery because the orignal got messed by me skating.

Whimp or not you'll be better off taking it easy.
ldskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #6
gbo

Don't you hate it when you get the advice that you want to hear?!

Mr Unhelpful, you-don't-have-enough-questions White and skaterdog did hit the nail on the head when they questioned whether it hurt more not to skate than to skate. I need some skating. Pretty badly.

However, I'm balancing the pain from not skating with the fear of hurting myself worse and being off my skates even longer as many others pointed out.

I hope I'll skate 3-4 times nice and easy prior to the surgery. Just ice my army down really well afterwards. At this point, it isn't the 6 wks layoff after the surgery that's getting to me; it's the almost 8 wks it's taken to get this diagnosed and operated on that's weighing on me. And, the decrease in muscle tone.

And, when I asked my doctor if I had to stop skating. He said, 'By all means, keep on skating......Just stop falling.' (this was after he told me I had a 'big a**, mo fu tear') I was amused.

gbo
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:38 AM   #7
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

You can use this time to work on something that you would not normally work on...something that needs work, but does not put you at risk of falling. Perhaps you can rink skate and work on avoid obstacles?
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #8
mikeyb

I have some real experience with this, both personal and professional. You're doing the right thing. A fall or even a quick jarring of your arm can extend your rotator cuff tear and increase the surgery (and recovery) required. After the surgery, definitely follow the rules. It totally pays off. A year from now you'll hardly remember the sacrifice. Lot's of luck recovering!
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #9
online inline

how often do you fall? If the answer is basically never, i might risk trying to skate a bit and see how you feel. If you experience unease or discomfort, i'd stop. If you don't, tell me how you did it, because i'm just about always experiencing unease and discomfort... but that's another story.

If in doubt, and you are not completely disobeying a doctor's orders, take it slow and see how it goes. Be a little safer than usual.

If you can't skate, my advice is to totally emerse yourself in something different - an old hobby you've been wanting to get back into. You will find that you don't miss it nearly as much. Then do something to keep conditioning up, like stationary bike.

Good luck. Stuff happens, and it's our job to take the hurdles with panache, finesse, grace, and not be too shortsighted or whiney. In so doing, we can even maike it work towards our advantage.

Hell, if i got really injured, i might finally have the time to do last years taxes. LOL.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #10
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
how often do you fall? If the answer is basically never, i might risk trying to skate a bit and see how you feel. If you experience unease or discomfort, i'd stop. If you don't, tell me how you did it, because i'm just about always experiencing unease and discomfort... but that's another story.

If in doubt, and you are not completely disobeying a doctor's orders, take it slow and see how it goes. Be a little safer than usual.

If you can't skate, my advice is to totally emerse yourself in something different - an old hobby you've been wanting to get back into. You will find that you don't miss it nearly as much. Then do something to keep conditioning up, like stationary bike.

Good luck. Stuff happens, and it's our job to take the hurdles with panache, finesse, grace, and not be too shortsighted or whiney. In so doing, we can even maike it work towards our advantage.

Hell, if i got really injured, i might finally have the time to do last years taxes. LOL.
A Zen proverb - "The obstacle is the path."
That is what came to mind when I read Online's post. I love skating but I think that you should be protecting your health and healing as much as possible. I hope that your surgery goes well.

Good luck!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #11
gbo

Actually, it's funny you should mention old hobbies. I picked up my violin and tried to play and that's when I realized how really injured I was. It hurt!

I've never thought of my shoulders as necessary for skating and that's why it bothers me to stay off my skates for a shoulder injury. Just goes to show you how much of an 'all-body' activity skating is.

It's just terribly frustrating to be off my skates during these glorious summer months. I'm in Michigan and winters here are not meant for skating. Guess I can hope for a mild one and just skate as much as possible.

gbo
Old August 13th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #12
skaterdog

I'm in Michigan too and I know what you mean. This is the worst possible time to be off your skates. So how do you cope with it?

I asked the same question in the forum when I had a back injury last summer. It effects your life in a lot of ways. I had to cut down my calories which was hard because I was just sitting around the house (refrigerator) and I didn't sleep as well.

On the positive side for you....you get through this and you know it's a fixable problem...not like Speedyskater who told us about his 2 back surgeries that threatened to end his skating for good.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #13
gbo

Thanks.

Good news is that my sister had the same surgery about 3 months ago and she says that she's now almost 100%.

I'll also be reading the forum alot to get my skating thrills vicariously. Just think if I were out for surgery while the board was down. It would be that much worse.

skate on
gbo
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #14
Clemens

Default WIMP up your skates

Dear GBO,

as long as I am not injured and not tempted like you are, I would say:
Better be a WI.M.P. (WIse Man Pausing).

Please remind me of my advice once I am injured...

Best regards
Clemens
Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:21 AM   #15
memphisspeed

I say keep skating even if its not at a hard pace but im not the one hurt. Be honest with yourself on how bad it is (or isnt) and make a choice. Sounds like its bad IMHO.

Do you have a stationary bike and or bike + trainer to ride for now?
memphisspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #16
gbo

memphisspeed wrote:
Quote:
do you have a stationary bike...?
Yes. But talk about boring!

Did skate for a short time tonight under very controlled circumstances. Dang I love to skate. I know during recovery I'll be off my skates for a rreeeaaaalll looooonnngggg time. The bike and I will get to know each other very well.

Guess, all in all, I'm glad I'll only be off my skates for a few months. Must be awful to hear that you have to stop skating or whatever for years, possibly the rest of your life.

Jim White, I left you a private message.

gbo
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #17
Jim White

Message received and replied to, a couple of days ago. If you haven't received the reply, email me at japc@execpc.com
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #18
gbo

Jim White wrote:
Quote:
Message received and replied to
Got it. I can't believe you told me you were at a race. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.

gbo
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:47 AM   #19
Jim White

Sorry 'bout that. Well, I said I was at a race, I didn't say I was skating. Actually, I was, sorry, but this weekend I'll be at perhaps the best race of the year, and not skating (because of working it). That's always painful, so I know, a little, how you feel.

Don't know if it helps, but last night I skated with a guy with road rash so bad part of one bone (elbow) was ground off, a little, this past weekend. He ended up skating slow (slow for him, about 16 MPH), and holding both hands in front of him.

When I'm really hurting bad, I spend time cycling, but on a real moving bike, not stationary, and more time on forums.