S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old June 21st, 2008, 02:10 PM   #201
mglatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpinto View Post
Michael...nice to see you here...i am sure you don't remember me, we only knew each other to say hello...i skated for Jay Norcross out of Greeley. co in the 70"s...i believe you won Jr men the year i skated sophmore {1972} Dale Carsentine won my event and we don't neeed to talk about my placement -
You probably knew my then wife, Mary Sue Wilcox, she was sr ladies champ in the late 60'S

i remember your warm up in 74 double axel. loop, double loop, loop, triple mapes awsome still to think of

you were a great competitor, i remember one year your triple lutz was not working in the warm up..and you went out and nailed it in your program..you were also one of the first to do the triple lutz, when you skated only a few could

glad you are here

frank pinto
Frank, thanks for the welcome, the kind words, and the recollections. All that seems like another lifetime ago . . . oh wait, it was
mglatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 02:17 PM   #202
mglatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
welcome to the forum, good to have ex art skaters here. sounds like you had a great career and your family also. sorry about your dad.
Thanks Rick.

Got a question: Where do you guys hang out mostly on this forum?
mglatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 04:06 PM   #203
fpinto

mike...i do check in about 4-5 times a week but almost never post anything..makes be feel like i am still in touch with the sport...then i see someone like you on it brings back the "life time ago" and then i post...here's one i bet you won't remember...one year you were walking around with a t shirt on that said "love me..love my skates" ....i told my wife i like that guy
frank
fpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM   #204
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglatz View Post
Thanks Rick.

Got a question: Where do you guys hang out mostly on this forum?

yes i am on the forum everyday, sometimes 2 or 3 times looking for info and other skating stuff.
Old June 28th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #205
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
mike...i do check in about 4-5 times a week but almost never post anything..makes be feel like i am still in touch with the sport...then i see someone like you on it brings back the "life time ago" and then i post...here's one i bet you won't remember...one year you were walking around with a t shirt on that said "love me..love my skates" ....i told my wife i like that guy
frank
ROFL! Frank-- I miss that humor. I miss the Rogue's Gallery with the "gang" and fall pools.

Did I say that?
MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #206
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglatz View Post
My name is Michael Glatz. I was an artistic skater back in the late 60's and 70's. I was several times national champion in freestyle (Jr. Boys, Jr. Men, Sr. Men/World Class Men). I was 3rd in the world in 1980. My Dad and Mom (Michael and Patricia) were national champions themselves and coached me and my sister (Dorene) at Rocket Roller Rink in Imperial Beach, CA (near San Diego).

I am now living in Sacramento CA with my wife of 25 years (who also found this site searching my name ) and 4 children. My mom still lives in the San Diego area. My Dad died several years ago. He also had several other state and national champions he coached.
Michael!

Welcome to the Zoo... er Forum. Like Frank I remember you-- and your parents. We used to sit next to the CA skaters at Nationals and met you a couple times. (However I doubt you remember me.) I also got few guest practices in at your folks place, when I visited Aunt and Uncle who lived about a mile from the CV rink.

Your mother however is the one I have very fond memories of-- she was always warm, fun and encouraging both at Nationals and when I came to visit. Sorry to hear about your Dad. He was a gem.
MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:09 AM   #207
artskater14

ok. now that i can finally post things!!! ill go in order

- What is your interest in artistic skating? Are you a skater, former skater, potential skater, parent of a skater, competition judge, federation member, rink owner, skate manufacturer, member of the media, or just a big fan of the sport?

i started art skating 6 months ago,and i hope to compete next season if not this one

- What country, state or province, and neightborhood are you from?

im in pennsylvania in the reading/philidelphia area.
- Where do you usually skate?

i skate mostly at skateaway of reading, but i spend sunday nights primaraly at fantasy skating center
- Do you only skate for fun or do compete? If you compete, what events have you participated in? If you don't compete, do you have any interest in doing so?
i hope to compete in figures and freestyle, if i can get my weight down

- What skates, frames, and wheels do you skate on?

riedell 220 boot
suregrip classic plate
bones swiss bearing
snyder toestops
bones super elite wheels 101a 57mm

- What else can you tell us about youself? What are your favorite hobbies and recreational activities outside of skating?
i play piano, ive been playiong for 7 years now. im 14, and i skate 24 hours a week!!
artskater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #208
erksk8r

Default hey!

Well, my name is Eric, and I'm still a competitive skater. I'm from Satellite Beach, Florida, but I skate in Melbourne, FL whenever I am home from school, and when I'm at school I skate at Semoran Skateway in Orlando. I skate World Class Pairs and Figures, but in the past I did dance and singles as well.. and I guess I still do dance quite a bit, just for fun. For figures I wear Edea boots with the Rolline Giotto frames/wheels, and for freestyle I have my babies (Harlick on Rolline). Apart from skating, I'm a Jr at the University of Central Florida, where I'm studying to become a nurse and go into health administration at some point.
erksk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #209
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by erksk8r View Post
Well, my name is Eric, and I'm still a competitive skater. I'm from Satellite Beach, Florida, but I skate in Melbourne, FL whenever I am home from school, and when I'm at school I skate at Semoran Skateway in Orlando. I skate World Class Pairs and Figures, but in the past I did dance and singles as well.. and I guess I still do dance quite a bit, just for fun. For figures I wear Edea boots with the Rolline Giotto frames/wheels, and for freestyle I have my babies (Harlick on Rolline). Apart from skating, I'm a Jr at the University of Central Florida, where I'm studying to become a nurse and go into health administration at some point.

Hi Eric and welcome to the boards, good luck at nationals also this year. your Eric H, right? not a lot of wc skaters left this year i notice. if you see Adam or melissa tell them i said hi.
Old July 7th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #210
Sk8gal

Smile

Hello friends...

I am new to the board but not from the sport. When I was a child I skated for years in the late 60's and 70's. Since the sport was so big, I never made it out of state but still loved competitions and skated figures and team dance. At the age of 18 or so, discovered there was more to life than skating. Having my pro move to California I then took 14 years off until my daughter was looking through my photo albums one day and wanted to take some lessons. I signed her up for group classes and dug out my old skates so I could help her, and before I knew it, I was back taking lessons and competing again. I am much more disciplined with my practice now, and have placed at Regionals and Nationals several times. I love the people, the music, and the competiton. I am glad my dear friend Jon turned me on to this board so I can easily get my skating "fix" whenever I need to! Looking forward to Nationals!!!
Sk8gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #211
cheryl murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8gal View Post
Hello friends...

I am new to the board but not from the sport. When I was a child I skated for years in the late 60's and 70's. Since the sport was so big, I never made it out of state but still loved competitions and skated figures and team dance. At the age of 18 or so, discovered there was more to life than skating. Having my pro move to California I then took 14 years off until my daughter was looking through my photo albums one day and wanted to take some lessons. I signed her up for group classes and dug out my old skates so I could help her, and before I knew it, I was back taking lessons and competing again. I am much more disciplined with my practice now, and have placed at Regionals and Nationals several times. I love the people, the music, and the competiton. I am glad my dear friend Jon turned me on to this board so I can easily get my skating "fix" whenever I need to! Looking forward to Nationals!!!
Hi Skategal, Jon seems to be helping us all. He is helping me get my skates mounted. Welcome to the boards! Please share some pictures and tell us where you used to skate and where you skate now. Cheryl
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #212
cheryl murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by erksk8r View Post
Hi Eric! Welcome. You are a busy one!
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #213
cheryl murphy

Default Did you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWehmeier View Post
Jim,

Venture to bet we know one another? I used to skate for the Sherman's in Des Moines about that time, and our club skaters spent a lot of time out in Colorado with Jay Norcross in Greeley and knew all his skaters-- and I am still friends with Doris Giardini. If you skated in Colorado you knew Doris and Jim.

If you were coached by Jack or George, you learned your "stuff." I met both of them over the years of skating, and they were excellent fundamental coaches who really stressed things being done right.

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner, I'm dealing with a family issue of my mother in law's recent diagnosis of macular degeneration. And quite honestly there are not enough hours in the day lately.

Mary Lu
Mary Lu, my friend skated out of Greeley for Jay I think. Her name is Leslye Ferraro. Did you know her?
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #214
cheryl murphy

Quote:
Michael...nice to see you here...i am sure you don't remember me, we only knew each other to say hello...i skated for Jay Norcross out of Greeley. co in the 70"s...i believe you won Jr men the year i skated sophmore {1972} Dale Carsentine won my event and we don't neeed to talk about my placement -
You probably knew my then wife, Mary Sue Wilcox, she was sr ladies champ in the late 60'S

i remember your warm up in 74 double axel. loop, double loop, loop, triple mapes awsome still to think of

you were a great competitor, i remember one year your triple lutz was not working in the warm up..and you went out and nailed it in your program..you were also one of the first to do the triple lutz, when you skated only a few could

glad you are here

frank pinto
Hi Frank, I just saw you said Greeley, did you know Leslye Ferraro?
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:49 AM   #215
fpinto

Default Leslye Ferraro

Hi Cheryl...the name sounds familiar...what years did she skate out of Greeley? was she a singles skater?

Jay is one of my closest friends and I will be talking with him this week, i will ask him about Leslye

It sure is nice to connect with skaters from our past

although it is sad to see the state our sport is in now
fpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #216
Sk8gal

Hi Cheryl...Jon told me he got in touch with you and remembered you from the 70's. I skated back then also, out of Brook Park, Berea Roll n Bowl, and out of Elyria for just a few months. I took lessons as a little girl from Irene Graham, then skated from Ed Oskay and Bobby Jones (I still see him at Nationals every year!!!) Now I am back at Brook Park and have been with Judy since 1994. She is so dedicated to her students and rink, and we just love her!

Where did you skate from? Who did you take from? Did you ever make it to Nationals?
Sk8gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #217
cheryl murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8gal View Post
Hi Cheryl...Jon told me he got in touch with you and remembered you from the 70's. I skated back then also, out of Brook Park, Berea Roll n Bowl, and out of Elyria for just a few months. I took lessons as a little girl from Irene Graham, then skated from Ed Oskay and Bobby Jones (I still see him at Nationals every year!!!) Now I am back at Brook Park and have been with Judy since 1994. She is so dedicated to her students and rink, and we just love her!

Where did you skate from? Who did you take from? Did you ever make it to Nationals?
I skated out of Toledo Skateland/Ohio Skate North and South for Peggy Yambor, Don Gates, Adolph Wacker also had lessons from Jim Harmer, Bud Patton and some various others for a lesson or 2.
I skated dance, figures, and freestyle. I did go to nationals and placed 3rd in Junior ladies (I think), I can never remember if it was freshman ladies or Junior. Made finals a few times in dance but never placed. Figures forget it. It was a long time ago but it sure was fun to be involved in it. Especially nationals and waiting for the big guns to skate. Wow, we all wore maxi dresses or skirts for the big nights!
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #218
skaterem

Default I was first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snydertoestops View Post
Q: What is your interest in artistic skating? Are you a skater, former skater, potential skater, parent of a skater, competition judge, federation member, rink owner, skate manufacturer, member of the media, or just a big fan of the sport?

A: I'm a skater, but my family didn't start me, well kinda, I used to just skate session. My family skates competitivly.. on my mom's side.. but my dad's side did too (not anymore). My parents met at the rink. My dad was (who's now) my aunt's dance partner. She told him that her sister was coming home from college.. and the rest is history. I started when I was in the third grade.. but then quit 6 months later. (That's the one thing I most regret.) Started up again, last day of 6th grade.. now I'm entering sophmore year in HS.

Q: What country, state or province, and neightborhood are you from?

Portland Oregon, USA

Q: Where do you usually skate?

THE Oaks Amusement Park Roller Skating Rink

Q: Do you only skate for fun or do compete? If you compete, what events have you participated in? If you don't compete, do you have any interest in doing so?

I compete. But I mostly skate for fun (sessions and stuff), I compete because I kinda have to.. they won't let me jump during session.

Q: What skates, frames, and wheels do you skate on?

Figures: Risport boots, Atlas plates, and Giotto wheels.

Freestyle: Reidell boots, Snyder super delux plates, and Panther wheels.

(My skates are old [freestyle about 20, figure about 15] but.. free!! When my other aunt Amy on my dad's side quit skating, she just happened to have the same size foot as me.. so she dug them out of storage and gave them to me.) No. My freestyle skates are not heavy.

Q: What else can you tell us about youself? What are your favorite hobbies and recreational activities outside of skating?

I don't do much. I skate. Go to school. Go to church. Go to work. Eat. Sleep. That's about it. I also work in the rink too.. in the snackbar. I'm birthday party queen.

But I LOVE 20th century history.. so skating in a historic 101-year-old rink is perfect

Oh, and I'm a HUGE die-hard fan of back to the future.

You're birthday party queen junior.... I was there first baby!
skaterem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #219
skaterem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovinlife0813 View Post
Hi my name is Christina. I skated solo dance and figures in Newark, CA from 1980 to 1985. I competed and of course, skated for fun. I competed in regionals in Bakersfield and mostly just local dance competitions. I only went to my eights dance bar. I would love to get back into skating competively! I am very out of shape (indurance wise) Would I have to repeat all bars in dance? I live in Portland OR now and we have a beautiful rink here with hard wood floors. Do not know much info about skating lessons there or what they offer. It seems as though skating dance is slowly dissapearing from every where. If any one has any info on Portland OR , I think it is Oaks park skating rink, I would appreciate the info. Also, anyone from Newark skating rink CA, I would like to know what ever happen to my skating coach John. Dont remember his last name but Larry Woodyard was in charge of the rink back then and George was the DJ. I am really happy to have stuble apon this site and am looking forward to talking with you all.
It is for sure not disappearing here! I am Emily and I skate for the Oaks club. We would love to have you down to skate. Just come any Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday between 5:30 and 7 pm and someone will help you out. We have great coaches for competitive or tests, and just a great skating community. Hope to see you there!
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #220
skaterem

Default The Skating MacKays!

- What is your interest in artistic skating? Are you a skater, former skater, potential skater, parent of a skater, competition judge, federation member, rink owner, skate manufacturer, member of the media, or just a big fan of the sport?

I have been a competitive skater for almost 20 years. I returned to the sport 3 years ago after 6 years off to go to college and have kids. I currently skate Classic Solo and Premier Gold Figures. Next year I am going to take my Gold Medal Test (yikes!).

- What country, state or province, and neightborhood are you from?

Portland, OR

- Where do you usually skate?

Oaks Park Skating Rink (am I lucky or what! Such a beautiful rink!)

- Do you only skate for fun or do compete? If you compete, what events have you participated in? If you don't compete, do you have any interest in doing so?

Both I should think! Competing is fun! And especially the training is fun. I am a hard work junkie! Over the years have competed in primary figs/freestyle, juvenile fig/freestyle, elementary figs/solo dance, sophomore figs/solo, open loops, creative solo dance, junior solo dance, classic solo dance, novice figures, and premier gold figures. I skate for George Kolibaba and Sharon Behrendt, and they are the best. Super fun... we laugh our way through all our lessons, and they are great friends on top of being great coaches.
My daughters, mom, sister, 3 nephews, and neice all skate too, so that is the best part... that we all get to do it together. The "Robinson Clan" as most of our region refers to us are single handedly going to keep the sport going in the NW if we have to! Amy, my cute cute big sister, and I have done our part, producing 5 future skaters between us! Amy also skates Classic Solo which has been interesting. It is the first time in all of our skating years that we have had to compete against each other. But it has not been a big deal, we have stayed positive and supportive of each other. My poor mom though! Amy also skates Classic Figures and is a kick-*** figure skater! My mom, Leslie, skates Veterans Solo and Figures. My nephew Charlie skates juv/elem team dance, juv/elem pairs, primary singles and primary figs. He won his figures at nationals last year and I am so proud of him! He is really feeling the pressure to defend this year, so if you see him, give him a pat on the back of encouragement! All I can tell you is that that kid is going to have one heck of a skating career. Eleanor, my neice, skates fesh/soph figs and singles (and jumps like a demon!), and all the rest are tiny tots.

- What skates, frames, and wheels do you skate on?

Custom Harlicks (which are duct taped together right now... I love the end of the season!), Atlas, and Bob Behrendt's old wheels he gave me a month ago... I think they are Roll Lines?

- What else can you tell us about youself? What are your favorite hobbies and recreational activities outside of skating?

I am the promotions manager for Oaks Amusement Park in Portland which is the longest continually operating amusement park in the country and home to the Oaks Park Skating Rink. I handle advertising, event planning, and media relations stuff. I love my job, and am pretty darn good at it. I have the best boss ever too, she is a fun gal and I love going to work everyday!
I have 2 daughters, Annie who is 5 and Susie who is 3. They are my joy! They are the prettiest, smartest little bits you could ever hope for. Both like to skate and are just starting to take classes and lessons. Annie has a ton of talent, she is very petite (unlike her 5'11" mama!) and has a little pairs partner (which scares me to death... though I try not to let her know it!). They are too cute! And Susie, is really proud of herself because she just got her wheels all the way loosened up and can do "scissors" now! Watch for these 2 in a few years...
I am enjoying all your responses and getting to know more about my fellow skaters!