S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old August 3rd, 2015, 05:19 AM   #1
jcardin

Default Quadline comparison: skorpion street vs. carrera supreme low cut

I recently got some barely used leather boot carrera supreme truck quadlines on eBay for around $63 total.

Having used the skorpions extensively (albeit with my special mod applied), I think I can say that the supremes are a significant upgrade overall.

Here are some differences:

Carrera supreme:
Trucks are less wide (but still wide)
Wheelbase is also shorter (front wheels are not as far forward)
Low cut Boot is very nice (+)
feel more like "real", proper skates (+)
Jumping over obstacles feels safer, easier, more natural and controlled (+)
A bit less noisy (I think)
Pretty much the same weight vs skorpions with lightweight shoes
Higher off the ground (possible -?)
Trucks (steering) can be adjusted (+)
Standard Front break(s) can be installed (+)
Cross overs seem easier/better (+)
Seem to be as fast and possibly faster overall using the same wheels and bearings - 110mm lessened to flatted profile(+)

Skorpions street (with back springs to pvc mod):

Convenient if need to take them off and walk (+)
Adjustable size but at expense of better safety and fit/feel (+/-)
Longer wheelbase and wider trucks may feel more stable at times at expense of some ability to maneuver and go up on "toes" easier (+/-)
Footplates are not reinforced (I have broken two now) (-)
Should be used off road very sparingly when using standard inline wheels (see above) (-)
Springs do seem to lessen vibration on rougher pavement but haven't tried adding a thick insole to the carrera yet (+)
They are ugly by comparison (-)
Rubber? Back breaks are toast in a matter of seconds (outdoors at least) (-)

I think that is all I can think of right now.

Questions or comments always welcome
jcardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2015, 08:49 AM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

What in the world do you skate on, like.. what surfaces?

Maybe look into those "land roller" wheels. They have a urethane band. I dont know what size they are. Or if they would fit.

Ever run longboard wheels cut down to 28mm contact patch on a normal quad skate?

I just cannot imagine any of those outdoor skates being worthwhile. The terrain would have to be so ridiculous I cannot think of it as being fun. Unless I was skating downhill, and getting pulled to the top again to make another run. Id just go inlines. Way less headaches. Faster, smoother, lighter than a quad would be for the same ability to roll over objects less incumbency.

At some point quads become a lost cause if you need such insane wheels.

I guess there are enthusiasts for anything no matter how crazy it may be to others. Just look at the reliant robin. (3 wheeled car)
Old August 3rd, 2015, 04:12 PM   #3
jcardin

Default Reply

I have been skating the quadlines most anywhere, but mainly tackle some of the local greenways (long bike paths).

Most of it is smooth but there are some rough stretches as well as wood bridge sections that have gaps and bad parts that small wheels would not roll over well.

I don't wear any protection except for occasional gloves. I did run into a situation where there was a dog not on a leash that got right in my way and I had to step off into the grass/dirt on the side of the path while going pretty fast and the bigger wheels made it no problem really.

As for inlines, of which I have little experience with other than the slow, high booted coyotes, I would want some with at least 100mm wheels but with plenty of ankle support. I did try out some low cut speed skates but they did not feel at all safe/secure to me.

Also, I am not sure if inlines would still be comfortable after going several miles, but again I haven't really tried a proper set of large wheel fitness inlines.

Another thing, there are some steep and winding narrow sections to the path, which I would be wary of going down on inlines unless I was an expert inline skater.

I have not tried or looked into your other suggestions, but I think the 125s would be the largest inline wheels I would want to try, as long as there is no chance for wheel bite.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:09 PM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Ive skated on some pretty rough roads with quads and inlines. With the right wheels it makes a huge difference. Form makes the biggest difference though, and just knowing how to step/stride over certian parts.

What normal quads have you tried? Like boot/plate/wheels. Especially wheels. That matters ALOT outdoors. Longboard wheels cut down sound awesome. The closest thing I have is atom poisons and cosmic superfly 90A to the large longboard wheels.

Got any pictures of the terrain you skate?
Old August 4th, 2015, 03:33 AM   #5
jcardin

I actually have never owned a pair of regular quad skates except for maybe when I was a kid. I skate in rinks rarely, which is the most quad experience I have beyond the quadlines, using the standard rentals.

I did get a chance to use my supremes just this past week at an indoor rink, but I was using my soft outdoor flat 110 84A wheels which I'm guessing were a bad choice. Still, I held my own speed-wise and had no falls or mishaps.

You could search for shelby bottoms greenway and stones river greenway under google images to get at least some idea of where I skate long distance.