S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old June 4th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #1
Bunny_Hop

Default Jumping over obstacles

I'm getting quite good at skating outdoors, but one thing that still stumps me is jumping obstacles. I fall backward frequently upon landing, because normally when I skate outside I have one foot in front, but when I land from a jump, my feet are side-by-side. Is it possible to jump and land with your feet "offset"? Thanks!
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny_Hop View Post
I'm getting quite good at skating outdoors, but one thing that still stumps me is jumping obstacles. I fall backward frequently upon landing, because normally when I skate outside I have one foot in front, but when I land from a jump, my feet are side-by-side. Is it possible to jump and land with your feet "offset"? Thanks!
Try landing with one foot slightly in front and one foot slightly behind your center(example: Left foot in front right foot behind , turn left as you land. Or reverse the feet placement and turn right) mass, also dont land straight, land in a slight to semi hard turn, this gives you a supporting direction to carve. The hardest jump is straight up and down while holding a straight line. Notice no figure skaters do any substantial jumps and land straight. They always land onto a arc/cut/turn which gives them support as they brace into that motion instead of trying to remain balanced under loads of pressure.

I can jump a ridiculous distance in the rink by landing into a hard turn/hockey stop/slide. Going straight though makes things a lot more squirrely
Old June 5th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #3
Fancy-Kerrigan

In outdoor skating I find the "leap" more helpful and a lot more stable of a jump than the both feet straight up jump. I also feel that this type of jump clears more length distance than the straight up jump at slower speeds.

The straight up jump that I learned in roller derby is good for clearing taller objects like a dog or fallen human. This jump is best done by pulling your knees up rather than trying to squat to take off. Landing is with skates about shoulder width apart and with not very graceful.....but it gets the job done.
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote