S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old June 18th, 2015, 10:05 PM   #21
Armadillo

I am starting to wonder if my analysis of the narrowed quad wheel track width advantage is backwards, and that this actually allows for skating MORE time with MORE weight over either JUST the inner pair or JUST the outer pair of wheels, which would better simulate how inlines roll than when the quad wheels divide weight more equally between left & right pair.

The narrower spread between wheels allows for placement of MORE weight on one lateral pair or the other without forcing the skate to turn as much off the desired push stroke arc path.
This could mean that the cumulative total contact patch of all four wheels gets somewhat reduced and a proportional boost to rolling speed could result from allowing more UNEQUAL lateral weight distribution with the narrower wheel track.

Obviously, I can't get all my weight on just the two left or right pair of wheels without turning too sharply away from the desired rolling track, but perhaps with the 25% narrower wheel track, I can get 10% more weight on the outer pair while still holding an adequately correct skate track.
Would this be enough to shrink the total contact patch and increase speed?
This seems possible to me, but hard to measure.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; June 19th, 2015 at 09:06 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 04:49 AM   #22
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Hey Pedro,

Thanks for the update on the narrowed Z-Hawgs performance, and I am glad the results showed enough improvement to justify the cost of cutting the wheels to 30mm contact patch.

Interesting that AussieScott thinks a wider wheel gives him better push, yet you report the opposite from the narrowed Z-Hawgs.

Hopefully, you get some better asphalt surface races later in the year and break your personal best marathon record.

-Armadillo
I don't think Scott was saying a wider wheel, he was say a wider spread between the wheels.
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #23
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojaco61 View Post
I don't think Scott was saying a wider wheel, he was say a wider spread between the wheels.
Thanks, I see that now, but when the wheels are narrowed the track narrows too. So what is more important for speed - the lower rolling resistance of narrow wheels or the better push (grip?) from a wider wheel track?
I can always narrow my wheels on outside edge and then add washers to space them back out to the original wider track in order to keep it the same (assuming axles have enough extra length).

The only way I see that a wider track allows for better push is that it is harder to lift the outer wheels off the ground when track is wider, which only implies better grip, but does this necessarily mean you get better roll too? Maybe not.

If your ankle control is good enough that you can still keep both inner and outer pairs of wheels of a narrow track setup down flat on the ground, then I don't see why the grip can't be just as good as a wider track setup?

-Armadillo
Old June 26th, 2015, 03:21 AM   #24
AussieScott

Totally talking about a wider skating track not wider wheels.

I find narrower skating tracks easier to turn sure great for derby but for speed and stability a wider track is much nicer.

That is why i suggest taper cutting the inside of a wheel so you keep the wide skating track but still have the smaller contact patch you desire for less rolling resistance.

At the end of the day its what ever works for you.

I just wish skate companies would standardize trucks. My Boens truck housing is about 40mm wide. My Snyder Royals are 48mm wide(When I got them) There is obviously a certain point when the track is too wide to skate cross overs with properly without having to change technique to compensate for a really wide track. That number I have no idea and I am sure someone 5 foot tall VS someone 6 foot tall would have a different ideal skating track.

Sorry for the slow reply here I am not on skatelog all that much these days.
AussieScott is offline   Reply With Quote