S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2014, 02:59 AM   #61
Malcom
Senior Member
 
Malcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,003
Default

Tune in tomorrow
__________________
Cancer sucks.
Malcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:31 AM   #62
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 7,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom View Post
Tune in tomorrow
Setting the DVR.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #63
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up
 
theDonnybrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Schaumburg, Illinois
Posts: 2,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
I guess you could say I am looking for strength and the healthiest strongest knee possible. (good knee health, given all the problems I have had with them. Skating, right now, is on the back burner to squatting. I want to see how "well" I can get my knees) I have not been able to sit in an ATG position and get out of it for years. After 7 sessions in the half squat, 3x20, I gained some strength and confidence. Yesterday and today I have worked on the range of motion, and can now do a few ATG deep knee bends with no problem. I am curious to see if I can to ATG with 40, 60, and 80 lbs tomorrow.

Use it or lose it. Going by that thinking, I NEED to do SOME ATG to maintain full range of motion, and joint health for my knee. BUT, given my bad knee history, I have to be careful about weight.

Using the 3 sets of 20 as my goal at a given weight, now to be done in full squats, not 1/2, I STILL need to warm up each workout. Perhaps 2 sets of ATG making sure not to get to a knee straining weight, then transition to full squats for the "main" 3 sets. I think I will try some light ATG's for a couple of workouts with the notion of making them my warm up for full squats later on.

Re Monster: I could rock a little monster.
Concerning your comment on knee health, what kind of weakness do you have in your knee? I know a lot of people with knee problems get them from an injury that results in movement compensation resulting in uneven strength distribution in the knees, ankles, and hips. The stronger muscles pull the joint out of alignment and cause pain and weakness. Have you spent any time working on your inner quad muscle? If not, consider working in some sets of Poliquin Step Ups, or any variant that will work the inside quad muscle (that bulge on the inside of the knee) as part of your work out. Take a look at Physical Therapy work outs for people recovering from meniscus tears, too, as those work outs are built to develop overall knee joint health.
__________________
2012 Bont Z, 3PF 7050, ILQ9 Pro, Matter G13 110mm F1
inlinepaceline.wordpress.com
theDonnybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #64
Malcom
Senior Member
 
Malcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Setting the DVR.
And go

First if you are going to do 1/2 or 3/4 squats box squatting is the safest because it will ensure your ability to sit back and take the pressure off the knees and put it where it needs to go like PBLS said. Video coming.

Box squatting is the best way to develop explosive power because the eccentric/concentric chain is broken when you sit on the box and relax your body. You must then overcome gravity to get the weight going again.

The other great thing about the box is you can adjust depth based on what you want to do. A high box is great for overloading, a low box is great for developing hip flexibility.
__________________
Cancer sucks.
Malcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #65
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Marshfield, MA
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom View Post
Yeah 20 rep squat routines are tough! Good for strength endurance and adding muscle mass.

OP the squat is not an "endurance" exercise like what you would need it for. If you are looking for something like that with a squat motion do body squats. I once had a training partner that did 10,000 in a row....was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

For the sprinting aspect, see if there are chains or bands available at the gym you train at. If not, chains are pretty expensive, but bands are affordable.
Saw some new posts and decided to re-read the whole thread.

Malcom, this post of the 10,000 body squats reminded me of an absurd endurace challenge I saw the other day, one which I at my girth would never think to try, the Burpee mile. Essentialy you standing long jump, do a burpee, standing long jump again and repeat till you have covered a mile. With a decent long jump it come out to about 700 burpees, and over an hour and a half of fun to complete, no thanks.
pjmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #66
Malcom
Senior Member
 
Malcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,003
Default

This video was last Friday. We did high box with only bar weight. We do this once every 10 weeks or so. This is Monique....my 135lb firecracker. She is 40 and has been lifting a year and a half.



This was a 5lb pr for her. A high box is a good exercise because you have to really explode with a lot of weight about 6 inches above parallel which is where a lot of people get stuck. Notice how she relaxes her body on the box, actually lifts her feet up, and "jumps" up with the weight. Also notice the position of her knees/shins relative to her toes....they are behind ensuring no stress on the knee.
__________________
Cancer sucks.
Malcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #67
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It
 
swolltitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 1,488
Default

I absolutely LOVED doing box squats back in the day when I lifted. You could handle more weight on your core to support, and still not kill your knees.

When us fat guys were doing regular squats, they made us sqaut all the way down until the top part of our leg was parallel with the ground... lets not forget about the added FAT in our legs that made that near impossible.
__________________
Riedell 395 Redline, Ultimate III, Bones Swiss, Ultimate Weapons
Bont Jet, XTech IS, Bones Swiss, Hyper G Truth
swolltitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 05:38 PM   #68
Malcom
Senior Member
 
Malcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmariner View Post
Saw some new posts and decided to re-read the whole thread.

Malcom, this post of the 10,000 body squats reminded me of an absurd endurace challenge I saw the other day, one which I at my girth would never think to try, the Burpee mile. Essentialy you standing long jump, do a burpee, standing long jump again and repeat till you have covered a mile. With a decent long jump it come out to about 700 burpees, and over an hour and a half of fun to complete, no thanks.
Wow that sounds like a killer for sure!
__________________
Cancer sucks.
Malcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #69
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 7,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
Concerning your comment on knee health, what kind of weakness do you have in your knee?
Oh, crazy muscle imbalance in the quads and hamstrings. My quads *used* to be strong while my hamstrings…… Let me tell it this way. I tried some leg curls. They were hard going up with a light weight. When trying to lower the weight, it was like a stereo vu meter bouncing. I HAD NO MUSCLE CONTROL. I COULD NOT SMOOTHLY LOWER THE WEIGHT. That kinda got my attention. My mind was saying lower smoothly, but the effect was this bounce. Fail, drop down, bounce back up, fail drop down bounce up a little less. So muscle balance, quads and hamstrings is important in my squat. Of course, part of that can be addressed by ALWAYS doing some leg curls so I don't somewhere down the line end up with that weird lack of muscle control. But I don't want to concentrate on the quads and ignore the hamstrings.

I have good control with my hamstrings now, but still feel that they are weak. Last workout I moved up to 25lbs each side and 20 reps. I was doing 20lbs and 30 reps. I mean, I can do THAT with my arm curls, and the hamstrings are a much bigger muscle than my biceps. I can lift and lower smoothly, but still feel vaguely uncomfortable with leg curls. This should probably get better with time.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #70
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up
 
theDonnybrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Schaumburg, Illinois
Posts: 2,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Oh, crazy muscle imbalance in the quads and hamstrings. My quads *used* to be strong while my hamstrings…… Let me tell it this way. I tried some leg curls. They were hard going up with a light weight. When trying to lower the weight, it was like a stereo vu meter bouncing. I HAD NO MUSCLE CONTROL. I COULD NOT SMOOTHLY LOWER THE WEIGHT. That kinda got my attention. My mind was saying lower smoothly, but the effect was this bounce. Fail, drop down, bounce back up, fail drop down bounce up a little less. So muscle balance, quads and hamstrings is important in my squat. Of course, part of that can be addressed by ALWAYS doing some leg curls so I don't somewhere down the line end up with that weird lack of muscle control. But I don't want to concentrate on the quads and ignore the hamstrings.

I have good control with my hamstrings now, but still feel that they are weak. Last workout I moved up to 25lbs each side and 20 reps. I was doing 20lbs and 30 reps. I mean, I can do THAT with my arm curls, and the hamstrings are a much bigger muscle than my biceps. I can lift and lower smoothly, but still feel vaguely uncomfortable with leg curls. This should probably get better with time.
Seriously consider adding Romanian Dead Lifts to your routine. I find that machines let me cheat too much, and I never accomplished anything. A barbell keeps you hones. I started RDLs at something like 60 pounds in October 2012 and finished my cycle around 150. I took summer 2013 off from weights to focus on skating. I got back to weights in October 2013, and after 4 months, I am now PRing around 215 x8. RDLs are great for the hammies and glutes.
__________________
2012 Bont Z, 3PF 7050, ILQ9 Pro, Matter G13 110mm F1
inlinepaceline.wordpress.com
theDonnybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #71
Malcom
Senior Member
 
Malcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Oh, crazy muscle imbalance in the quads and hamstrings.
Happens a lot....you really fall into the majority of most.

Most are concerned (not saying you) about the front part of their body. Quads, chest, biceps, abs and not as concerned about the back part of their body....back, triceps, low back, hamstrings...because when you look in the mirror most of the time you look at the front part. It is what we have been programmed to think of....just look at the Gold's Gym emblem.

Most don't realize it's the back side of your body that mostly determines your athletic performance.....
__________________
Cancer sucks.
Malcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #72
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 7,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
Seriously consider adding Romanian Dead Lifts to your routine. I find that machines let me cheat too much, and I never accomplished anything. A barbell keeps you hones. I started RDLs at something like 60 pounds in October 2012 and finished my cycle around 150. I took summer 2013 off from weights to focus on skating. I got back to weights in October 2013, and after 4 months, I am now PRing around 215 x8. RDLs are great for the hammies and glutes.
Oh, not this one. The BioForce has a few tricks up its' sleeve.

1. No inertia. Resistance is via a nitrogen filled cartridge. You CANNOT jerk the weight as you can with free weights. You are FORCED to use muscle contraction to get every mm of movement. Free weight "cheating" is impossible. Better feel than actual weight.

2. Chest presses are essentially cable dumbbell presses. No cheating from side to side.

3. Quick and easy resistance changes. Each side has a pull-pin slide selectable resistance from 5 to 125lbs in 2.5lb increments. 250lbs total resistance. A decent amount of weight for an aging athlete. And this is CORRECT resistance. 100lbs is 100lbs. Not like a BowFlex where the listed weight is actually half.

So this is a great machine if you don't need more than 250lbs and your exercises include:
Squats,
dumbell bench press,
leg extension leg curl,
seated triceps press (*outstanding exercise*),
cable curls,
cable lateral raises,
rotator cuff/torso twists,
lat pulldown

These are good quality movements, with resistance that is actually better than free weights. (no inertia)
I had a BowFlex when I first saw one of these in a sporting goods store. I gave it a try and IMMEDIATELY fell in love with the FEEL of the resistance.
I get that some REALLY don't like machines. But as machines go, this is a good one.

Re RDL: Essentially stiff leg dead lift. I was doing them with 15lb dumbbells. I feel it in my lower back, but not so much in the glutes or hamstrings. Except for the stretch. Maybe I'll revisit that, but it has not impressed me in the past. I never really considered it for an exercise with which I would increase weigh significantly. More an exercise to do with a light weight only. At most, for me, it is good for stretching my hamstrings.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #73
Malcom
Senior Member
 
Malcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Re RDL: Essentially stiff leg dead lift. I was doing them with 15lb dumbbells. I feel it in my lower back, but not so much in the glutes or hamstrings. Except for the stretch. Maybe I'll revisit that, but it has not impressed me in the past. I never really considered it for an exercise with which I would increase weigh significantly. More an exercise to do with a light weight only. At most, for me, it is good for stretching my hamstrings.
At the top of the lift squeeze your ass together.
__________________
Cancer sucks.
Malcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #74
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Marshfield, MA
Posts: 743
Default I am not anti-machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Oh, not this one. The BioForce has a few tricks up its' sleeve.

1. No inertia. Resistance is via a nitrogen filled cartridge. You CANNOT jerk the weight as you can with free weights. You are FORCED to use muscle contraction to get every mm of movement. Free weight "cheating" is impossible. Better feel than actual weight.

2. Chest presses are essentially cable dumbbell presses. No cheating from side to side.

3. Quick and easy resistance changes. Each side has a pull-pin slide selectable resistance from 5 to 125lbs in 2.5lb increments. 250lbs total resistance. A decent amount of weight for an aging athlete. And this is CORRECT resistance. 100lbs is 100lbs. Not like a BowFlex where the listed weight is actually half.

So this is a great machine if you don't need more than 250lbs and your exercises include:
Squats,
dumbell bench press,
leg extension leg curl,
seated triceps press (*outstanding exercise*),
cable curls,
cable lateral raises,
rotator cuff/torso twists,
lat pulldown

These are good quality movements, with resistance that is actually better than free weights. (no inertia)
I had a BowFlex when I first saw one of these in a sporting goods store. I gave it a try and IMMEDIATELY fell in love with the FEEL of the resistance.
I get that some REALLY don't like machines. But as machines go, this is a good one.

Re RDL: Essentially stiff leg dead lift. I was doing them with 15lb dumbbells. I feel it in my lower back, but not so much in the glutes or hamstrings. Except for the stretch. Maybe I'll revisit that, but it has not impressed me in the past. I never really considered it for an exercise with which I would increase weigh significantly. More an exercise to do with a light weight only. At most, for me, it is good for stretching my hamstrings.
I use them, quite a bit, Mostly for back, and I like some of the hammer strength stuff for pressing, but Rufus, you owe it to youself to get an olympic bar, and if the room a squat cage.

You don't need a ton of weight, and used weights/cages gym equipment can be found cheap many places.

One olympic barbell, at least 2 bumper plates to start if you want to do any oly lifts, and an assortment of cast iron plates and that is all. The list of exercises and variation of exercise you can do with this is endless.

You could add a bench if you want, but even that is not really necessary. Do all your lifts standing and you will be country strong in no time, and by using nothing to support youself but yourself all your ancillary muscles, tendons, balance, and your CNS will have no choice but to adapt as your strength increases.

****as a note for hamstrings, I liked to do straight legged dealifts off a box, letting the bar touch the top of my feet. I am very flexible in the hips, and by extending movement I can really feel it in my hamstrings,. but this was a light excercise, done with a slow negative movement. Idea is to tax hamstrings not lower back.
pjmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #75
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 7,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmariner View Post
I use them, quite a bit, Mostly for back, and I like some of the hammer strength stuff for pressing, but Rufus, you owe it to youself to get an olympic bar, and if the room a squat cage.

You don't need a ton of weight, and used weights/cages gym equipment can be found cheap many places.

****as a note for hamstrings, I liked to do straight legged dealifts off a box, letting the bar touch the top of my feet. I am very flexible in the hips, and by extending movement I can really feel it in my hamstrings,. but this was a light excercise, done with a slow negative movement. Idea is to tax hamstrings not lower back.
Space has usually been an issue, plus I have a long history of home gym machines. My first was the original Soloflex. Such a simple, fairly effective machine. Only took up a 4x4ft space. Chins, dips, squats, bench, bent rows, pulldowns, leg press and vertical sit-ups. I used to LOVE the leg press. You'd lay on the bench, with the bar about 18-20 above the bench. You'd then wriggle and squeeze yourself to get under the bar, barely able to breath, and then push. 2-300 lbs I used to do. I was very ignorant of some exercises. I never could figure out why that leg press seemed to work my butt and hamstrings more than my quads. But I did know that I loved it. I also began to wonder why my inner thigh muscle would rub together when others did not have that problem. Another great one was squats. I'd crank out low squats until I collapsed under the bar. This was no problem as once the bar hit bottom, it was done. I could just collapse out from under it. Ah, the good old days.

I have had a couple olympic bars in my day. Had a Smith Machine in the garage when I was married only to find out how constricting a straight path up can be. It did have a plate loading low and high pulley though. But it kind of sucked for bench and squats.

I got room for a bar and rack if I wanted. For now, the BioForce will be the tool of choice. But yeah. I can see getting another olympic bar and weights.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #76
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up
 
theDonnybrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Schaumburg, Illinois
Posts: 2,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Re RDL: Essentially stiff leg dead lift. I was doing them with 15lb dumbbells. I feel it in my lower back, but not so much in the glutes or hamstrings. Except for the stretch. Maybe I'll revisit that, but it has not impressed me in the past. I never really considered it for an exercise with which I would increase weigh significantly. More an exercise to do with a light weight only. At most, for me, it is good for stretching my hamstrings.
You need a form check, if you are getting low back pain, you are doing a Good Morning, not an RDL. You need to move the but back, and a little bit of knee bend helps here. Once you start moving big weight this way, you have to bend your knees. The bar should start over the center of your foot just in front of your shins. As you lift, the bar should come straight up. As you stand through the lift, drive your hips to the bar. Then drop it strait down to the same start position. The bar should move vertically, not horizontally. If you aren't sitting your butt back when you do this you are doing a low back exercise not a glutes/hams exercise. Also, keep your chest up.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SHsk9AzdjA
__________________
2012 Bont Z, 3PF 7050, ILQ9 Pro, Matter G13 110mm F1
inlinepaceline.wordpress.com
theDonnybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #77
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 7,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcom View Post
Happens a lot....you really fall into the majority of most.

Most are concerned (not saying you) about the front part of their body. Quads, chest, biceps, abs and not as concerned about the back part of their body....back, triceps, low back, hamstrings...because when you look in the mirror most of the time you look at the front part. It is what we have been programmed to think of....just look at the Gold's Gym emblem.

Most don't realize it's the back side of your body that mostly determines your athletic performance.....
Hard to pinpoint when that trend started. Probably after I separated my shoulder and got rid of my Soloflex. I was no longer doing the leg press that hit my hamstrings and butt. The replacement was a BowFlex that had cable exercises good for my shoulder rehab. Never should have got rid of the Soloflex. On the Bowflex, I did half squats. No real hammie work. No vanity involved. Just lazy I guess.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #78
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 7,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
You need a form check, if you are getting low back pain, you are doing a Good Morning, not an RDL. You need to move the but back, and a little bit of knee bend helps here. Once you start moving big weight this way, you have to bend your knees. The bar should start over the center of your foot just in front of your shins. As you lift, the bar should come straight up. As you stand through the lift, drive your hips to the bar. Then drop it strait down to the same start position. The bar should move vertically, not horizontally. If you aren't sitting your butt back when you do this you are doing a low back exercise not a glutes/hams exercise. Also, keep your chest up.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SHsk9AzdjA
Yeah, good morning is exactly what I am doing. RDL is different. Have not tried yet.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #79
Malcom
Senior Member
 
Malcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Hard to pinpoint when that trend started. Probably after I separated my shoulder and got rid of my Soloflex. I was no longer doing the leg press that hit my hamstrings and butt. The replacement was a BowFlex that had cable exercises good for my shoulder rehab. Never should have got rid of the Soloflex. On the Bowflex, I did half squats. No real hammie work. No vanity involved. Just lazy I guess.
Understood...I wasn't saying you personally....just in general.
__________________
Cancer sucks.
Malcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 04:06 AM   #80
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 7,795
Default ATG

Sooooo, I tried ATG. I was able to do 40x15, 60x10 and 60x8 with no squawks from EITHER knee. I have to fine tune where I stand relative to the pulley, yes, a drawback for not using a barbell, but overall it went well. I will work on this for the next 3 or 4 workouts and try it with the bar as well. I tried some RDL's. Yeah, I felt the gluteus doing it properly. Oh, and I think I get why ATG is so good. It seems like the whole length of the quad was "awake" for the ATG. A longer length of muscle seemed to get the pump.

Now Malcolm was mentioning those bands. I had a good look at them. In fact, I have a pair of the 12" pretty pink ones sitting in the shopping cart now.

I measured my ATG squat bar movement at about 32 inches. I was thinking to use a pair of the bands to kick in after 12 inches, stretching 20 inches.

As the bands kick in, they will each have about 25lbs resistance, upping the squat 50lbs, up to about 41lbs each, for a total of 82 lbs. (They have a chart telling you how much resistance the band gives at every 2 inches of stretch. Handy)

Trying to have my cake and eat it too. Doing this, I can use a relatively low machine weight, the weight I will HAVE to handle ATG, but still have a hefty jump at a higher squat level. Once I hit whatever weight limit on what I feel comfortable with ATG, I can LOWER my ATG weight, the machine weight, and engage the band an inch or 2 earlier. Make sense? A 2 stage squat. A simple static weight for the first 12 inches, and then a jump of 50-80 lbs, from 12-32 inches bar movement.

Anyone ever try something like this?

Edit:
Ha ha. Just found this: http://www.criticalbench.com/dumbbel...ine_squats.htm

Pretty similar thing. 2 stage.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9

Last edited by rufusprime99; March 19th, 2014 at 06:19 AM.
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
best skating exercise, skate workout

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.